Government Meetings

HC

I would like to see a sticky up top for links to all meetings with our Government.

This Thursday will be a meeting with Rep George Cushingberry and the Appropriation committee meeting

http://www.house.mi.gov/publiccommitteeschedule/

Date: 5/20/2010 Time: 9:00 AM Meeting: Subcommittee Meeting

Appropriations: Subcommittee on Investigations, Intergovernmental Affairs and OversightChair: Representative George Cushingberry Jr.All bills referred to this committee Location: Room 352, House Appropriations, 3rd Floor, State Capitol Broadcast: Live broadcast - Watch or Listen using Windows Media Player

Agenda:

- Discussion of the State's Medical Marijuana laws

- Discussion of the Public Pension Systems - State and Local

- Discussion of Universal health care

Please make a thread or use this one to keep us up to date on all current upcoming government meeting about our favorite herb.

Ask and you shall receive.

HC,

I have a job for you now, when you see or hear of a government meeting post it here. If you find a post announcing a government meeting please contact a moderator and ask them to merge it here.

I just want to see more people at the meetings and it would be easier if they were put in one place for everyone to find and then maybe more people would show up.

After all, it is OUR government.

Date: 5/20/2010 - Canceled :angry:

Not all meetings are on house tv

Time: 9:00 AM

Meeting: Subcommittee Meeting

Appropriations: Subcommittee on Investigations, Intergovernmental Affairs and Oversight

Chair: Representative George Cushingberry Jr.All bills referred to this committee

Location: Room 352, House Appropriations, 3rd Floor, State Capitol

Broadcast: Live broadcast - Watch or Listen using Windows Media Player

Agenda: - Discussion of the State's Medical Marijuana laws

- Discussion of the Public Pension Systems - State and Local

- Discussion of Universal health care

It is so good to see Good News

Safermich friends, it is my great pleasure to report the Detroit City Clerk has officially certified the Coalition for Safer Detroit ballot initiative petitions we turned in two weeks ago.

This means the Coalition has secured enough signatures to qualify for ballot status, in addition to meeting all city and state legal requirements for the construction of the petition form itself (which means we will not have to litigate in order to get on the ballot)!

The Detroit City Council will meet on Wed May 26 at 10 am to decide whether to pass the measure into law as written, or send it to the voters in November. We do not expect the Council to pass this into law themselves. If our initiative is passed into law by the voters, it will no longer be a crime in Detroit to use or possess and ounce or less of mj on private property, by persons who have attained the age of 21 years.

In any event we are home free and gearing up for the campaign ahead. Many thanks to one and all for your encouragement and good energy!

Check out our website at www.saferdetroit.net

Thanks goes out to Tim Beck and Crew for putting this into action.

I just received this emai

Safermich friends, some of the principal leaders of "Cannabis Patients United"(CPU) who are funding the services of a Lansing lobbyist to protect the interests of patients, caregivers and "Compassion Clubs" (and are totally neutral on the issue of "dispensaries"), met with key Michigan State Police (MSP) legislative representatives in suburban Detroit yesterday.

The group met to discuss various issues regarding the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. One of the MSP representatives is an attorney.

During the course of the meeting, the issue of "dispensaries" and "patient to patient transfer" came up. In no uncertain terms one of these MSP executives (the attorney) said in her interpretation of the law, both dispensaries and patient to patient transfer are illegal and in so many words, the only legitimate distribution system in Michigan is the "caregiver" system. She went on to say that the MSP and other police organizations are now actively investigating various dispensaries and it is highly likely these entities will be busted at some point down the road.

Anyway, I am just passing this information on from CPU, for you all to use as you see fit.

CPU does not represent me or my family. Why am I not notified of these meeting?

I never voted for CPU to talk to anyone about my rights. I have a vote and a voice. Private meeting about my rights is very wrong. I would like to see the minutes of the meeting to see what they are discussing on OUR behalf.

I am part of the 63% that voted this law in and I dont 'think that less then 1% should hold meetings without the public being told about them.

I have met Mary and I for one do not like her and she better not ever touch me again trying to make me be quiet while speaking to Ms Brim.

She and CPU are trying to get the State to send letters out when the funds for that could be put into getting the new printers up and running in the same time frame that they would take to just write the letter to everyones agreement.

So I have to pay to go to these meeting now? Dealing with public affairs should be public since I am part of the public that these meeting will effect.

Guest hayduke

Actually HC, CPU has every right to form a group and meet with government officials, just like any citizens of our state may do. MMMA has their lobbyist's as well. Greg Stark and Julie Schneider (who is from California) are the MMMA lobbyists, they announced it publically in Lansing this week themselves. There are often many lobbyists on both sides of an issue. There is no popular vote needed to hire a lobbyist by anyone.

As far as letters being sent from the MDCH to patients and caregivers. Your understanding does not appear to be complete. We feel this in fact is a very good thing that all patients and caregivers have been asking for: a way to confirm with law enforcement that they are legal, despite the fact they are waiting for long periods of time for their cards.

The MSP has requested the MDCH issue a letter to each applicant to the program who is approved, but will not get there card for some time to come. The letter would contain a pin number that would allow law enforcement to confirm the approval is real. CPU was directly involved in this discussion, and we are convinced this is a step in the right direction towards solving some pretty big problems with patient arrests over not having a card with a confirmable registry number.

As far as the printers go: The MDCH has been approved to obtain the two new high speed printers. They now must go through the state required bidding process before the purchase can be made. The MDCH feels that will happen in June, about the time the have cleared the physical space to house their two new employees (who have already been hired). The MDCH has advised the MSP that the two new high speed printers will allow them to get current on card issuance and renewal.

From where I am sitting, CPU is getting things done. Clarifications and getting MSP to accept the 21 day rule are only good things.

I am sure people are upset about not being notified but ... when you aren't involved ... you aren't involved.

That being said I am sure Cannabis Patients United would accept donations to continue their work.

The MSP has requested the MDCH issue a letter to each applicant to the program who is approved, but will not get there card for some time to come. The letter would contain a pin number that would allow law enforcement to confirm the approval is real. CPU was directly involved in this discussion, and we are convinced this is a step in the right direction towards solving some pretty big problems with patient arrests over not having a card with a confirmable registry number.

"CPU was directly involved in this discussion"

They sure were .. they tried to stop me from asking for these letters to be sent out at the hearings.

Guest Wayne

"She went on to say that the MSP and other police organizations are now actively investigating various dispensaries and it is highly likely these entities will be busted at some point down the road."

Mike Cox(sucker) attorney general and candidate for governor of michigan would never take political advantage by exploiting medical marijuana patients , caregivers, or this community by timing raids on medical marijuana dispensaries just before this Novembers elections. Am I right, or am I right?

Hearings? You mean the January hearings before initiation?

Obviously, MDCH wasn't ready or wanted people to follow procedure and bureaucracy.

Also I really don't see how making a comment like this is productive for anyone.

You should be glad that it is in their language, not butthurt because you tried to do it as well and weren't able for whatever reason.

I guess you had to be there.

Hearings? You mean the January hearings before initiation?

Obviously, MDCH wasn't ready or wanted people to follow procedure and bureaucracy.

Also I really don't see how making a comment like this is productive for anyone.

You should be glad that it is in their language, not butthurt because you tried to do it as well and weren't able for whatever reason.

Guest hayduke

PB I do not know what you are talking about. I have attended all CPU meetings or been given a written report. There is no effort to stop your work in way shape or form. We are just doing our work quietly and without drama. If you have information that would prove otherwise, please bring it forward.

What date are you referring to? What proof do you have?

Cannabis Patients United is a wonderful group. It was formed by members from the MMMA that were NOT happy with the direction the MMMA appeared to be going. Just as no one voted for the MMMA to become an entity, no one voted for CPU. No one HAD to.

The sky ISN'T falling. CPU is NOT trying to change ANYTHING. ONLY trying to get some answers. Answers we ALL desperately need.

Why the hurt feelings and toes feeling stepped on? A group has formed that made a decision and moved on it. ANYONE is welcome to join! Just as ANYONE is welcome to join the MMMA. (I'm still a paid member here until August)

What is the big deal? Unless, it's just ego's being crushed. If that's the case, we need to get OVER it! Did you HEAR the name? Cannabis Patients United! We shouldn't care WHO get it done.............as long as it GETS done!

I am sure people are upset about not being notified but ... when you aren't involved ... you aren't involved.

That being said I am sure Cannabis Patients United would accept donations to continue their work.

So if I pay for a vote with CPU, I can get info on what? I have to say that I make all meeting that I am informed of. This CPU is a force that is not working with us at all. I will be at the next government meeting and hope to see more then just the few that do show up.

8hrs, Todd, more excuses to not show up. I read more people say its 2hrs, 4hrs and more. I will and do make the meetings you don't. I myself was being talked down to and Mary physically put her hands on me and said to shut p when we at the last Appropriation meeting. I will not tolerate that again.

On the printers. I spoke with Ms. Brim after the meeting about them and have my info first hand and not from what others want to tell me. The vendor for the printers are not on the list of approved vendors so it has to go out for bid. They have 45 days to have this done and in Rep Cushingberrys hands. Ms. Brim's boss said he could have it with in 30 days. They could do upto 320 cards an hour. 2 machines will do 640 an hour but the staff can't fill envelopes that quickly.

The 2 hired was told to me to be 5 and not 2. The people in the space the MDCH needs will be moved by June 15th.

The cost and time for these letters to be done will take away from the production of the cards and the cards are what we need in hand in 21 days, PERIOD . Screw the letter and put the time and money into getting the cards out.

CPU does not represent me or my family. Nor do they represent my views. To my knowledge, Mary is niether Patient of Caregiver and for that reason alone, she has no clue what I feel.

If someone tells me of upcoming meeting, I'll be there.

Guest hayduke

Your info from Ms Brim is exactly the info I just stated HC. Identical.

The MDCH hired 2-1/2 full time people in March and I assumed you knew that, so it was old news. My reference was to the two additional staff you mentioned. My info was 100% correct. The reason they did not come on before June was two fold: 1.)they were still talking about privatizing the issuance of card until very very recently, and the MDCH did not wish to hire anyone new if the program was to be privatized; and 2.) they did not have open space in their office until mid June.

As for Mary, it seems you have a personal problem with her. It does not take a card holder to represent mmj folks, that is clear. We chose the person we felt would help our group continue to move the issues forward.

As for you lobbyist, Julie S., what is her agenda? Why was it MMMA felt the need to hire a lobbyist from California? Is there not a Michigan person who could step into that role? Does Julie S. also represent California interest who would like to do business in Michigan? Has it even been posted here that she is one of the lobbyists for the MMMA? Because that was clearly announced at the Lansing City hearing on dispensaries yesterday, so I assumed you were aware of that fact.

Maybe you need to spend less time running down our CPU group, and more time working for the cause we all believe strongly in. There are no monopolies on this issue. All positive results should be saluted by everyone. When we receive a stark warning as we did from the MSP, we try to get that word out immediately.

I am happy you respect the work of Tim Beck. Oh by the way, he is our President of CPU.

Peace.... isn't that what Joe Cain and John Wells said a week or so ago? Aren't we supposed to be cordial, didn't they ask we all join together? Oh I guess cordiality only goes one way: If we work under the auspices of the MMMA. That is just not realistic, my friend. I thought since Joe publically apologized to Mary for his harsh comments, the stridency and personal attacks were going to go away. I am sorry it appears that is not the case.

I posted here in good faith. I am not attacking anyone. I am not threatening a lady with what I will do if she touches me. Maybe you need to take a deep breath...

On the printers. I spoke with Ms. Brim after the meeting about them and have my info first hand and not from what others want to tell me. The vendor for the printers are not on the list of approved vendors so it has to go out for bid. They have 45 days to have this done and in Rep Cushingberrys hands. Ms. Brim's boss said he could have it with in 30 days. They could do upto 320 cards an hour. 2 machines will do 640 an hour but the staff can't fill envelopes that quickly.

Well .. That volume might do the trick.

Based on what has taken place in Colorado, the MDCH should expect to see volumes of about 3000 apps per day.

So if those printers are running full time and never break down, the printing should be good .. for a while.

Sorry that I suggested the letter thing. I figured that a letter like that would take next to nothing to issue and go a long way toward protecting innocent people.

I made the suggestion based on my belief that:

1. They will cash any check they get.

2. They will screw up the card printing process for as long as the can.

When they cash the check, they already have a entry for that person in their database. They have to record the fact that the patient in question paid and how much that patient paid.

It is a very very small thing to cause that data entry to cause a letter to be issued.

HC... actually I just mentioned donating as a way to help out CPU, not get a vote in return. Although, I am sure you could take this matter up with CPU directly.

I guess regardless of how you feel, others came together with a political group mission that wasn't realized here in Michigan. They clearly represent and have work to show for it. Can any one other group say the same thing?

And to the 8 hours,

I will and do make the meetings you don't. I myself was being talked down to and Mary physically put her hands on me and said to shut p when we at the last Appropriation meeting. I will not tolerate that again.

Great! More power to you. Family comes first for me.

I would think there was also a bigger reason why Mary would feel the need to do what you allege.

Sorry Hayduke for not doing what I am accused of. I think saying I will not tolerate her touching me as a threat but it was not.

I am not here representing anyone but me. Not Joe, Not the MMMA or even Jackson county. I am here posting about me and my problems and thats it. I, me, I myself think these meeting should be open to the public if it is going to invovle the public. Meeting behind closed doors and not informing people that are interested is not doing so on the behalf of anyone but the CPU. Out of the 25K apps are member of this CPU?

I make court cases when possible. I make the Capital meeting when possible and as I am seeing this unfold, if I don't pay someone, I get left behind. MONEY MONEY MONEY. I pay, I pay for gas, insurance and taxes. Those are the same thing everyone should be paying. I would rather go to the meeting then have someone represent me.

CPU is representing itself as my/our representitive and that is not true. I represent myself. I have a vote and my own thoughts. Are these meeting being set up by CPU open to the public? Or is someone out there telling the MSP or any other agency that they represent the MMJ community, which I am part of?

Sorry Hayduke for not doing what I am accused of. I think saying I will not tolerate her touching me as a threat but it was not.

I am not here representing anyone but me. Not Joe, Not the MMMA or even Jackson county. I am here posting about me and my problems and thats it. I, me, I myself think these meeting should be open to the public if it is going to invovle the public. Meeting behind closed doors and not informing people that are interested is not doing so on the behalf of anyone but the CPU. Out of the 25K apps are member of this CPU?

I make court cases when possible. I make the Capital meeting when possible and as I am seeing this unfold, if I don't pay someone, I get left behind. MONEY MONEY MONEY. I pay, I pay for gas, insurance and taxes. Those are the same thing everyone should be paying. I would rather go to the meeting then have someone represent me.

CPU is representing itself as my/our representitive and that is not true. I represent myself. I have a vote and my own thoughts. Are these meeting being set up by CPU open to the public? Or is someone out there telling the MSP or any other agency that they represent the MMJ community, which I am part of?

Well, I would say, and this is just me, that when you start your own Political action committee, secure funding, hire a person that keeps you in the know, and sets up meetings that deal with issues we all want to know, regardless of how YOU may feel your left out, I am really sure that calls for funding went around months ago, so to claim your not being represented when you had fair chance to have just that is ... well childish.

No one wants or really can change the law without some major uphill movement so the next best thing is to get everyone on the same page, ie 21 day rule, clarification on patient to patient, dispensaries, etc.

I only see this as a good thing. Problem is in our society everything is based on 'little green pieces of paper' and obviously you or anyone else isn't left behind either since you know as much as I do, and I see no reason to think differently on the big issues like transfers and dispensaries. They aren't in the law and your upset? Seems simple to me. Now if we wanted to be like Rhode Island and add the dispensary part like they did I am all for it but that 75% in house and senate is a big hill.

Mostly, I would say people who are upset about what was said regarding transfers and dispensaries are likely already involved or really want to be. Money, Money, Money.

Archived