State Should Set Up Dispensary System...

OPPOSING POINTS OF VIEW

State should set up dispensary system

By Michael Komorn

Michael Komorn is a Southfield attorney and board member of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association.

Since Michigan’s Medical Marijuana Act was signed into law in April 2009, one question has stood out among registered patients interested in medical marijuana: Where do I start?

New patients may not know where and how to acquire medical marijuana, how to get started growing their own, how to find a caregiver or even the various methods of ingestion, of which smoking is rarely used for medicinal purposes.

Adding a dispensary-type model, layered on top of the existing Michigan Act, could put many of law enforcement’s concerns to rest.

From a legal standpoint, the Michigan act does not speak to dispensaries directly. It also does not specify how patients or caregivers may acquire or grow marijuana. Instead, it provides protection for those assisting patients and caregivers in obtaining cannabis. Such transactions provide immunity from arrest and prosecution and require charges to be dismissed if it can be established that a patient is sick and would benefit from medical marijuana.

This is how the Waterford and Ferndale facilities operated — under the protection of and in compliance with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Patients were required to show registration cards prior to being allowed entrance and limited to purchasing 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana, per Michigan law.

Other dispensaries statewide operate under similar parameters, many with the approval of local law enforcement and municipalities.

The model nationwide is also proven, showing its effectiveness in states like California, Rhode Island and Colorado, the latter of which heavily regulates medical marijuana seemingly with approval from the federal government. This year, Colorado has collected more than $2.2 million in sales tax from dispensaries.

In Michigan and the other states mentioned above, medical marijuana is legal. Regardless of federal statutes, registered patients in Michigan have a legal right to acquire, use and benefit from medical marijuana. Any argument to the contrary or citing of federal law as justification for arrests directly violates the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which states it is unconstitutional for a state to use its resources to enforce federal law.

Creating dispensaries in Michigan not only complies with the Michigan act, it creates an entirely new business opportunity for the state’s residents. From vacant real estate to establishing a new taxable entity, dispensaries make sense from a financial standpoint.

Enhancing patient and caregiver safety is another benefit of dispensaries, creating a secure facility where patients can be educated on what works best for their ailment, learn various ways of ingestion and not be forced to obtain their medicine in a back room or parking lot.

Opponents of dispensaries in this state seem to be opponents of medical marijuana in general. How else can one explain the lack of desire to provide safe access to reliable, consistent medication for patients? Or the mind-set to prevent an incredible business opportunity to flourish after more than 60% of voters approved the use of marijuana as medication?

State or local ordinances can define dispensaries, establishing a precedent in how they may be run, including the amount of usable marijuana on site, number of patients allowed in the facility at any one time, and security requirements.

The people of Michigan have spoken in favor of medical marijuana. It is time to further refine medical marijuana operations without changing the protections and intent of the original law.

We in the medical marijuana community continue to ask for a dialogue, including working for a consensus on dispensaries, and creating a system that benefits all, while keeping patients and caregivers safe. Let’s stop using law enforcement resources to arrest and prosecute patients and focus on establishing an expanded, safer distribution system

i agree the state needs to allow dispensaries, but i could see them trying to pull some crap like "ok you can have dispensaries, but you can't grow your own anymore as a result"

another downside is that dispensaries are EXTREMELY expensive as compared to most patient/caregiver relationships. dispensaries charge top-dollar street prices, OR MORE - while at the same time no patient would ever expect to pay 400/oz or 20/gram with their caregiver arrangement. i dont really see how dispensaries could compete with that.

No Thanks.....Lipstick on a Pig

we the people voted on the law as written

dispensaries are not protected...let them fight for their own rights to rip us off.

does the state care about your health? do the dispensary owners care about your health?

heck no they are motivated by profit

keep the state outta my personal life and away from my meds.

who would stand to gain?....NOT THE PATIENT

dispensary owners...rich and greedy...25/30 gr. even the term dispensary is void of compassion...more sterile and institutional

attorneys...show me the money..im sure the dispensary owners can maintain a better revenue stream than us poor patients

big pharma.....who inevitably will buy up all the licenses and dispensaries....if you dont believe this your high!

the state....mo money.....a lot of talk of $$$$ in this piece...where is the love?....notta

patients have no where to start....yeah right. you can find out where you can get meds from any Jr high o high schooler.

go to MMMA and inquire.

this will eventually lead to big pharmas monopoly of our good law and dispensaries....screw that

Give our New Good Law 10 years to mature before ripping it apart or changing it etc.

