Introducing the MMMA Legal Defense Alliance
The Michigan Medical Marijuana Association has teamed with Komorn Law to establish the MMMA Legal Defense Alliance. This alliance intends to provide state wide affordable access to knowledge, confidential personalized legal guidance, and discounted representation for our members and contributors in the medical cannabis community. Your support will help provide the necessary resources to assist those with emblematic or otherwise strategic cases and help offset the costs of their representation through trial court and appellate proceedings. Your support will help us to establish positive case law and provide a foundation of proper constitutional protections for patients and their caregivers. Ultimately it is our goal to provide the information necessary to prevent our members and contributors from getting arrested, but if they do, we will provide access to a medical cannabis lawyer at a discounted price. We believe that building a statewide army of medical cannabis lawyers devoted to defending our community is one of the contributions we can offer that will help change the manner in which the law enforcement community criminalizes patients and caregivers.
Our Mission: To provide specialized legal services through an affordable membership program designed exclusively for Michigan’s medical marijuana community.
Our Vision: To create a dedicated statewide membership of patients and caregivers who want to enjoy peace of mind in the medical use of cannabis by utilizing the protections afforded by the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.
The 2008 voter’s initiative, the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, received 3.3 million votes. Every county in the State had a majority vote in favor, and no other candidate, law, or issue has received as many votes in the history of Michigan elections. Yet after seven years, patients and their caregivers are still being arrested and prosecuted, Child Protective Services is still investigating and taking action, and employment, housing, and medical care difficulties are just a few of the areas that remain at issue for the cannabis community. The treatment of the MMMA as a public safety issue instead of a public health issue is the biggest indicator of the unfair resistance to a reasonable implementation of the MMMA which has been experienced by the medical marijuana community since 2009. The very persons the MMMA was intended to protect have been the most seriously affected. Consequently, constitutional issues regarding often resulting in arrest, prosecution, and an expensive legal defense for the patient or caregiver. These constitutional violations are difficult to defend against, and setting protective precedent for medical marijuana cardholders is an even more resource-intensive and stressful process.
Memberships in the MMMA Legal Defense Alliance will allow our partner law firms to pursue these important cases vigorously, helping to establish essential protections for Michigan cardholders.
Membership in the MMMA Legal Defense Alliance is $360 per year; less than $1 per day. All paid-up members to the MMMA Legal Defense Alliance receive the following benefits:
- Full access to the private MMMA Legal Defense Archive, which provides a plethora of information on topics and issues associated with medical cannabis patients and caregivers, citizen encounters with police, best practices and more.
- Get clear updates on the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act, cannabis reform, and constitutional issues during our quarterly conference call
- Special discounts at dozens of sponsoring retailers and service providers, including our partner law firms
- Priority call back for emergencies from one of our partner law firms
- 2 hours of personal legal consultation from our partner law firms (consultation by phone, in 20 minute, prescheduled increments)
- 10% discount on future legal services from our partner law firms
- Membership in the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association and the MMMA Members-only Forum is included
- Successful lawsuit versus the State of Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) to compel the hearing of a newly submitted petition to allow autism to be treated with medical marijuana (read more). The petition was recommended by the panel 4-2, but denied by the Director of LARA. A new petition will be submitted.
- Pro bono defense of any registered parent caregiver accused of a crime for treating their registered qualifying child with medical marijuana
- Appeal of People v Carruthers, or future emblematic case involving usable marijuana concentrates or infusions (read more)
- Civil action seeking remedies for patients and caregivers harmed in illegal raids by drug task force teams
- Defense of a patient in Ottawa County accused of felony possession for cannabis oil residue (read more)
- Litigation for return of items illegally seized from patients and their caregivers
Become a member of the MMMA Legal Defense Alliance today to obtain peace of mind in your own actions, as well as contribute to the overall strength of the community in the face of police, prosecutors, and judges who wish to obstruct the proper protective function of the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.
Become a Member Today!
Why Become a Member of the MMMA-LDA?
Sponsors of the MMMA-LDA
Why Become a Sponsor of the MMMA-LDA?