Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

by the way Jipo been running hempy for quite some time myself

:goodjob: Awesome, I can't say enough good about them, I will be switching to DWC for the sake of plant count because manually handling 30+ plants is going to be very tedious but I will always stand by them and their simplicity.

Two old guys, one 80 one 87, were sitting on their

usual park bench one morning..

The 87 year old had just finished his morning jog and

wasn't even short of breath.

The 80 year old was amazed at his friend's stamina and

asked him what he did to have so much energy.

The 87 year old said, "Well, I eat rye bread every

day. It keeps your energy level high and you'll have great

stamina with the ladies."

So, on the way home, 80 year old stops at the bakery.

As he was looking around, the lady asked if he needed any help.

He said "Do you have any Rye bread?"

She said, "Yes, there's a whole shelf of it. Would you

like some?"

He said, "I want 5 loaves."

She said, "My goodness, 5 loaves ... by the time you

get to the 3rd loaf, it'll be hard."

He replied, "I can't believe it, everybody knows about

this but me!"

:D

Back again, sorry to bug you all. . . but my girls are still not looking that great.

Got some advice from you guys back on Dec 27. Thanks everyone.

After posting the pics and getting some advice, I fed them with Fox Farms Grow Big 6-4-4, the lesser of the suggested 2-3 teaspoons per gallon recommended for general feeding. Prior to that, they'd only had pH adjusted RO/well water mix.

They're in Pro Mix, under a 400W HPS and 4 supplemental CFLs. . . in grow tent with ambient temp of 72 to 75, humidity around 45%. I always pH tested water/nutes at 7.0, runoff has so far been about the same. I've looked under the leaves with a 30X jewelers loop and a 100X mini microscope. . . I've never seen anything other than cells.

I fed them in the AM on 12.31. . . went to Chicago for NYE, ended up staying 2 nights. Came back to them looking great, much greener, and they grew a ton. One grew too close the the HPS and got a little burn (I think you can see in one of the pics).

I've watered them once since then, and they're almost in need of another watering. Still getting leaves coming out yellow, still looking droopy. Big leaves start to look like crap and go south on me.

I keep thinking they just need something other than the FF nutes, they just aren't thriving. That Pro Mix isn't really like a 'dirt'. . it's very fibrous and I'm starting to think it's lacking.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

There's the one I burned while gone for 2 days.

gallery_15108_565_113758.jpg

gallery_15108_565_36444.jpg

gallery_15108_565_50900.jpg

Below is a close up of a new grow leaf down near the bottom. . . why are they coming out yellow?

gallery_15108_565_57145.jpg

Below is on a mother plant I brought in less than a week ago. . . it didn't have the spots when I brought her in.

gallery_15108_565_42367.jpg

Thanks for looking. . . I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Les

Back again, sorry to bug you all. . . but my girls are still not looking that great.

Got some advice from you guys back on Dec 27. Thanks everyone.

After posting the pics and getting some advice, I fed them with Fox Farms Grow Big 6-4-4, the lesser of the suggested 2-3 teaspoons per gallon recommended for general feeding. Prior to that, they'd only had pH adjusted RO/well water mix.

They're in Pro Mix, under a 400W HPS and 4 supplemental CFLs. . . in grow tent with ambient temp of 72 to 75, humidity around 45%. I always pH tested water/nutes at 7.0, runoff has so far been about the same. I've looked under the leaves with a 30X jewelers loop and a 100X mini microscope. . . I've never seen anything other than cells.

I fed them in the AM on 12.31. . . went to Chicago for NYE, ended up staying 2 nights. Came back to them looking great, much greener, and they grew a ton. One grew too close the the HPS and got a little burn (I think you can see in one of the pics).

I've watered them once since then, and they're almost in need of another watering. Still getting leaves coming out yellow, still looking droopy. Big leaves start to look like crap and go south on me.

I keep thinking they just need something other than the FF nutes, they just aren't thriving. That Pro Mix isn't really like a 'dirt'. . it's very fibrous and I'm starting to think it's lacking.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking. . . I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Les

Hi Les. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you've come to the right place. Many of the growers here have been through what you are experiencing now, and there's a great wealth of knowledge here. To start with, can you provide some more information about your plants? How old are they? What is your source for water? City water out of the tap, or well water, or RO water? You're right about ProMix not being really like dirt. It is a soil-less mix of several things, including some time released nutes. I believe that there are better choices than ProMix available, but that's what you're in so you may just have to ammend it a bit.

There is a great deal of useful information at this site... http://www.rollitup.org/marijuana-plant-problems/216537-self-diagnose-your-plants.html.

When you get the chance, tell us as much about your grow as you can. It will help the experienced growers here to advise you.

Good luck!

Toad

Hi Les. Sorry to hear about your troubles, but you've come to the right place. Many of the growers here have been through what you are experiencing now, and there's a great wealth of knowledge here. To start with, can you provide some more information about your plants? How old are they? What is your source for water? City water out of the tap, or well water, or RO water? You're right about ProMix not being really like dirt. It is a soil-less mix of several things, including some time released nutes. I believe that there are better choices than ProMix available, but that's what you're in so you may just have to ammend it a bit.

There is a great deal of useful information at this site... http://www.rollitup....our-plants.html.

When you get the chance, tell us as much about your grow as you can. It will help the experienced growers here to advise you.

Good luck!

Toad

I fed them with Fox Farms Grow Big 6-4-4, the lesser of the suggested 2-3 teaspoons per gallon recommended for general feeding. Prior to that, they'd only had pH adjusted RO/well water mix. I use approximately 1/3 well water and 2/3 RO, adjusted to about 7.0 pH. I do not know the TDS for my well water... waiting on a TDS meter to arrive in the mail.

I have 2 Strawberry Kush, 1 Fruit of the Gods, and 1 Burmese Kush plants. . . all purchased at a Kzoo disp. about a month ago. They were in rockwool when I bought them.

I've seen the trouble-shooting link you provided. . . the one that closest resembles my problem is a Mg deficiency, maybe some Ca as well. They definitely loved the first feeding, not sure if I should feed again now, maybe with some Cal/Mag. I don't know. . . I just know they need something soon.

Thanks.

I fed them with Fox Farms Grow Big 6-4-4, the lesser of the suggested 2-3 teaspoons per gallon recommended for general feeding. Prior to that, they'd only had pH adjusted RO/well water mix. I use approximately 1/3 well water and 2/3 RO, adjusted to about 7.0 pH. I do not know the TDS for my well water... waiting on a TDS meter to arrive in the mail.

I have 2 Strawberry Kush, 1 Fruit of the Gods, and 1 Burmese Kush plants. . . all purchased at a Kzoo disp. about a month ago. They were in rockwool when I bought them.

I've seen the trouble-shooting link you provided. . . the one that closest resembles my problem is a Mg deficiency, maybe some Ca as well. They definitely loved the first feeding, not sure if I should feed again now, maybe with some Cal/Mag. I don't know. . . I just know they need something soon.

Thanks.

In a previous post, you mentioned "going out to check on them"... I'm just curious about temperature fluctuations. Are they maintained at the temps you mentioned throughout the day and night?

You have Hydroton pebbles mixed in with you ProMix. I'm not familiar with that technique. Was that to economize on soil-less mix? The baked clay pebbles are generally used in hydroponics. Through the magic of capillary action, the stones provide water and nutrients to the roots growing throughout the stones. When growing in soil or soil-less mix, you should compress the soil to eliminate air pockets which can have a detrimental effect on the roots.

If for some reason your young plants are experiencing a root lock-up, you should flush your pots with pH'd water equal to twice the size of your containers. The fact that you've been feeding them without any good results could indicate a root lock-up. Have you tried foliar spraying? Just curious, 'cause if you have and it makes them happy, I'd say your roots aren't doing their job. Or your soil is out of whack.

The edges of the leaves are the most sensitive, and will likely display problems first. If you are giving them 6-4-4 and the new growth is yellow, they're not getting it. The plant has it's own pumping system, usually a form of diffusion, drawing water and nutes from an area of high concentration (the soil) to an area of low concentration (the plant). Your new growth being yellow and old growth shrivelling could indicate that your pump is not working, ie: lock-out. Or it could be that you are watering too much. How often are you watering?

These plants are really resilient Les. Try to relax. Everything about this takes some time... lots of time!

I'm waiting for someone who really knows their stuff to chime in here. Where are you guys at?

Thanks.

Where are you guys at?

sorry, doing a lot of sleeping. i been in bad shape for a couple days.

toad had ya going perfect. +rep toad.

looks like a possibly a combo of lock-out and maybe over watering as well.

im not a know it all by any means.

it sure looks like over watering to me

:thumbsu: :thumbsu:

your lockout could be caused by overfeeding or maybe even that well water you are using.

just out of curiousity, why use 1/3 when it seems like you could be going with 100% r.o.??

unfortunately, if they are over watered, its about to get a bit worse, because i would flush the hell out of your soil... and then let it dry out ALMOST COMPLETELY before watering again. then resume nutes. go light, and make sure you are letting your soil REALLY get dry before watering again....... they look like pretty well established plants so you should be fine in the end.

