Removing Sun Leaves During Flower... Opinion?

vender

How big have you grown one? Ever taken one to the state fair? Got pictures?

The biggest one I grew was about 300lb, which is tiny compared to the big guys. No I just grow them for the porch. I do have pics of not last year (bad year) but 2008. It grew tall and never fattened up. I need to start using the gallery feature.

Can you post some pictures of your grow? with hugh colas?

I don't really grow huge colas. My plants don't even get 2' tall. Its about making more of the lower buds and getting them bigger than they normally would with a bunch of leaves blocking the light. I am looking to break 1 gram per watt this time around.

Is there any plant that is grown outside where they do this. I cant think of any. People don't pull your leaves if you're new. learn to grow first before trying all the other things you read. My past experienced is when I pulled the leaves off of two plants out of 10 they slowed in growth all over, height, width and Weight. people pull leaves inside because they don't have enough light to start with, so they try to fix this by pulling leaves. With enough light my bottom buds are as hard and potent as the nudges on top. And as far as all of you who do it, why don't you post pictures of your grow. Not just a little bud close up either, a nice picture of your entire grow.

thats right learn to grow first then when you get your Meds going good then you can pull all the leaves off that you want and you will at least have some Meds

it's OK to try different things we have to do things are own way some of the things i have done to plants you would not believe it

I don't really grow huge colas. My plants don't even get 2' tall. Its about making more of the lower buds and getting them bigger than they normally would with a bunch of leaves blocking the light. I am looking to break 1 gram per watt this time around.

This blue cheese I just trimmed. It had all of it leaves to the end. Nice buds on the bottom.

med_gallery_13354_213_385787.jpg

And this is one of the topsmed_gallery_13354_213_247479.jpg

The biggest one I grew was about 300lb, which is tiny compared to the big guys. No I just grow them for the porch. I do have pics of not last year (bad year) but 2008. It grew tall and never fattened up. I need to start using the gallery feature.

I see your from ferndale, the father inlaw lives in troy. you would of seen his handy work if you have ever been to the state fair. In the last 25 year except the last 3 ( he stopped going) he has always won for biggest tomatoe, Also has a box of first place for biggest everything else.Has had 4 full pages printed on him in the news, numerous radio talk shows, even up to Canada. I know he keeps his gourds covered to slow ripening. I have learned alot from this man, he is pushing 87 years now. And after you have a couple real nice grows under your belt you will see the healthier the plant the better the fruits. Take some pictures and show what happeneds, I'll be watching

Not trying to be a dick but your pictures might support why you should have taken some of those leaves off.

Your lower growth is light colored and not deep, and the buds don't look like they have very intense trichome production or dense growth and stacking of calyxes.

Try bending and training some of those branches out to increase the light exposure to the lower buds and you'll see an improvement in your buds.

I'm not saying that you produce crap, but it could be improved.

If you guy are thinking that nature is nothing short of perfect - I suppose you should quit growing indoors. Just throw some seeds in the woods and hope they grow, don't cull the males and don't fertilize or alter the soil. That'll be some good stuff!

I only trim off the lower small branches that will not get any light right as my plants start to flower. Other than that the plants need the larger fan leaves, if you have seen any pictures of my plants the fan leaves are lush and green up till the final flush thats when the larger fan leaves should start to degrade as the plant needs more nitrogen to finish flowering the leaves will slowly start to change color and finally go to yellow and die off. I remove those larger leaves only at this time when they are about 50% yellow.

If your larger fan leaves are dying off too soon you are more than likely locking out nutrients due to improper ph adjustment or the lack of nitrogen.

Not trying to be a dick but your pictures might support why you should have taken some of those leaves off.

Your lower growth is light colored and not deep, and the buds don't look like they have very intense trichome production or dense growth and stacking of calyxes.

Try bending and training some of those branches out to increase the light exposure to the lower buds and you'll see an improvement in your buds.

I'm not saying that you produce crap, but it could be improved.

If you guy are thinking that nature is nothing short of perfect - I suppose you should quit growing indoors. Just throw some seeds in the woods and hope they grow, don't cull the males and don't fertilize or alter the soil. That'll be some good stuff!