I'll be vigilantly attending and protesting any and all meetings that further regulate/change the cg/pt system

Dispensaries....i think you got big trouble ahead BIG Trouble

Attorneys...protect the patient and caregiver not fight for the profit centered dispensary.

Very Disappointed

cleaned out the inbox for those hostile emails...i do read them all

No Thanks.....Lipstick on a Pig

we the people voted on the law as written

dispensaries are not protected...let them fight for their own rights to rip us off.

does the state care about your health? do the dispensary owners care about your health?

heck no they are motivated by profit

keep the state outta my personal life and away from my meds.

who would stand to gain?....NOT THE PATIENT

dispensary owners...rich and greedy...25/30 gr. even the term dispensary is void of compassion...more sterile and institutional

attorneys...show me the money..im sure the dispensary owners can maintain a better revenue stream than us poor patients

big pharma.....who inevitably will buy up all the licenses and dispensaries....if you dont believe this your high!

the state....mo money.....a lot of talk of $$$$ in this piece...where is the love?....notta

patients have no where to start....yeah right. you can find out where you can get meds from any Jr high o high schooler.

go to MMMA and inquire.

this will eventually lead to big pharmas monopoly of our good law and dispensaries....screw that

Give our New Good Law 10 years to mature before ripping it apart or changing it etc.

I'll be vigilantly attending and protesting any and all meetings that further regulate/change the cg/pt system

Dispensaries....i think you got big trouble ahead BIG Trouble

Attorneys...protect the patient and caregiver not fight for the profit centered dispensary.

Very Disappointed

cleaned out the inbox for those hostile emails...i do read them all

I couldnt have said it better myself! Thank You for saving me the time!

Peace

FTW

Jim

i agree the state needs to allow dispensaries, but i could see them trying to pull some crap like "ok you can have dispensaries, but you can't grow your own anymore as a result"

another downside is that dispensaries are EXTREMELY expensive as compared to most patient/caregiver relationships. dispensaries charge top-dollar street prices, OR MORE - while at the same time no patient would ever expect to pay 400/oz or 20/gram with their caregiver arrangement. i dont really see how dispensaries could compete with that.

There are compassionate dispensaries - just like compassionate caregivers.

What's wrong with paying $10 a gram?

Patients need better, safer, and saner choices besides being locked into having to deal with people you wouldn't normally be friends with in the first place.

There is a CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Walmart, and every other pharmacy imaginable seemingly on every street corner.

Why can't there also be dispensaries in addition to the patient/caregiver agreement?

Is that going to hurt so bad?

Mizerman

what dispensary is charging $10 grams? They are charging $350 oz or $15 grams. The only way to get $10 grams or less is from a private grower (a patient preferably) with some overages - who is not looking to make a house payment based on it.

The whole key to this argument is not to allow the state to do "one or the other" like outlawing personal grows because the "US Government is here to help you." with a pharmacy dispensing lousy gov weed.

-DN

what dispensary is charging $10 grams? They are charging $350 oz or $15 grams. The only way to get $10 grams or less is from a private grower (a patient preferably) with some overages - who is not looking to make a house payment based on it.

The whole key to this argument is not to allow the state to do "one or the other" like outlawing personal grows because the "US Government is here to help you." with a pharmacy dispensing lousy gov weed.

-DN

Wrong Nomad. Apparently, I know some pretty cool dispenary owners who like me and want to help me.

Wrong Nomad. Apparently, I know some pretty cool dispenary owners who like me and want to help me.

apparently that benefit is not for everyone - lucky you have a friend with benefits, too bad the rest have to pay the $15 per gram eh?

How can you advocate dispensaries knowing that patients will not get the same special treatment you get?

Work together, patients helping patients - not dispensaries and monopolies.

