20 Days From Check Cashing?

a lot of cc have open meetings for the general public to attend, and most of them also have a membership and closed meetings,

you will need the proof of cashing for closed meetings..what area are you in? lots of good people around here can help point you to a meeting.and answer questions about their club. hope this helps, good luck my friend

Thats pretty disapointing I'm not gonna be able to go to the closed meetings, it's gonna be a long 6 months. I'm from the Mt.pleasant area, and that would be cool if you/anyone could give me some meeting info in the area. thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, here we go again with this debate over when a patient becomes legal. Here's my deal. I sent in paperwork via registered mail so I could have a receipt on November 16. I was told that the receipt is what is the most important piece (of course with the paperwork). They received my application on November 17th and cashed my check on November 19th. When I was ready to send in the paperwork, after I met with my caregiver, I was told that it was the cashed check that was important. So, I will ask my bank for a copy of the check and keep it with my paperwork too and I will send a copies to my caregiver (copy of reg. receipt AND cashed check). I don't plan to see my card until at least January or even further out. So, from what I get out of all of this, I'm covered, I have both receipts in hand now? Correct?

I just don't understand why I would have to wait 20 days after the check is cashed if they MDCH isn't sending out cards until months (120 days or better). So why do I care about 20 days after the check is cashed or for that matter, why would anyone care that it was 20 days passed the check cashing, it isn't like they can go back and say oops, we didn't mean to cash that check because this person is denied. If they were going to deny my application, they wouldn't have cashed my check? right? or am I wrong on that?

I don't know the procedure at the State level. I envision the following happening at the state level:

1) a person opens the envelope,

2) person glances down a checklist next to them to see if I have submitted all the paperwork necessary with the application

If I didn't have all paperwork, all of my paperwork would be put in a denial pile, along with my check

3) Then glance at the doctor on my paperwork, entering that doctor's # to see if they are a valid doctor,

If I didn't have a qualifying doctor, all of my paperwork would be put in a denial pile, along with my check

4) Once paperwork has been validated, the person removes the staple from my check on the front page of the paperwork

5) My check goes in one pile for cashing, then the application is all stapled together and put in another pile for card processing

6) On to the next envelope....same procedure

Some say that this process is quite clear, while others are CYA's at every turn. I rather be covered myself, but that's just me. I guess I'm seeking reassurance that I am considered legal now that paperwork and check have been received, I have proof. I also have proof that they cashed my check. I have my paperwork I sent in as proof too. So with those 3 pieces, I'm legal. That's all I'm asking. I really don't need any rude comments or someone making me feeling like I'm some stupidazz either. As a patient new to all this, I just want a little clarity, IF that is possible! LOL

Thank you for your patience with me. Like I said, I know that this is a beat to death subject and all, but I'm just trying to reassure myself I'm all set and there isn't some other hoop I have to jump through next.

postal money orders are different,(no online tracking, nothing,you have to pay a fee and wait seven days, it's all about money!) it would be nice if they had the same standards as western union or a money order from a bank. i had to go through all the B.S and will never use a postal money order again!

if you havent recieved your denial letter and its been over 20 days, your legal but dont act like it,,keep under the radar....1 just because you have paperwork dont mean you wont still have to go to court to prove you didnt recieve a denial letter, so the best advise i can give you is remain underground till you have plastic in hand!

Advise from experience, 3 possesion charges 2 with paperwork, i had to go to court, 1 had card, dropped imediatly!

so just kick back dont let every one know your a patient and wait for the card!

Peace

FTW

Jim

I sent a postal money order for renewel! and I dont realy care to check and see if its been cashed, i didnt get a deial letter!

Alright, here we go again with this debate over when a patient becomes legal. Here's my deal. I sent in paperwork via registered mail so I could have a receipt on November 16. I was told that the receipt is what is the most important piece (of course with the paperwork). They received my application on November 17th and cashed my check on November 19th. When I was ready to send in the paperwork, after I met with my caregiver, I was told that it was the cashed check that was important. So, I will ask my bank for a copy of the check and keep it with my paperwork too and I will send a copies to my caregiver (copy of reg. receipt AND cashed check). I don't plan to see my card until at least January or even further out. So, from what I get out of all of this, I'm covered, I have both receipts in hand now? Correct?

I just don't understand why I would have to wait 20 days after the check is cashed if they MDCH isn't sending out cards until months (120 days or better). So why do I care about 20 days after the check is cashed or for that matter, why would anyone care that it was 20 days passed the check cashing, it isn't like they can go back and say oops, we didn't mean to cash that check because this person is denied. If they were going to deny my application, they wouldn't have cashed my check? right? or am I wrong on that?

