BHO (Butane Honey Oil) The Facts (As Str8Dank Sees 'em)

Vector butane is somthing like 45% propane - FYI. So propane is a pretty clean solvent for oil extraction.

'Vector'- Cleanest brand available for making BHO, 5X filtered, I personally wont use any other brand

I find the more items that touch or interact with your BHO the more particulates that get introduced into it. Once my Vector is run through the extraction pipe and is nearly done evaporating in a glass dish (I use warm water method here also), I put the glass dish in a toater oven on 'warm' on the lowest setting of 150 degrees. (**ONCE ALMOST ALL BUTANE HAS EVAPORATED**) Most of the evaporating will be done but you will continue to see tiny bubbles rising to the top slowly in the oil. At 150 degrees you can watch the honey oil fully decarboxilate as the final bit of butane evaporates off, once the 'carbonation looking bubbles' are done the oil will be sitting there still as an inland lake and then you know all the butane is completely out of it and its ready to consume. At this point going right from the warm glass dish directly to your final storage point for your oil is easy also since its warm and will pour out like liquid until it starts to firm up into a honey texture.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

propane and butane cut with propane will smell like propane. It smells bad.

Filtered Butane, like Vector 5x, has no smell - perhaps it was not cut with other gases.

I checked out a yellow can of butane made in china - it smells of propane - so it is not a good idea to use this cheaper butane.

The BHO should smell like hash, not chemicals.

I also do a longer hot water soak - it makes it waxier. I chop, move, and chop the oily texture to release trapped bubbles of butane. I notice the BHO is best after about two weeks of airing out, Waxy, full melt, no residue!

-DN

Homemade Thai Stick recipe -

Put two stems of sativa buds together - since sativa buds are lanky (meaning small buds on several places on the stem) - you match up two stems of buds to make one nice bud. Tie with cotton string.

Make BHO fresh, while it is oily and not waxy (meaning you haven't done the hot water soak yet) - roll the Thai Stick you made in the BHO. it should just cover the outside of the buds, not really soak in. As the oil 'dries, it soaks in.

Hang to dry for about 10 days. The oil should be dry, and not stick to stuff. You now have a potent homemade Thai Stick, a sativa bud rolled in BHO (best if made from trim of the same sativa plant). The med should be VERY potent, very THC. Certainly not for new patients.

I plan on having my Wonder Haze made up into a few of these sticks. How much would you pay for one?

-DN

Homemade Thai Stick recipe -

Put two stems of sativa buds together - since sativa buds are lanky (meaning small buds on several places on the stem) - you match up two stems of buds to make one nice bud. Tie with cotton string.

Make BHO fresh, while it is oily and not waxy (meaning you haven't done the hot water soak yet) - roll the Thai Stick you made in the BHO. it should just cover the outside of the buds, not really soak in. As the oil 'dries, it soaks in.

Hang to dry for about 10 days. The oil should be dry, and not stick to stuff. You now have a potent homemade Thai Stick, a sativa bud rolled in BHO (best if made from trim of the same sativa plant). The med should be VERY potent, very THC. Certainly not for new patients.

I plan on having my Wonder Haze made up into a few of these sticks. How much would you pay for one?

-DN

To get a general idea DN you should weigh the buds prior to the dip and then weigh after, that way you will also know how much oil you adhered to them. Tough sometimes to think of a price on novelty things like this, kudos though, I've only ever thought about making one, would love to see at the bbq a finished one.

I'll be bringing some of my finished BHO

To get a general idea DN you should weigh the buds prior to the dip and then weigh after, that way you will also know how much oil you adhered to them. Tough sometimes to think of a price on novelty things like this, kudos though, I've only ever thought about making one, would love to see at the bbq a finished one.

I'll be bringing some of my finished BHO

Great! I love BHO and hash.

I know that BHO by itself can transfer for $50 to $90 a gram! About 2 ounces of trim(less I think) I can get about 1.5 to 2 grams (its all based on the quality of the trim). And of course, for the cost it takes to make it, and the fact we use trim that would otherwise be discarded - I can't see myself charging $50 to $90 a gram! (purchased BHO stainless steel kit 2oz size - $100, cans of Vector about $8 each, one can per shot, 2 cans for 2oz kit, so really its just $16 a pop to make 1.5 to 2 grams of BHO after the cost of the kit is paid for)(see BDT's smoke shop)

I did small runs of this, just using small buds instead of an entire stick - the oil does increase the weight of the bud. So perhaps a compassionate pricing of $30 - 40 a gram? I would consider this a luxury item and not everyday med for patient needs.

-DN

Or do it inside and don't be a dumb donkey and do it by open flames??? I have done this inside without any issues.

Love me some BHO and I use the same turkey baster, 6 bucks at Bed, Beth and Beyond...

Do yourself a favor and ignore this guy... you don't want to be the one we have to mourn. I can attest to str8dank's method and equipment because I have the same stuff and do it the same way.

Do yourself a favor and ignore this guy... you don't want to be the one we have to mourn. I can attest to str8dank's method and equipment because I have the same stuff and do it the same way.

Of all the explosive gases you can have access to, propane, gasoline, natural gas, etc - Butane is the most explosive, you need less air/gas ratio to setup a nice BOOM! Any motor kicking on, static spark - will set it off.

We don't need another person in the news as some pothead joke that blew himself up. Thats a good way to get BHO banned. "People blow themselves up with it!"

-DN

• 4 weeks later...

Hubby & I do BHO outdoors on the picknic table--we stand with the breeze blowing it away from us and have had no problems!

