Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Do you get more yellowing on plants that are directly beneath the light, BG? This is the case in my current garden. The fan leaves of the plants nearer to the light are still perfectly healthy looking in form, but they are a beautiful shade of bright yellow instead of green like the ones around the edge. I don't really mind because these plants are well into flowering. I wonder if more light means more nitrogen is required. I guess so if they are growing faster due to more light.

No, light doesn't seem to have anything to do w/ it. It started on the fan leaves but after i cut them off, more than 50% damaged, some smaller leaves started to look like this. New growth looks fine.

No, light doesn't seem to have anything to do w/ it. It started on the fan leaves but after i cut them off, more than 50% damaged, some smaller leaves started to look like this. New growth looks fine.

Sorry. I was asking Bubblegrower about my grow. Mine aren't damaged, they are just yellowing faster in the center of the square.

Do you get more yellowing on plants that are directly beneath the light, BG? This is the case in my current garden. The fan leaves of the plants nearer to the light are still perfectly healthy looking in form, but they are a beautiful shade of bright yellow instead of green like the ones around the edge. I don't really mind because these plants are well into flowering. I wonder if more light means more nitrogen is required. I guess so if they are growing faster due to more light.

you know, thats a great question..... and one there really isnt an answer to. i think a lot has to do with strain, lamp wattage, and how close to the lamp you have your leaves. i have had plants finish with yellow fan leaves on top, green ones, brown crispy ones, and even none at all. i think its a combination of everything, and with us pumping them full of nutes and blinding them with lumens, by the time they get done, those top fan leaves are just plain worked to death.

now i have had a couple strains that i grew out cycle after cycle for years and was able to get everything dialed in to where i had a perfect looking plant at harvest..... and after all that time and effort all i found out is that i had a perfectly pretty plant that i was about to kill...... i dont think it affected yield either way.

Thanx bubblegrower, I'll take your advice. Would it be beneficial to mist foilage w/ DI water?

I need to know if you mean RO water or actual DI water...

DI water is NOT good for plants... Unless it has been sitting for some time..

DI water has an ion stripped from it, making it "sticky". It actually pulls ions from it's surroundings to equalize it's ionic charge..

This is why it is used in industry often for critical cleaning (spent many of year in cleanrooms)

DI water is NOT good for plants or to drink because of this.. it will strip ions from what it comes in contact with..

DI water has an ion stripped from it, making it "sticky". It actually pulls ions from it's surroundings to equalize it's ionic charge..

This is why it is used in industry often for critical cleaning (spent many of year in cleanrooms)

DI water is NOT good for plants or to drink because of this.. it will strip ions from what it comes in contact with..

absolutley correct. i have heard of folks misting with actual distilled water though. i'm not a scientist, but it has something to do with pest prevention and pore clogging.... either way.... it's one of those things where people take it too far.... if you are misting, water is water... just do it properly and make sure its chlorine free. now to use for actual feeding at the roots??? thats a different story. reverse osmosis water is the best IMO for EVERYTHING. safe, secure, dependable.

very correct sublime, and thanks for pointing that out before we create confusion. ;)

Yes, I do use actual DI water. I have it in a bucket bubblin' for 48 hrs b4 use. Could this be harming the plants?

Yes, I do use actual DI water. I have it in a bucket bubblin' for 48 hrs b4 use. Could this be harming the plants?

there are some trace elements that are found in water that are necessary for plant growth and health that are not in the hydroponic nutes because they are already found in the water, so even though distilled is "pure" I don't think it is the best choice. that is totally 100% my opinion. for me distilled would be too unstable and the stability would depend on what/how much nutes you are adding. i have seen many commercial hydro ops growing fruits and vegetable using DI water but very few people using it to grow marijuana. i assume there is a reason for this :)

i have never used it, so i am not the best person to ask, but if i had my choice between DI and day old tap water, i would go with the tap........... just because i have used it before and i know how to adjust things.

sorry i couldnt be of more help on this one, hopefully others will chime in with their DI water experiences.

the price of good r.o. systems that fit right under your sink have come WAY down over the past couple years. i have seen decent 5 stage systems for around $200. also, you can rent the systems from culligan too. if $200 off the rip is too much, culligan will come and install it for you and you rent their system for i believe $10-15/month.