-DN

There are compassionate dispensaries - just like compassionate caregivers.

What's wrong with paying $10 a gram?

Patients need better, safer, and saner choices besides being locked into having to deal with people you wouldn't normally be friends with in the first place.

There is a CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Walmart, and every other pharmacy imaginable seemingly on every street corner.

Why can't there also be dispensaries in addition to the patient/caregiver agreement?

Is that going to hurt so bad?

Mizerman

sounds like you have a cozy relationship with the dispensary.

would like to know which it is so i can go get my A1 Meds for $10

the only improvement would be No law against manufacture/possession/consumption

anything else is a huge step Backwards

so what dispensary was that now?

Very enlightening thread.

apparently that benefit is not for everyone - lucky you have a friend with benefits, too bad the rest have to pay the $15 per gram eh?

How can you advocate dispensaries knowing that patients will not get the same special treatment you get?

Work together, patients helping patients - not dispensaries and monopolies.

-DN

Why is it that folks like you - who are from a "Compassion" club which are anything but compassionate want to tell me what to do and how to do it?

Folks like you want rides to the Hash Bash, don't pay for gas and don't chip in a dime for anything.

Friends like you? Who needs them. I damned sure don't

Guest Happy Guy

Careful what you ask for. The 'new deal' for dispensaries is that you need to live more than 25 miles from one to legally grow your own. You want that? We all should know by now that dispensaries want a monopoly and will do whatever it takes to shut down their competition. From saying that small growers will rape their patients and burn down their houses to actually applauding a moritorium on new growers but let's him stay open. Yes, a dispensary owner actuall APPLAUDED a moritorium on anyone else growing. APPLAUDED it in public and was quoted in a newspaper. They are not our friends and they do not have any idea of compassion, they sell it for whatever the market can bear. One dispensary owner was caught saying that he would use chemical smelling marijuana in edibles to hide the smell! Freed said we would rape and burn. Bashore, applauded the moritorium. Agro was caught on tape buying chemical stinking weed and said he would have to give it to the chef. These are all documented and not hearsay. These people just want your cash and will charge you just as much as they think they can get away with. Dispensaries will price poor patients right out of legal medical cannabis and will put you back into hiding because you have no other choice. Don't be lazy, grow your own and save our law from the tyrants. Once the state goes dispensary then we will be just like poor Arizona, patients can't grow their own. Medium and low income patients can't afford to buy it at dispensaries. They are screwed and forced to break the law again.

pretty selfish statement no?

Why is anything I say selfish?

If a friend of yours (and if YOU happen to be disabled and some how manage to survive on meager disability benefits) happens to own ANY type of business and gives you a discount...what would motivate them to offer you the same deal?

Jam it!

Mizerman :growl:

p.s. and as for Digital Nomad - he can kiss my rosey red azz

Guest Happy Guy

Why is anything I say selfish?

If a friend of yours (and if YOU happen to be disabled and some how manage to survive on meager disability benefits) happens to own ANY type of business and gives you a discount...what would motivate them to offer you the same deal?

Jam it!

How come you are not growing even more than you need by now? You have had years to get it down cold. This doesn't add up Mizerman. If you were a true mizer you wouldn't be buying at a store.

Look .. if the price is to high, don't buy.

Isn't that simple?

The fact is that it is difficult to find a high quality caregiver.

Even more so for someone that has never been exposed directly to marijuana before.

How many dispensaries carry clones? Most of them, from what I've seen.

Perhaps the best thing is to make one single visit to get clones and then never come back. Patients could choose to spend their money for overseas seeds or for local clones.

Bill Schuette claimed in 2008 that our current law, proposed at that time, would implicitly legalize dispensaries. BS is no friend of mmj. As an enemy of our law and former Court of Appeals judge, he read the proposed law and came to that conclusion. That the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act legalizes dispensaries without regulating them.

What we don't have right now is regulation of dispensaries. That regulatory structure was removed from our proposed law. Again .. it is the regulations about dispensaries that we don't have. Right now, it's a free for all. Our next attorney general sees us in a situation where they are both legal and unregulated.

