Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

if you are growing meds for yourself, CO2 is not cost effective.... if you are cultivating marijuana illegally, or bending/breaking the MMJ laws by possessing too much cannabis because you are growing for profit.... then sure... go with CO2.... because if you are a drug dealer then you want the most you can get out of one small area for maximum profit.... if you are a legal MMJ patient who wants the highest quality meds possible for the cheapest possible price than you do not want to even think about CO2.

and its not sitting in a vaporizor ready to be vaped!

LMAO..... only you THCfarmer :D

hahaha.... actually... i was in another thread helping someone out with "little yellow flowers" and uploaded this pic for them. yeah, you had most of it down though!!

there was a light leak during the last couple weeks of flowering and this caused enough stress for this plant to produce male flowers. the general idea in that thread was that MANY plants will pop a male flower or 2 at the end if they havent been pollinated yet, but a plant with THIS many flowers has some issues with it. :D :D so yes, this plant got pulled early to avoid pollinating the others.... thus a lack of trichs/trim job. GOOD EYE!!

good to see ya!! hope you having a GREAT day!

let's pretend for a second that you dropped some dirt in a gallon milk jug and planted a seed in there. and lets say you put the cap on. eventually the seedling would die. it needs fresh air to live. it will suffocate, just as a human will suffocate with a bag tied around their head. the plant "inhales" good air and "exhales" bad air just like you and me. so eventually, it will use up all the good air, and die. so we have to open the cap and let fresh air in sometimes (vent). well, with a CO2 pumped grow room, when you vent, you are venting the CO2 as well..... so you need to "vent" (exchange air) as quick as possible...... and this can get costly.

When using C02 in a controlled environment you have to exchange the air inside the grow area because the PPM (parts per million) levels can get too high. This can lead to toxic levels of C02 which is worse than not enough C02 for your plants. And it can even become dangerous to YOU as well.

Or it will become a balancing act of C02 and Oxygen as the plants turn the C02 into 02 and the oxygen has no where to go. If there is too much 02 in the air the C02 will stay compressed at the bottom of the room and never become available to the plants. You will end up having to pump WAY too much C02 into the room to fill it up and eventually it will basically tip the scale and become toxic to the plants.

You will find yourself having to exhange the air at some point or another...

haha... YEAH... and what he said too!! :D :D

good lookin' THC

actually, there is no need to wait. we were all new once and can remember the stressing out and thinking that answers are needed NOW!! :D .... so if you beat me to it, feel free. if they don't like your answer then they can wait for mine as well. also, my log-in habits may be a bit sketchy over the next couple weeks as i will be navigating a box truck from cali. to Michigan and moving into my new house.

yes you will need to vent the room. fresh air is essential with or without CO2.... that was my reasoning for the argument. when you use CO2 in a sealed room, you need to have fans with enough cfm's to clear the room out very quickly, so your CO2 system can get back to 1500ppm after having all the air sucked out of the room. high cfm fans can cost hundreds of dollars. you wouldnt want to put a 150cfm exhaust fan in a 8' x 10' room. you would have to leave the exhaust fan running for minutes at a time, multiple times daily to circulate enough fresh air in to keep them happy, and all those minutes that the fan is running, it is sucking out your expensive CO2 from your system that is now pumping in 5th gear because your exhaust fan is on dropping the levels down too far. so you need a very high cfm fan to do the exchange quickly. so expensive high cfm fan for exhaust.... now where is the fresh air going to come from to replace the dirty air that just got sucked out? well a "free air" vent isn't gonna work. it's open all the time, so it would let CO2 leak out and it would cost a fortune to try to keep the levels up. so many times, an intake fan is needed as well. something that seals itself when not in use. and yup, you guessed it..... another high cfm fan for the intake. now we have a 800cfm fan for intake and another 800cfm fan for exhaust. both on the same timer for one minute say 8 times a day. well 2 800cfm fans aren't cheap at all. and neither is 60 bucks for a timer that you can set for one minute multiple times daily..... so we are already up into the hundreds and hundreds of dollars and haven't even started talking about the CO2 tank/regulator/ect. yet........

it's all just my opinion. if i had an endless wallet, and endless restrictions on how much medicine i could posess, then hell yeah im going all out and using CO2.... but why do i need to harvest a half pound off a plant if i can only possess 2.5 ounces?? why not go the cheaper and easier route and harvest one 2-3 ounce plant weekly without the CO2?? just makes sense to me!!

hope that rambling helped ya a little :)

I've got a 4'x8'x7' tent with a 150 cfm duct booster sucking through a carbon filter constantly as the only exhaust. The big 424 cfm is used for air-cooling the 1000w hps. Temps are fine now in the upper 70's/lower 80's. Don't know how it will be in July. The tent is hardly airtight, but it is not too bad. I'm thinking a Co2 tank will work great. Maybe not? I'll see if I even need it. That is a good point you make.

Sorry didn't mean to hi-jack your thread...lol

Your explanation is probably easier to understand. biggrin.gif

I LOL'd at "little yellow flowers"... laugh.gif

haha.. no such thing as hijacking an open thread :D

and i was laughing because i spent like 10 minutes..... smoked on it..... and then composed the easiest thing i could think of.... the plant in the milk jug..... and by the time i went through that whole process, you had already busted out a perfectly great answer. :D :D

yeah, i laughed when i saw "little yellow flowers" too.... but i have helped SO MANY people over the years, i am kind of immune to the weird questions from newbies :D

Num Nums! love-weed.gif

i have really gotten into photography over the last year..... one bad thing about that is seeing pics of specific buds like this one that are now long gone. i remember this branch very very well. :D

felt like a lead pipe in my hand when i first cut the branch off the main stem. i think i cleaned the fiskars off like 9 times trimming those 12 inches of goodness. hahahahahah :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I do photography for bands and such, never had a macro lens to get killer nug shots, but heres a couple of the finer ones.

IMG_7331-1.jpg

GDP along side a AK47xRomulan

224.jpg

Nightshade

TW.jpg

TrainWreck

DayWrecker.jpg

DayWrecker aka Headband Diesel

werd.jpg

"Meds" :D

On the pollen issue. I like to breed new strains and have found that when I see a male you can take a healthy bud or top and cut it off. Take the top to another part of the house or better another building to prevent cross pollination. Punch a hole in a black piece of paper and put the stem through and place the stem in water in a cup or something. All you do now is wait for the pollen sacs to pop and drop on to the black paper. Yellow is really obvious on black. When the stem has finished dropping pollen--and make sure there is no airflow --fans, open windows...- and then simply bend paper and let pollen slide into film canister or something similiar. You can "paint" the pollen on specific buds (no fans again) being extra careful with being precise in the painting. I use a different artist brush each time and throw the used ones out. If careful cross pollination doesnt happen but I have found that if a seed or 2 gets away from you it is more of a good surprise to the end user. I personally would love a seed or 2 as a bonus now and again. If pollen is thoroughly dried when stored there is no problem. Keep cool and dark and yes, rice is good. Don't forget to carefully remove the original male and burn asap. Hope this helps. Ricardomd

On the pollen issue. I like to breed new strains and have found that when I see a male you can take a healthy bud or top and cut it off. Take the top to another part of the house or better another building to prevent cross pollination. Punch a hole in a black piece of paper and put the stem through and place the stem in water in a cup or something. All you do now is wait for the pollen sacs to pop and drop on to the black paper. Yellow is really obvious on black. When the stem has finished dropping pollen--and make sure there is no airflow --fans, open windows...- and then simply bend paper and let pollen slide into film canister or something similiar. You can "paint" the pollen on specific buds (no fans again) being extra careful with being precise in the painting. I use a different artist brush each time and throw the used ones out. If careful cross pollination doesnt happen but I have found that if a seed or 2 gets away from you it is more of a good surprise to the end user. I personally would love a seed or 2 as a bonus now and again. If pollen is thoroughly dried when stored there is no problem. Keep cool and dark and yes, rice is good. Don't forget to carefully remove the original male and burn asap. Hope this helps. Ricardomd

very well worded and described!!

thanks for sharing your method!!!

haha, yeah the excitement of "just getting a plant to harvest" wore off years ago...... but doing your own breeding NEVER gets old. :D

LOL!! Yah I miss that strain alot, it was always very patchy w/ purple never solid green or purp, I'm mad thats my only pic of it cuz the trichs are reflecting so much light it kind of takes alot away from the beauty.

sometimes its just not good to have pics of buds....... the memories can be heart-breaking :P

i have a couple strains that i miss very much as well...... oh if i knew then what i know now!! :rolleyes:

how long did it take you to move the nugs around to get the shot "just right"? :D

Lol believe it or not that was the first shot, I spent about 5 minutes, then I messed with things for about 10 more attempts to come up with a "better" layout, but the way it loses focus on the joint and look on that one was just way to perfect, the nug in the cap is actually the trainwreck nug in that closeup and the daywrecker nug is the one laying infront of the the pile lol. All the other ones seemed like I was trying and that one was the "natural" one.

darn good luck then!! :D

i was playing around again earlier today:

What kind of camera/lens setup do you have? Also that looks hella fresh! How long ago did you clip that bad boy? I like to take nugs the size of a half dollar or so and focus on them as close as possible, I notice it ends up coming out alot more detailed then focusing in on a larger nug at a greater distance.

Areo set up pump cycle times. Either will work ,but there must be a trade off some where. ON/OFF cycles may be hard on the pumps.

Clone 24 on or on 1 min off 5 min

Veg 24 on or on 1 min off 5 min

Flower 24 on or on 1 min off 5 min

Your opinions please

What kind of camera/lens setup do you have? Also that looks hella fresh! How long ago did you clip that bad boy? I like to take nugs the size of a half dollar or so and focus on them as close as possible, I notice it ends up coming out alot more detailed then focusing in on a larger nug at a greater distance.

i just have an "out of the box" cannon powershot S2IS. 5mp with 48x total zoom. can't count how many THOUSANDS of pics i have taken playing with that darn camera. i think i have learned EVERY single function it has on it now. once i get moved and unpacked i will bring out the "hall of fame" pictures of my favs over the past year.

maybe someday i will invest in a high dollar lens....

actually, hella good eyes man. i just clipped it last night out of a friends room. figured i will play with the camera since i can't do anything but stare at it right now anyways :D