Making Butter For The First Time

Grow Thread

im sure i got it down, nothing to it right?

but im making butter for the first time in my life today.

yeah, its true..... :)

i make hash, not butter.

but times are different in michigan.

im gonna start with a couple cups of water and get that boiling.

then add 1.5 pounds of unsalted butter.

melt that, turn the heat down, and add 2.25 ounces of prime bud leaf from some bubbledick.

med_gallery_13801_60_2533291.jpg

water going................ gonna quick get it boiling, then medium heat, then add 1.5 pounds of butter. pics after that.

med_gallery_13801_60_185008.jpg

im sitting on the couch, trimming meds today, watching the steelers/browns.

hopefully i can make some butter along the way :)

As it is boiling along after a while the top will start to appear more greasy than watery.. that is when it is done i have been told..And then tomorrow when you seperate the water i would take the butter out and put it into boiling water again and maybe even twice.. without adding more herb. That in effect washes the butter and it tastes better..

I have not made any but I read somewhere that soaking the cannabis in water over a couple of days changing every few hours will leach some of the chlorophyll out making the butter taste better. I hope to have enough to do this with myself in a few months. Making it into no bake cookies seems the right path to me.

As it is boiling along after a while the top will start to appear more greasy than watery.. that is when it is done i have been told..And then tomorrow when you seperate the water i would take the butter out and put it into boiling water again and maybe even twice.. without adding more herb. That in effect washes the butter and it tastes better..

right on. i hear it gets to that point after about 3 hours?

anyways, water boiling:

med_gallery_13801_60_988504.jpg

butter ready:

med_gallery_13801_60_1313674.jpg

butter added. heat turned down to 6 on my range top.

med_gallery_13801_60_712502.jpg

lol, nope, no birds :)

never heard that one before :)

Out of concern for you and your patients:

According to the New York Times, the EPA and DuPont reached a $16.5 million settlement in December 2005 over DuPont's failure to report health risks associated with perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a chemical used in creating Teflon. And in January 2006, the EPA announced an agreement with eight companies to eliminate PFOA from consumer products by 2015. DuPont is one of the companies involved in the agreement. In that same article, the New York Times reports the EPA's scientific review panel advised that PFOA should be listed as a "likely" carcinogen, because it is known to cause cancer in animals. The evidence that it causes cancer in humans is not conclusive.

Read more: What Are the Dangers of Scratched Teflon Cookware? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/...l#ixzz12eF9RaPQ

so, i have found the trick is with making butter that you cannot let it freeze too hard. you are right that boiling for about 3 hours is about right. after it boils, let is cool JUST A BIT (maybe 10 min?) then strain it into the bowl. if you plan on using some of the butter for more savory dishes, like a cream sauce in a pasta, then leaving some herb in there is a good thing IMO. for brownies, and other sweets, it is not so good, again IMHO. anyway, after sufficiently strained, put the liquid in the freezer for two-three hours. but keep checking it to see how well-separated it is. you want the water to start to solidify, but you do not want it to completely solidify. If the water does completely solidify it becomes horrific to try to separate from the butter.

so, i have found the trick is with making butter that you cannot let it freeze too hard. you are right that boiling for about 3 hours is about right. after it boils, let is cool JUST A BIT (maybe 10 min?) then strain it into the bowl. if you plan on using some of the butter for more savory dishes, like a cream sauce in a pasta, then leaving some herb in there is a good thing IMO. for brownies, and other sweets, it is not so good, again IMHO. anyway, after sufficiently strained, put the liquid in the freezer for two-three hours. but keep checking it to see how well-separated it is. you want the water to start to solidify, but you do not want it to completely solidify. If the water does completely solidify it becomes horrific to try to separate from the butter.

i was just going to let it cool for about 20 mins, strain it, and then put it in the fridge until tomorrow morning?

Guest thequietone

The easiest way to make butter is to use a crockpot IMO. One cup water, pound and half unsalted butter and I use one oz bud in mine. Put everything in the pot turn it on to low and let it set for eight hours. Strain and place in fridge overnight that is how I make mine. I use coffee filters to strain it and after filtering the butter I will pour a cup of boiling water through it to get the last of the butter.

BG I have a chocolate chocolate mint chip cookie recipe that is pretty good and you won't taste the cannabutter too much. I will find it and PM it to you if you would like.

And like the poster above mentioned it works best if you use a plastic bowl to cool it in because you can pour off the water easier.

No problem if you just use the fridge.. lol.. the next day the butter is hard and the water is liquid...

The easiest way to make butter is to use a crockpot IMO. One cup water, pound and half unsalted butter and I use one oz bud in mine. Put everything in the pot turn it on to low and let it set for eight hours. Strain and place in fridge overnight that is how I make mine. I use coffee filters to strain it and after filtering the butter I will pour a cup of boiling water through it to get the last of the butter.

BG I have a chocolate chocolate mint chip cookie recipe that is pretty good and you won't taste the cannabutter too much. I will find it and PM it to you if you would like.

And like the poster above mentioned it works best if you use a plastic bowl to cool it in because you can pour off the water easier.

i too am interested in your mint choc chip cookie recipe if its not too much trouble....

i dont know u but if u would perhaps send it to me i would be greatful..

Lots of good advice here! When I made my first batch a few weeks ago, I used just one stick of butter and a 1/4 oz of nice lower buds. I havent used much of it, but it goes great on crackers with smoked kippers and cheeze!HAHAHA!!

It may help you get a bit more thc by grinding fine in a coffee grinder before the process. I did.

Yes, Let it cool in a plastic container in the fridge overnite. I used a square dish and then poked two holes through the butter to where the water cavity is on the bottom. Pour off the water and flex the dish upside down over a paper towel and blot dry. Use a piece of selofane to handle quickly and pack into a smaller container for long term storage. I got these ideas from rollitup.org. Goodluck BG and I look forwrd to an update as to how it turned out and the steps you took to finish it off and how well the affects work to "allieviate symptoms of your qualifying condition"!

i think i am going to use the slow cooker method next time. less participation on my part required :)

and i licked my fingers after sqeezing the cheesecloth..... yeah, wont be doing that again. yuck :)

i did switch from the ceramic bowl to a tupperware bowl before i strained though.

this is right after straining and before going into the fridge.

med_gallery_13801_60_1708602.jpg

and after about 5-6 hours in the fridge. its pretty solid, but i will wait until morning before draining off the water.

i think i will start my day off with 1.5 teaspoons of butter with some sugar and cinnamon on toast tomorrow :)

med_gallery_13801_60_1453998.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_238690.jpg

i think i am going to use the slow cooker method next time. less participation on my part required :)

and i licked my fingers after sqeezing the cheesecloth..... yeah, wont be doing that again. yuck :)

i did switch from the ceramic bowl to a tupperware bowl before i strained though.

this is right after straining and before going into the fridge.

med_gallery_13801_60_1708602.jpg

and after about 5-6 hours in the fridge. its pretty solid, but i will wait until morning before draining off the water.

i think i will start my day off with 1.5 teaspoons of butter with some sugar and cinnamon on toast tomorrow :)

med_gallery_13801_60_1453998.jpg

med_gallery_13801_60_238690.jpg

I licked my spoon alot and ended up with numb lips the first time i made it.. :-) The middle section that is above the water but below the butter will wash off with one more boil of that in clean water.. It tastes alot better and is alot more enjoyable if you ask me..

Archived