Show what you grow. This is my room that this came out of. Don't show one little bud, And this is only 1 light you are looking at, I have 3 more. I'm past bending and crap, I have 10 foot ceilings. I grow to make money now. As for the color, tell me my plants are not haappy. Hell you flush and dont give nitrogen they will be a little lite green. Try getting 4 to 5 oz per plant and you will stop pulling your leaves. This is off a plant that is only 14 inches tall starting to flower.

med_gallery_13354_189_406979.jpg

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

I only trim off the lower small branches that will not get any light right as my plants start to flower. Other than that the plants need the larger fan leaves, if you have seen any pictures of my plants the fan leaves are lush and green up till the final flush thats when the larger fan leaves should start to degrade as the plant needs more nitrogen to finish flowering the leaves will slowly start to change color and finally go to yellow and die off. I remove those larger leaves only at this time when they are about 50% yellow.

If your larger fan leaves are dying off too soon you are more than likely locking out nutrients due to improper ph adjustment or the lack of nitrogen.

Looks like possibly high humidity, and it could of went another wk or 2 maybe.

Heres my first grow ever of DP blueberry, I tore most the big leaves off, (admittedly not as much as I tear off now). I dont think I have a lower bud shot but it looks like this just smaller.

Where did you get high humidity? Your bud looks like it was locked out of something.As for the tri most are cloudy with 10 amber, it was my first harvest of this but its ready.

I'm just here to help, not trying to dog anyone or puff myself up.

Those other pics look nice. The first ones, not so much though. Not trying to hate, it just looked to me like that stuff isn't getting intense enough light and looks weak on the resin - I on the other hand tend to grow my stuff right into the lights to a fault, as you'll probably see in some of my pics. I try to give constructive criticism, I didn't come here to tinkle on rainbows. Looks like it does what you need it to though, so cheers. Hopefully you are helping people in need while you are making your money.

Your yields are good however, I've gotten considerably larger yields per plant but then again you could be growing shorties and I could be vegging mine for longer I don't know.

I've had continuous colas that have weighed over 3 oz alone indoors on basement grown plants (no 10 foot ceilings), so I do ok.

Go to our website, mimedijuana.com

There's some close ups, mostly older pictures.

My main points are this: that a grower should know their strains, not be afraid to provide guidance through pruning and trimming when necessary and aim to achieve balance. Some people have tight spaces where they need to do supercropping and tricky stuff to maximize yields. I've grown many strains over the years and they can be very very different. People tend to state their opinions as if these are completely black and white issues, which they aren't.

I don't trim all of my fan leaves by any means and thats not what I'm advocating. I'm disagreeing with those that say you shouldn't trim at all.

If the fan leaves are shading many bud tips I pull them, and if I need a plant to branch out more, sometimes pulling the fan leaves encourages lateral branching..

Look at it this way - fan leaves are like the big fat kid on the football team. Sometimes you need the big guys to hold it down, other times they might need to make way for the fast little guys to make moves. Sometimes removing a fan leaf exposes more leaf mass below to more light so the plant may become more efficient. If you can shift production closer to the point of consumption it would make the supply chain more efficient, yah?

Affordablemimeds, come on dude your first pic looks like bad buds that are pale in color from lack of light and leafy due to high humidity. That pic looked like a bad first grow, period.

Now your second pic isn't even in the same league. That looks like a good grow with no signs of any problems.

And who cares what you get off 1 plant? I got 8oz of 1 plant my very first grow! woo whoo. Guess what it yielded a crappy .35 grams per watt. I wanna hear grams per watt (GPW).

I don't think anyones saying pull leaves at 3 weeks. Atleast I'm not. But week 5,6,7 if you see a leaf blocking light to a bud, tuck it or pull it for sure.

Affordablemimeds, come on dude your first pic looks like bad buds that are pale in color from lack of light and leafy due to high humidity. That pic looked like a bad first grow, period.

Now your second pic isn't even in the same league. That looks like a good grow with no signs of any problems.

And who cares what you get off 1 plant? I got 8oz of 1 plant my very first grow! woo whoo. Guess what it yielded a crappy .35 grams per watt. I wanna hear grams per watt (GPW).

