Driving While Medicated

I am not talking about MJ, I'm referring to the cars with the handicap license plate. The ones that are usually meandering and inattentive to traffic but never get the attention of LEO's unless they are really doing poorly behind the wheel. They are always given slack even by other motorist. I am not out to persecute these drivers I just believe there is a different standard of scrutiny applied by LEO.

My dad always quips about poor drivers with handicap plates saying they must be handing out handicap plates for mental handicaps. It never really occurred to me that the reason so many people with handicap plates appear to be poor drivers is due to being under the influence of medication.

This is a very interesting topic.

A lot of disabled people are on some kind of medicine, and don't forget older people who get disabled who have to take medication. Many seniors shouldn't be driving either even if not on meds, because they can't react fast enough anymore, or are not steady enough anymore to steer straight, some don't know how to park properly; I knew a couple of seniors who parked improperly every time. Meds affect people differently, whatever it is. People think they can handle it though others see they can't. Even if I told someone , "I think that medicine is affecting your driving," they'd likely say, "Oh I can handle it," and there's nothing I can do, 'cept hope they don't get into an accident.

Can't someone report that if they can get the license plate number and see someone not driving properly? Disabled or not, I don't want them on the road if they can't handle their vehicle.

Silverblue

This is the reason I gave up driving personally 7 years ago. The risk I pose to others far out weighs any need. It is a hassle to have to rely on others to drive me around but it is a much safer option that I wish more people would chose. There are also people on the road who should not talk or text on their phone while driving the are just as hazardous as impaired drivers out there. We were sideswipe by a person who found it more important to text than it was to drive.

I get really nervous seeing people on the phone while driving. Didn't MI ban texting while driving? Many years ago I was almost run over by someone talking on their cell phone while driving, luckily a quick reaction saved me.

Silverblue

Archived