Dispensaries

Jennifer8

I don't understand how "dispensaries" are legally allowed to "set up shop". It doesn't bother me as long as they are ran responsibly and not illegally "giving" to those not legally qualifying. I have not found any Michigan legislation on it. No Michigan guidelines, which would scare the shite out of me in operating one, because of that. All I understand about it is that somehow a person or people have started business? in a place where they can sell or somehow distribute seeds and medicinal marijuana? I can't even find much information on what kind of a business license one has to get or if one is obtainable. I am thinking maybe patients and or caregivers are just standing behind a counter in a facility they rented out? So, people go into one and get their "starter kit", per se? Is it such a secret thingie that nobody can comfortably post about it? This is truly muddy waters. All I do know is that it is talked about in hush-hush ways. Possibly always being staked out by LEO, both state and federal, and people looking to bust in and rob the place blind? But, if it is so "covert" then why are there listed "dispensaries" not just on public access forums, but through out the net, within Michigan?

If dispensaries can either give away, sell, or somehow issue seeds and plants, then I am thinking people going to them are to show a valid card as a patient or caregiver? If that is how it works and issuing cards is backed-up in Lansing, so a person can show a seemingly legit copy of a check they used to pay for their card and the "dispensary" clerk/s behind a counter (or bullet proof glass) say, "Ok, Mr. Johnson, good enough. How can I assist you?" Then Mr. Johnson says, "I'll take 12 Bob Marley seeds, 6 Mauwie Wauwie seeds, 4 White Widow starter plants, and 6 Northern Light mature plants."?

I'm hazy about how they can stay in business, how federal, or ANY, law enforcement doesn't come busting through the doors and why they are allowed to go on, not that I worry about it, but I am confused about how it lawfully stays in business. I feel like I am not "getting it" in my brain. It isn't coming across as a legal enterprise which would scare me thinking any day I could start doing hard time in a federal prison. That being said, are city officials being paid off, directly or indirectly, to let them stay in business? (Like, I'm soooooo sure I'll get anyone to touch that with a ten foot pole.). Does a city ordinance say if one can be in a city? Is the political agenda on it one that says a dispensary can exist but lay low, or else....?

Can a person or must a person obtain a "dispensary" license? Do they pay taxes? Wasn't it Al Capone, someone known for criminal activity, who went down for not paying taxes, not exactly his criminal activity?

Do they register the name of their company? This nerd wants to understand more. So do other nerds who just want to understand this but not be of harm. (I come in peace.) See, I figure many people would want to start their own "dispensary", yet few do? It's like walking on egg shells with regards to the law, or lack there of it.

If more people understand "dispensaries", I am thinking there is less of a stigma and fear of them? If there is less stigma and fear then there is less pressure on LEO to make it go away, less complaints, less town hall arguments? People just want to know a dispensary is not illegally selling to minors, or to those not legally qualified for MM. People want to know the real agenda is to not get the whole town high on marijuana, or be a mafia-mentality drug trafficker bringing more crime and corruption to their town. People want to know their town isn't going to become Sodom and Gomorrah. They have to live there. People want to know they are safe, in a safe town and not have problems, and who would blame them? Not me. The less secretiveness, the less fear of it. The more education of it, the less narrow mindedness.

If it's legal why so much "covert operation" essence? In concept, it makes me think of a "speak-easy".

Thank you all for being patient with me. Again, I represent the people who are not against MM, and those who do not use it, legally or illegally, but who are trying to not be narrow minded muffin makers, but instead open minded with no political agenda, knowing education is the key to understanding.

Also, having wrote all I have, I want to remind people to please not post anything that can possibly, by accident, cause yourself to have a hard time or make LEO start "liking" you. Some people may have hypothetical information to share, alleged information, or theoretical thoughts. I know some want to enlighten, but at the same time there are no absolutes in this MMMA, in some aspects. I don't want anyone who is thoughtful and helpful to perhaps post anything that could even remotely be considered incriminating, because I am also wanting to remain respectful to the entire big picture and each of you, regardless of my lack of knowledge. I would rather find information out another way and never get my answers here, rather than have another person suffer consequences when they were only trying to be sincerely helpful.

LOL..."MUFFIN MAKERS".

I don't understand how "dispensaries" are legally allowed to "set up shop". It doesn't bother me as long as they are ran responsibly and not illegally "giving" to those not legally qualifying. I have not found any Michigan legislation on it. No Michigan guidelines, which would scare the shite out of me in operating one, because of that.

Prayer works for the strangest of things ...

A while back I predicted 20 dispenseries within 8 months

I think there is at least ten now maybe more!

