Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Wow looks like a pretty crazy setup, I've been trying to figure out exactly how I want to run mine since I'm limited to 12 little plants. I can do a mother/clone room in one and then a flowering room, I don't know if I want to deal with perpetual on such a small scale or not, I'm thinking 1 patient would be a nice move to make as well. What would you do if these were your limitations

(1)10x10 room

(1) 52"x48"x30" Mother tent

(1)1000w hps

(1)600w mh

(12)Independent bubble buckets

(2-3) mothers

(12) plant limit.

GO! :lol:

Wow looks like a pretty crazy setup, I've been trying to figure out exactly how I want to run mine since I'm limited to 12 little plants. I can do a mother/clone room in one and then a flowering room, I don't know if I want to deal with perpetual on such a small scale or not, I'm thinking 1 patient would be a nice move to make as well. What would you do if these were your limitations

(1)10x10 room

(1)1000w hps

(1)600w mh

(2-3) mothers

(12) plant limit.

Ok I was wondering about this, do your mother and clones count in your 12 plants???

Ok I was wondering about this, do your mother and clones count in your 12 plants???

Yeah unfortunately. Now if I had a 24 plant limit all would be easy.

4 mothers in tent

1 clone of each every other week.

4 weeks veg from cutting

4 plants every other week.

It would be a much more simple world if I had 1 patient, but I don't want any patients I don't know.(long story, bad outcome, lesson learned)

BUBBLEGROWERS 2 PLANT "ON A BUDGET?" BUBBLETOTE FOR UNDER $30 COMPLETE

ok follks, here we go. simple to build, simple to operate, and VERY cheap to set-up. let's start with the parts. everything is from either meijer or wal-mart. if you click on each part, there will be a link to the EXACT same item i am using in this application. the only things not avaliable at meijer/wal-mart are a couple 5" net pots and some hydroton clay pebbles. you can pick those up at your local hydro store or online.

PARTS:

10-gallon Sterilte storage tote. the link is for a bulk purchase, but they are $3.49/each in the store. wal-mart.

20-60 gallon aquarium air pump. $8.99 in store. wal-mart.

meijer seems to have a janky online spread, and i can't find these items online, but they have these 2 items in the pet/fish dept. the air stones are $2.29 and 25ft of air line was $2.89 i believe.

med_gallery_13801_60_236170.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_228529.jpg

and then as was stated, you will need to pick up two 5" net pots ($2.00) and a small bag of hydroton clay pebbles ($5) at the local hydro store.

so here is what our mess is looking like so far:

med_gallery_13801_60_96598.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_405369.jpg

let's start with the hardest part first. the holes in the lid of the tote. and folks, it aint hard at all. ok, when using a 5" net pot, you want your hole to be about 4 3/4". we don't need the net pot falling through into the water/nutes below. i would recommend practicing real quick on a piece of cardboard before you actually cut the lid. just to be sure everything fits before you mess up a brand new tote. ok, 4 3/4" hole. you know what you have laying around the house that is perfectly 4 3/4" in diamater?

med_gallery_13801_60_391096.jpg

yup, a compact disc. ready-made template for your holes. now this isnt rocket science, just eyeball out a couple holes on the lid and trace the cd with a marker.

med_gallery_13801_60_58881.jpg

don't have a 4 3/4" hole saw? neither do i, a razor knife works fine. take your time, "score" the plastic a few times around..... you probably won't get it to just cut right out. but remember, this is by far the hardest part of the whole process, so concentrate on not slicing your fingers off, and when you get done, you have this:

med_gallery_13801_60_117951.jpg

hard part is over. i swear. ok, next step. we do need 2 more holes in our bubbletote, but they are kinda already there for us. in the model of sterilite brand tote i used here, there are pre-drilled drain holes in the handles:

med_gallery_13801_60_229681.jpg

but these holes aren't quite big enough to slip our aquarium air line through so we need to make them just a touch larger. sneak into the kitchen (hopefully the wife is on the couch and mesmorized by the new episode of Gray's Anatomy) and snag a steak knife. just kinda stick the tip in the hole and twist it around a few times.