PS I know of caregivers charging $600 per ounce.

Again .. if the price is to high, buy it somewhere else.

How come you are not growing even more than you need by now? You have had years to get it down cold. This doesn't add up Mizerman. If you were a true mizer you wouldn't be buying at a store.

You simply don't know what you are talking about.

As for Digital Nomad - if he'd like me to "cut and paste" his unwanted solicitations to me - I will

He wanted to charge me $300 an ounce and told me all kinds of things like I had to get it today, it would be gone, etc...

Well, $10 a gram is cheaper and better than having to deal with him.

If you - Digital Nomad - ever come up to me and smart-off to me in public be prepared for an old-fashioned azz whipping...whether that be in front of a court house or any where else for that matter.

The Michigan Medical Marijuana Caregivers Enrichment Association is partly to blame for dispenaries cropping up everywhere.

I stupidly signed up with three people since this law's inception that were either:

1.) Unreliable & Nuts

2.) Thieves

3.) Not even a patient themselves and was selling my plants to other cardholders and non-cardholders.

I have grown before and I do have a garden started.

So, before you insert your foot up your azz - send me a PM and I'll be glad to explain it all to you as I have nothing but time.

Why don't some of you hypcorites and "holier than thou" folks go beat your pots and pans and attack Michael Komorn for writing a truely great editorial in the Detroit Free Press?

As for dispensaries...

Remember when Blueberry wasn't too happy with the folks who were bringing in people by the busloads to protest in Waterford?

(And, Blueberry is one of the most compassionate people I have ever known)

Well, that was funded by the pro-dispensary crowd.

They certainly had more people show up than I have ever seen at any other rally in front of a court house and I've been to quite a few protests in the last couple of years. Have you? I doubt it.

Now, Blueberry has urged all of us to support the people in Battle Creek with all the crap they are going through with their city council regarding the potentially closing down of dispensaries.

What changed his mind?

My wife and I will try and be there on December 7th @ 7 p.m. - will you?

Mizerman :angry:

Do not Touch the MMMMA. Make the Prohibitionists READ the law and prosecute them in Civil Court if they disobey the MMMA which provides penalties for violations by not just patients and caregivers but police and judges too.

10 years and any municipalities that try to parrot federal law or amend or restrict the MMMA get the same treatment as Livonia, Birmingham, W. Bloomfield et al.

what was it? You did offer to give me a ride to the hashbash, and I smoked my meds with you. If you wanted gas money, you could have asked, but now you let a petty thing get in the way. You are bitching about me offering you meds at $300, delivered to your door, when you pay $10 a gram now? - you are the fool. I don't know how I became the bad guy for that. You make it sound like I was trying to sell you street grade for $450.

You never went to a MOCC club meeting, so you can't speak about our compassion.

you want to resort to violence? sure we can do this - lets go to my dojo - I can get the gym for the 2 minutes it will take for you to 'tap out'.

-DN

OPPOSING POINTS OF VIEW

State should set up dispensary system

By Michael Komorn

Michael Komorn is a Southfield attorney and board member of the Michigan Medical Marijuana Association.

Since Michigan’s Medical Marijuana Act was signed into law in April 2009, one question has stood out among registered patients interested in medical marijuana: Where do I start?

New patients may not know where and how to acquire medical marijuana, how to get started growing their own, how to find a caregiver or even the various methods of ingestion, of which smoking is rarely used for medicinal purposes.

Adding a dispensary-type model, layered on top of the existing Michigan Act, could put many of law enforcement’s concerns to rest.

From a legal standpoint, the Michigan act does not speak to dispensaries directly. It also does not specify how patients or caregivers may acquire or grow marijuana. Instead, it provides protection for those assisting patients and caregivers in obtaining cannabis. Such transactions provide immunity from arrest and prosecution and require charges to be dismissed if it can be established that a patient is sick and would benefit from medical marijuana.

This is how the Waterford and Ferndale facilities operated — under the protection of and in compliance with the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act. Patients were required to show registration cards prior to being allowed entrance and limited to purchasing 2.5 ounces of medical marijuana, per Michigan law.