I would like to ask though-- for use in medibles-- cow would one calculate dosage per serving?

By the amount of bud used to make it-- or grams of the actual BHO?

How much would/do you use for say-- a lolipop?

FYI, if any of you have a Food Saver with the wide mouth attachment... you can put your BHO in a dish and place it in the bottom of a quart jar(warm it with a lighter first, just so ir releases better), and vacuum purge your BHO for the ultimate in "clean"

My BHO has actually gone from a thick tar consistency to that of oily crystals... I used to worry about what it would stick too, now it just rolls up in sticky, grainy ball if I want it too...

Hit it with a lighter and it liquifies.....

Also, in terms of using PVC or other "plastics" it's not in contact with the plastic long enough to strip away enough "bad" chemicals (worse than the tar it already IS) to worry about..

If it where soaking over night, there might be some concern, but in the 5min it might take to process the Butane through a PVC pipe, not a concern in my honest opinion...

My BHO was made in large batches in a 2" PVC pipe about 24" long... Not a single person has ever said anything about odd flavors of any sort, and honestly, I'm not concerned.....

No, mostly they are trying to catch their arse....

• 2 weeks later...

I made up my first batch a few weeks ago. Powerful medicine! A good friend /patient suffers from Crohn"s disease, and I thought that this might be something that she'd like to try. Good intentions, but bad idea! I guess that I didn't warn her enough about the potency. She was curious about the taste, so I got a toothpick out and swiped it into the BHO. After a while we were feeling some effect, and we had a little conversation about ways to use this product. Again, I warned her that this was powerful stuff. Her husband found the jar on the kitchen table and grabbed a spoon. Big mistake! Remember the 911 call about the couple that thought they had overdosed on pot? Well it didn't come to that, but it took him all of twenty four hours to come down. There's a lesson in this. Maybe I should have put a warning label on the vial. We laugh about it now, but I'll be more cautious with it in the future.

FYI, if any of you have a Food Saver with the wide mouth attachment... you can put your BHO in a dish and place it in the bottom of a quart jar(warm it with a lighter first, just so ir releases better), and vacuum purge your BHO for the ultimate in "clean"

My BHO has actually gone from a thick tar consistency to that of oily crystals... I used to worry about what it would stick too, now it just rolls up in sticky, grainy ball if I want it too...

Hit it with a lighter and it liquifies.....

Also, in terms of using PVC or other "plastics" it's not in contact with the plastic long enough to strip away enough "bad" chemicals (worse than the tar it already IS) to worry about..

If it where soaking over night, there might be some concern, but in the 5min it might take to process the Butane through a PVC pipe, not a concern in my honest opinion...

My BHO was made in large batches in a 2" PVC pipe about 24" long... Not a single person has ever said anything about odd flavors of any sort, and honestly, I'm not concerned.....

No, mostly they are trying to catch their arse....

I'd at least upgrade to cpvc (dark grey), it's meant to handle solvents. pvc will get brittle after long term exposure to the cold, pressure and solvent

. Her husband found the jar on the kitchen table and grabbed a spoon. Big mistake! Remember the 911 call about the couple that thought they had overdosed on pot? Well it didn't come to that, but it took him all of twenty four hours to come down. There's a lesson in this. Maybe I should have put a warning label on the vial. We laugh about it now, but I'll be more cautious with it in the future.

Oops. Good thing our plant is safe enough to never harm. :lol:

What did he do? Eat a spoon-full?

Oops. Good thing our plant is safe enough to never harm. :lol:

What did he do? Eat a spoon-full?

Just the end of the spoon full. Enough to make a batch of brownies. He was white like a ghost, and the paranoia was pretty bad. You know the expression "higher than you want to be"? Well he made it there.

Just the end of the spoon full. Enough to make a batch of brownies. He was white like a ghost, and the paranoia was pretty bad. You know the expression "higher than you want to be"? Well he made it there.

Oh yea too much oil in a medible and its more of a psychotic medicated feeling i was on my bed taking a magic carpet ride after i used too much cannabutter in my medibles . :blink:

When i made my first batch of cookies i made 17 cookies out of enough butter for 8 dozen i had no idea of the powerful effect they would have but after the first one i made sure i only ate a 1/4 cookie at a time after that. :lol:

i was on my bed taking a magic carpet ride after i used too much cannabutter in my medibles . :blink:

ROFL. :lol:

Yeah that'll do it. I was joking with a friend who had something like 50g of BHO awhile ago and said to him when he showed it to me all in one nice lil' brick "What if you just ate that whole thing? Could you travel through time or something?"

ROFL. :lol:

Yeah that'll do it. I was joking with a friend who had something like 50g of BHO awhile ago and said to him when he showed it to me all in one nice lil' brick "What if you just ate that whole thing? Could you travel through time or something?"

I know that just a wee bit of BHO straight up can make you feel like you've lost some time. When I got done making it I rubbed some tobacco around in the glass dish and rolled one up. I'm glad that I wasn't going anywhere for awhile.:blink: or maybe I did.:P That was just my trimmings. It's a great alternative for medicating. Much more potent than I'd imagined.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest knucklehead bob

Looking for a company to test oil for impurities & potency. So I know I can stand behind my word

Northern Laboratory Services

North Center Street

Gaylord, MI 49735

northernlabservices.com

northernlabservices@gmail.com

989.390.6376 Thanks Long Hair Bri(oops) , :thumbsu: , go on their site , they have partner drop off locations .

Archived