med_gallery_13801_60_294395.jpg

ok, do both sides:

med_gallery_13801_60_112945.jpg

awesome. now we are getting somewhere. next cut off a section of air line..... 5 feet or so is good. i like to have enough excess air line that i can move my air pump well out of the way. run the air line through the hole you just widened:

med_gallery_13801_60_284026.jpg

and then attach one of your 6" air stones from meijer. i like these particular stones because they are fairly heavy and will stay on the bottom without help.

med_gallery_13801_60_1392.jpg

and then connect the other end of the air line to your new air pump.

med_gallery_13801_60_171249.jpg

and repeat the same process using the other hole/air stone and plug it into the other outlet on your air pump.

med_gallery_13801_60_350479.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_216794.jpg

holy smokes folks........ i think we are on to something now :D let's fill this bad boy machine with some water now.

med_gallery_13801_60_194648.jpg

ok, this is kind of critical for down the road. i fill one gallon containers and dump them in. measuring how much water i add to get to "my point". that point is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch below the net pot. if you keep the water level about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch below the bottom of the net pot, you have reached the sweet spot. the air stone in the bottom of the bubbletote will shoot air bubbles upwards through the water. when these bubbles reach the surface they pop. the goal is to find the perfect level to where the net pot is not sitting in the water, but actually the bubbles are popping on the surface and just getting the bottom of the net pot wet. once the bottom of the net pot gets wet, it will transfer that moisture to the bottom layer of hydroton pebbles. the pebbles then transfer the perfect amount of water/air between themselves and eventually to the rockwool cube. the cube will stay damp, but not "soaked".

once the roots form and grow through the rockwool cube, they will continue growing through the clay pebbles, and then through the sides of the net pot, and ultimately down to thrive in the nute/air filled goodness of the solution.

this is a good time to take one of your net pots out of the lid so you can peek inside and get the water level just right.

med_gallery_13801_60_284240.jpg

once you hit your spot, i draw a line on the side of the tote. on the inside. with a magic marker. you could also use a piece of tape or something. since i kept track of how much i added, i know it took me EXACTLY 6 gallons of water to hit the spot. that will help down the road after doing flushes. after flushing you can just re-fill to your line and add nutes accordingly for 6 gallons of water. ;) here's our line:

med_gallery_13801_60_328121.jpg

well hell....... let's plug this puppy in and see some bubbles.

bubblegrower likes:

med_gallery_13801_60_30690.jpg

ok. let's grow something. got your clones rooted? me either, so let's pretend for a minute:

med_gallery_13801_60_346759.jpg

ok, i start with a thin layer of clay pebbles on the bottom of the net pot:

med_gallery_13801_60_337131.jpg

then set the clone/rockwool in the net pot and cover the rest of the way with the hydroton pebbles:

med_gallery_13801_60_57575.jpg

and then repeat of course, and folks, you have a built yourself a bubbletote:

med_gallery_13801_60_88963.jpg

and soon, you will have this:

med_gallery_13801_60_851569.jpg

congrats!!

this system will maintain 2 plants all the way to harvest. occasionally, depending on strain/veg time, a plant may "outgrow" the tote. well, not really outgrow it, but with larger strains, after sometime you may want to move them to one plant/ tote. it is very simple to move plants if you have to. just pull out the net pot and all the roots, and put into another tote. if you grow mostly indica strains, you will have no problem with 2 plants in one tote all the way to the end. some sativas that get long and lanky may want the whole space to themselves...........

peace, love, and BIG happy grows:

med_gallery_13801_60_101089.jpg

(1)10x10 room

(1)1000w hps

(1)600w mh

(2-3) mothers

(12) plant limit.

