Kalamazoo Is Trying To Do It Right!

greenbuddha

The City of Kalamazoo is hopefully about to let State Approved Caregivers grow and sell to MMJ patients from their homes.

Of course the caregiver can't supply or sell to anyone but the five patients they are allowed under the 'law'.

It sets a very good example to other cities and it may spread once it can be seen that there are no criminal acts or violence associated with allowing it to take place.

Great news if it come about.

http://www.mapinc.or...10/n736/a08.htm

Not to be a cynic, just playing devil's advocate for a moment. What is to stop local or county LEO from manufacturing criminal acts and or violence in association with these legally registered patients and caregivers? You know something along the lines of pulling over every patient that leaves a known caregivers home, and charging them with OUI or some other crime?

Just something to think about. Further, are they going to require patients and caregivers in the city to register "to avoid being hassled" or some other type of database for local use?

To my knowledge state law overrides township laws they cannot ban anyone from being a caregiver all they can do is write you a code violation no criminal charges can be filed.

This is a money grab they will make you pay for the permit that you dont need because they say so screw that im not giving any politician a penny more than i already do.

So basically Kalamazoo is saying that they are going to respect the state law? They arent doing anything that isnt already written in the law, so I guess I dont really see what is so great about them...hmmmm. Kingdiamond said it, that state laws trump county, city and township laws and it is already in the state law that caregivers can provide for patients so I am realy not seeing this as too exciting. For those townships, citys and countys that have already enacted ordinances........well they are worthless as the law says that if you are within the guidlines of the law, no entity can punish you in anyway. All those ordinances with stricter guidlines are moot and a waste of tax payer dollars........

My 2 cents worth

Peace all,

Wildman

In all honesty, you could tell people they are now free to walk around with a joint sticking out of there a** if they want to... and SOMEONE would find a way to be unhappy about it.

But... I'm always the optimist... and POOP... I'm even going to VOTE this November 2nd.

Too rah loo rah loo...

It sounds to me like they are trying to outlaw dispensaries by only allowing sales to the listed patients of the caregivers. I don't know if this would stick as we know most of us interpret the law as allowing a caregiver to supply to any registered patient.

That is the part that is confusing to me. How are they (city employees) going to verify who is registered to who? How is the city going to verify that these folks are only distributing to their own patients, or that folks visiting a caregiver aren't patients?

While I do think you are right about the trying to outlaw dispensaries, I think there is another motive to this ordinance, and unfortunately it is a bit more sinister; collecting information about patients and caregivers.

That is the part that is confusing to me. How are they (city employees) going to verify who is registered to who? How is the city going to verify that these folks are only distributing to their own patients, or that folks visiting a caregiver aren't patients?

While I do think you are right about the trying to outlaw dispensaries, I think there is another motive to this ordinance, and unfortunately it is a bit more sinister; collecting information about patients and caregivers.

I was personally hoping that the Kal ordinance would turn out to be something very similar to the way the City of Holly's is intended to be.

It's kind of like Bernard Shaw said: "Sunny days and smiling faces always depress the sh*t of me."

You are probably right. You would think kalamazoo being a college town would be a little more progressive but I guess that is not the case. So far Battle Creek is looking pretty good these days.

I wonder if a county could pass a legalization ordinance? Like they do for fireworks in Indiana. Then one county could become the nations capital for legal cannabis.

personally, i wouldn't sell from my home. there is no way i would want anyone to know where i've got my stash/grow. if i was a caregiver, i'd be paranoid enough that people would follow me home and know where i live, let alone having people come to my house, or even catching a ride to my house with a friend.

that's just me, though

personally, i wouldn't sell from my home. there is no way i would want anyone to know where i've got my stash/grow. if i was a caregiver, i'd be paranoid enough that people would follow me home and know where i live, let alone having people come to my house, or even catching a ride to my house with a friend.

that's just me, though

Phil, IMHO you sound like a rational and very intelligent person.

Like Bugs Bunny once said; "Oh the silly sh*t I get myself into."

Archived