BHO (Butane Honey Oil) The Facts (As Str8Dank Sees 'em)

well i see no other section but the edibles section that this topic remotely fits into. i only think it half way fits here because it is a extraction and that's all edibles are anyways. i've made BHO (Butane Honey Oil) and bubble hash both and actually came on MMMA today to find some clear information about how extractions are seen within the law. when searching i found some very uninformed comments being made about BHO and thought i would start a knowledge dump of information pertaining to BHO to help enlighten those misinformed.

for those of you saying you would not want to try bho as it does not look safe i have to respectfully disagree. this is a simple extraction process and the horror stories surrounding BHO are never about the end product and NEVER have i seen these horror stories be related to it's consumption. these stories are about careless people using a highly flammable gas within a enclosed environment that just so happens to have electrical devices in it that spark and cause explosions.

I am no scientist but I'll attempt to provide my logic and information i've obtained researching the safety of butane extractions. first and foremost you use the same darn gas to lite your meds. butane extraction is nothing new it's a proven process used for may other items. Even if the bho was not provided the proper time drying time to evaporate off the gas would not the gas just ignite within the bho when you attempt to smoke it having the same potential effect on you as using the lighter? i dont see how this causes any more risk then using the lighter especially once it has evaporated.

Butane is Organically friendly and NON-TOXIC.You may not be aware that butane is the propellant used in oil cooking sprays. you eat stuff that the pan was lubricated with oil propelled using butane so how dangerous could the extracted product be to smoke? It is safe non-toxic, evaporates completely and dissolves the oil readily so it can be sprayed out of the low pressure canister and these products are used on foods in thousands or maybe millions of kitchens daily.

pure butane would be the best solution but there are MANY brands of butane within the US easily available that care the "Near Zero Impurities" logo. to understand the qualifying factors to carry this logo refer to http://www.keen-newport.com/ourBenchmark.htm. alot of people whip their BHO into "budder". If you whip your bho into "budder" you are introducing air into the product increasing the surface area and it's even further confirmation that all the butane is gone. again I'm no scientist and have no special I.Q. this is just my beliefs just based on pure logic of what's happening. whipping bho IMO is like whipping egg whites you are increasing surface area and introducing air and the more air exposure the faster the evaporation of the butane.

it takes a low temperature to evaporate off butane all you need is a hot water double boiler style bath. no heating element needs to be present to keep the water warm you can replenish the water source as needed with more hot water obtained OFF SITE from a pot on the stove. i do extractions outside int he back yard about 20 ft from the house. if i need more hot water I'll go grab a pot off the stove inside.

i built my first extractor recently and it took me about 5 minutes and less then $10. it will hold about 20 grams of plant matter at a time and i use one can per filling. I'll be honest this site seems more aggressive and more arguments happen here then I'm use to so i was actually reluctant to even post this in fear of trolling or just people misunderstanding why i posted it and flaming me. With that said let me say up front i am not posting this to fight, argue or try and prove anyone wrong. My only goal is to help educate my fellow caregivers and patients. If you see something incorrect in my post PLEASE correct me I'm here to learn just like everyone else!

thanks,

Str8dank

now I'm off to find out if anyone knows if I'm breaking the law by making it lol. i know CA and Canada treat extractions much different then the when the trich's are still on the plant.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know about the law aspect but what I worry about is manufacturing residue or incorrect container COULD leech chemicals into the end product and cause problems. Especially with those that have weak immune systems.

Chlorinated and aromatic hydrocarbons, esters, or ketones are not recommended for use with PVC or CPVC thermoplastic piping materials.

Although the chemical resistance of PVC and CPVC compounds is similar, they are not always the same. Caution should be used when

comparing the chemical resistance properties of PVC Type I, PVC Type 11, PVC Clear, and CPVC as differences in chemical resistance

exist.

http://www.harvel.com/downloads/chemical-resistance.pdf

GREAT response Mememe!

i didn't get into the process of making it just about the butane because that seems to be the most controversial aspect of bho.

my extractor is all stainless with a steel mesh screen and a coffee filter. besides that the only other surface my bho comes in contact with is a pyrex dish.

bho2.jpg

that's a stainless steel turkey baster from bed Bath and beyond. i used metal screen with a piece of coffee filter to ensure no plant matter escapes. this is placed over a pyrex dish that captures the bho/butane.

pvc is known to leech i would not use it at all in my process.

Don't know about the law aspect but what I worry about is manufacturing residue or incorrect container COULD leech chemicals into the end product and cause problems. Especially with those that have weak immune systems.

Chlorinated and aromatic hydrocarbons, esters, or ketones are not recommended for use with PVC or CPVC thermoplastic piping materials.

Although the chemical resistance of PVC and CPVC compounds is similar, they are not always the same. Caution should be used when

comparing the chemical resistance properties of PVC Type I, PVC Type 11, PVC Clear, and CPVC as differences in chemical resistance

exist.

http://www.harvel.co...-resistance.pdf

Acetone works fine. It evaporates 8 times faster than water. Some people use Everclear, to make oil, or even a tincture.

As long as you are careful, no open flames or sparks, it turns out great. Stems, stalks, leaves, bud trim, bud...... rinse with a solvent, off comes the THC.

Some people swear by the screens and bubble bags and ice. No chemicals. May or may not be safer. The chemicals evaporate so easily, doubt much gets left behind.

i posted a diy elsewhere on this extractor i've copied and pasted it below..

Stainless Steel Turkey Baster - $6.99

3 bolts (Lowes) - $0.60

2 clamps hose clamps (Lowes) - $1.50

bho1.jpg

find a piece of screen and a coffee filter.

* this has legs so you dont have to hold it

* holds roughly 20 grams

* put together in 5 minutes

everyone knows about the Bed Bath and Beyond turkey basters and i heard they were back in stock due to the season so i had to pick one up. i've never made BHO before so i figured I'd give it a shot. the 3 bolts i just bent the threaded tip so it was at a roughly 45 degree angle so the legs would not point straight down that way they did not interfere with packing or removing the plant material.

the hardest part was trying to put the clamp on with the three legs. i ended up taping each leg in place one at a time then putting the clamp on. the tape is ugly but whatever it worked i only have two hands.

NOTE: before you do this use some pliers and make sure that injector tip is on the baster REALLY TIGHT. i did my run hand tight and butane was squirting out at the seams.

This needs to be said.........DO NOT DO THIS TYPE OF EXTRACTION INDOORS................NO SPARKS or OPEN FLAMES.............HJ

Or do it inside and don't be a dumb donkey and do it by open flames??? I have done this inside without any issues.

Love me some BHO and I use the same turkey baster, 6 bucks at Bed, Beth and Beyond...

LET ME REPEAT MYSELF....

DO NOT DO THIS INDOORS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES..............

Just because you got away with it don't think it's safe........Or at least don't advise other to do it indoors.......HJ

So easy a cave man can do LOL

I wouldnt know if you could get away with it indoors

smart enuff not to try it too

look for Butane 5x filtered, to get the purest butane.

Do not do this indoors - as refrigerator motors, fan motors, STATIC ELECTRIC DISCHARGE - can ignite the butane. Butane is the MOST explosive gas you can get - it is the one gas that only requires a LOW air/gas mix to EXPLODE. Unlike Natural Gas, propane or even acetylene!

B.D.T.'s has a nice kit already made up - pro-style - for the same price as your kit..

see www.thc4u.com for Skolar Steve's demo of Butane Extraction he did at our last MOCC meeting.

-DN

first of all, i changed your biho or whatever to BHO as it should read :thumbsu:

secondly, what this is??? it is a HIGHLY VOLATILE situation. making BHO is not for everybody. this is probably one of the most serious aspects of cannabis........ this is no joke.

i am not taking anything away from anyone..... nor their methods.... that is not my purpose. my purpose is to save lives.

this is not something that you "haha" about and cook up on monday night while the guys are on the couch drinkin' beers for the football game. this is serious, get your white lab coat on and shut the fuccccck up type stuff. it is not safe to do indoors. period. it just isnt safe. better safe than sorry.

please people, take the proper precautions. proper equipment and proper ventilation .... and it will lead to PROPER MEDS.

I make BHO at least twice a week. takes like 4 min. I put a larger dish of hot water, OUTSIDE , get the pipe bomb ready, float my pyrex in the hot h2o bath, squirt away. come back in 1 min. and its ready to scrape. Do it outside w/ NO smoking and its perfectly safe, AND EASY. if you haven't tried any, trust me, your missing out

just to clarify i never said i do it indoors nor would i never recommend it's done indoors! i said i do it ouside in my backyard about 20 ft from my house and the only time during the process i ever go back inside is without my extractor to get more hot water off the stove! i agree never do it indoors which is why i said the only bad rep this stuff really gets in the news is dumb people doing it indoors!

i saw a article on a house where the freezer motor ignited the butane in the air from a indoor extraction and it shot the metal door through a wall like a knife through butter and blew a whole wall off the house! i covered why it's not dangerous and what equipment i use but i think this site could use a great how to on bho to go with the info in this thread. maybe i'll find a video that is good or do one myself.

bubblegrower - my haha was about the typo in the header the entire rest of the thread was serious you're seeming a little up tight man! this is a serious topic which is why i thought it was funny that i messed up the title accidentally because i was focusing on the content which is what really mattered.

oh you guys are more paranoid than me! get a good fire going in your 55 gal drum wood burner in the garage, go out there do the extraction(children dont try this at home) phaq the hot water, it evaporates so quick, I just wait about 10 minutes and bring it in a glass pie dish, I set it on one of those electric radiator type heaters, and let it un crisp and start to bubble a lit bit,,man you can smoke some grass off of the lawn with a drop of that sheet on it and get all about medicated!!

Im surprised you arent getting more hassel,,,this is bad, that is bad, oh dont do it that way,,it is getting way to technical for this old stoner, Ill stick to my old ways they always worked and I havent taken a garage ride to the moon yet roglmao! (just kidding about the wood burner)

Peace

FTW and Oil

Jim

P.s I had heard something about enhancing weed! in a law, I dont know if that applies now since mm is legal

I got caught with a lil residue left in a few bottles i put it in, and leo called it black tar heroin till the lab tests came back!

the MMMP considers tinctures, medibles, and BHO to be 'preparations of', 'manufacturing', etc.

They would just tally up the weight of all your usable material on your posession. 1 ounce of smokes, and a 3 ounce brownie is trouble. A bottle containing 2.5ounces of BHO is legal. A brownie in your posession weighting 2.5oz is legal (thats only a 2x2" brownie). LEO could charge you with overage if you got caught say, driving around with a tray of MM brownies (thats usually 1lb of 'preparation containing marijuana') or a gallon of cannabutter (thats over 2.5fluid oz)

"(j) "Usable marihuana" means the dried leaves and flowers of the marihuana plant, and any mixture or preparation thereof, but does not include the seeds, stalks, and roots of the plant."

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-333-26423

a 2 ounce plant extraction should yeild about 1 gram. That potent gram can go for $70 to $90!

-DN

Do not do this indoors - as refrigerator motors, fan motors, STATIC ELECTRIC DISCHARGE - can ignite the butane. Butane is the MOST explosive gas you can get - it is the one gas that only requires a LOW air/gas mix to EXPLODE. Unlike Natural Gas, propane or even acetylene!

B.D.T.'s has a nice kit already made up - pro-style - for the same price as your kit..

see www.thc4u.com for Skolar Steve's demo of Butane Extraction he did at our last MOCC meeting.

-DN

Where do you get the 5x filtered butane, and who is B.D.T.'s ? I wanna get one of their kits. I've been using alcohol extraction and a pollen press...how do the two methods compare in terms of final product?

Where do you get the 5x filtered butane, and who is B.D.T.'s ? I wanna get one of their kits. I've been using alcohol extraction and a pollen press...how do the two methods compare in terms of final product?