12 PLANT PERPETUAL BEDROOM GROW

so you wanna turn an extra bedroom into a grow room. 12 plant limit..... perpetual....... harvesting 1-2 ounces about every 9 days i figure. with our limitations, a mother or 2 is possible, but i would pick good strains, cause you gonna be smoking a lot of it :) depends on your preference. too bad we can't have more mothers :)

ok....... you gonna have to build a cab or something for the mom and clones. nothing extravagant.... just something with a few cfl's in it to get clones rooted and to keep mom kinda small. if you dont want to build a cab, i guess you could just use the 600w MH for moms, clones, and veg....... just make sure moms and clones are pretty far away from the light. whatever you want, but i would use the tent for flowering and the rest of the open space for veg/clones/mothers

so we have 2 moms.... 2 plants down, 10 to go. im seeing 6 in flower at all times.

lets cut it into 9 day segments. if 12 weeks is 84 days, lets make ten 9-day segments......... equals 90 days. good cycle time.

2 mothers (numbered #1 and #2 in diagram below) and then:

1-8 new clone cutting being rooted #3

9-17 one plant in veg #4

18-27 one plant in veg #5

28-36 one plant in veg #6

37-45 one plant freshly moved to the flower room #7

46-54 one plant in the 2 week stretch #8

55-63 one plant just over 2 week stretch and blooming #9

64-72 one plant packing on weight #10

73-81 one plant finishing weight packing #11

82-90 one plant in flush #12

i think thats 12 :) every 9 days you would be harvesting one plant, and cutting a new clone off the mothers. switching mothers every other 9 days. yup, so every 9th day a plant moves up in the order until finish. this is once again, assuming about a 12.5 week cycle.

so under your 600w MH you would have the 2 mothers, one freshly rooted clone, and 3 plants at various stages of veg state. thats 6 plants.

and then in the flower tent, there are another 6 plants 9 days apart. plant one is just entering the tent, and plant 6 is on its way to the chopping block.

the veg/clone area could either be a grow tent or a wood/panda film room.

on 2nd thought. use the tent for veg and the open room for flower. you will have plants flowering at DRASTICALLY different heights. you will need a lot of space to move those milk crates around :rolleyes:

even if you have to make a make-shift wall in your tent.... a small cornered off part with cfl's for the mothers and one clone.

p.s. i would say thats gonna cost you a $5 donation to the site, but i know you already donated for the chat room so you off the hook ;)

j/k bro......... i hope this puts some ideas in your head though. a 12 plant perpetual CAN be done........ so see there all you patients....... unless you are blowing through more than 1-2 ounces every 9 days, there is no reason your caregiver should ever have you without meds.

Yeah I was def planning on mothering in the tent, its short in height won't be good for flower, plus its small. Last night I decided first run for mother selection will be

DNA Sour Cream

The Church

White Rhino

Arjans Strawberry Haze

Lemon Skunk

And Hawaiian Snow

The Haze, Snow and Cream are sativas, I've read the cream stays shorter (5') or so, but the Haze and Snow have a tendency to be very tall, especially since I'm going 10gal res buckets. Unless I get the strawberry pheno on the haze its not going to be a mother, and from what I hear the GHS strawberry pheno is rare. The snow has a very high CBD pheno so I'm hoping to get that and mother it since it will be a good day time medicine for my pain. Then I'm very torn on the Lemon, Rhino and Church. I've had Lemon and Rhino, both are two of my favs and the Church I've never had but I've read a lot about it and if its really as good as I hear both production and potency wise I see myself taking that one. I have extra Lemon Skunk and Church seeds though so I may just end up keeping the rhino around for a little bit since its my only seed.

