Michigan Legislature Should Fix Medical Marijuana Law Before End Of Year

Croppled1

Editorial: Michigan Legislature should fix medical marijuana law before end of year

Published: Friday, November 19, 2010

The accomplishments of the current state Legislature, in general, have been few this past year.

Balancing a budget with a structural deficit by using last-minute, stop-gap measures knowing a new deficit faces the next Legislature doesn't count. In fact, it should take points away from any positive actions the current body has performed.

But with the election over, the lame-duck Legislature doesn't have to just limp away from Lansing. It could actually take some productive actions that may or may not help the next Legislature, but certainly would benefit the people of Michigan, who seem to be forgotten too often in Lansing.

One such move, for example, is straightening out the mess created by the new medical marijuana law.

Local governments and law enforcement agencies need direction from the state on everything from the regulation of medical marijuana dispensaries to how to properly identify those who can use the substance and those who can't.

Legislators admit that while the law was approved by 63 percent of the voters, it is very broad and lacks specifics on implementing the regulation.

As a result, there is a conflict between state and federal enforcement and confusion, as well as controversy, when local police agencies try to do their duty and enforce the laws.

The Aug. 25 drug raids, when 16 Oakland County people were arrested by a narcotics enforcement team, is a perfect example of the debate and seriousness of the situation. The arrested people said they were following the letter of the law. Law enforcement officials said there were complaints about the dispensaries and that people were selling marijuana to customers who were not patients and so couldn't legally have it.

While legislators concede that clearer regulations are needed, they don't seem to be too hard pressed to act. Many are talking about putting it on the agenda of the next Legislature in 2011.

But why wait? The problem is not going to go away, probably only worsen.

Local community leaders are literally at wits end. They're not sure what to do and with no direction from the state, most municipalities have just instituted moratoriums until they can study and, hopefully, reach some solution on dispensaries in their communities.

As usual, the state seems to be abdicating its responsibilities, hoping the problem will go away or that local areas will find their own solutions.

That's not going to work. For the sake of consistency and fairness, state regulations are needed.

Our legislators are still getting paid. It would be nice to see them end their lackluster session on a positive note during a time when most of their activity has hardly been harmonious.

Clearer regulations are needed. That has been demonstrated. There may not be a lot that can be accomplished during this lame-duck session, but here is one thing that can.

Fix the problems associated regulating medical marijuana now. Don't leave them for the next Legislature - it will have enough to do.

Such an accomplishment would look good on any legislator's resume, particularly a term-limited one who probably is going to eventually look for another elected public job.

--Courtesy of The Oakland Press

http://heritage.com/articles/2010/11/19/opinion/doc4ce6a264a3f8b153024373.txt?viewmode=fullstory

OMG. At wit's end. That explains why I see people jumping from the city hall and county building windows.

Just another example of the media's insistence that things are reallllly baaaaad, and that the law is soooo full of gray areas. Will someone please point them out? All provisions can be readily explained in terms a fifth grader can understand. The MSP has issued clear instructions to its people. Maybe Schuette, who will replace Cox as AG, will do the job Cox didn't, and issue the same for all local enforcement units. But I wouldn't bet on it.

We do not need the legislature mucking things up.

Dear Robert: I understand your frustration and anger over the events in Oakland County relating to medical marijuana clinics. Problems similar to this have been occurring all across the state and in our courts as the new law is being implemented. As a result, I am currently serving on a Medical Marijuana Task Force appointed by House Speaker Andy Dillon to look at amending the act to make it more clear and to avoid any issues like those that are occurring around the state currently. We hope to have recommendations made for amending the statutes before the end of this year. Thank you again for contacting me.

i think they are working on it

Before I only posted the video, I actually tried, a number of times, to post my honest observations and true feelings about the yellow context of the Heritage propaganda piece, but my PC "locked-up" each time.

Kind of flattering to think that someone would care to pay attention to what we have to share, wouldn't you say?

Perhaps, I'll try to express my concerns again later on, when the expression-police aren't paying so much attention.

Good post, by the way.

FREE The CURE

OMG. At wit's end. That explains why I see people jumping from the city hall and county building windows.

Just another example of the media's insistence that things are reallllly baaaaad, and that the law is soooo full of gray areas. Will someone please point them out? All provisions can be readily explained in terms a fifth grader can understand. The MSP has issued clear instructions to its people. Maybe Schuette, who will replace Cox as AG, will do the job Cox didn't, and issue the same for all local enforcement units. But I wouldn't bet on it.

We do not need the legislature mucking things up.

How 'bout this, for starters?:

Permit registered and unregistered patients and primary caregivers to assert medical reasons for using marijuana as a defense to any prosecution involving marijuana.

Should this proposal be adopted?

Yes

Now, how "Black & White" can ANY LAW get?!

Apparently, as even the blind would surely be able to see, the hypocritical "editor" of Heritage News sees only "gray" when the "plain and simple" "language and intent" of "The PEOPLE" stares him/her in the tunnel-visioned, yellow-face.

FREE The HEALING

Archived