Read This Story In The Lansing Newspaper

Show your disgust for this rescue mission director.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20101105/NEWS01/311050027/City-Rescue-Mission-concerned-about-proximity-to-marijuana-business

City Rescue Mission concerned about

proximity to marijuana business

LANSING -- Mark Criss has issues with his next-door neighbor, a medical marijuana dispensary.

The executive director of the City Rescue Mission, 607 E. Michigan Ave., said more than a hundred men and children visit the mission every day and several of them are recovering drug addicts.

He’d like some local legislation that requires 1,000 feet between medical marijuana dispensaries like his neighbor, the Kushion, and substance abuse programs.

“We have many men and women trying to change their lives,” he said. “You’d be shocked at the type of people who are coming through there. It’s not what people imagined. They profess to be ill but they look and act perfectly healthy.

“I wish the city would take a stronger position on the commercial dispensaries.”

Lansing has a zoning ordinance for primary caregivers administering medical marijuana as a home occupation. The regulation mandates 1,000 feet between their addresses and substance abuse programs and other institutions.

There’s no such legislation for commercial districts yet, city officials confirmed.

Stuart Dunnings III, Ingham County’s prosecutor, said he is now researching the potential for a future ordinance that cities and townships could use to manage the local administration of medical marijuana. He declined to comment further.

Meanwhile, the Kushion is becoming more established in the 600 block of Michigan Avenue, where there is a medical marijuana clinic.

“We don’t sell illegal drugs,” said Dennis Betts, the Kushion’s director. “We don’t bother them. We don’t encourage them at all to let their people come down here. He doesn’t have any legitimate complaints.”

Read Saturday's Lansing State Journal for more on this story.

Mod Posted Story

Personally i think it was disrespectful

of the owner of the The Kushion Community Center

to open it right next to Lansing City Rescue Mission ,

where their trying to help men and children.

Especially if several of them are recovering drug addicts.

I can understand and have compassion for what

Lansing City Rescue Mission is saying ...

Surely this does'nt leave a good image to the

Medical Marijuana Program as a whole ...

They profess to be ill but they look and act perfectly healthy.

The Mission would be smart to put up several

surveillance cameras up .... :thumbsu:

I read this and I am disgusted...... with the dispensary. This is the kind of jerk that hurts the cause. He opens up next to a mission? What a moron.

We should all be protesting this dispensary.

Leave a comment letting people know that we do not support a disrespectful mmj biz like this.

Screw that guy.

Really?

Are you f-ing kidding me?

Is it also disrespectful to open a donut shop next to a weight watchers?

The owner is running the business legally, right? Well, at least in theory. It's medical marijuana, right? So what if a homeless guy had a card and needed some med mj? Could he go in there or is he then being disrespectful to the mission as well?

Give me a break. I love how you all harp on the gov't trying to legislate morality but you want to apply your own idea of morality on a business. That's sick.

Maybe he should take his business a block away AND put out warning signs on the sidewalk so people who may have addiction issues can be forewarned before walking by the evil, silver-tongued, dispensary.

After posting that last comment, I reminded myself of a comment I made about not judging one another. And after my reflection……

I still say screw that guy. Disrespect kills.

I mean….. did the landlord who owns the strip think it was a good idea to rent to both tenants simultaneously? Is rental space in the area tough to find?

The crusaders will be using this, I assure you .

Really?

Are you f-ing kidding me?

Is it also disrespectful to open a donut shop next to a weight watchers?

The owner is running the business legally, right? Well, at least in theory. It's medical marijuana, right? So what if a homeless guy had a card and needed some med mj? Could he go in there or is he then being disrespectful to the mission as well?

Give me a break. I love how you all harp on the gov't trying to legislate morality but you want to apply your own idea of morality on a business. That's sick.

Maybe he should take his business a block away AND put out warning signs on the sidewalk so people who may have addiction issues can be forewarned before walking by the evil, silver-tongued, dispensary.

I understand your point.

It is hypocritical for me to demand freedom yet become offended at someone exercising theirs.

Here is thing about exercising freedom, it is all fun and games until that exercise imposes upon someone else’s freedom. That’s the way the founders laid it out. Opening next to a rehab clinic seems to directly impose upon the clinic.

I have wrestled with what you are saying on the judgement front.

After all, who am I to decide the will of the people anymore than the crusaders who claim the public has been tricked by a ballot amendment brought from out of state?

You see, politics are going to be a big part of this moving forward. Because of this we have to make an attempt to decide what will offend a large portion of the public and what won’t.

To make no judgment on right and wrong whatsoever is the same as having no judgment. The location of this biz shows poor judgment at best.

I do think it could've been in a diff. location , but it is a commercial district. If you move now what's next bars ,pharmacies,stores that sell beer,& whiskey?

They kept moving the native americans and look what they have now. Either party could move and save tax money. Not to mention another law in the books that limits american freedom.

i hear ya about being rite next door, but i realy dont think they should have any more ordinances agains dispenses. than they do lets say for a drug store/liquir store! bar, school, church etc,

I have been disabled for 12 yrs, what am I supposed to look like?

and lets remember in the near future when we have an auto dealership that only sells electric cars! we cant let gas stations go up next door the them! no liqiuor stores near car dealer ships and no gas stations can sell beer or liqiuor any longer!

Peace

FTW

Jim

You're talking about a place that decided to open next door to a bar. Near a couple of other bars.

One of the nearby bars closed and then opened again with a new name. They never complained about that bar either.

Gotta agree with P.B. on this one. The Mission opened it's doors just down the street from one of the biggest drug dealing dispensaries in the city, a bar. Now they want to complain because a dispenser of medicine has opened nextdoor? They are hypocrites in that case. Would they be as vocal if it were a RiteAid or Walgreens? I think not, and those drug dispensaries actually sell drugs that are harmful to everyone's health...Peace...j.b.

PB, I'll be your J on this one. Alcohol retailers are merchants of death and societal woe. The pot store could be considered a good thing in comparison. A role model, if you like. LOL.

Hey JB, just noticed the Rainbow Farm link. I do remember. I grew up just miles away and by my all other qualified accounts, Tom and Rollie were good men in a shatty world.

You're talking about a place that decided to open next door to a bar. Near a couple of other bars.

One of the nearby bars closed and then opened again with a new name. They never complained about that bar either.

Actually the rescue mission was there long before the bars if I recall correctly. It was there when that part of town was an absolute sh!thole That was a long time ago. The neighboring buildings were all vacant as far as I can remember. Then in the early 90's the baseball park was built and that started bringing a ton of people to that part of town. Then the night-life sprung up. That's when all of the bars opened up. The area became very much revitalized after the park was built. Now there are new townhouses and all sorts of small businesses built within a couple of blocks.

With that said I agree with your general point. It is a commerical area and actually I think there was a bar (Stobers?) within the block or at least very near.

When the park was built there was a push to try and get the rescue mission to move because people were "afraid" of its patrons. The mission, as it should have, put up a big stink. I don't remember exactly what happened but I think they were going to lose their lease if I recall correctly. The point is that they are still there. Now they want to complain about THEIR neighbor and its clientele. Give me a break.

To the person who called the mission a rehab clinic, really? To my knowledge the mission doesn't do anything like that. They provide a place to sleep and food as long as the consumers of their services subject themselves to sermons or something. If that's a rehab clinic then you use the term very loosely.

Sparrow hospital is near there too. I would bet Sparrow treats meth addicts. Maybe Sparrow should argue that its own pharmacy or the rite aid across the street shouldn't sell sudafed since meth addicts walk by on their way into the hospital.

To the person who raised the poltical objection--I agree, in a sense. MM is a hot political topic and portraying ourselves as violating others in some way will also affect public perception. However, we have bigger problems than this. When we hold rallys and some jackwad is jumping around in a marijuana leaf costume all that does is give the public the perception that all we want is a big party. It's like a sports team mascot--all fun and games. You want change? You want to make the people realize that this isn't all about partying? You know what you have to do then? Make the public see that you are just like them. Make the public see that you are working middle-class like most of Michigan. Show up to a rally dressed to impress and not in your marijuana t shirt. What's the first thing your lawyer will tell you in regard to dress in the courtroom? You want the jury to have a bad first impression? Would you show up to a jury trial with your free the weed shirt? NO. So why would you think that would be effective at a rally? Imagine what would happen if 200 people showed up in a jacket and tie on the steps of a city hall. I'll bet you that would make news far and wide. Dress nicely, cut your hair, shave, and put your "poster" people in the limelight. That is how to run an EFFECTIVE rally. THAT is how to change the political minds. Also, do something. Imagine if people would have actually rallied to help get signatures and got the recall of the Saginaw county sheriff on the ballot. Imagine the political scare that would be put into sheriffs everywhere if they knew that this organization was actually organized enough and could get things done. As it is, it amounts to a rally that is long-forgotten by the public and has little affect on anything. There was so little effort in actually making a change and that it is unbelievable. To say if we rally things will, or may, change is one thing. To really get things done is to take the bull by the horns to make change. If the MMMA would have spear-headed the petition drive and harped on people to help out then the signatures would have been collected. As it is some 23 year old kid started the drive and, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't live in Sag. County, nothing came of it.

You want change and you want to affect political outcomes? Go about it the right way. Why can't the MMMA hire a publicist and/or someone with leadership ability that could structure and organize things to get them done in such a way that will get things done right? We pay our dues for what again?

But I digress...

DenturesLost Good post makes a lot of sense. the mission has been there at least 30 yrs there was a old bar and a liquour store in the same block,now there are up scale bars. the MM stores i see around lansing are low key and not in peoples face.I agree that we need to show people that this is not a party and we have serious need for MM for our health. By the way i'd like to hear the story on your screen name. Peace

How rude... I'm gonna guess the mission does not allow alcoholics in their program... Since they don't seem to care about their clients having to pass a couple bars on the way to the mission. I'm going to guess that they don't have programs for eating problems either, since there are coffee and chocolate shops just steps away too.

And seriously, what sort of dispensary is it? If it's one with MM in the shop, I'm gonna bet they card at the door, and card heavily, and not distribute MM to anyone without a card... Like why should the mission worry? That their program will fail and some of their clients will break into the dispensary or bust in the front door and just go on a stealing rampage of the drugs? Because their clients are probably darn unlikely to get any meds from a dispensary without a patient card..

I can respect that the mission has been there longer... But if they didn't raise a stink when a bar moved in a couple doors down, and that is very much somewhere that their clients could easily fall off the wagon ... Then they shouldn't raise a stink about a dispensary either.

And hmmm, some tasty lil bits From an interview with Mark Criss In Feb 2010...

"We also have an addictions program that is Bible based. We are one of the only Bible based substance abuse programs licensed by the State of Michigan. We provide nouthetic (biblical) counseling to men and women that need to make a significant change in their life. We address addiction as it really is…as a sin issue."

"I would encourage church leaders and pastors to partner with Christian agencies in their area that “puts the Gospel first.” It is very easy to get sidetracked by worldly problems or “social justice” issues that never rise to the importance or the significance of the Gospel. There are many people that are in need out there…but their most important need is reconciliation to a holy God."

Just thought it interesting to see what his views are...

Anyone who is disgusted by a MM dispensary opening near a rehab clinic must believe that:

1. The dispensary would transfer to someone in the rehab program who isn't authorized to use MM;

2. Marijuana is a gateway drug;

3. Marijuana is physically addictive;

4. Marijuana has no medical value.

Come on people. Are you also suggesting that someone who is or was addicted to cocaine or meth or something should not be a MM patient? Do you believe that MM would be bad for a patient who has both MS and a meth addiction? Can an alcoholic person with glaucoma benefit from MM?

Should I as a CG screen patients for substance abuse problems? If a patient shows signs of a personality prone to addiction, should I tell them I won't help them any more? Should dispensaries require clients to submit to drug tests to confirm that the patient isn't addicted to soemthing else?

My memory, as far back as the early '70's there has been bars, including "gay" bars

and "strip" bars prevalent all along that 2 + block radius and nere a complaint

that I recall. Where the Lugnut's Stadium is now was well known for it's

"seediness". Oh, and let us not forget "Jan's Rooms" and what went/goes on there.

Maybe Kusions could contribute their donations to the Mission

as does Your Better Health Clinic across the street does, as I note that

there seems to be no complaint about them from the director of the mission.

The Mission does great good, yet this is pure hypocrisy imo.

There are some good arguments against my view here. This is a productive post, I think.

What about the neon marijuana leaf sign? Is that needed?

In California people got fed up with the dispensaries not because of crime, but because of blight created by neon signs and billboards. Business could be done without all that stuff.

Actually the rescue mission was there long before the bars if I recall correctly. It was there when that part of town was an absolute sh!thole That was a long time ago. The neighboring buildings were all vacant as far as I can remember. Then in the early 90's the baseball park was built and that started bringing a ton of people to that part of town. Then the night-life sprung up. That's when all of the bars opened up. The area became very much revitalized after the park was built. Now there are new townhouses and all sorts of small businesses built within a couple of blocks.

With that said I agree with your general point. It is a commerical area and actually I think there was a bar (Stobers?) within the block or at least very near.

When the park was built there was a push to try and get the rescue mission to move because people were "afraid" of its patrons. The mission, as it should have, put up a big stink. I don't remember exactly what happened but I think they were going to lose their lease if I recall correctly. The point is that they are still there. Now they want to complain about THEIR neighbor and its clientele. Give me a break.

To the person who called the mission a rehab clinic, really? To my knowledge the mission doesn't do anything like that. They provide a place to sleep and food as long as the consumers of their services subject themselves to sermons or something. If that's a rehab clinic then you use the term very loosely.

Sparrow hospital is near there too. I would bet Sparrow treats meth addicts. Maybe Sparrow should argue that its own pharmacy or the rite aid across the street shouldn't sell sudafed since meth addicts walk by on their way into the hospital.

To the person who raised the poltical objection--I agree, in a sense. MM is a hot political topic and portraying ourselves as violating others in some way will also affect public perception. However, we have bigger problems than this. When we hold rallys and some jackwad is jumping around in a marijuana leaf costume all that does is give the public the perception that all we want is a big party. It's like a sports team mascot--all fun and games. You want change? You want to make the people realize that this isn't all about partying? You know what you have to do then? Make the public see that you are just like them. Make the public see that you are working middle-class like most of Michigan. Show up to a rally dressed to impress and not in your marijuana t shirt. What's the first thing your lawyer will tell you in regard to dress in the courtroom? You want the jury to have a bad first impression? Would you show up to a jury trial with your free the weed shirt? NO. So why would you think that would be effective at a rally? Imagine what would happen if 200 people showed up in a jacket and tie on the steps of a city hall. I'll bet you that would make news far and wide. Dress nicely, cut your hair, shave, and put your "poster" people in the limelight. That is how to run an EFFECTIVE rally. THAT is how to change the political minds. Also, do something. Imagine if people would have actually rallied to help get signatures and got the recall of the Saginaw county sheriff on the ballot. Imagine the political scare that would be put into sheriffs everywhere if they knew that this organization was actually organized enough and could get things done. As it is, it amounts to a rally that is long-forgotten by the public and has little affect on anything. There was so little effort in actually making a change and that it is unbelievable. To say if we rally things will, or may, change is one thing. To really get things done is to take the bull by the horns to make change. If the MMMA would have spear-headed the petition drive and harped on people to help out then the signatures would have been collected. As it is some 23 year old kid started the drive and, correct me if I'm wrong as I don't live in Sag. County, nothing came of it.

You want change and you want to affect political outcomes? Go about it the right way. Why can't the MMMA hire a publicist and/or someone with leadership ability that could structure and organize things to get them done in such a way that will get things done right? We pay our dues for what again?

But I digress...

Ok, I change my mind. I unscrew this guy.

I though it was a rehab clinic. My mistake.

My problem is with his statement about the patients. They don't look sick. Well priest don't look like pedophiles. Not all gay people look gay. Just because they don't appear to be sick does not mean they aren't. If my wife were to walking in there they would say look she is fine. Maybe she was at that moment here is a MRI of her brain notice the half dollar size lesion on the base of her brain and all the others too. Did he know that the ms drugs they put her on gave her seizures? What does it mean to look sick so your not sick or in pain if you aren't in a wheelchair or look like a meth addict! Sorry but he is not correct and I have no use for anyone using that excuse.

Archived