Oxygen Generator

LITLJON

Has anyone ever used a oxygen generator to air-ate your reservoir? They are capable of putting out up to 93% pure oxygen. How much O2 is to much. I know it will only hold so much? A small unit takes .5kw to 1kw to run at 30 psi which is enough for several res.. Over kill perhaps.

Am familiar with CO2 generators running on propane or natural gas, generating lots and lots of CO2 (enough to flood a warehouse) as well as some ambient heat as well that must be vented. But an oxygen generator? Running on electricity? Generating 93% pure oxygen? Isn't that level of oxygen potentially dangerous to breathe? Makes you light headed-insane like? Or does it dissolve sufficiently in water not to poison the grow room's atmosphere? Is this piece of equipment converted from hospital use? Hospital surplus? I'm willing to learn more.

Am familiar with CO2 generators running on propane or natural gas, generating lots and lots of CO2 (enough to flood a warehouse) as well as some ambient heat as well that must be vented. But an oxygen generator? Running on electricity? Generating 93% pure oxygen? Isn't that level of oxygen potentially dangerous to breathe? Makes you light headed-insane like? Or does it dissolve sufficiently in water not to poison the grow room's atmosphere? Is this piece of equipment converted from hospital use? Hospital surplus? I'm willing to learn more.

Here is a link to a O2 generator. Just grabbed the fist one I saw.

links/pics?

not sure exactly what you are speaking of???

"A small unit takes .5kw to 1kw to run at 30 psi which is enough for several res."

huh?? a 500 - 1000 watt air machine???? seriously?

and 30 psi really isnt squat

30psi is alot for air stones!!! like almost 10 times most air pumps make

I know exactly what your talking about and I have been thinking the same thing. My grandma has one of these. It is a machine that makes o2 instead of using tanks for people on oxygen. It is a short compact unit and you put water in a container and plug it into the wall. My only concern is that I think pure oxygen is explosive or flammable??? Keep this thread going, I am interested in the outcome!

Adding pure O2 is an established technology for increasing biological growth in an situation that could be similar to a DWC set up.

I worked in the wastewater treatment industry for a number of years. One of the principle processes used for treating wastewater is one they refer to as secondary treatment. For this process they use micro organisms to consume the "bad stuff" (technical term) in wastewater. To speed up the process they have developed a multitude of technologies to get O2 to the microbes. The most basic technique is to have huge airstones that pump air into a large (swimming pool size) take of wastewater. At the extreme end of the technology is a proprietary process (UNOX) owned by Union Carbide in which they pump pure O2 into the wastewater.

http://www.google.com/search?q=unox+wastewater+treatment&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=unox+wastewater+treatment&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=qiG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=iv&ei=_ewCTduvCsugnwfr6anlDQ&start=10&sa=N&fp=9996b317d3cf2d50

It is certainly possible that adding pure O2 could be more effective than just an airstone in a DWC set up. That said, I have never seen any reports of anyone using pure O2 in an agricultural environment.

Should work fine, but I would tame it back a bit and not push all that it can, rather drop down the psi so the o2 just trickles into the rez. O2 is very explosive and it would not be a good thing to have a small propane, or whathaveyou, fire running to provide c02 to the plant. I would keep the rez well removed from anything else, lights, outlets, electrical, anything that could spark or ignite a fire, and trickle the o2 through an air stone. I don't know if I would run it 24/7 either, as the water, depending on it's temp, can only hold so much 02. So if you push too much, it will just leak out and could cause a problem if it's leaking during the light cycle and your plant is hoping for c02, and getting 02 instead. Just some of my thoughts on this, and I could be way off, but I'm not. lol Hope this helps, just don't want to see anyone get hurt. Please be careful.

I don't know for sure about an o2 generator but I remember a guy back a few years ago who was on some of the international forums called krusty using big pumps making enough air in his buckets that there was so much o2 being pumped it made an air foamy froth at the top of his buckets. Seems to work for him, but his grow style was pretty unrealistic for most people.

I don't know for sure about an o2 generator but I remember a guy back a few years ago who was on some of the international forums called krusty using big pumps making enough air in his buckets that there was so much o2 being pumped it made an air foamy froth at the top of his buckets. Seems to work for him, but his grow style was pretty unrealistic for most people.

Not a volume thing but O2 enrichment

Perhaps only in the flush stage? Any links to root bioligy for dummies?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived