Long Term Storeage?

Guest Medicinal Patient

Great question. I been thinking about this myself as of late. Glass jars I hear are the best but I too would like to know how long meds can stay fresh in these jars. When I get a crop in I plan on keeping the majority in 1 jar and another with like a quarter in it to dip into throughout the week so I don't constantly expose the bulk of the meds. I plan on my meds coming in bulk as a 3 month supply due to the distance between myself and a caregiver. If there is a better method out there to keeping a 3month supply fresh please pass it on to us! Thanks so much

well i've been giving this some thought and what i think i'm going to do is,,,,put the meds in a mason jar with out a lid,then vacuum pac..its the only way i can think to vacuum pack the meds,with out crushing the buds.they won't stack or sit very well but should store alright,,i've hear that freezing frees the triclones which isn't good...please tell me a better way if you know of one,,,thanks all ..zb

I would have to say that Jar thing beats the hell out of the Freezer Method. Experience has shown it will degrade over time in the freezer. But only if wrapped properly it will last a year or so.

The idea of wrapping the Mason Jars with the sealameal is interesting. I would leave the tops on the jars for shure. I usually do 2 layers of sealameal with double seals everywhere, then into a non-discript plastic container with snap seal, for the deep freeze. Oh and you dont have to freeze it really cold. I prefer just belo freezing 25 - 30 degrees max. No need to get any colder.

Guest Medicinal Patient

I would have to say that Jar thing beats the hell out of the Freezer Method. Experience has shown it will degrade over time in the freezer. But only if wrapped properly it will last a year or so.

The idea of wrapping the Mason Jars with the sealameal is interesting. I would leave the tops on the jars for shure. I usually do 2 layers of sealameal with double seals everywhere, then into a non-discript plastic container with snap seal, for the deep freeze. Oh and you dont have to freeze it really cold. I prefer just belo freezing 25 - 30 degrees max. No need to get any colder.

Wait, so is freezing a good idea or no? Anyone got a list of pros and cons? I am still learning alot myself about this medicine and want to get it right with minimal errors. I have had meds get mold when it wasn't properly stored before. Would the thaw dampen the meds like it does with freezer items after thaw? Thanks for the help!

I have heard tell that in the old days they would put the jars in a bucket lined with a bag. Put the bucket in another bag & bury it . Just remember to make sure it is completely cured............. & remember where you buried it.

I bet if I had a backhoe I could find those missing buckets....lol......................

Wait, so is freezing a good idea or no? Anyone got a list of pros and cons? I am still learning alot myself about this medicine and want to get it right with minimal errors. I have had meds get mold when it wasn't properly stored before. Would the thaw dampen the meds like it does with freezer items after thaw? Thanks for the help!

I saw on a commercial that when you thaw it it will be " better than fresh " :lol:

sorry: I have no scientific evidence that it is harmful, but I would not put vegetables in the freezer. It probably does not degrade the THC but I would worry about the effects on the other canibinoids & the Turpinoids ( hope I spelled that right, no spell-check for MMj related words...lol..) that contribute the taste.

I do put buds & trim in freezer before making hash which helps the tricrhomes break off. Not sure I'd want to put my smokeable medicine through that.

I am sure a lot store their meds in the freezer with no problems. Just not sure it is the best way.........

Some people who get really serious about long-term storage either vacuum or nitrogen charge the storage containers. That requires a bit of equipment and hassle. Recently, though, I read of 'oxygen absorbers' used in home canning of dry goods. It's a little packet like a silica gel packet, except this one will absorb almost all of the oxygen in the jar, leaving a nitrogen-rich storage environment where the medicine should degrade much more slowly.

I just looked it up, and it looks like these oxygen absorbers are pretty cheap, just a few cents each. Might make it worth a try, anyway:

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/oxygen_absorbers.htm

well i played around alittle last night and what i found is,,that if i took a mason jar with meds.in it,put a lid on it,and then just barely started the screw cap,and then put the jar into a vacuum bag and ran the vacuum,the jar would seal,,, stop the food saver before it seals the bag,and you can use that same bag over and over ,..when you go to open the jar you will hear the classic burp..lol..now your jars are vacuumed sealed so there is a less chance of mold,not crushed because they're in glass jars,and not frozen and dropping triclones..now if it keeps the vacuum it should be a great way to store meds...i'll let you know how it goes..peace all..zb ps i'm not sure how or why this works but it does..

Brown paper bag then jars. Works for us.

Brown bag the jars is the way. The jars work great, but the paper bag keeps light off of it. U.V. will degrade cured bud quickly. Never freeze it unless making bubble.

well i played around alittle last night and what i found is,,that if i took a mason jar with meds.in it,put a lid on it,and then just barely started the screw cap,and then put the jar into a vacuum bag and ran the vacuum,the jar would seal,,, stop the food saver before it seals the bag,and you can use that same bag over and over ,..when you go to open the jar you will hear the classic burp..lol..now your jars are vacuumed sealed so there is a less chance of mold,not crushed because they're in glass jars,and not frozen and dropping triclones..now if it keeps the vacuum it should be a great way to store meds...i'll let you know how it goes..peace all..zb ps i'm not sure how or why this works but it does..

update two of the six i sealed lost their vacuum,back to the drawing board,,lol,,zb

IMO one of the most important factors in long term storage is the moisture level of your meds. A mason jar works great for storage but you have to make sure the humidity is in the proper range. Buy a small (and cheap) humidity sensor that will fit inside your jar. These can be digital or analog. The best level for long term storage is between 55-60% and your meds can be stored in a dark, cool location (Vacuum sealed if possible) for a year or more without any noticeable loss of quality.

I read that years ago. At the time they also said that vacuum packing was a no no for the same reason.

Vacuum packing possibly because plastic is just as bad as freezing. The plastic acts like a magnet and pulls the tric heads off.

Although~~ the experiment Zipbanger was doing sealing the jars was interesting.

Glass is the safest for your beautiful buds!

update,,,well what i've done now is put a few holes in the lid and then vacuum bag them,,they don't stack well but the meds are all sealed...4 of the jars that are from the first experiment are still holding their vacuum..its an ungoing project,if i ever get it locked down i'll show how i did it..peace all..zb

IMO one of the most important factors in long term storage is the moisture level of your meds. A mason jar works great for storage but you have to make sure the humidity is in the proper range. Buy a small (and cheap) humidity sensor that will fit inside your jar. These can be digital or analog. The best level for long term storage is between 55-60% and your meds can be stored in a dark, cool location (Vacuum sealed if possible) for a year or more without any noticeable loss of quality.

Bingo! I found that I had a hard time estimating the proper moisture level for curing / storage. I recently bought a few digital hygrometers like the one in the link below, and now I'm much more confident that I'm curing at the appropriate moisture level:

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Humidor-CALIBER3-Thermometer-Hygrometer/dp/B0007W1EA6/

That sounds like a sales job, but I found that I was jarring my meds at around 40-50% humidity prior to using this device.

Archived