Need Your Grow Questions Answered? Come On In!

Grow Thread

Hi, just a quick question on rez change. I have the CAP ebb and grow system. All of the 2 gal modules are connected through tubing to the controler module and rez. During a rez change, the old solution will remain in the lines and the bottom 1 inch or so of all the individual buckets. Going through and dumping the residual solution in the lines and the buckets seems like it would be a huge and messy job. If I dump the entire rez would the small amount of old solution left behind be a problem? Thanks

Good Day All :D

When reading a feeding schedule that uses EC for nutrient strength, how would one convert the EC number to PPM?

Kinda remember there is two different conversion factors, Hanna and some other one.

Which conversion is the one used most often?

DECRYPTING EC/TDS METERS

there are 4 different types of meters that measure nutrient concentration, two are EC meters and two are TDS meters

of the 2 types of EC meters, (electrical conductivity), one displays with decimal places, the other without

for example

EC 2.0 and EC 2000 are the same

TDS meters come in 2 types, .5 and .7 conversion.

You seem to have a .5 conversion TDS meter

TDS meters take the electrical conductivity value that is measured internally by the meter (EC), but then multiplies the EC by a factor, either .5 or .7

so for example,

2000EC * .7= 1400ppm but also

2000EC * .5= 1000ppm

TDS is a strange beast and does not react logically, as you have found

for example 0-8-16 should read 1000ppm on .5 conversion meter, in RO water, but strangely, if you start with 250ppm water, and add the nutes, it wont necessarily come out to 1250, as you have noticed.

the reason I think this happens is that some of the TDS in the water gets neutralized by the nutes.

for example, much of the TDS in water is calcium, which is of very high pH. When nutes, of low pH are mixed in, some of the low and high values cancel each other out... this is sometimes called nute lockout and is the cause of some of the sediment in a res.

as far as the term TDS (total dissolved solids), in contrast to the term PPM (parts per million), they are the same thing stated in different words

here is an example of how the terms interact

An EC of 2000 corresponds to a TDS reading of 1400 PPM on a .7 conversion meter.

imho, .7 conversion is the primary hydroponic conversion factor, but many people own meters with .5 conversion, therefore, you MUST know your conversion, to understand my TDS numbers, which are all .7 values unless stated otherwise

in practical terms though, what you are doing is correct, and works fine, as you know

the gardner should mix nutes at the known recipe rate, then take a meter reading. WHATEVER that number is, regardless if its 1000, 1400, or any other number, THAT is the TDS of YOUR nutes in Your water, on Your meter.

As long as you dont change water or meters, keep using the baseline number you get as the target to go back to with nute additions

Im loving these questions! this is turning into a very complete archive of my beliefs

none of these ideas are original, Ive just spent a lot of time reading and learning from others

Dam dood, if I had 1/10 your knowledge..

And AFA the "up-roar" sorry bout that.. I just can't stand when people are TRYING to help others and get BERATED for it..

We all know this help is OPINION and can be taken or left.. at least I do and don't take ANYBODIES word as gospel.. If a group of people agree on an issue, then it's golden..

I'm the noobish guy here, so I know I should stir the pot, but dam.. the HOURS and HOURS of time spent in this thread by BG, has GOT to account for something..

I for one thank you BG, even if you aren't 110% ALL the time..!!!

this should help man :)

if it doesnt, p.m. me and i am driving to your house!!! hahahaha

ok I think I understand now... yes i would have been burning them adding the full nuts the second week..

but I would love the company so I will act dumb and pretend I didnt finally understand

hehe if you ever visit the Flint club let me know!

this help is OPINION and can be taken or left.. at least I do and don't take ANYBODIES word as gospel.. If a group of people agree on an issue, then it's golden..

ain't that the truth!! +rep for the kind words and for hopping in earlier and lending a hand while i was busy.

i update the table of contents on page one of this thread a couple times a week. it's gotten to the point to where i look at it and smile knowing there's a TON of info in here.

yeah, i have put some hours into it for sure, but the basics are finally all here and i can just take the easy route and link to stuff on occasion. thats nice........... but whatever it takes ya' know?

thanks to you all!!

ok I think I understand now... yes i would have been burning them adding the full nuts the second week..

but I would love the company so I will act dumb and pretend I didnt finally understand

hehe if you ever visit the Flint club let me know!

I AM SO RELIEVED THAT YOU GOT IT!!

hahahah.... seriously, i been waiting for you to log back in :)

whew......... i feel better now. hahaah.....

p.s.

i see Taj has a post all the way back on page one. thats senority dude. way to hang!! i can only imagine how much you have learned from following this thread in "real-time" from day #1.

Hey!! I like this thread :))

Thanks for being here.

it's been a lotta' fun so far.

and if there WAS a benefit, i cannot tell you how many private messages i have gotten saying something like "dude, i owe you one. if we ever meet, PLEASE introduce yourself and i swear we'll smoke some of the finest i got"

nice to know if i am ever down and out, i could probably drive around and medicate in every county in the state :sword:

Yikes!

That looks like a pretty heavy phosphorus deficiency coupled with pH imbalance causing nutrient lock-up if you were to ask me. Appears to be in the early stages of the deficiency however, believe it or not. It will only get worse... :(

Sorry to see the bad luck brotha. I hope everything works out! Best of luck to you.

This site may be of use to you - http://www.ganjaguer...a.net/index.htm