Aclu To Fight Ordinances On Marijuana

ACLU to fight ordinances on marijuana

Regional news: ACLU to fight ordinances on marijuana

COMPILED FROM REPORTS BY BILL LAITNER, STEVE NEAVLING AND THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Comments (0) Recommend Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share

BIRMINGHAM, BLOOMFIELD HILLS: ACLU to fight ordinances on marijuana

In letters sent Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan challenged ordinances that the group said violate the rights of medical-marijuana users.

More than 50 Michigan cities, townships and counties have passed laws to regulate medical marijuana, but Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills are "the first ones we've seen that appear to completely ban medical marijuana," ACLU staff attorney Dan Korobkin said.

Bloomfield Hills City Manager Jay Cravens said the city's ordinance, passed in June, merely regulates land use linked to medical marijuana. "Our ordinance does not enforce any requirements on medical-marijuana patients who use this drug in their residence," Cravens said.

Birmingham officials did not return calls and an e-mail Thursday.

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

This seems to be the broadside response to the prohibitionist efforts to circumvent state law

I can hardly wait to see how Ypsitownship officials respond to their letter

They have not gone quite as far as others but their ordinance still contravenes State Law and the will of their own constituents as this area voted 72% in favor of the MMMA

I hope they have taken note of this and other facts and will now do the right thing and just kill the bill and write one that follows the MMMA. Worry about electrical issues or other normal concerns of a township. Nuisance and Noise are your proper purview

I already joined the ACLU at the 50$ level and I will wear that t-shirt to the next township meeting

They do have their moments. This is one of those times that they (ACLU) has my gratitude, support, and respect.

Agreed.

See me and the ACLU do not always see eye to eye on all issues that being said. There is that little thing we have as American citizens and generally humanity, that there are times when both sides come together for the good of the People. This does not happen often and is cherished when it does.

i certainly hope they go after the Anti- Caregiver ordinances that have come in to play in Grand Rapids.

Has there been a change in the ordinances in Grand Rapids since the one the city commission was supporting in Jan? I know that one (from Jan) seemed to be in compliance with the state law "allowing a caregiver with up to 5 patients to dispense medical marijuana from their home" but didn't allow for dispensaries.

Would love any info on any changes to that policy.

Edited to add: Found the other regulations they put in place. Registering as a home business, only 5 patients a week (seems innocent enough, the law only allows for 5 patients per CG, unless they are counting each visit as a different visit), and must be 1000 ft from a school.

Guest Wayne

Every person on this site owes an obligation to the ACLU. Want to help? Simple! Join and stay a member for life. They can't do anything without funding.

Every person on this site owes an obligation to the ACLU. Want to help? Simple! Join and stay a member for life. They can't do anything without funding.

If they had selective funding (i.e. allowed me to choose where my funding went), I might actually do that. However, that is not the case as far as I am aware, and will not fund some of their other causes.

I do thank them for what they are doing on this issue.

Has there been a change in the ordinances in Grand Rapids since the one the city commission was supporting in Jan? I know that one (from Jan) seemed to be in compliance with the state law "allowing a caregiver with up to 5 patients to dispense medical marijuana from their home" but didn't allow for dispensaries.

Would love any info on any changes to that policy.

Edited to add: Found the other regulations they put in place. Registering as a home business, only 5 patients a week (seems innocent enough, the law only allows for 5 patients per CG, unless they are counting each visit as a different visit), and must be 1000 ft from a school.

For anyone else interested, here is the link to the MINUTES of the City Commission of Grand Rapids. You can hit Ctrl+F then search for Caregiver, and it should take you to the Home Occupation section (around page 10). It took me a while to find something other than speculation about this ordinance. So, i wanted to make this directly available for anyone interested.

I have been a card carrying member for over 30 years. I don't like it when they defend the KKK or other groups I don't agree with but I understand that protecting even the most vial speech is critical to a free nation.

ACLU to fight ordinances on marijuana

Regional news: ACLU to fight ordinances on marijuana

COMPILED FROM REPORTS BY BILL LAITNER, STEVE NEAVLING AND THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Comments (0) Recommend Print E-mail Letter to the editor Share

BIRMINGHAM, BLOOMFIELD HILLS: ACLU to fight ordinances on marijuana

In letters sent Thursday, the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan challenged ordinances that the group said violate the rights of medical-marijuana users.

More than 50 Michigan cities, townships and counties have passed laws to regulate medical marijuana, but Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills are "the first ones we've seen that appear to completely ban medical marijuana," ACLU staff attorney Dan Korobkin said.

Bloomfield Hills City Manager Jay Cravens said the city's ordinance, passed in June, merely regulates land use linked to medical marijuana. "Our ordinance does not enforce any requirements on medical-marijuana patients who use this drug in their residence," Cravens said.

Birmingham officials did not return calls and an e-mail Thursday.

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

I wonder who exactly these ACLU attornes are here....I mean when I think of the ACLU I always conjure up some out of state lawyers..? Does anyone know who some of these local Attorneys actually are..? Just Curious....

I wonder who exactly these ACLU attornes are here....I mean when I think of the ACLU I always conjure up some out of state lawyers..? Does anyone know who some of these local Attorneys actually are..? Just Curious....

I always thought to practice law you have to pass the state BAR exam. I suppose they could bring in out of state attorneys to consult but the attorney of record would most likely be a state attorney.

Archived