The reason I chose 6 potential mothers is I have 3 autoflower seeds, so my plan is let the mothers veg a good 7-9 weeks while the autoflowers grow out, giving me enough to last while I wait for the potential mommies to flower. Just prior to putting the 6 in flower I'm going to take a cutting of each, make sure it roots and then move the 6 huge plants to flower. The 6 rooted clones will be labeled and veg while the others flower. Then at that point I'll pick the 2 mothers, take 3 clippings of each and put the 6 large plants in the flower again, veg out the 2 sets of 3 mother clones, after 3-4 weeks I'll add one and every 9 days after that add one of them to flower until I have only 2 of the mothers room. Should be a nice way to go into the perpetual.

p.s. i would say thats gonna cost you a $5 donation to the site, but i know you already donated for the chat room so you off the hook ;)

j/k bro......... i hope this puts some ideas in your head though. a 12 plant perpetual CAN be done........ so see there all you patients....... unless you are blowing through more than 1-2 ounces every 9 days, there is no reason your caregiver should ever have you without meds.

:lol: I go through like a 1/2oz every 7-10 days so I'd be fine, I'm also trying to see if any of my friends who could get a card will make me their caregiver and I'll double up on plants and give them free meds.

yeah doubling everything if you can acquire a patient would be the way to go. not only could you maintain 4 mothers, and share 4 different strains between you, you could both medicate VERY heavily and have overages as well for medibles or dispensaries (if that ever gets straightened away) and you could pay the bills with that. depending of course on your patients med needs, you could conceivably both medicate off the same plant and have one extra plant every 9 days also.

AND YOU WOULD BE HELPING ANOTHER PATIENT GET THEIR MEDS!!

the theories are endless :)

Just an update on my post here yesterday (coco grow, yellow, droopy, spotted leaves). I bought a PH pen (an Oakton) to replace my sorry, shameful, sad, silly, superlatively stupid setup of testing PH with General Hydro. test drops. PH was probably the problem. What seemed to measure out at 6.0 with drops measures at 6.7 with the Oakton meter. Yes, I did calibrate the meter with the 7.0 PH calibration solution. The meter measured 6.5 in the 7.0 PH calibration solution out of the box before calibrating. So much for factory calibration!

So, I flushed with 5.5 PH, 150ppm well water, no nutes. Runoff measured out at 6.3 PH, 1.3 EC (650ppm @ 500 conversion factor). So, I don't think I over-ferted too badly, but definitely missed my target of 5.5-6.0 PH

Here's a photo of how the different the two PH measurements. Not sure the photo shows it clearly enough, but the PH test drops show a color so bright orange I would have put it quite near 5.0, while the meter puts it at 5.7. I should have taken a photo of the attempt at 6.0 PH with test drops (that's been my usual set point). In that case I added PH down to get the water to 6 PH according to the yellow color of the test drops. The meter, though, told me I was actually at 6.7!

med_gallery_4966_86_41637.jpg

I think I'll spend a minute searching around here and editing any posts where I may have said that the PH test drops will work OK if you just want a cheap and rough PH reading. That's obviously not true here. Maybe my PH test solution is old or inaccurate (about 2 years old), but it sure isn't working now!

i think ya solved your own problem boroboro ;)

now if i were you, i would let these puppies dry ALMOST COMPLETELY out before going any further. i still honestly believe that excess water may be a problem, and now you have just flushed, therefore suffocating the roots even more. it is gonna take a week or two to get things back on track 100%, but you are on the way. nice save my friend.

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/index.php?/gallery/image/917-2010-05-25-191916jpg/

PLEASE HELP MY BABIES! Can anyone please take a look at the link above and look at my leaves. They are curling slightly and seem to be exhibiting some sort of stress. I cant load pictires to this post for some reason, but if you click on the link I posted and go to 3rd leaves, you will see the spots where they're brown on the leaves. Tips along the jagged edges are slightly curled under and turning brown. Foxfarms Ocean Forrest soil clay pots and 7.0 ph water.