Look at Colorado...nothing about dispenseries in their law

The city of Boulder alone has over 100 dispenseries!!! :D

The way things are now moving...ordinances are actually legitimizing dispenseries...by telling us where to put them through zoning

Put a dispensery...here

You have to put a dispensery ...here....or here...not over there

HERE....ok...alright already we'll put a dispensery there!

Keep your pants on...... :D

Hi. It's me again. That annoying nagging gal who is trying to understand things better because I am not narrow minded, but instead, to those who consume MM, legally or not, I am representative of "conservative-yet-willing-to-learn nerds that vote". I also believe marijuana, medical or not, should be legalized like alcohol is and so do a lot of other people.

So,.......who decides who can set up a dispensary, assuming the person would normally qualify under the law, be it a licensed person or not? Does the person or people contact the local police department in their town?

I'll tell you what is unfair, confusing, and aggravating. The fact that there is no Michigan laws or literature published, for Michigan, about dispensaries to show standards, guidelines, ordinances, etc.,is.....weird.

Should I simply go to my local police department and request a meeting with my local law enforcement officials to get answers to these questions? I bet they don't even know which end is up, but they are probably not going to admit that.

Secretiveness causes suspicion. This leads many to believe that a dispensary is just a clever way for drug dealers to simultaneously commit criminal activity while, at the same time, assisting legally and lawful MM people. It gives the mental image of a dispensary operator/owner to go outside the specifics stated in the MMMA and be allowed to have a larger inventory of all things connected to the growth and use of MM, than a single patient or caregiver is allowed to, allowing that particular dispensary owner the upper hand to substantially gain financially from such enterprise.

Maybe other people would want to start something like that (not me). Michigan is a state with a terrible economy where so many have lost so much. It's tragic. So, why in the world can people not be allowed to make an explosively great income from it if others are allowed to? Having something defined or in writing, or even known, would help protect from prosecution, harassment, crime, or all the above.

Can you imagine if marijuana is legal, period, but ONLY in Michigan? We could become a hugely popular and economically thriving state. Not just for our marijuana being legally allowed while regulated to some extent, but tourism would be another factor. People would actually want to come here in masses, not just because they were originally from here before they made their escape, and not just because they came here to make a movie due to the tax break. Real estate would be booming. Unemployment would decrease due to the domino effect of enterprise establishing. Government assistance wouldn't be so depleted and beaten down. It is a very logical concept. I cannot see violent crime escalating from use. In fact, the criminals will take a dent in their pocket, but they will stay with dealing harmful and addictive drugs, and continue to get busted for it. Violent crime may go down if marijuana is legalized in Michigan. Imagine how much taxes would be paid on it. If only we had a politician that had a set of balls.

Our state is in dire need of help and I have absolutely, positively no faith in any politician with any "new plan" of pathetic gobbledygook that always includes the misappropriation of tax payer funds for the latest stupid useless project that is always ONLY the jacking of their jaws to sound good AND the ever so overplayed band aid over a gun shot wound project that will employ only 400 people in a later dead end job.

If me, a representative of the nerdy group of voters, is not able to understand things, due to so much secretiveness & lack of knowledge, then how do you expect more voters and town residents to better understand things? How do you expect the average Joe citizen to even want to understand "the cause" when there is a lot of ambiguity with the entire process, in Michigan, of "dispensaries"? I genuinely want to know more and so do others who live in middle, lower, and upper class neighborhoods. Some of us go to church some of us don't. Some are genuinely good people with good values who may also be members of the PTA, or not. Some are very good stay home moms and genuinely hard working family men. Some are those who are recent college graduates, still in college, or who haven't had time to start families because they are ambitious in the work force and some are recently retired, but the common ground is that many of us are trying to at least be fair and not allow or wanting others to tell us what we should think, what we should fear, or what we should believe. That goes for elected city officials, too!

People do not vote for something that is seemingly secretive, suspicious, ambiguous, weird and not understood. It also allows donkey rectum politicians to play more on the people's fears. They LOVE playing that "FEAR CARD"!

People want to know, and have a right to know, what they are or are not allowing in their towns, cities, and counties. Helping to make things more clear could illiminate some form of harassment and confusion from LEO. There would be more protection and rights for the shop owners by LEO.