those white spots really do look like mites to me. or could very well possibly be anyways. i know you said you have checked, but i would spray anyways.

another thing to remember is once a leaf begins to brown/die it is going to finish browning/dying. even if you locate and fix the problem, 99 times out of 100 the damage is done. the leaf isnt going to heal and turn healthy green again.

with that being said, regardless of what you plant looks like now, your main focus should be on the new growth. if the new growth on top is coming out green and healthy and coming at a good pace, you are doing good.

keep us posted on what you do and if you need more help. sorry it took so long to answer, it normally doesnt take so long :)

I'm using one of the ActiveAQUA pumps to run twelve ten gallon totes. I do have a few with 12" stones in them, but the 6" work fine. One line to each six inch stone, the dark blue ones with no plastic around them. I'd call it turbulence! This pump puts out some air!

I just switched over from the Meijer Pumps to one of the active pumps for my 6 totes in veg. Man, those sure do pump out a lot of air!

sorry it took so long to answer, it normally doesnt take so long :)

Hey! Thanks for joining in. I know the stress that Less is going through. Seems like just yesterday I was killing my first plant. LOL!

Sorry to hear about your troubles BG. I'm hoping that better days are coming!

In a previous post, you mentioned "going out to check on them"... I'm just curious about temperature fluctuations. Are they maintained at the temps you mentioned throughout the day and night?

You have Hydroton pebbles mixed in with you ProMix. I'm not familiar with that technique. Was that to economize on soil-less mix? The baked clay pebbles are generally used in hydroponics. Through the magic of capillary action, the stones provide water and nutrients to the roots growing throughout the stones. When growing in soil or soil-less mix, you should compress the soil to eliminate air pockets which can have a detrimental effect on the roots.

If for some reason your young plants are experiencing a root lock-up, you should flush your pots with pH'd water equal to twice the size of your containers. The fact that you've been feeding them without any good results could indicate a root lock-up. Have you tried foliar spraying? Just curious, 'cause if you have and it makes them happy, I'd say your roots aren't doing their job. Or your soil is out of whack.

The edges of the leaves are the most sensitive, and will likely display problems first. If you are giving them 6-4-4 and the new growth is yellow, they're not getting it. The plant has it's own pumping system, usually a form of diffusion, drawing water and nutes from an area of high concentration (the soil) to an area of low concentration (the plant). Your new growth being yellow and old growth shrivelling could indicate that your pump is not working, ie: lock-out. Or it could be that you are watering too much. How often are you watering?

These plants are really resilient Les. Try to relax. Everything about this takes some time... lots of time!

I'm waiting for someone who really knows their stuff to chime in here. Where are you guys at?

I'll try to answer you and BG's questions in the same post.

The hydroton is only a small layer on the top, to minimize evaporation at the top of the soil. . . its supposed to promote roots at the surface of the soil. The temps in the tent are always between 72 and 76.

I've been letting the soil get super dry before I water. . . the top is crispy dry, and pots are VERY light -- then I water. I pH test everything going in and coming. . . the water and nutes I've put in have always been around 7.0, as well as the runoff.

Nutes actually did wonders the one time I fed them. . . I just think that Pro Mix has basically nothing in it as far as nutes. I was going to do nutes, water, water, and then nutes again. I did nutes on 12/31 (they loved it), and I watered on the 5th. The pots are now very light and are about ready for another watering. . . but I think they could use another hit of nutes.

I was using part well water for the trace elements. . . if you think I should go straight RO, so be it. Done.

I'm very paranoid about over watering, and I just don't think it's possible, with all due respect to you guys. The pots are literally weightless when I finally water them. . in fact the last time I watered, I thought I could have done so a bit sooner as the plants were very droopy when I got out of bed that morning.

BG, you said to spray for mites. What do I use?

Thanks for your help, everyone. . . I really appreciate it.

The hydroton is only a small layer on the top, to minimize evaporation at the top of the soil. . . its supposed to promote roots at the surface of the soil. The temps in the tent are always between 72 and 76.

I've been letting the soil get super dry before I water. . . the top is crispy dry, and pots are VERY light -- then I water. I pH test everything going in and coming. . . the water and nutes I've put in have always been around 7.0, as well as the runoff.

Nutes actually did wonders the one time I fed them. . . I just think that Pro Mix has basically nothing in it as far as nutes. I was going to do nutes, water, water, and then nutes again. I did nutes on 12/31 (they loved it), and I watered on the 5th. The pots are now very light and are about ready for another watering. . . but I think they could use another hit of nutes.

I was using part well water for the trace elements. . . if you think I should go straight RO, so be it. Done.