I don't think anyones saying pull leaves at 3 weeks. Atleast I'm not. But week 5,6,7 if you see a leaf blocking light to a bud, tuck it or pull it for sure.

That Blue Cheese is in the middle of the big picture. The first pictures just shows it will grow buds to the bottom. Anybody ready for a Throw Down. I am I'll bring 9 strains to the table. Winner takes all? Well lets do math than 16 plants at an low adverage of 3.5 oz per plant = 1568 grams under 1 1000 = 1.5 gpw is that right.

I'm sure my plants would have been fine without trimming any leaves, and that's usually how I've grown in the past. This crop, however, is much leafier than I've had in the past. There are many variables that might have led to the proliferation of leaves -- more light, different temperature and airflow, new grow space, different plants (these are from seed). Strain variation is probably the biggest factor in my case. I've moved toward some leafy indica strains at my patients' requests. As others have said, though, get to know your plants.

I've taken gallons of leaves off of this little 3 foot high lady. Most large fan leaves came off by about 3 weeks into flower, since they were shading many lower branches that had plenty of leaf coverage themselves. About 5 weeks into flower in this photo:

gallery_4966_86_105018.jpg

I think she's happy enough, and still has plenty of leaves.

My main points are this: that a grower should know their strains, not be afraid to provide guidance through pruning and trimming when necessary and aim to achieve balance. Some people have tight spaces where they need to do supercropping and tricky stuff to maximize yields. I've grown many strains over the years and they can be very very different. People tend to state their opinions as if these are completely black and white issues, which they aren't.

I don't trim all of my fan leaves by any means and thats not what I'm advocating. I'm disagreeing with those that say you shouldn't trim at all.

If the fan leaves are shading many bud tips I pull them, and if I need a plant to branch out more, sometimes pulling the fan leaves encourages lateral branching..

+1 rep for sure... That is exactly correct.. When it comes right down to it.. it's not about how much of the leaf structure is removed it is all about guidance for your plants... Some newbies read some posts and go and strip their plants clean... That's not what we are talking about... Marijuana as most plants do well with some guided pruning along it's entire growth cycle... Not just one night going and removing large quantity of leaves... You need to get to know what and were needs to be trimmed to help the plant achieve it's very best... Usually the last 4-6 weeks of a plant's life it will need the most attention.. For all the newb's out there.. take your time , Do some research on pruning... and remember every strain is different.. Your plant's will thank you for it with nice nugs..

Thanks bigERN -- I think that plant is a 'Big Green', a indica-sativa hybrid from NOSB. I wouldn't recommend the seed line directly -- I've had more variation out of one set of ten seeds than I thought was possible. This phenotype seems to be the leaf-producer. I have two like this in flower currently. Grown in coco in #3 Smart Pots, hand watered daily.

One of that plant's sisters has a different structure, and I've removed much fewer leaves from that one. Won't clutter up this thread, but you can see it as the far-right, tall plant in this pic. You can see that I even left some of the largest fan leaves on the tall one.

Just wanted to show that some strains may produce more leaves than are really necessary. I think that by selective breeding we've created strains that may not be ideally suited to the non-interventionist "leave it alone and let it grow like it wants to" perspective.

Anybody ready for a Throw Down. I am I'll bring 9 strains to the table. Winner takes all?

9 strains!? 6 of them are probably PoOp! :wacko::blink:

I seen that first pic. That bud was sorrry looking man. I toss pieces like that in the scraps!

I been growing for 7 months, I just got nice strain recently that I KNOW is gonna be my pride and joy. I never grew this strain before but thats fine. I'm willing to put this strain against whatever you got!

My strains tight, my nutes are right,... anytime. :P I got am Oz. on it. :money:

9 strains!? 6 of them are probably PoOp! :wacko::blink:

I seen that first pic. That bud was sorrry looking man. I toss pieces like that in the scraps!

I been growing for 7 months, I just got nice strain recently that I KNOW is gonna be my pride and joy. I never grew this strain before but thats fine. I'm willing to put this strain against whatever you got!

My strains tight, my nutes are right,... anytime. :P I got am Oz. on it. :money:

I want to be in attendance. Totally of subject but we should have are own cannabis cup. Wired good to see youve come to the bright side. JK. I laughed my donkey off at your post. :lol: