Here Come The Feds

Here Come the Feds12 3 10

http://www.capitalcitycaregivers.org/2010/12/03/here-come-the-feds/

It’s true. Please read the story below from the City Pulse. We will have more information and a personal statement soon. Please note that CCC has not been affected by the raid. We have been and will continue to operate within the legal limits as stated in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act. Our continued goal is to provide medical marijuana patients a safe, professional, and secure place to legally obtain medical marijuana. Thank you for your loyal support.

Thursday, Dec. 2 — The federal Drug Enforcement Agency has raided a medical marijuana grow facility in Okemos. The man leasing space at the facility says the plant numbers were within the state’s medical marijuana law.

Ryan Basore, owner of Capital City Caregivers at 2208 E. Michigan Ave., also leases the 3,000-square-foot industrial facility that was raided at 2360 Jolly Oak Road in Okemos on Tuesday. Basore said other tri-county police departments participated in the raid but not Ingham County or Meridian Township police.

Basore said the DEA “took everything,” including growing equipment, 40 plants and roughly $20,000 worth of plant nutrients. Six caregivers leasing facility space from Basore owned the plants.

As both a medical marijuana patient and a caregiver, Basore can legally possess up to 72 plants himself, he said. A patient may have 12 plants and a caregiver may have up to 60.

Basore said he believes the raid stemmed from a neighbor’s complaint about the growing operation.

Special Agent Rich Isaacson, a public information officer at the DEA’s Detroit branch, confirmed today that a federal search warrant was executed Tuesday night at the facility near the intersection of Okemos and Jolly roads.

He would not comment further on the raid because the case is under investigation.

However, he said the DEA does not differentiate between “medical marijuana and marijuana” when it comes to “large-scale drug trafficking groups.”

“That being said, people following state law will not be targeted,” Isaacson said. “We are not utilizing our resources on folks that are following state law.”

The DEA recognizes cannabis as a Schedule 1 drug, along with the likes of heroin, cocaine and ecstasy, claiming it has no medicinal use.

In 2008, 63 percent of Michigan voters disagreed and passed the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act as a state ballot initiative.

Basore expressed concern about not getting back confiscated plants and equipment. He said the DEA has kept confiscated items in raids that did result in arrests in other states where medical marijuana was also legal.

Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero, interim Lansing Police Chief Teresa Szymanski and State Reps. George Cushingberry Jr. and Fred Durhal Jr., both Detroit Democrats,’ about the matter. He said they are all “upset.”

He said roughly 60 law enforcement vehicles were at the scene Tuesday night. Basore added that a black SUV had been staking out the site for about “three to four months.”

U.S. Federal Judge Joseph Scoville from Michigan’s Western District in Grand Rapids signed a search warrant Nov. 24 to seize a host of cannabis-related materials at Basore’s facility.

This incident is likely to draw the attention from groups who say the federal government is overstepping its boundaries when it comes to medical marijuana, which is allowed in 13 other states besides Michigan.

“We’ll see. It’s going to get interesting,” Basore said.

Basore is in the process of putting together a legal team to fight the case.

Complete City Pulse Story

Michael A. Komorn

Attorney and Counselor

Law Office of Michael A. Komorn

3000 Town Center, Suite, 1800

Southfield, MI 48075

800-656-3557 (Toll Free)

248-351-2200 (Office)

248-357-2550 (Phone)

248-351-2211 (Fax)

Email: michael@komornlaw.com

Check out our Radio show:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

NEW CALL IN NUMBER: (347) 326-9626

Live Every Wednesday 8-9:30 p.m.

PLANET GREENTREES

w/ Attorney Michael Komorn

The most relevant radio talk show for the Michigan Medical Marijuana Community. PERIOD.

If you have a medical marihuana question or comment, please email them to me, or leave them on the forum for the MMMA, and I will try to answer them live on the air.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/planetgreentrees

PLANET GREENTREES Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

Call-in Number: (347) 326-9626

He said she said. Basore claims to be within state guidelines. DEA says a "large-scale drug traficking group" and we spent the last 3 or 4 months staking them out.

The 6 patients leasing space in one building likely seem to be innocents. Gone are their equipment ad plants. In Federal Court it can take years to shake out the truth. As to getting back what was confiscated? Unfortunately based on similar incidents in other states fugudabboutit!

Another example Obama does not run the justice department (does not stay their hand regarding medical marijuana) career prosecutors run the justice department and they make 'no distinction between medical marijuana and marijuana.'

did you see the double speak?

" the DEA does not differentiate between “medical marijuana and marijuana” when it comes to “large-scale drug trafficking groups.”

“That being said, people following state law will not be targeted,” Isaacson said. “We are not utilizing our resources on folks that are following state law.”

so - if we follow state law, the DEA will leave us alone. 40 plants? How did that break state law?

-DN

Federal Judges

Q: Who appoints federal judges?

Supreme Court justices, court of appeals judges, and district court judges are nominated by the President and confirmed by the United States Senate, as stated in the Constitution. The names of potential nominees are often recommended by senators or sometimes by members of the House who are of the President's political party. The Senate Judiciary Committee typically conducts confirmation hearings for each nominee. Article III of the Constitution states that these judicial officers are appointed for a life term. The federal Judiciary, the Judicial Conference of the United States, and the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts play no role in the nomination and confirmation process.

http://www.uscourts.gov/Common/FAQS.aspx

So, as we [all too clearly, painfully] see, heartless, compassionless U.S. Federal Judge Joseph Scoville is - so obviously - NO FRIEND of "WE The PEOPLE".

This just might say it all:

Q: What are the qualifications for becoming a federal judge?

The Constitution sets forth no specific requirements. However, members of Congress, who typically recommend potential nominees, and the Department of Justice, which reviews nominees' qualifications, have developed their own informal criteria.

Nuff said.

FREE The CURE!

And, speaking of unelected Federal Court Judges:

Q: You know a lot of federal judges throughout the country and hear them talk about their work and their lives. How has the decline in the value of judges’ compensation impacted the morale of federal judges?

A: Historically, the federal Judiciary has been comprised of people who demonstrated their ability and achievement in the legal profession, and who for that reason were chosen to serve on the federal bench. In earlier times, the salaries paid to federal judges and the salaries paid to people in similar positions outside the Judiciary were comparable. Today, that is no longer the case and there has been a steady erosion of the salary levels for federal judges compared to other positions. It is not uncommon for a law clerk at the Supreme Court or a Court of Appeals to earn within the first year of private employment as much or more than the judge for whom the clerk worked. Salaries of law professors similarly exceed that of federal judges.

http://www.uscourts.gov/News/TheThirdBranch/06-05-01/Justice_O_Connor_Speaks_Out.aspx

Michigan / America: "Home of the Brave; Land of The FREE".

Or, really, isn't it a lot more like: "Home of The FEE; Land of The SLAVE"?!

BE FREE - from Malfeasant "Public Officers".

SHARE The HEALING

Guest Happy Guy

did you see the double speak?

" the DEA does not differentiate between “medical marijuana and marijuana” when it comes to “large-scale drug trafficking groups.”

so - if we follow state law, the DEA will leave us alone. 40 plants? How did that break state law?

-DN

How did he break the law? Looks like the feds believe the intent of the law was for small units of distribution, up to 6. A caregiver can have 5 patients and include himself which adds up to 6. You can't ignore it in the law. Why was it there? To limit large scale drug trafficing? Maybe so that the feds would leave us alone? Looks like it doesn't it? Stay small and they will have a better chance seeing you as medical and not a major drug trafficker. That's the message I take away from it. 6 max total in a distribution chain or you are a major drug trafficker.

And, speaking of unelected Federal Court Judges:

Q: You know a lot of federal judges throughout the country and hear them talk about their work and their lives. How has the decline in the value of judges’ compensation impacted the morale of federal judges?

A: Historically, the federal Judiciary has been comprised of people who demonstrated their ability and achievement in the legal profession, and who for that reason were chosen to serve on the federal bench. In earlier times, the salaries paid to federal judges and the salaries paid to people in similar positions outside the Judiciary were comparable. Today, that is no longer the case and there has been a steady erosion of the salary levels for federal judges compared to other positions. It is not uncommon for a law clerk at the Supreme Court or a Court of Appeals to earn within the first year of private employment as much or more than the judge for whom the clerk worked. Salaries of law professors similarly exceed that of federal judges.

http://www.uscourts.gov/News/TheThirdBranch/06-05-01/Justice_O_Connor_Speaks_Out.aspx

Michigan / America: "Home of the Brave; Land of The FREE".

Or, really, isn't it a lot more like: "Home of The FEE; Land of The SLAVE"?!

BE FREE - from Malfeasant "Public Officers".

SHARE The HEALING

Well, now I see the reasoning behind paying government workers a good wage. They will be much less open to corruption if the job they hold is well paying. Look to "Third World" countries to see the implications of a corrupt legal system. Bribes take the place of justice. Don't say that "It could never happen here". It could and it might.

I notice the article says 6 caregivers, not 6 patients as some comments have mentioned.

We will learn more later, but only 40 plants makes this an odd event for two reasons. It seems like a small # for 6 caregivers, and it seems like too small an amount to attract the attention of the DEA. Maybe the DEA thought there was a good chance there were more plants based on the number of caregivers and decided to have a look see.

My guess is that when they investigate something, they don't leave plants behind. Charges or no charges.

Are there charges at this point?

The DEA recognizes cannabis as a Schedule 1 drug, along with the likes of heroin, cocaine and ecstasy, claiming it has no medicinal use.

To be correct, at least as last I checked, cannabis is a schedule 1 drug, while cocaine is schedule 2 (along with PCP, Morphine, Crank/Speed)

DEA,Drug Scheduling

So, once that is known, anyone with a hint of common sense should be asking themselves "WTF?" The DEA is essentially saying that cocaine and speed are less dangerous and have more medicinal value than cannabis....Huh?

So now everyone should be in agreement, regardless of which side of MMJ issue you are on....something is SERIOUSLY F'd up with this. How can a "pothead" be more dangerous than a crackhead?

As for the raid, it is sad to see the DEA wasting the taxpayers money and I wish all the best to those involved. We had the "Cannabis Eradication Unit" of the Mich State Police practically land a helicopter in our front yard. All of our children were home (10, 8, & 1)....but the LEO that came were fairly personable, looked over our paperwork, counted plants, told us to have a good day and left. In a way it was a good thing because our oldest had D.A.R.E.(don't even get me started on that BS)this year and was able to witness what (should) happen when LEO bother legal patients.

Sorry for the ramble, but I thought the author should be corrected on the mistake.

Good luck to all that are involved.

good catch, :goodjob: Clear and Unambiguous, i said 6 patients and the article says '6 caregivers were leasing space'(from Basore).

But $20,000 worth of nutes? They had to be wholesaling nutes or intending to ramp up to 4,000 plants. For 40 plants $200 worth of nutes on hand is more like it.

I know this sounds terrible, but I almost hope that there WAS something illegal going on. If not, this means the DEA and possibly other related agencies are targeting patients/caregivers that stay within the limits of state law. From personal experience, I can tell you that 40 plants usually won't even make it onto the DEA's radar unless there are other factors involved. Something doesn't add up. Good luck to everyone involved. If all of the caregivers were in fact playing it by the book as reported, it would appear that the FED's will not have much of a case.

:) I was just gonna mention that Pic book,, how would they need to be housing 20K in nutes. I know the stuff can be expensive but really 20k I think something was happening or about to

Perhaps they got a good deal by buying it by the pallet and truckload.... :rolleyes:

Probably unlikely though....

Myself I would be willing to bet something illegal was going on or planned.It is bad if everything was legit and they still did this but so maybe times on here I have heard stories of people being socalled within the law just to hear from others that they were not.

i don't know if it would have necessarily been illegal, clearly anyway. i think they may have been about to push some boundaries. 72 plants X 6 caregivers is 432 plants: definitely on DEA's radar. and, that's 6 right now; they may have been recruiting more, there may have been more in the background waiting, who knows...

we know nothing about this, though. for all we know, the reason for the small plant count was they were building separate, locked facilities in the building. total speculation, but they were obviously either getting ready for a haul of plants, or stockpiling nutes for a 2012 phenomenon. :P

Guest Happy Guy

Small plant count? That's because they outsource. 20 pounds a week or more. They say it themselves. Outsource it from other states and Mexico because they have to sell it to them cheaply due to it being illegal. That's how they work/rake.

He said she said. Basore claims to be within state guidelines. DEA says a "large-scale drug traficking group" and we spent the last 3 or 4 months staking them out.

The 6 patients leasing space in one building likely seem to be innocents. Gone are their equipment ad plants. In Federal Court it can take years to shake out the truth. As to getting back what was confiscated? Unfortunately based on similar incidents in other states fugudabboutit!

Another example Obama does not run the justice department (does not stay their hand regarding medical marijuana) career prosecutors run the justice department and they make 'no distinction between medical marijuana and marijuana.'

please dont makes excuses for bush 3 he lied he said one thing to get our vote then turns his back on us

The reason Cocaine's a Schedule 2 drug is because some clinics and hospitals use a small amount to stop excessive bleeding during operations. So, the DEA looks at it as since Hospitals (usually funded by the government) use it, that it must not be as dangerous. Also, the DEA still believe the whole "Gateway drug" theory about marijuana. Though, we all know, the real "gateway" is actually something that people use every day: curiosity.

Good luck to all those affected by this raid.

:) I was just gonna mention that Pic book,, how would they need to be housing 20K in nutes. I know the stuff can be expensive but really 20k I think something was happening or about to

Better go bust Loews or Meijers Garden shops, they have large amounts of fertilizers. I didn't know ferts were illegal thanks for the heads up.

Myself I would be willing to bet something illegal was going on or planned.It is bad if everything was legit and they still did this but so maybe times on here I have heard stories of people being so called within the law just to hear from others that they were not.

That is true i go to court all the time just to find out the real story their are only two of us so far as i know and they are Me and Kingpinn

some had 15 plants some had 12 and a few clones but look at us i did 11 and Torey had 10 i wanted to be under plant count just to be on the safe side it didn't work for us

Guest Happy Guy

Better go bust Loews or Meijers Garden shops, they have large amounts of fertilizers. I didn't know ferts were illegal thanks for the heads up.

They sell fertilizer. Same people who own the dispensaries sell hydro stuff. That's why they had it in the warehouse. Simple answer. They only had 40 plants because they outsource the cannabis from other states and Mexico. Support Michigan, support the caregiver/patient model, not diverting dispensaries who buy illegal cannabis with a big question mark on it!

Archived