Cal/mag Mixing Ratio

budpuffer

hello, i recently switched from Calplex to CalMag for my plants and i'm trying to fiquire out the correct per-gallon amount to use for a soil-less media..on the bottle for hydro it uses ppms.which i know nothing about.i jug feed useing hempy buckets,media is,perl/vert,i need to know like 2tsp/per gal..etc...or someone to explain how to check ppm's..thanks all...zb

hello, i recently switched from Calplex to CalMag for my plants and i'm trying to fiquire out the correct per-gallon amount to use for a soil-less media..on the bottle for hydro it uses ppms.which i know nothing about.i jug feed useing hempy buckets,media is,perl/vert,i need to know like 2tsp/per gal..etc...or someone to explain how to check ppm's..thanks all...zb

126 ml will make nutrients for 18 gallons. Use that and adjust per volume of water.

126ml=18gal 126/18=7ml/gal. This amount is based on a formula with other things added...Veg Stage of course.......

Definition: Search for: Glossary - word Glossary - def Textbooks Protocols Images Tools Forum PubMed Links Press Releases

Biology Glossary search by EverythingBio.com

This is a way of expressing very dilute concentrations of substances. Just as per cent means out of a hundred, so parts per million or ppm means out of a million. Usually describes the concentration of something in water or soil. One ppm is equivalent to 1 milligram of something per liter of water (mg/l) or 1 milligram of something per kilogram soil (mg/kg).

Easiest way to measure is to buy a meter. IT's worth the cost......easier than lab equipement and SG calcs. Most Hydro shops carry them..Online cheaper but please help the local economy out.........

I've used around 6ml/gallon for the initial week or two of feeding plants in coco. Different than your situation, of course. I have adequate minerals in my well water, so I only use it for pre-treating and conditioning the medium initially.

Aren't there directions on the bottle? If I remember right, 6ml / gallon was about half of recommended strength for the Botanicare Cal-Mag I was using.

Found it, from their website:

Directions for Use:
Soil: Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.
Accelerated Formula: Use 2 teaspoons per gallon of water.

Hydroponics: Use with preferred hydroponic formula. Desired range of nutrients are:
Nitrogen (N) ..... 160-250 ppm
Magnesium (Mg) ..... 45-75 ppm
Calcium (Ca) ..... 160-280 ppm
Iron (Fe) ..... 2-7 ppm

CalMag_GallonBackLabel.png

I've used around 6ml/gallon for the initial week or two of feeding plants in coco. Different than your situation, of course. I have adequate minerals in my well water, so I only use it for pre-treating and conditioning the medium initially.

Aren't there directions on the bottle? If I remember right, 6ml / gallon was about half of recommended strength for the Botanicare Cal-Mag I was using.

Found it, from their website:

Directions for Use:
Soil: Use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water.
Accelerated Formula: Use 2 teaspoons per gallon of water.

Hydroponics: Use with preferred hydroponic formula. Desired range of nutrients are:
Nitrogen (N) ..... 160-250 ppm
Magnesium (Mg) ..... 45-75 ppm
Calcium (Ca) ..... 160-280 ppm
Iron (Fe) ..... 2-7 ppm

CalMag_GallonBackLabel.png

see thats the rub,the one tsp. for soil won't work because i'm not in soil,and the acclerated isn't right,don't need that..left with ppms..i'm not sure if i even need the stuff i just use it as a preventive thing.can you use too much? thanks for responding..zb

126 ml will make nutrients for 18 gallons. Use that and adjust per volume of water.

126ml=18gal 126/18=7ml/gal. This amount is based on a formula with other things added...Veg Stage of course.......

Definition: Search for: Glossary - word Glossary - def Textbooks Protocols Images Tools Forum PubMed Links Press Releases

Biology Glossary search by EverythingBio.com

This is a way of expressing very dilute concentrations of substances. Just as per cent means out of a hundred, so parts per million or ppm means out of a million. Usually describes the concentration of something in water or soil. One ppm is equivalent to 1 milligram of something per liter of water (mg/l) or 1 milligram of something per kilogram soil (mg/kg).

Easiest way to measure is to buy a meter. IT's worth the cost......easier than lab equipement and SG calcs. Most Hydro shops carry them..Online cheaper but please help the local economy out.........

thanks for the responce,i'll use the 7ml for now and see if the plants show any signs of nurt.dif...i've been useing the full line of fox farms with the Calplex and thought i'd add the Mag.in CalMag just because i can.but if i'm going to use it i want to use it right.my plants look great now,so i'm wondering if i even need to be useing it....thanks again for the info..zb

• 2 months later...

I am using the Lucas formula in DWC. Is cal/mag needed?

I'm feeding even lighter than that, at 6ml Hardwater Micro and 9ml Bloom per gallon. I used cal-mag my last two crops, but none this crop except for a bit the first two weeks (I'm growing in coco, not dwc, and coco likes to initially suck up lots of cal and mag). It seems to me that I was using cal-mag before to cover up a ph problem. I was feeding before at about 6.5 ph due to a poor ph measuring system. Now, at 5.8 ph, the plants are quite happy with light feedings and zero added cal-mag.

But, I'm using well water at about 200 ppm. What's your water source and quality? That probably determines the answer to the question.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

thanks for the responce,i'll use the 7ml for now and see if the plants show any signs of nurt.dif...i've been useing the full line of fox farms with the Calplex and thought i'd add the Mag.in CalMag just because i can.but if i'm going to use it i want to use it right.my plants look great now,so i'm wondering if i even need to be useing it....thanks again for the info..zb

If the plants look great now, why use it?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

Archived