Other dispensaries statewide operate under similar parameters, many with the approval of local law enforcement and municipalities.

The model nationwide is also proven, showing its effectiveness in states like California, Rhode Island and Colorado, the latter of which heavily regulates medical marijuana seemingly with approval from the federal government. This year, Colorado has collected more than $2.2 million in sales tax from dispensaries.

In Michigan and the other states mentioned above, medical marijuana is legal. Regardless of federal statutes, registered patients in Michigan have a legal right to acquire, use and benefit from medical marijuana. Any argument to the contrary or citing of federal law as justification for arrests directly violates the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which states it is unconstitutional for a state to use its resources to enforce federal law.

Creating dispensaries in Michigan not only complies with the Michigan act, it creates an entirely new business opportunity for the state’s residents. From vacant real estate to establishing a new taxable entity, dispensaries make sense from a financial standpoint.

Enhancing patient and caregiver safety is another benefit of dispensaries, creating a secure facility where patients can be educated on what works best for their ailment, learn various ways of ingestion and not be forced to obtain their medicine in a back room or parking lot.

Opponents of dispensaries in this state seem to be opponents of medical marijuana in general. How else can one explain the lack of desire to provide safe access to reliable, consistent medication for patients? Or the mind-set to prevent an incredible business opportunity to flourish after more than 60% of voters approved the use of marijuana as medication?

State or local ordinances can define dispensaries, establishing a precedent in how they may be run, including the amount of usable marijuana on site, number of patients allowed in the facility at any one time, and security requirements.

The people of Michigan have spoken in favor of medical marijuana. It is time to further refine medical marijuana operations without changing the protections and intent of the original law.

We in the medical marijuana community continue to ask for a dialogue, including working for a consensus on dispensaries, and creating a system that benefits all, while keeping patients and caregivers safe. Let’s stop using law enforcement resources to arrest and prosecute patients and focus on establishing an expanded, safer distribution system

WHY would we want to give the state something else to screw up? You want to give them the right to regulate price and distribute??? NO WAY.

This whole movement was started so that we could grow our own MJ and use it without fear of prosecution. Now everyone is threatening to flush it all down the drain because dispensaries are crying the blues because the individuals who want to open them are not getting a chance to make a lot of money for doing nothing. Its a lot of work to grow these plants properly. It takes a lot of time and patience as well as money. But the growers and users are not complaining. The only guys complaining are dispensary owners who are making all the profit from the growers hard work. I'll give away my good extra grow before I'll sell it to a dispensary for $125 an ounce so that they can resell it for $350+.

So somebody comes along that wants to own a chain of 12 dispensaries in across the state and make a ton of cash and we using/growing individuals are supposed to take some kind of a hit over it with a possible change in the law? Why? Think about it...even if a dispensary only makes $1000 of pure profit a week after costs thats $12,000 a week a guy makes if he has 12 dispensaries.

Why should we have any change in our law? No individual can smoke everything from 3 twelve plant grows anyway, and you can share your extra with other cardholders as the law now stands. What more do we want? Restrictions like some of the western states are now getting?

Somebody should set up a poll on the site that would be real simple by asking people if they would prefer:

(a) keep the law the way it is dispite its grey areas or

(b) make changes that would allow dispensaries and require that you buy from them or the state.

There is no way we are going to be able to have our cake and eat it too on this issue. IF the state ever opens up this law for changes I guarantee you that we are not going to be happy with those changes. Once the genie is out of the bottle the state will end up regulating MMJ based on how the religious right, the police associations, the Alcoholic Beverage Retailer's association, the existing state retailer's association, the pharmacy associations, the school boards, the bar (legal) association and whatever unknown association represents all the businessmen who want to open up a dispensary want the law to be. Your rights to grow 12 plants in your basement will be the last thing that matters and you will be paying your $250 a year for a permit for the "right" to pay $500 or more an ounce for MJ. How would you like to have possession limits dropped to 1/4 oz and be required to prove where you bought it from? It will drive everyone back underground and LEO will love it because of all the money they will make on forfeitures of your cars and homes.