there are some trace elements that are found in water that are necessary for plant growth and health that are not in the hydroponic nutes because they are already found in the water, so even though distilled is "pure" I don't think it is the best choice. that is totally 100% my opinion. for me distilled would be too unstable and the stability would depend on what/how much nutes you are adding. i have seen many commercial hydro ops growing fruits and vegetable using DI water but very few people using it to grow marijuana. i assume there is a reason for this :)

i have never used it, so i am not the best person to ask, but if i had my choice between DI and day old tap water, i would go with the tap........... just because i have used it before and i know how to adjust things.

sorry i couldnt be of more help on this one, hopefully others will chime in with their DI water experiences.

the price of good r.o. systems that fit right under your sink have come WAY down over the past couple years. i have seen decent 5 stage systems for around $200. also, you can rent the systems from culligan too. if $200 off the rip is too much, culligan will come and install it for you and you rent their system for i believe $10-15/month.

Thanx again Bubblegrower. I'm kinda stuck w/this for now. I've added more humidity and flushed out system. NO new damaged leaves and rate of growth has increased B)

Hey bubble if it keeps raining can I move my plants to your new room? wink.gif

dude, this stuff needs to stop for real. i may go house-boat shopping tomorrow :)

we drove over near chicago last night to pick up some gear and had to stop on the highway twice because the rain was so hard.

remember the song "it never rains in southern california"? ............................ its true :D

Hello all, just another question about growing, soil. Awhile back I posted some pics of my plant I had to tie down. It looks to be doing fine and it's budding out all down the branches that I bent and tied over. What I am wondering, is if I should trim off, or prune off the little buds that are on the down side of the tied over branches, or if I should let them go. I would love to see some big kola's on the top, at the bend when it comes time to harvest and I just don't want the plant putting energy into buds that are not going to get very big anyway, as they aren't getting as much light. It's sitting under a 400watt HPS Sunsystems rig. And the strain is a mystery, although I see more stavia traits in this plant then the others that I have grown out from the same batch of seeds. Thin leaves, 9 leaves on some, and man are they beautiful. It also seems to be a bit behind on the bud development as compared to others from the same seed, which have very broad leaves, nearly strawberry plant fat leaves. I suppose it's not a surprise being the seed is unknown, lot's of variety as they are not from a known stable breed. And, this one grew very tall compared to the others as well, which is why I had to tie her down. Thanks very much!

----Nemo

Hello all, just another question about growing, soil. Awhile back I posted some pics of my plant I had to tie down. It looks to be doing fine and it's budding out all down the branches that I bent and tied over. What I am wondering, is if I should trim off, or prune off the little buds that are on the down side of the tied over branches, or if I should let them go. I would love to see some big kola's on the top, at the bend when it comes time to harvest and I just don't want the plant putting energy into buds that are not going to get very big anyway, as they aren't getting as much light. It's sitting under a 400watt HPS Sunsystems rig. And the strain is a mystery, although I see more stavia traits in this plant then the others that I have grown out from the same batch of seeds. Thin leaves, 9 leaves on some, and man are they beautiful. It also seems to be a bit behind on the bud development as compared to others from the same seed, which have very broad leaves, nearly strawberry plant fat leaves. I suppose it's not a surprise being the seed is unknown, lot's of variety as they are not from a known stable breed. And, this one grew very tall compared to the others as well, which is why I had to tie her down. Thanks very much!

----Nemo

hi nemo!!

glad to hear things are still growing well for ya :)

at this point, it's up to you really. i mean, its a mystery strain, so nobody knows what it will/won't like. or what it takes to get the biggest buds (if thats what you are looking for) i am personally not a huge fan of doing too much to them except the basic tying. i will top once if necessary, but thats about it..... i grow a lot of sativas and it is very common for them to get outta control. especially when you are trying to get them under a light with a bunch of shorter plants. i like to just let them go as much as possible and just tie a branch down or anchor it to the wall, or whatever needs to be done, after it has become unruly :) i just bend it over until it is about the same height as the rest of the canopy and tie it down. normally by harvest time, my room is a maze of string tied everywhere. my daddy taught me long ago not to p*ss off a lady......... so if they wanna grow 6 foot tall, so be it :)

hope this helps a little.... as far as the little buds on the side go, you will have to post another pic so i can see exactly which ones you mean.

grow on bro!! and as always, best of luck.