B.D.T. Pipe and Tobacco Place

21640 John R Rd

Hazel Park, MI 48030

(248) 542-6110

$8 I believe for the large can of 5x butane

Tell them you heard about it from MOCC...

- Faster extraction than alcohol, maybe taste?

- BHO is just washing the trichrome off the plant - like Ice-o-lator or even pollen (kif) sifting. Some extractions methods are better at removing the potent THC off the plant material, example ice-o-lator is more efficent than sifting kif.

-DN

BHO is a much cleaner product...........Vector butane is the best 5x filtered type out there......If you live near Livonia you can get it at The Wine Barrel on Plymouth road west of Middlebelt.....Tell Mark I sent ya....He sells it by the can or by the case.........If you are serious about making BHO do yourself a favor and read the link below....I bought my extraction tube at http://www.okief.com/.......HJ

https://tokecity.com/forums/showthread.php4?t=25685

BHO is a much cleaner product...........Vector butane is the best 5x filtered type out there......If you live near Livonia you can get it at The Wine Barrel on Plymouth road west of Middlebelt.....Tell Mark I sent ya....He sells it by the can or by the case.........If you are serious about making BHO do yourself a favor and read the link below....I bought my extraction tube at http://www.okief.com/.......HJ

https://tokecity.com...ad.php4?t=25685

you should bust the camera out and do a DIY for the community Jack?? :)

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

the okief tubes appear to be really good i've heard no complains about them they are also on ebay and there areother brands that are commercially available on ebay. I'd just make sure they are all stainless construction. the best table top version i've ever seen (and actually the site i learned a lot about the butane extraction process from) is the Tamisiume xtractors

http://www.tamisiumextractors.com/tamisium-extractors.htm

closed loop system meaning yes you can do this indoors because you're not blowing butane into the air. their is a recovery add on you can use that will allow you to actually buy the highest grade butane and recover it after each extraction and reuse it. you pay a pretty premium for this luxury though this thing is just over $1,000. if we ever get full blown clearance to open dispensaries I'd be opening one and I'd purchase one of these then.

there are also some really nice hand blown glass one's out there for your bong fanatics who love custom glass. if you're into that kind of stuff look into Gong extractors they seem to be popular.

http://boromarket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3319

one day in the future butane wont even be a conversation topic anymore once things are legal enough to invest into better equipment super critical co2 extraction will be used by dispensaries and I'd probably buy their product before making my own. Those setups start at a min of 25k i've seen and the model's that actually look like they would be worth getting are about 100k, ouch. funny thing is Eden Labs is a major player in super critical co2 extraction and they are in OH and offer a service of doing extractions for you. too bad they dont move a little ways north!

-DN

B.D.T. Pipe and Tobacco Place

21640 John R Rd

Hazel Park, MI 48030

(248) 542-6110

$8 I believe for the large can of 5x butane

Tell them you heard about it from MOCC...

- Faster extraction than alcohol, maybe taste?

- BHO is just washing the trichrome off the plant - like Ice-o-lator or even pollen (kif) sifting. Some extractions methods are better at removing the potent THC off the plant material, example ice-o-lator is more efficent than sifting kif.

-DN

Noman I too am confused about your post about B.D.T. as is puff apparently. in the first post it read as if you were saying they had a bho extractor kit for $8. even if that is what you meant (and now i dont think it is) i dont think you can get a better setup cheaper even doing a diy then my setup.

a turkey baster you just pull the ball off of and if you just wrap screen around the opening it's ready to go right out the box. i just find it much nicer to have legs on it which cost me about $3 with 3 lag bolts and a clamp to hold them in place. personally i would not buy one that does not have legs it would be way to much of a pain. you have to remember dumping that can of BHO at once will make your extractor incredibly cold so cold you can not hold it without gloves. in the first picture of my extractor you can see the frost all along the bottom and i had did a extraction outside about 15 minutes prior and it still had frost on the outside. $3 to not have to grab a glove or oven mit and hold this thing int he air hovering while i push down from above to release the butane is worth every penny.

Archived