Dispensaries are allowed in some places but then I read in an article that a police chief in Royal Oak, MI said *HE* would not allow one in that town. So, a dispensary is allowed to exist only if the chief of police says it can? If the chief of police feels pressure from citizens, WHY IS THAT? It is because there is not enough public EDUCATION, period. Or, not enough campaigning by people who don't look and act like Creed or ZZ Top band members. That's the ugly truth, fair or not. Winning votes isn't just about the subject. Sadly, it is also about PR and imagery. Fight fire with fire. Politicians, who truly only care about votes and the perks they get, and abuse, in office love, love, love to intentionally provide lies and FEAR, FEAR, FEAR to the public. These politicians DO NOT CARE if marijuana is legal or illegal. They care about pleasing the belief system of the majority of voters and because of who pays and does favors for those particular politicians. However, if enough people are intelligently informed and educated, then you have more strength in numbers and *votes*.

It all seems like some underworld activity because when anything is on the up and up there is at least SOME form of information on it instead of zero information. Why should some people be able to set up and sell this stuff yet others cannot? That's not right and that's not even fair. If that's the case, caregivers and patients should also be allowed to sell their excess growth and inventory.

Another thing, are only those with a legit MM card the ONLY ONES allowed to own/run/set up a dispensary? If not, what's that all about? People have a right to know.

If the answer is that there still is not enough information on it, or, still not enough legislature on it, or, everyone is still waiting for more court case decisions, then I ask you again, how are some able to set up shop and not be arrested or go outside the guidelines of the MMMA and stay in business while not being arrested?

And while I'm at it. My friends and I were honestly to God going to respectfully attend a "COMPASSION GROUP" meeting not far from where we live, to understand things better as not to have our heads in our donkey. We got there and were told by someone, after realizing there was actually no meeting, that a city official VERBALLY TOLD the group that they could no longer meet. WTF? Then, as if that wasn't X-Files enough, me and my friends thought it strange that people running that compassion group did not do anything about a verbal statement from some city official to "SHUT DOWN AND GET OUT OF TOWN". Why would a compassion group just say, "OK"? It seems unfair and illegal, based on no illegal activity. That's wrong. Why didn't people still meet and say, respectfully and in a non threatening way, "I am respectfully asking on what grounds and wish to know exactly why, what legal right do you have to do such a thing?". While also prepared ahead of time with statutes, case law and instruction from an intelligent attorney, just in case, ready to be respectfully sticking up for not just my rights, but the rights of the group people...unless, of course, I knew there was illegal drug activity going on under my nose. Other than that, why is that allowed to happen? It's wrong. Town people and LEO don't do that to AA meetings. If I ran a compassion group, assuming that's what they actually are. I would invite, formally, local law enforcement AND their sniffer dogs to come to the meetings. People using their MM prior to coming would have their legit cards, already anticipating the police dog going into a frenzy every other minute making hits. I would also let everyone in the group know about the "meeting and sharing of minds" well before the meeting. I would have a sign posted before the entrance for those patrons who came by as to enlighten them about what they are coming into, too. When people know how to communicate with people, when there is nothing to hide, and when there is even a small hint of willingness, many things are possible. LEO would have to be willing to want a better understanding, able to say their piece and concerns, too. Communication is a two way street. So is respect. That would also mean a respectable meeting with the local chief of police, and God help you if he or she is well known for corruption. If that is the case, I'd say don't bother.

• 4 weeks later...

I my self must eather be brave or a fool. curently i live in michigan and would like to open a dispensary. and before i go runing blind into this is there anyone who could help me with the more detailed informatin. Such as what kind of licens and cirtifacates i'll need. so far im asumeing that it be like starting any other business i'll need a location rescale licens and a cargiver card or a medical marijuana card but other thatn that im lost and the internet has been less than helpfull for information so if anyone could help me fill in the blanks that would be amzing.

If I was opening ANY kind of business,the second thing I would do would be to hire a lawyer.

the Lawyer don't know if you ask them they always say the same thing

i will got to court with you thats what they say lets let one of them open one up then we will be safe maybe

but when i was at the Ferndale one and talked to the Mayor their i thought i was safe you know the rest of the story

it was good to see you at the Protest yesterday

Peace from the front

Bob

post-4361-060547500 1284054016_thumb.jpg

If you have no assets, there's no risk (except your time doing time or working at starting a dispensary--something that may help the sick and may help you acquire assets).

If you generally in your life go around flouting limits in other aspects of law you will flout our law's limits and if your timing is good you may come out smelling like a rose or a great grade of skunk--for a minute.

If you have more assets than sense or more boldness than sense then what (WA DC attorney Karen O'Keefe) says about staying within the limtits of the law she helped draft is something you will assume applies to other folks but not to you. And if you are wrong you will be one of those like Trix and Antonio pleading for help from the MMA community. Even if you have super timing and local support and do millions in business you may be like those in California who ran a dispensary for a few years, closed up when the heat upped and find yourself prosecuted for a long since closed 0dispensary by the DEA for those past millions of dollars in transactions (and there are dozens of them right now facing 10 to 30 years Federal time)just as though you had operated completely outside of the MM legal structure and it had never existed. If you don't know about these prosecutions and yet choose to operate a dispensary you have not yet done enough research.

I'm a bit sorry to be harsh but the past and current DEA proecutions are a book in Federal court records open to everyone, and unless your plan is to operate a couple years and wire the millions out of the country and go where you will not be extradited, or a change in Federal law, you can count on a date with the DEA, minus vaseline.

You don't need a dispensary.

You need a private club to belong to that is organized to take care of its members. Being organized I mean facilitate the connection between patients that grow and patients that need help.

I believe the MMMP can be a 'simulus plan' to bail out michigan - it can allow individual people - like you and me - to grow and then help other patients with overages. I don't want a Walmart of marijuana - that corporate stuff only robs the little people - people like you and I.

This is meant to be a 'grass-roots' movement - grass roots - not a pun, but a real statement of power to the people. We need to remove power from governments and corporations and give it back to the individual. We want to teach people to grow, and teach them to help their local patients. This is the "bail out" plan WE made - NOT OBAMA.

We need more private clubs, clubs that pool their funds for a lawyer on retainer, insurance, good speakers to teach tax laws, drug laws, how to grow.

Cities will likely be more receptive to a private club, obscure building - with no neon marijuana leaf flashing in the window. They will likely accept the club is private - and not dealing to anyone that walks in off the street looking for marijuana. Having a private club that knows its members, can reduce the likelyhood of selling to a LEO.

The Club can also provide cheaper meds for its members - as they will run co-op grows and shift overages inside the club. This is not the same as a dispensary which is just intending to sell meds to you.

-DN

the Lawyer don't know if you ask them they always say the same thing

i will got to court with you thats what they say lets let one of them open one up then we will be safe maybe

but when i was at the Ferndale one and talked to the Mayor their i thought i was safe you know the rest of the story

it was good to see you at the Protest yesterday

Peace from the front

Bob

I have been talking to people that did open up shop and then got closed - apparently you'll get what you pay for in a lawyer - some lawyers are clueless about the MMMP. Some lawyers apparently cannot be trusted still.

-DN

As far as I can see, dispensaries were not written into the law so I'd consider them illegal, though I do acknowledge there needs to be a place where a patient can go who has no caregiver or if something happens to their cg or the grow isn't ready yet or something happens to it. Some say if it's not in the law it could be considered legal but I'd err on the side of caution, now I'm sorry to say I feel the disp thing is ruining it for everyone b/c it seems to me they were not an intended part of our law. A cg could have more than 5 patients that would solve a lot, if they can handle it but all I know is I'm not gonna go to one even if I knew the owner and just pop in to say hi.

Sb

I have been talking to people that did open up shop and then got closed - apparently you'll get what you pay for in a lawyer - some lawyers are clueless about the MMMP. Some lawyers apparently cannot be trusted still.

-DN

What is the MMMP? Come to think of it, is that not what a certain county sheriff was using as a reference to what was legal and illegal?

;)

As far as I can see, dispensaries were not written into the law so I'd consider them illegal, though I do acknowledge there needs to be a place where a patient can go who has no caregiver or if something happens to their cg or the grow isn't ready yet or something happens to it. Some say if it's not in the law it could be considered legal but I'd err on the side of caution, now I'm sorry to say I feel the disp thing is ruining it for everyone b/c it seems to me they were not an intended part of our law. A cg could have more than 5 patients that would solve a lot, if they can handle it but all I know is I'm not gonna go to one even if I knew the owner and just pop in to say hi.

Sb

There are a whole lot of things that are not mentioned in the MMA.

The air we breath. The food we eat. The gas we put in our cars.

None of those things are illegal just because they are not mentioned in the MMA.

People will disagree with me. Some of those people carry badges.

1. Dispensaries and co-ops have never been made illegal. Not by federal or

state law. They simply have never been discussed in any controlled substance

acts.

2. The Michigan Medical Marihuana Act. does not make them legal. It also

does not mention them at all.

3. There is no need to re-legalize something that was never made illegal to

begin with.

Many in law enforcement believe that they must be illegal since the MMA does

not make them legal.

Of course they do. They want to put us all in jail with whatever tool they can grasp.

There are many reasons, in my opinion, why there is a need for Dispensaries, but this is my main one:

If you are an older person, say someone that is in their 70's. How many 70 year old people knows of someone to supply them marijuana? Sure, they may be able to go to compassion clubs or join websites like this, but from my personal experience, there are not a lot of elder sick people on the Internet and if they are sick, they aren't out and about. (This site probably has the most of described)

But Maybe I'm wrong...

These people need a safe place to get their medicine!

There are many reasons, in my opinion, why there is a need for Dispensaries, but this is my main one:

If you are an older person, say someone that is in their 70's. How many 70 year old people knows of someone to supply them marijuana? Sure, they may be able to go to compassion clubs or join websites like this, but from my personal experience, there are not a lot of elder sick people on the Internet and if they are sick, they aren't out and about. (This site probably has the most of described)

But Maybe I'm wrong...

These people need a safe place to get their medicine!

I agree

"a safe place to get meds"

Why make people go back to a system where they are treated like a customer?

The idea behind a Compassion Based Ideology, or just the 'grass-roots movement' was to put the power back in the hands of individual people. When you continue with a 'store-front dispensary' idea - you are still perpetuating the corporation mindset of marketing and business like attitudes.

Why not a Club based system? Clubs have to be local - because that is best to serve their patients and caregivers.

So each community should NOT have a dispensary on every street corner with a bight neon leaf sign - but a private clubhouse, with a discreet entrance. The club is organized so growers can interact with their membership and provide the best variety and prices. Instead of that 70 year old man having to run out and pick up some meds, he will likely find a club member that will deliver it to him. After all he is a club member.

I think we can reduce the cost of meds and provide reliable service with more compassion than a dispensary, and having a club membership to a community that advocates, teaches, and organizes themselves to be effiecent and SAFE is logical.

If you guys think that clubs will monopolize or exclude people - you are wrong, clubs work best being local - as patients do not want to travel too far for meds or events. On the other hand, you don't have to belong to any specific club or your local one - you can visit them all.

Clubs can be safer as membership kind of requires you to be known. The fast buck - quik stop of a dispensary just opens all those doors for LEO.

Don't copy what other states do, lets create something new, something better.

-DN

The idea behind a Compassion Based Ideology, or just the 'grass-roots movement' was to put the power back in the hands of individual people. When you continue with a 'store-front dispensary' idea - you are still perpetuating the corporation mindset of marketing and business like attitudes.

Why not a Club based system? Clubs have to be local - because that is best to serve their patients and caregivers.

So each community should NOT have a dispensary on every street corner with a bight neon leaf sign - but a private clubhouse, with a discreet entrance. The club is organized so growers can interact with their membership and provide the best variety and prices. Instead of that 70 year old man having to run out and pick up some meds, he will likely find a club member that will deliver it to him. After all he is a club member.

I think we can reduce the cost of meds and provide reliable service with more compassion than a dispensary, and having a club membership to a community that advocates, teaches, and organizes themselves to be effiecent and SAFE is logical.

If you guys think that clubs will monopolize or exclude people - you are wrong, clubs work best being local - as patients do not want to travel too far for meds or events. On the other hand, you don't have to belong to any specific club or your local one - you can visit them all.

Clubs can be safer as membership kind of requires you to be known. The fast buck - quik stop of a dispensary just opens all those doors for LEO.

-DN

http://www.northerne...res.asp?id=4859

-DN

Glad we're on the same page.

Except for that delivery stuff. I don't know of any kind of club anywhere that delivers anything to anybody.

FYI 3rd Coast in Ypsilanti is a private club with membership. Only club members are allowed into the bud rooms.

You don't need a dispensary.

You need a private club to belong to that is organized to take care of its members. Being organized I mean facilitate the connection between patients that grow and patients that need help.

I believe the MMMP can be a 'simulus plan' to bail out michigan - it can allow individual people - like you and me - to grow and then help other patients with overages. I don't want a Walmart of marijuana - that corporate stuff only robs the little people - people like you and I.

This is meant to be a 'grass-roots' movement - grass roots - not a pun, but a real statement of power to the people. We need to remove power from governments and corporations and give it back to the individual. We want to teach people to grow, and teach them to help their local patients. This is the "bail out" plan WE made - NOT OBAMA.

We need more private clubs, clubs that pool their funds for a lawyer on retainer, insurance, good speakers to teach tax laws, drug laws, how to grow.

Cities will likely be more receptive to a private club, obscure building - with no neon marijuana leaf flashing in the window. They will likely accept the club is private - and not dealing to anyone that walks in off the street looking for marijuana. Having a private club that knows its members, can reduce the likelyhood of selling to a LEO.

The Club can also provide cheaper meds for its members - as they will run co-op grows and shift overages inside the club. This is not the same as a dispensary which is just intending to sell meds to you.

-DN

Hi Soundless, I'd give you a +Rep but I ran out of reps today so I wanted to say something.

Sb

Archived