Do you have to add anything (cal/mag) back to your RO water?

I too have heard that DI water is lacking & trust my filtered, from a well, tap water........

Do you have to add anything (cal/mag) back to your RO water?

I too have heard that DI water is lacking & trust my filtered, from a well, tap water........

it depends on which nutes i am using. if i am using the lucas formula, no i do not add anything else. if i am using the organic hydro nutes then yes, i add cal/mag.

actually, if i am using the organic nutes, i follow this schedule fairly closely:

med_gallery_13801_60_5403.jpg

p2190.jpg

Hey bubble, brother I am soooo not in pain right now! lmao My meds tonight were of the same seed batch, I have a clone of her too going now, and the quality is just what the body needs. Man, I didn't even recognize my own dog tonight!! And, my back spasms and pain level is totally under control. Thank God, whatever this may be, it's working, and that's all I ever wanted! :) Thanks for the response. I think I'll let her go and do like your dad told you. :) I'll get another pic up tomorrow when I can actually peak at her again. lol

----Nemo

You are very good at growing

wow. thanks man. heck i will +rep that :lol:

with the amount of time and effort i have put into this over the last 15 years of my life....... ANYONE would be a good grower... trust me :)

i'm just trying to keep folks from making the same mistakes i did....... and if i can save someone 30 minutes of searching to find an answer, thats 30 minutes faster a sick plant gets healed :)

I have just started this new grow room into the production process for the first time. http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/index.php?/gallery/album/10851/100-grow-room/

I have a small 4" fan running in the cabinet pictured here. http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/index.php?/gallery/album/10851/100-grow-room/

Ive been trring to regulate the temp between 70 and 75 by leaving the door cracked open.

I've been watering everyday a little. The humidity is staying around 30%. (not sure how accurate my sensor is) Today, the leaves of my less than 2 week old babies, are slightly wavyup the length of the edges on the first sel of leaves. I don't want to drown them, :o but they seem to dry out quickly with the air from the fan circulating. They seemed rather unstable :unsure: before I started running the fan 3-4 days after they popped through the dirt. (Foxfarms Ocean Forrest is tough :angry: to get saturated. Should have made sure before I planted them somehow :blink: ) :huh: I check the moisture of them with a soil moisture meter and they seem to be in the middle of the gauge. Dryer, obviously, before watering near too dry. Flouroescent 2" grow bulbs are suspended 1/2" above leaves. What would make their leaves curl slightly, or wavy along the edges? Any ideas for curing this problem would be appreciated. What is the length of time I should leave them under the flouros before I put them under the 600w MH. :blink: I'm also confused on how long they should veg before changing bulb to HPS and lighting timer to 12/12??? :blink: Any clarification on this will certaianly help me feel better and make a plan! :D

I check the moisture of them with a soil moisture meter and they seem to be in the middle of the gauge. Dryer, obviously, before watering near too dry. Flouroescent 2" grow bulbs are suspended 1/2" above leaves. What would make their leaves curl slightly, or wavy along the edges? Any ideas for curing this problem would be appreciated. What is the length of time I should leave them under the flouros before I put them under the 600w MH. :blink: I'm also confused on how long they should veg before changing bulb to HPS and lighting timer to 12/12??? :blink: Any clarification on this will certaianly help me feel better and make a plan! :D

9 times out of 10 if the leaves are twisting, it is a form of nutrient burn. without pics its a lil tough though. you want your humidity higher for sure. above 60% is closer to optimal. as far as soil moisture..... its really better IMO to water them good, and then wait until they are almost fully dry before watering again..... a little everyday may be drowning them. but once again, i have no idea what they look like and i cant touch your soil so i cant be sure........

when do you take them from the cfl's and put them under the MH?? your call :) it's a judgment thing. when they are study and looking good :( keep the pics coming, and we will get you under the MH right on time.

how long should they veg?? your call again :) :) how tall do you want them to be at finish?? what kind of yield you looking for?? MOST people veg until they are 18 inches or taller before switching to the HPS bulb. some people veg for 30 days no matter what, and some people put them in flower at 4ft tall. B)

haha, i am being tons of help here huh?? sorry man. its your call though.......... it all depends on what you want in the end.