Solvent For Simpson Oil

affordablemimeds

Did you read his web site?

Phoenix Tears Simpson Oil

He likes using pure naphtha (high cost) but says 99% isopropyl alcohol works as well. I have concerns but all the alcohol and bad stuff is suppose to burn off. I would think that everclear would work great too as it would not leave anything bad behind however the cost would be way up there.

A still would be really nice that way you could reuse the alcohol over and over again and not pollute the environment. But bootlegging is still illegal everywhere in the US.

He likes using pure naphtha (high cost) but says 99% isopropyl alcohol works as well.

I called Rick and asked him about this.

He was using the Naphtha because it was the least expensive solvent he could find. He had the ability to purchase it directly from a refinery.

Please please please note this:

There are many different kinds of naphtha. It's like saying "alcohol." Which alcohol? Or like saying "oil." What kind of oil?

The kind of naphtha that Rick was using is also called "hexane." It has a boiling point much lower than water.

The only naphtha I was able to find in this area is "VM&P Naphtha." This kind of naphtha has a boiling point of about 300 degrees F. Much higher than water.

It is much easier to find 99% isopropal alcohol at Mejers. about a buck fifty for a pint. It's a pain to hit a couple of the stores and clean off the shelves. But it works.

Please be very very careful about fire. Please don't let me read about you being burned or killed.

He likes using pure naphtha (high cost) but says 99% isopropyl alcohol works as well. I have concerns but all the alcohol and bad stuff is suppose to burn off. I would think that everclear would work great too as it would not leave anything bad behind however the cost would be way up there.

A still would be really nice that way you could reuse the alcohol over and over again and not pollute the environment. But bootlegging is still illegal everywhere in the US.

I have some 190 proof everclear, which i bought in Tenn.,you can buy it here in Michigan but it is only 150 proof.

http://www.pemro.com/items.asp?Cc=IPA99&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Pure isopropyl alcohol ACS/USP grade 99%; size: box of four one-gallon bottles; price listed is a case of four one-gallon bottles; shipping charges plus hazardous material charges added to invoice at time of shipment

Web Price: $89.09 each

Try Premo Distribution. I buy it by the case for industrial purposes. Not sure if it's cheaper than going to several stores but it's much more convent.

Dizz

you can get a distilling permit for personal consumption in Mi.

http://www.pemro.com/items.asp?Cc=IPA99&iTpStatus=0&Tp=&Bc=

Pure isopropyl alcohol ACS/USP grade 99%; size: box of four one-gallon bottles; price listed is a case of four one-gallon bottles; shipping charges plus hazardous material charges added to invoice at time of shipment

Web Price: $89.09 each

Try Premo Distribution. I buy it by the case for industrial purposes. Not sure if it's cheaper than going to several stores but it's much more convent.

Dizz

That's about twice the price, about $2.78 per pint, that Meijers charges at $1.59 per pint.

Oops!!! and I thought by ordering at four gallons at a time that I would save some money for 99%. Will have to do my home work.....

Dizz

I've been looking for a long time now.

If you find something, please let us know!

I hate all the little bottles, but I can't justify an extra forty bucks for a box.

As a suggestion for 99% etoh in large volume, I might suggest checking with your local independent pharmacy. If they ask tell them it's for cleaning high quality wood, maybe invent a big sailboat. I used to order 16 gallons at a time twice yearly for our local bowling alley. They used it for something on the lanes, not sure what.

Thanks to all for the help. I went with 99% alcohol, just enough good trim to use 1 quart of alcohol. Retrieved 4.5 grams of finished product. Ate some this morning, at first I was a little sick to my stomach, that soon passed and got a nice body buzz. Can I use this to make candy with?

I have taken chocolate and melted it down, added the Simpson oil, stir till its all one color, then put in a mold and in the fridge. I like them. It tastes like the brownies do but more chocolaty. I know you can add it to a lot of different things, just remember how much oil to how much of your whatever your making, in case its to week or strong.

I have taken chocolate and melted it down, added the Simpson oil, stir till its all one color, then put in a mold and in the fridge. I like them. It tastes like the brownies do but more chocolaty. I know you can add it to a lot of different things, just remember how much oil to how much of your whatever your making, in case its to week or strong.

Well that was my next question how much to use. For like the candy recipe in the other post.

Well that was my next question how much to use. For like the candy recipe in the other post.

I have no idea how much I used...lol That is why I told you to make sure you knew so you can make adjustments. Anyway you would probably have to make adjustments as my tolerance is different than yours, higher or lower. :P

you can get a distilling permit for personal consumption in Mi.

It is federal tax law. That is why they called them revenuers. The only permit you can get is from Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms and that is for use as a fuel only. And if you get a fuel permit you still have to pay tax on every gallon you make. For human consumption are only given to commercial distilleries. You can make all the beer and wine you want but the minute a still is brought into the process you are SOL.

A good reflux column still will get you about 190 proof. See http://homedistiller.org/ but move to New Zealand before making one because that is about the only place you can do it legally.

• 3 years later...

consuming isopropyl alcohol will make you feel "sick to your stomach" Even more important than the solvent chosen, total solvent removal is imperative.

be safe.

Thanks to all for the help. I went with 99% alchol, just enough good trim to use 1 quart of alchol. Retrived 4.5 grams of finished product. Ate some this morning, at first I was a littl sick to my stomach, that soon passed and got a nice body buzz. Can I use this to make candy with?

Item Name- Price f45a0de43b84db608cbba98901489da6.image.2 Alcohol 99 % - Gallon Bottles
Nailite's 99% Pure Alcohol can be used to prep the natural nail to remove any excess oils and dirt from the surface.  It can also be used as a sanitizer for all salon surfaces.  Used as a finishing product, 99% alcohol will remove the tacky residue left behing from a UV gel nail service.    
$10.00

... more info

Item Name- Price f45a0de43b84db608cbba98901489da6.image.2 Alcohol 99 % - Gallon Bottles

Nailite's 99% Pure Alcohol can be used to prep the natural nail to remove any excess oils and dirt from the surface.  It can also be used as a sanitizer for all salon surfaces.  Used as a finishing product, 99% alcohol will remove the tacky residue left behing from a UV gel nail service.    

$10.00

... more info

I couldn't get the safe use sheet to load. I don't trust this stuff with such a limited description. The price after shipping is really close to what you would end up paying locally for 91%, (only thing available now at meijers) and distilling it to 100%. If you distill it off yourself then you know that all of the solvent will leave the oil in a predictable way.

I don't trust anything but N-Butane personally, my choice after using all of the above. It comes food safe, organic, lab grade and even the container is certified pure.

There is no shortage of 99% iso online.

westmedics

amazon

sears

cvs, on and on.

All too expensive. If you distil the Meijer 91% into 100%, then use the 100% you collected, it's safer than anything you depended on the label to use. You have a solvent that you know will act as you assume the others will act.