Cell Phone Camera Reminder

Some smart phones and cameras have GPS capabilities. What a lot of people don't realize is when you take a picture with your cell phone or camera it can embed a location stamp in the saved image. This is called EXIF (exchangable image file format.) I checked a few images here and did not find any that included GPS information. In some other forums there were pictures of grows that included the GPS coordinates. You could use google maps and see their house. To check the images from your phone upload them at EXIF Viewer Look for the GPS latitude and GPS longitude lines. They can be removed with programs like photoshop or gimp.

I had a issues months ago! Took my Nextel in to get repaired,well they gave me a new phone and when they transferred the pic's they seen lots of grow room pics.

Make a long story short..they were gonna report the pics to the local LEO,until i told them and should them my MM card .....

Should always make sure u dont have those pics on the phone...lol

Thanks for the tips.  I always use the 'mogrify' command to strip out EXIF info and resize photos:  

mogrify -strip -resize 1000x1000 *.jpg

Type that and I'm done, and all my photos are resized to 1000 pixels max and free of all EXIF info.  Mogrify and the other Imagemagick tools were built into my Ubuntu system, and are also free to  download and install on Windows.

Guest Medicinal Patient

Wow I didn't know that. Great tip for those with these types of phones. Thanks for this post. Very informative. :goodjob: 1up

Guest Mr_smith

This also goes for most multimedia phones as well. I have seen alot of $hit happen to people over cell phone pics. Thats really messed up that a cell dealer was going to call the fuzz. Whats even more messed up is that the machine we use to transfer pics, phonebooks, videos etc.. does not show any of the things being transferred! So they were just snooping through your pics. (most cell salesman will, espicially if you come in with a sexy girlfriend) Long story short, buy a digital camera!

Some smart phones and cameras have GPS capabilities. What a lot of people don't realize is when you take a picture with your cell phone or camera it can embed a location stamp in the saved image. This is called EXIF (exchangable image file format.) I checked a few images here and did not find any that included GPS information. In some other forums there were pictures of grows that included the GPS coordinates. You could use google maps and see their house. To check the images from your phone upload them at EXIF Viewer Look for the GPS latitude and GPS longitude lines. They can be removed with programs like photoshop or gimp.

How did you check the images already posted?

How do I check images from a camera?

Archived