Thc Versus Cbd?

hshlvr

There was an excellent article in Science News a few months ago:

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature/id/59872/title/Not_just_a_high

...in which it is stated that the other main component of Cannibis, cannabidiol, or CBD, has anti-infammitory properties. But because It mitigates the THC effect....

"... CBD has paid a price for this anti-upper effect. “CBD has essentially been bred out of North American black market drug strains,” Russo says. People growing cannabis for its recreational qualities have preferred plants high in THC, so people lighting up for medical purposes, whether to boost appetite in AIDS patients or alleviate cancer pain, may be missing a valuable cannabis component."

Anyone have any knowledge about this and about which strains might have more CBD?

Thanks

This is a little off topic but does apply.

After making water hash I use the resulting leaf to make simpson oil.

The thc has been mostly extracted already so the resulting oil is high cbd compared to normal oil, so my theory goes.

This started when a patient expressed her desire to medicate without buzz, she beat breast cancer using this oil during chemo.

It is not completley without psycoactive effects but they are minimal.

Just trying to think out of the box to help fill a need, hope this helps.

R

Didn't see Turpines mentioned (or I missed it), many turpine combinations contribute to a strains' effectiveness for certain body systems. Most are overlooked as concentration is on the THC/CBD ratios.

1T

THC, CBD, CNDs...they are all basicly oils ot terpens/terpines and there are at least 100 that have been Identified and even more componets that are still unstudied.

Trying a line like the "catatonic" lookin for a terpine producer is a huge undergoing, it has more than 14 phenos...in fact you would be lucky to see the same plant twice. its a very unstabel line and I would not recomend it to anyone.

heres a kush that was bred for CBD/THC and it is just starting to show the oily wet look that tells the tale. I have bred a couple others that have a good CBD effect and still maintain a pleasant flavor and good THC content..

post-14822-0-01798900-1326225649_thumb.jpg

I am supposed to get a clone of a Jamaican Redbud that was tested by Herbal Elements as being 6.2 thc 6.9 cbd. I have been smoking it and it has too much of the high usually associated with mj. It also tends to surpress the affects of high thc mmj for quite a while.

I do have the Blue cough that PB has mentioned. He told me that it had roughly a 50/50 ratio of thc/cbd. Unfortunalty when I asked him where it was tested he wrote that he "forgot, maybe Cannalytics" This is supposedly the plant grown from the one seed he found on his high cbd mmj that he acquired. Certainly oil made from that material was very very interesting Herbal Elements had it tested and you can see it at their website.

I could not find it among the samples that PB had done at that lab. So I cannot confirm its contents. I will soon flower it since it has been cloned so I cannot tell you what its like.

A Tip: You might search the posts of peanutbutter (a member on here). Within the last 6 months he cited a strain that has tested 15% CBD. i paid no attention--down here in Detroit everyone is competing with the street dealers, so cbd? ('Your jokin me, man'). Falls to earth quicker than full baby diapers.

How the plant looks does not indicate cbd content. Strain does not indicate cbd content, perhaps potential. If it is not tested you do not know. Most kushs test as high thc low cbd look at testing results at labs and come to your own conclusion.

Since PB cannot tell me which lab tested the Blue cough derived from that single seed I cannot assume it really is high cbd. Sorry but without verification I got nada.

The THC / CBD ratio will very from seed to seed for any strain. The grow environment can even influence the THC / CBD ratio of clones of the same plant.

Generally speaking ... A THC:CBD ratio of 1:1 or higher on the CBD side will get you medicinal benefits without much of a "high". A THC:CBD ratio of 2:1 (10% THC, 5% CBD) produce that indica couch-lock "high". Stains with no CBD and high THC produce a sativa mind soaring "high". Adding high THC BHO to some high CBD buds can produce what I call a super-couch-lock "high".

If you breed / grow then look for plants that look and smell good but don't actually produce much of a "high" ... have it tested because it maybe a high CBD plant.

I've personally bred and tested several. The High Times Detroit cup had one from G.L.C.C.C. Catatonic X I believe, which isn't surprising, they had asked for some clones of one of mine and I never got around to getting it to them(My bad fellas). However there was good reports from patients suffering spasticity/seizures.

Great for a limited number of patients, not so good for the many.

Interesting things seen with different ratios. The ratios I've seen are (CBD/THC) 1/1, 2/1, 3/1, and 13/1. As the ratio of CBD/THC increases in CBD, THC also decreases, leading it self to be "no-high" at 3/1 or higher. Also the overall total CBD/THC content would remain the same; ie. 1/1 7%CBD/7%THC 14% total, 2/1 9%CBD/5%THC 14% total, 3/1 11%CBD/3%THC 14% total, 13/1 13%CBD/1%THC 14% total (Numbers rounded for easy comparison, results were from GC operated by my self). I have yet to see a strain that produces more THC with what is considered "cbd rich" (3% or more) content. I've seen 19%thc 1%cbd, but never 10%thc and 5%cbd, I'd like to get my hands on that, as most "indicas" I've seen tested have minuscule amounts of CBD.

I currently see 1/1 as the most medically and economically viable type to produce. With a smaller window as the gap between CBD and THC widens.

However, the environmental factors never changed the ratio, they could change the total amount of THC/CBD (IE 12% instead of 14% total), but the ratios stayed the same.

Also some patients report that it inhibits their ability to get "high" from other strains. I personally have the opposite effect. Meaning it will drop my tolerance from other strains/hash/oil etc. One of the reasons we still have a couple new ones floating around after the many dead ends on the other breeding aspects besides CBD, taste, smell, structure, etc. is to keep our tolerance down.

Happy growing!

I started reading this..there was to many "informative" posts for me at this time..maybe i will reread at a later time...main point is, at this time most strains are high in thc..in a a good ten years there will plenty of high cbd/cbn stains.Thc does have its advantages..so all in all..we will end up with the best of both worlds..prohibition has been a blessing for cannabis as a plant and medicinal alternative..maybe not so much for the pioneers of bud.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived