Royal Oak Says 'no' To State's Largest Marijuana Warehouse

Royal Oak says 'no' to state's largest marijuana warehouse; commissioner seeks permanent ban

Published: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 6:45 AM Updated: Tuesday, August 10, 2010, 6:45 AM

The Royal Oak City Commission on Monday night voted unanimously against an exception to the city's temporary medical marijuana moratorium for a local businessman seeking to turn his vacant warehouse into the state's largest grow facility.

James B. Canner met with city officials in May in hopes of avoiding foreclosure on his 23,000 square-foot warehouse by leasing it to a tenant who would convert it into roughly two dozen grow rooms for medical marijuana caregivers.

If approved and leased to capacity, it is believed the facility at 14 Mile and Crooks would have been the largest of its type in Michigan.

But WXYZ reports the commission voted 7-0 to keep in place a 180-day moratorium passed in May that bars Canner and other entrepreneurs from opening medical marijuana businesses. The request could be revived by the city's Planning Committee, but it's not clear if the issue will make it back to the full commission.

Separately, a company named Mary Jane's Flowers has requested an exemption to the moratorium with plans to open a dispensary in a vacant storefront on Main Street. More than 20 other marijuana-related businesses have expressed interest in setting up shop in the city.

Commissioner Charles Semchena is concerned such dispensaries will breed crime and has proposed permanently extending the city's moratorium.

"I'd like to create an ordinance that would ban these facilities in Royal Oak and have that ordinance in place until there's some affirmative action taken by our friends in Lansing to correct the flaws in the state law," he told Fox 2.

Roughly 70 percent of Royal Oak residents voted in favor of a 2008 ballot proposal that legalized the use of medical marijuana in Michigan, but critics argue the state law is too vague and did not anticipate issues that have popped up on the local level.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/08/royal_oak_says_no_to_states_la.html

It certainly doesnt seem the DEA is playing fair. They need to give up their badges and guns and grab a shovel or a hoe and try to show a little compassion around here. In the case of Marijuana and Medicine, the case is closed. In the case of Medicinal Marijuana the people have spoke! Get out of our lives, if you are not part of the solution, find a better job.

This is NOT a 'dangerous drug ' we are talking about here, but a Jane Crow Law that is a blatant attempt to victimize the citizens of this Country the USA. Its long over due time we wrestled our Land back from these War Mongering Pigs.

"Rick Thompson of Center Line, editor of Michigan Medical Marijuana magazine, said cities like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills that have banned medical marijuana dispensaries and grow operations outright face legal challenges from the American Civil Liberties Union."

Someone may want to educate Mr. Thompson, we need the ACLU for more important issues.

It certainly doesn't seem the DEA is playing fair. They need to give up their badges and guns and grab a shovel or a hoe and try to show a little compassion around here. In the case of Marijuana and Medicine, the case is closed. In the case of Medicinal Marijuana the people have spoke! Get out of our lives, if you are not part of the solution, find a better job.

This is NOT a 'dangerous drug ' we are talking about here, but a Jane Crow Law that is a blatant attempt to victimize the citizens of this Country the USA. Its long over due time we wrestled our Land back from these War Mongering Pigs.

i could not believe it when the DEA was saying how bad this plant is for all of us

"Rick Thompson of Center Line, editor of Michigan Medical Marijuana magazine, said cities like Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills that have banned medical marijuana dispensaries and grow operations outright face legal challenges from the American Civil Liberties Union."

Someone may want to educate Mr. Thompson, we need the ACLU for more important issues.

This is the main local coverage of the recent ACLU letters to Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. This is the first good local public forum to get open conversation going on the bans. If you have something to say about regulation of medical marijuana distribution in Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills, the people who matter will likely read this article and its comments.

http://www.hometownl...-marijuana-laws

The main concerns of this community, surveying it as a resident, would be access by teens and the reputation of the community. As we all know, it is quite easy to get medicine to adults who need it while avoiding teens when you have a legal framework like medical marijuana. Additionally, discretion is as important to patients and caregivers as it is to them. Let's let them know that medical marijuana can be distributed safely and discretely in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills if they just let us know what NOT to do.

"Several commissioners and residents who voted for medical marijuana on the state ballot in November 2008 said they never imagined dispensaries and grow operations would be part of the reality of the law.

"We don't want grow facilities or dispensaries," said resident Madie Lopez. She added that the ballot issue was a "bait and switch playing on our emotions to help sick people."

Boy how stupid can people be? Dispensation and provisions for commercial grows and dispensaries were clearly outlined in Proposal 1. Just read it! Plain as the nose on your face. What makes anybody think this was about compassion and enabling individuals to cultivate and use cannabis in the privacy of their homes? Ridiculous!

This is the main local coverage of the recent ACLU letters to Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills. This is the first good local public forum to get open conversation going on the bans. If you have something to say about regulation of medical marijuana distribution in Birmingham or Bloomfield Hills, the people who matter will likely read this article and its comments.

The main concerns of this community, surveying it as a resident, would be access by teens and the reputation of the community. As we all know, it is quite easy to get medicine to adults who need it while avoiding teens when you have a legal framework like medical marijuana. Additionally, discretion is as important to patients and caregivers as it is to them. Let's let them know that medical marijuana can be distributed safely and discretely in Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills if they just let us know what NOT to do.

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/topic/21669-aclu-to-fight-ordinances-on-marijuana/page__hl__%2B+%2Bbirmingham+%2B

This ban is rediculous. I grew up and attended school near this warehouse and still live within 5 miles of it. There is NOTHING around there except industrial buildings and a Meijers. Ok, so there is a tech school, but in my opinion, that falls under the category of adult ed. (you can't attend until 11th grade or 16 years of age). This building has sat empty for some time and has the necessary space and ventilation equipment to be an optimal grow house. There is no good reason to ban this operation except ignorance. Too bad RO LEO are such jerks...this might be a good opportunity for a protest.

Kuiper's is all for something like this. He may have lost direct influence but I'm certain he has ample funding to make his plans reality. Perhaps we should turn this over to him and his partners?

Be thankful to those municipalities that are open to, or accepting of, dispensaries. Spend some money in neighboring businesses, say lunch at the local diner, and make a point of telling the manager/owner that the dispensary drew you to his establishment. We have no business taking a position on something that was not addressed by this public referendum. Don't we have enough work as it is protecting that which the people gave us. This is a sacred trust. Should we fail to treat it as such we deserve what we get. If this silliness doesn't end our rights very well may. I'd like to enjoy my new found freedom and protect it. But do as you wish and I'll enjoy while I can.

Be thankful to those municipalities that are open to, or accepting of, dispensaries. Spend some money in neighboring businesses, say lunch at the local diner, and make a point of telling the manager/owner that the dispensary drew you to his establishment. We have no business taking a position on something that was not addressed by this public referendum. Don't we have enough work as it is protecting that which the people gave us. This is a sacred trust. Should we fail to treat it as such we deserve what we get. If this silliness doesn't end our rights very well may. I'd like to enjoy my new found freedom and protect it. But do as you wish and I'll enjoy while I can.

i do see what you mean

a booth at the Dream Cruise. Put it right in their face. exposure to over a million people. if you can get a local business to let us put one up on their property, the city can't do anything about it if there is nothing for sale.

Archived