I don't know the procedure at the State level. I envision the following happening at the state level:

1) a person opens the envelope,

2) person glances down a checklist next to them to see if I have submitted all the paperwork necessary with the application

If I didn't have all paperwork, all of my paperwork would be put in a denial pile, along with my check

3) Then glance at the doctor on my paperwork, entering that doctor's # to see if they are a valid doctor,

If I didn't have a qualifying doctor, all of my paperwork would be put in a denial pile, along with my check

4) Once paperwork has been validated, the person removes the staple from my check on the front page of the paperwork

5) My check goes in one pile for cashing, then the application is all stapled together and put in another pile for card processing

6) On to the next envelope....same procedure

Some say that this process is quite clear, while others are CYA's at every turn. I rather be covered myself, but that's just me. I guess I'm seeking reassurance that I am considered legal now that paperwork and check have been received, I have proof. I also have proof that they cashed my check. I have my paperwork I sent in as proof too. So with those 3 pieces, I'm legal. That's all I'm asking. I really don't need any rude comments or someone making me feeling like I'm some stupidazz either. As a patient new to all this, I just want a little clarity, IF that is possible! LOL

Thank you for your patience with me. Like I said, I know that this is a beat to death subject and all, but I'm just trying to reassure myself I'm all set and there isn't some other hoop I have to jump through next.

only prob with your thinking is! They will cash your check whethe you are approved or not!!

Food for thought!

Peace

FTW

Jim

THanks Jim. Like I said CYA all over the place.

Here's some more perplexing thoughts. So what if I wait 20 days after the check cashing then? Technically speaking, the only way anyone could/would consider me legal is if I had that card in hand which takes months to get. So why talk of waiting 20 days after the check is cashed to be considered legal if they cash it whether they approve or deny the application?? Why talk aobout having any receipts for that matter, or even the very paperwork sent in?

If I'm reading what you're written correctly, the only real piece of legal evidence is the card. Am I right?

Oh yeah, does anyone know whether or not the state sends your check or their check if they deny the application? Curious, thanks.

Dj

Guest Happy Guy

The card protects you from arrest. The paperwork does not BUT it will help you immensely in court if you get caught and don't have a card. The paperwork is just about your only medical marijuana defense. It would be a hail mary play to even try a defense with nothing at all. The paperwork, specifically the doctor's rec., will lend you a lot of credibility that you were legal when caught.

If you are denied they still keep the money but they do give you more chances to get it right if it was just a mistake on the forms.

if you havent recieved your denial letter and its been over 20 days, your legal but dont act like it,,keep under the radar....1 just because you have paperwork dont mean you wont still have to go to court to prove you didnt recieve a denial letter, so the best advise i can give you is remain underground till you have plastic in hand!

Advise from experience, 3 possesion charges 2 with paperwork, i had to go to court, 1 had card, dropped imediatly!

so just kick back dont let every one know your a patient and wait for the card!

Peace

FTW

Jim

I sent a postal money order for renewel! and I dont realy care to check and see if its been cashed, i didnt get a deial letter!

i strongly agree with you!

and hope to see my card in the next few days, happy thanksgiving to you and your family Jim.

THANK YOU Happy Guy!!!

Some days I'm terrible at framing my question enough that someone understands, it only took me a couple tries - I feel great! LOL

My oncologist at the Cancer Center here signed my paperwork...so that's well covered.

I've got a copy of all my paperwork, receipts, cashed check etc...so that's well covered.

Now, I just need that almighty card in hand to be protected, in the mean time, I'll just continue on like I have since the onset of cancer in 2008, but with paperwork at my side now.

Gotcha on the check cashing part. But, what bothers me is that I've read all over this site that one needs to wait 20 days after the check is cashed to be legal, it's really not a wise thing to count on either. Because if they don't look at your application for MONTHS after the 20 days, and they deem it denied after that 20 days, then you aren't legal either. What a way to keep things clear eh? LOL

I'm new, please forgive me.

The card protects you from arrest. The paperwork does not BUT it will help you immensely in court if you get caught and don't have a card. The paperwork is just about your only medical marijuana defense. It would be a hail mary play to even try a defense with nothing at all. The paperwork, specifically the doctor's rec., will lend you a lot of credibility that you were legal when caught.

If you are denied they still keep the money but they do give you more chances to get it right if it was just a mistake on the forms.

:goodjob::thumbsu:

Here is what the law says about 20 day old paperwork

section 9 (b) If the department fails to issue a valid registry identification card in response to a valid application or renewal submitted pursuant to this act within 20 days of its submission, the registry identification card shall be deemed granted, and a copy of the registry identification application or renewal shall be deemed a valid registry identification card.

See .. the paperwork IS the ID card until the plastic arrives.

guess what I'm wondering is if there is anyone who works or know first hand what info they check to get into a compassion club and p.s. it's still me had problems getting into my other account and for some reason had 2? so I guess I'll be using this one til I can figure it out-thanks

Yes. Compassion clubs and dispensaries accept 21 day old paperwork. Almost all count from the day the check is cashed.