I'm very paranoid about over watering, and I just don't think it's possible, with all due respect to you guys. The pots are literally weightless when I finally water them. . in fact the last time I watered, I thought I could have done so a bit sooner as the plants were very droopy when I got out of bed that morning.

my super sincerest apologies here. i REALLY have not been feeling well......... maybe i should just log out for a couple days until i get my head right :)

obviously over-watering probably isnt the problem.

refresh me here real quick and save me some troubles.

how old are they?

in veg or flower?

and they under a 400w HPS?

and you are in pro-mix and only fed them once so far?

ok, for the mites, if they are in veg, i would make up a mix of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water and go to town on them. be sure to spray the entire plant, especially the undersides of the leaves.....thats where mites hang out. make sure to either turn off your lights or move them way up out of the way to avoid further stress on them.

if they are in flower, i'd use some neem oil or azamax and use as directed on package.

i'll do my best to stay awake and await your answers :)

les you are correct, pro mix has many different products, but I am guessing you are using the readily available BX series....this is nothing more than a growing medium, you have to provide the nutes, and I would reverse your feeding order to NUTES, NUTES, WATER...just flush before you move from veg to flower.....

and I dont think those spots are mites, but you can never be to careful.....

Edited by BubbleBerryKush

did i mention how awsome you guys are today?

That same awesomeness that exists out therespace4.jpgflows through some individual human beings here and is transmitted to other individual humansHumans.jpgby various methods, including but not limited to, caring for others in need, sharing knowledge and information, giving of their substance when able to do so, and otherwise advancing mankind through compassion and love...helping-hand.jpg4589.jpgloveuniverse.jpgYes, thanks for all you guys do...

my super sincerest apologies here. i REALLY have not been feeling well......... maybe i should just log out for a couple days until i get my head right :)

obviously over-watering probably isnt the problem.

refresh me here real quick and save me some troubles.

how old are they?

in veg or flower?

and they under a 400w HPS?

and you are in pro-mix and only fed them once so far?

ok, for the mites, if they are in veg, i would make up a mix of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water and go to town on them. be sure to spray the entire plant, especially the undersides of the leaves.....thats where mites hang out. make sure to either turn off your lights or move them way up out of the way to avoid further stress on them.

if they are in flower, i'd use some neem oil or azamax and use as directed on package.

i'll do my best to stay awake and await your answers :)

I didn't see a time stamp on your post. . . I hope you didn't stay up too late waiting for me to reply.

Anyway. . . they were bought in their rockwool about 5 weeks ago. They are now between 8" and 16" tall. Yes to the 400W HPS. Yes, they're in Pro Mix, but I've fed them for the 2nd time today. I've switched the nutes, though. I fed them once on NYE morning with FF 'Grow Big', which had no Ca or Mg,.

I fed them today with Sensi A and B. . . they have similar numbers for the big 3, but also has Ca and Mg. They're perking up already. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your time, guys. I wouldn't be doing this without the help.

Les

switching the nutes probably wasnt the greatest idea right now, but im sure you will pull through.

yeah use the 50-50 alcohol/water mix just to be safe..... water is free and rubbing alcohol is $2 :) i would hate to see you get mites now,on top of everything else.

yes, regardless of if you are in promix, or the bx, its time to feed them for sure.

keep us posted......... i'll wake up and we'll get ya through

switching the nutes probably wasnt the greatest idea right now, but im sure you will pull through.

yeah use the 50-50 alcohol/water mix just to be safe..... water is free and rubbing alcohol is $2 :) i would hate to see you get mites now,on top of everything else.

yes, regardless of if you are in promix, or the bx, its time to feed them for sure.

keep us posted......... i'll wake up and we'll get ya through

I hear you on the nutes (wrist slap). . . I figured I was going to add some Cal/Mag either way, since the FF was totally lacking anything other than N, P, & K.

I fed them per the Sensi instructions, checked them a couple of hours ago, will do so again here around 9.

Thanks again, will be treating with them with the the alcohol/water mix tomorrow.

With BG not feeling well, I will try to help... 1st it is important to get your feed/water schedule optimized, true you dont want to overwater, but waiting till the soil pulls away from the sides and/or soil almost bone dry is hurting your roots. If there is no moisture, the root tips start to die off, which can lead to more problems.

By what you are saying about the little food you have given, how well they respond to food, and that the ph going in and out is at 7ish, I would say to feed them. My question is about what you fed them, Grow Big 6-4-4 by itself may not be adequate? When I tried FF a couple years ago, it was used in conjunction with Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom +. I just saw you posted about feeding Sensi A and B (guess I was a bit slow). I do beleive giving them a full balanced meal was all they needed.

Good Luck!