Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

DETERMINING PLANT SEX

if you are growing from "regular seed" then you may have either a male or a female plant. we force the plant into revealing its sex when we change the light cycle to 12/12. most strains will show within just a few days, but others may take a week or so. the males usually will show first, but they are often the more difficult to identify. a male pollen sac will resemble a small grape. a female will grow white "hairs" or pistils.

med_gallery_13801_60_23327.jpg

Just an update, she's looking fine! You can see the old pic by looking back through this thread or just go see my gallery. She's almost five weeks in, almost. Not sure how long she'll take, the other pheno's from this batch finished early in 7weeks but they all had fat stout leaves, even on the flowers. This baby has fine leaves on the budding ends, pics in gallery.

med_gallery_13362_124_67691.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped me out! Seems I might just be able to do this afterall! :)

all these pics are from the old breeding room, so a lot of those lower branches were cut off to make clones. obviously with a brand new strain i never knew what i REALLY had until they were done. by then it's too late to clone......... so i always took a few just in case she ended up being REAL SPECIAL ;)

and as far as the other lower branches that arent cut for clones, yeah, after a couple weeks, they yellow and die, (lack of light) leaving me with a twisted brown twig, so i chop that off.

lmao @ growing too fast to make lower branches :) hahaha

Anyone's thoughts on using pond water? What kind of things should I be evaluating before proceeding?

well, only a TDS meter will tell you for certain, but 99 times out of 100 pond water is cleaner than city tap water. depending on your filter system, you may wanna still let it set overnight for chlorine evaporation.

this is assuming you mean your homes water source is a pond, and you plan to get your water from the faucet.

now just walking out to the pond and getting a bucket of water??? way different story.

WHOA, hold on... I knew this rumor would pop up again sooner or later. I had made a LONG post about Ocean Forest on the old forum.

This is a completely untrue rumor about the Fox Farms Ocean Forest! HUGE placebo affect on this one, for sure. It's mostly because most people are unaware that Fox Farms Ocean Forest is a special organic mix that requires special pH and special treatment. A lot of people experience major pH issues and major nutrient lock ups because they don't use the soil properly.

I use straight FFOF from seed to bud AND for my clones! Yes, I clone straight into soil. Always have! Spectacular results. Nice and simple.

The Ocean Forest is perfectly safe for small plants and clones.

Great information. I wasn't quite satisfied with my recent first attampt at cloning. I used cloning tray/dome with rapid root plugs. Don't get me wrong for my first attempt, I had 60 -70% success. I use FFOF and will use your technique next time. By the way, I've had excellent results with FFOF (and FF nutrients) and don't expect to change in the future - aside from small experimentation attempts which I think everybody should try. I'm going to look for a PH metering device/system for sure! Thanks.

i am currently starting a second grow im using a tent for the veg i used the tent in my first grow for the whole thing and i am using the same light and everything for this grow but im only going to use it for veg and i have a room now built for bloom but the problem im having is that now i cant seem to keep the temp down never had a problem before but now i just cant seem to get it under control can any one help thanx

i am currently starting a second grow im using a tent for the veg i used the tent in my first grow for the whole thing and i am using the same light and everything for this grow but im only going to use it for veg and i have a room now built for bloom but the problem im having is that now i cant seem to keep the temp down never had a problem before but now i just cant seem to get it under control can any one help thanx

add a A/C that will help

well, what are you doing different than last time?? any changes to the room? or is it just that your last grow was during winter when it was cooler, and now its obviously much warmer out??

it is a tent so i dont think i can add and ac unit to a tent i out a cool mist vap in there and it is keeping the temps down to about 81 or so i think i have it under control now i will be have the lights off from noon to 6pm so i will miss the hotest part of the day and i hope that will work out thanx for the help

it is a tent so i don't think i can add and ac unit to a tent i out a cool mist vap in there and it is keeping the temps down to about 81 or so i think i have it under control now i will be have the lights off from noon to 6pm so i will miss the hottest part of the day and i hope that will work out thanks for the help

i think they have A/C portables thats what i use because it will soon be July, August

and it will be even hotter

ok I am a noob to all this... can I go out tomarrow and buy4 clones with a weeks roots in dirt bring them home wash the roots off and put them straight into bubble buckets with 5 gal buckets w/ a lrg basket and round german clay marbles (no rockwool)...

i have been spending 3 weeks trying to get cuttings to root and im depressed but this seems in vain so I am keen to get something finally growing in my basement

will this work? how far do i fill up the buckets?

BG I can't find the post about distilled water, you know what page its on or want to recap why its bad to use?

good morning bro. i think we were in that back on page 12-13. i found this:

there are some trace elements that are found in water that are necessary for plant growth and health that are not in the hydroponic nutes because they are already found in the water, so even though distilled is "pure" I don't think it is the best choice. that is totally 100% my opinion. for me distilled would be too unstable and the stability would depend on what/how much nutes you are adding. i have seen many commercial hydro ops growing fruits and vegetable using DI water but very few people using it to grow marijuana. i assume there is a reason for this :)

i have never used it, so i am not the best person to ask, but if i had my choice between DI and day old tap water, i would go with the tap........... just because i have used it before and i know how to adjust things.

sorry i couldnt be of more help on this one, hopefully others will chime in with their DI water experiences.

the price of good r.o. systems that fit right under your sink have come WAY down over the past couple years. i have seen decent 5 stage systems for around $200. also, you can rent the systems from culligan too. if $200 off the rip is too much, culligan will come and install it for you and you rent their system for i believe $10-15/month.

it is a tent so i dont think i can add and ac unit to a tent i out a cool mist vap in there and it is keeping the temps down to about 81 or so i think i have it under control now i will be have the lights off from noon to 6pm so i will miss the hotest part of the day and i hope that will work out thanx for the help

sounds like you are back on track. yeah, we all know and feel the difference between summer/winter but you REALLY REALLY see the differences when growing indoors :)

ok I am a noob to all this... can I go out tomarrow and buy4 clones with a weeks roots in dirt bring them home wash the roots off and put them straight into bubble buckets with 5 gal buckets w/ a lrg basket and round german clay marbles (no rockwool)...

i have been spending 3 weeks trying to get cuttings to root and im depressed but this seems in vain so I am keen to get something finally growing in my basement

will this work? how far do i fill up the buckets?

the long and short of it is yes, you can transplant. this is a very delicate process, and when i do it, i joke with the wife that i am about to go into surgery. everything must be clean. you must be gentle.

this is my method. let the clone soil dry out fairly well. this will make separating the dirt from the roots easier. gently get the clones out of the party cups and break away as much soil as possible. then i kind of bob the roots up and down in a bowl of water. this helps to get off most of everything else. then plant in the net pots as normal. water level should be 1/4 to 1/8" below the net pot. just the bubbles bursting and getting the bottom of the pot wet for now is all you want. if all went well, withing 2-3 days the roots will grow through the net pot and down into the water. best of luck, and all i can say is take your time, and be very very clean and gentle. when i grow from seed i start them in dirt and do this same thing. i prefer soil for seeds instead of rockwool.

BE SURE TO DO A COMPLETE SYSTEM FLUSH 5-7 DAYS AFTER TRANSPLANTING FROM SOIL TO BUBBLEBUCKETS.this will give any excess dirt from your roots time to settle on the bottom of the bucket. this dirt WILL become dangerous to your plants if you do not clean it out.