Hey guys,

Pleasure to be a new member. I'm obtaining my doctor's recommendation later today, and if all goes according to plan, I'll have my paperwork in the mail by 5PM. It seems like most of you used a money order rather than writing a check and attaching to the application. Which do you feel is better? I guess I mean more efficient by better. Also, this green proof of receipt, what exactly is this, and is this mailed to you at a particular point in the processing...process? From what I've gathered, some form of proof that the MDCH received your application can be used in lieu of a card.

Cheers

Hey guys,

Pleasure to be a new member. I'm obtaining my doctor's recommendation later today, and if all goes according to plan, I'll have my paperwork in the mail by 5PM. It seems like most of you used a money order rather than writing a check and attaching to the application. Which do you feel is better? I guess I mean more efficient by better. Also, this green proof of receipt, what exactly is this, and is this mailed to you at a particular point in the processing...process? From what I've gathered, some form of proof that the MDCH received your application can be used in lieu of a card.

Cheers

DO NOT USE A MONEY ORDER. A money order is second only to cash as the worst method of paying.

Use a personal check if there is any way that you can.

The green thing is the return that you are sent when someone signs for your letter. It proves that you sent them a letter. That's all.

When you have a copy of the canceled check, it proves that you sent them something that included a check. Green paper only shows they received an envelope.

DO NOT USE A MONEY ORDER. A money order is second only to cash as the worst method of paying.

Use a personal check if there is any way that you can.

The green thing is the return that you are sent when someone signs for your letter. It proves that you sent them a letter. That's all.

When you have a copy of the canceled check, it proves that you sent them something that included a check. Green paper only shows they received an envelope.

Another option is to ask the post office for "proof of mailing." This is a document you get when the letter is sent out. It is frequently used to prove service to a party via first class mail.

Guest Happy Guy

Again .. could have been an empty envelope.

When are you going to realize it's not a game and we need to keep patients safe? Certified mail is the most safe avenue but you wish to keep mudding the water about it. Do you think it is funny or are you trying to make friends? You sure aren't providing a service or helping anyone with comments like this one.

When are you going to realize it's not a game and we need to keep patients safe? Certified mail is the most safe avenue but you wish to keep mudding the water about it. Do you think it is funny or are you trying to make friends? You sure aren't providing a service or helping anyone with comments like this one.

Certified mail kinds of stuff just shows that something was sent to them.

A copy of the cashed check shows there was something inside the envelope that you sent to them.

There is no way to prove what a check was cashed for either.

A check isn't any better than an empty envelope.

I can send a Change Form in to sign up my new patient, "Ann Landers" and write "Change Form - Peanutbutter" in the memo section and attach that to a forged Change Form and pretend I'm PB's new CG. - Clever huh? Or leave the memo section blank and use a copy of the canceled check to forge whatever Change Form I might wish to forge.

The real issue though - chances are, if a copy of my package sent to MDCH falls into someone else’s hands, there was probably, if not certainly, foul play involved. Then my bank account number and routing number would be in the hands of a criminal - along with my driver's license copy, address, and my social security number, which is included on the application. Allowing all of that personal information to exist together in the same place is dangerous.

And if that criminal happened to be the Saginaw County Sheriff passing my information along to the DEA, now the feds have all they need to link my bank account to “criminal activity” and a pretty solid case to seize whatever funds are in my bank account without doing an asset search.

There is not a 100% foolproof way to show that your application was received by MDCH - and that the contents of the package sent are what you claim they are unless you hand deliver it and get a date stamped copy of the document from MDCH.

My personal view is that providing your bank account information in the same package with the rest of your critical information is not worth whatever additional proof of delivery you might get. You might disagree – cool. I think others should make an informed choice.

Guest Happy Guy

Send many empty envelopes? :blink: Have you been acused of sending empty envelopes?

Why would someone send MDCH an empty envelope when they have copies of all the filled out forms on them? Doesn't make much sense.

Mine have been costing extra postage. Would an empty envelope cost you extra postage? You are taking a ridiculous stance. I can't even imagine a judge taking such a ridiculous stance. LOL

Send many empty envelopes? :blink: Have you been acused of sending empty envelopes?

Why would someone send MDCH an empty envelope when they have copies of all the filled out forms on them? Doesn't make much sense.

Mine have been costing extra postage. Would an empty envelope cost you extra postage? You are taking a ridiculous stance. I can't even imagine a judge taking such a ridiculous stance. LOL

Thanks for all the confusion.

We have been telling people for a couple of years to send in a personal check. It's the easiest and least expensive way to get proof of application.

Suddenly suggestions that isn't enough pop up.

So the two year old system isn't good enough.

Make sure to tell everyone that is no longer good enough.

Archived