http://www.michiganm...5-25-191916jpg/

PLEASE HELP MY BABIES! Can anyone please take a look at the link above and look at my leaves. They are curling slightly and seem to be exhibiting some sort of stress. I cant load pictires to this post for some reason, but if you click on the link I posted and go to 3rd leaves, you will see the spots where they're brown on the leaves. Tips along the jagged edges are slightly curled under and turning brown. Foxfarms Ocean Forrest soil clay pots and 7.0 ph water.

is the super silver haze the only one? because honestly dude, i dont see any need to freak out at all. i think things are looking pretty dang good. fresh green growth on tops, decent density, ect.........

if they were all covered in spots like that then i would be alarmed, but for now just sit back and watch for a few days. those first couple sets of leaves don't last forever :)

keep us posted though over the next couple days, but i think you are just fine my man.

anyone else seeing anything?? i mean i havent medicated so i dont have my plant goggles on today :P

is the super silver haze the only one? because honestly dude, i dont see any need to freak out at all. i think things are looking pretty dang good. fresh green growth on tops, decent density, ect.........

if they were all covered in spots like that then i would be alarmed, but for now just sit back and watch for a few days. those first couple sets of leaves don't last forever :)

keep us posted though over the next couple days, but i think you are just fine my man.

anyone else seeing anything?? i mean i havent medicated so i dont have my plant goggles on today :P

Yeah they look good and healthy, going to call it now that those gentlemen are gonna streeeeeeetch good and tall :lol:

yup, i have seen way too many dead plants because of newbie freak-out. i will get a pic just like the one kgb posted, with the caption

"well, last week they looked like this, and i thought maybe "x" was missing so i added some of this and this. but that didnt work so a friend told me to try adding some of this, but i didnt have the money to buy that so i tried this instead.........and now they are DEAD?? WTF did i do wrong"?

thanks for NOT being one of those folks kgb ;)

not bashing newer growers. we were ALL new once......... just saying that sometimes less is better.

Hey Bubble thanks for the great info in this post, yours and some of the other posts have been very helpful. My question has to do with PH when using an aero cloner. I just purchased one and can't find anything about PH. Any help would be much appreciated

Hey Bubble thanks for the great info in this post, yours and some of the other posts have been very helpful. My question has to do with PH when using an aero cloner. I just purchased one and can't find anything about PH. Any help would be much appreciated

between 6.5 and 7.0 is just perfect for cloning in the aero ;)

i use just plain r.o. water. nothing else at all.

I just got back from the store. I am going to construct my own bubble tote. I purchased a Tetra 30-60 gallon Whisper Air Pump. They had the smaller 10-30 whisper air pump on sale. Would the smaller pump be adequate for a 10 gallon tote? I got the 6" air stones. How do the 12" air stones work? Is bigger not better?

I also got a 10 gallon air pump, a 6" stone, a small 6 qt tote, and some aluminum tape that I am going to turn into a bubble cloner. Will the size of tote and 6" stone work? I have read other posts about bubble cloners on OG. Is the 6" stone too big or not big enough? I couldn't remember the size of stone for a cloner. Looking back at the post on OG ( https://www.opengrow.com/index.php?showtopic=37466&hl=Kush%20%20Super%20Silver%20Haze&st=0 )the stone that the grower there used looked like a 12" bar air stone, but his tote was also much bigger. I only need about 8 slots (darn 12 plant limit!) I kept the receipt so I can exchange stuff if I need to. I also could use the equipment that I have to make worm compost tea and get new stuff for my cloner. What do you thing BubbleGrower?

i was wounding if you guys knew if your plants would Finnish faster with co2 ?bubble grower you sure are a great poster here helping all the time i thank you very much i grow in dirt still. but i am building a room and am done now am getting ready to start my OWN grow i have something going now but i can do way better

am not going to get clones from any body but i still want them to know that i/we do thank them for trying to help But i want my own bred going some thing i know that will be best for my pain you see i was a grower

and now i am a grower Peace

PS BG do you still want me to sent you the link to are story