Sorry about the rant, but people better start to realize how our disfunctional our legislature really is. We "snuck" the existing MMJ law through the system the easy way on the ballot vote with few details. It works for MMJ patients who grow their own or buy from a CG. Thats a MAJORITY of the people with cards. If 75% of the state legislature votes to open up this law for modification or to scrap it because its causing them so much grief from so many "outside" minority parties they can do it, and they will. And someone who stands to make a lot of money on this will make a generous campaign contribution with the big bucks you will have to pay for their MMJ when its over.

Remember when Blueberry wasn't too happy with the folks who were bringing in people by the busloads to protest in Waterford?

(And, Blueberry is one of the most compassionate people I have ever known)

Well, that was funded by the pro-dispensary crowd.

They certainly had more people show up than I have ever seen at any other rally in front of a court house and I've been to quite a few protests in the last couple of years. Have you? I doubt it.

Now, Blueberry has urged all of us to support the people in Battle Creek with all the crap they are going through with their city council regarding the potentially closing down of dispensaries.

What changed his mind?

Is this an inside beef? I don't follow. What DID change his mind

Is this an inside beef? I don't follow. What DID change his mind

i really have no idea but that type of about face..similar to this dispensary trash usually involves 30 pieces of silver

one thing for sure the price we will pay for opening up the law for dispensaries is to high...i aint buyin

everyone know if you want somethin you gotta give somethin

to get dispenceries on board the pt/cg model will have to give. No Thanks, been to long a road to get this far.

heck the state cant even manage to get the cards out in a timely manner.

I only had 600 words to work with, and I was asked to provide an argument of persuasion for dispensaries. I hear the complaints of high prices, and the economic motive of running a business, and of course the arrest and prosecution of dispensary owners and employees. The fact is that dispensaries exist all over the state. For some they are providing a service, and to others causing problems. I think we could all agree that (and I would encourage us all to have) there are several differing opinions all making valid points. Weather we as a community like it or not, these issues are being discussed, contemplated throughout the state, at all levels of government. A distribution model of some kind will likely be much of the discussion over the next 2 years, while many of these same issues are litigated in Court. First let me say that I do not endorse a change in the MMMA. The act itself is a great law. I personally do not think one thing has to be changed about the law, but instead the change must come from the minds of its opponents. This law was intended to be broadly interpreted and protect patients and caregivers and those who help patients and caregivers from arrests and no prosecution. If everyone saw it this way, there would be no issues no arrests and the community would be safe. I realize also that but for the existence of the dispensaries now, this conversation and probably many of the arrest would not be taking place. But this is not a reality

We know that the existing system does work, the question is are we as a state going to endorse an absolute status quo, for not just the MMMA, but for the issues of commercialization and distribution (see the feds are coming to Lansing). Or are we willing to, not change to the existing law but, discuss and ultimately embrace a different law, one that does not effect in any way the current protections of the MMMA, but instead one that give some guidance to how these entities should be designed. Is there a way to maintain the protected rights of patients and caregivers as they areas outlined in the MMMA, while at the same time regulating a system that is commercial in nature (does not exclude a nonprofit model). Wouldn’t it be nice if patients and caregivers could get up every day, go to work, participate in providing care and compassion to patients and not have to worry about being arrested? I believe that such a reality does exist. And while it feels like we are in the middle of the chaos, I am optimistic that one day this can be our reality.

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

3000 Town Center, Suite, 1800

Southfield, MI 48075

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES

w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

There is probably more than one way to meet the needs of folks who get little or no relief from the more common strains of meds, but their going into a dispensary and purchasing small amounts of many strains, trying them at home to see which gives them the most benefit is definitely one. A cousin of mine a few years back, about 1998 moved to San Francisco and spent nearly two weeks 'testing.' That particular store had 60 some varieties and among them he found one that really helped him. When the DEA raided and closed the dispensary he dug into his old bag and last I knew, still grows the high CBD strain he discovered in that test run.

As a pracical and legal matter I as a caregiver of only 5 patients don't find it practical (or wise) to offer a huge number of strains. Some form of larger organization (dispensary, coop? community alternative health clinic?) is needed to fill that "niche" for people who need a smogasboard from which to discover their best med.