#1 69AARVIPER

69AARVIPER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationMichigan-Grand Rapids Area

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:10 PM

The cool has been very bad for tea brewing :growl: !
Its not BREWING for me!
Frustrating

#2 MightyMightyMezz

MightyMightyMezz

Revolution of Consciousness

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationParts Unknown

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

I make mine by mixing castings, guano and kelp in a bucket, adding water and molasses and let it get bubbled by an air pump. I use it anywhere from 24-72 hours after beginning. What makes you think yours isn't brewing, viper?

Edited by MightyMightyMezz, 31 December 2010 - 12:33 PM.

#3 69AARVIPER

69AARVIPER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:59 PM

I make mine by mixing castings, guano and kelp in a bucket, adding water and molasses and let it get bubbled by an air pump. I use it anywhere from 24-72 hours after beginning. What makes you think yours isn't brewing, viper?

Well its always Bubbled up and Bio-slimed out Very well.
But had 2 batches in a row now that did/would not finish out for me?
Only thing thats changed is it getting colder in the brew room/Veggie?
And does not get that nice Earthy smell it kinda stinks like i dumped that molasses on the floor Strong! Man!
Thanks for recipe !:thumbsu:

#4 1337Gr33n

1337Gr33n

Faded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

Mezz, would you please share some more detail? I'd love to hear about what types of Guano and portions, and whether the Kelp you use is powdered or liquid. if you prefer to PM me with that info, i'd still love to hear it.

#5 MightyMightyMezz

MightyMightyMezz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationParts Unknown

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:22 PM

Mezz, would you please share some more detail? I'd love to hear about what types of Guano and portions, and whether the Kelp you use is powdered or liquid. if you prefer to PM me with that info, i'd still love to hear it.

My current method uses the same ingredients for veg and flower except for the guano. Worm castings (1-0-0,) kelp (1-0-2) and molasses are added to every batch. Vegging plants get Peruvian seabird guano (10-10-2.) Budding plants get the Peruvian seabird also for the first two to three weeks of flower. Then they get Jamaican bat guano (.5-12-2) until the last week or two of flowering when the plants get straight water to finish. The kelp is in a rough powder form, just little bits of kelp.

As far as amounts I don't exactly know. :lol: Usually about a tablespoon of castings, a teaspoon of kelp and a tablespoon of guano with a couple tablespoons of molasses, but it is variable. A little goes a long way with teas. Very inexpensive way to feed plants.

I am actually looking for alternatives to guano since I read about the environmental destruction the industry causes in places that produce it. In Peru in the 19th century they had islands that were several stories high with guano. Now workers have to scratch it out of the sand. Caves are getting destroyed, it's not good. Compost is good, but I don't know about for flowering.

Edited by MightyMightyMezz, 31 December 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#6 mizerman

mizerman

Long Haired Country Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationDetroit Zoo

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:32 PM

Highly educational.

Here I was thinking you were talking about "Sophie's Tea" from the movie Grandma's Boy...

Mizerman

#7 Bisharoo

Bisharoo

Audio/Visual Expansionist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere out there, between dimensions...

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:34 PM

I hope you wash your hands afterward handling these guanos MMM!Posted Image

#8 MightyMightyMezz

MightyMightyMezz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationParts Unknown

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:42 PM

Eww dude!

#9 69AARVIPER

69AARVIPER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

My current method uses the same ingredients for veg and flower except for the guano. Worm castings (1-0-0,) kelp (1-0-2) and molasses are added to every batch. Vegging plants get Peruvian seabird guano (10-10-2.) Budding plants get the Peruvian seabird also for the first two to three weeks of flower. Then they get Jamaican bat guano (.5-12-2) until the last week or two of flowering when the plants get straight water to finish. The kelp is in a rough powder form, just little bits of kelp.

As far as amounts I don't exactly know. :lol: Usually about a tablespoon of castings, a teaspoon of kelp and a tablespoon of guano with a couple tablespoons of molasses, but it is variable. A little goes a long way with teas. Very inexpensive way to feed plants.

I am actually looking for alternatives to guano since I read about the environmental destruction the industry causes in places that produce it. In Peru in the 19th century they had islands that were several stories high with guano. Now workers have to scratch it out of the sand. Caves are getting destroyed, it's not good. Compost is good, but I don't know about for flowering.

Pretty close too what im doing.

I like to Seperatly give @ flower add a little Big Up !

I agree Does not get that monster bud with just! Bat Turds Soup :sword:

#10 gardenlover

gardenlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 12:42 AM

Dose it smell like rotten crap or just another strong smell? If it smells like sulfur or bogy marshland then the bacteria that dominate the tea are probably anaerobic, and should not be used. If this is what you smell do you think that there is something wrong with the air pump or stone? have you used the air stone in the past with synthetics? I have done this before and it didn't smell rotten but also did not show signs of many micro beasties either. I have also tried to use too much guano, kelp, fish emulsion ect. and it dose not brew well and turns anaerobic quickly. What are the temps on your tea, maybe try and put a heating mat under half of the bucket. Just some ideas, hope you get it sorted soon.

I like your tea recipe mighty mighty mezz

#11 MatthewMatics

MatthewMatics

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:57 AM

I grow using all organic nutrients, but have yet to make a tea. What kind of system do you use to brew it?

#12 AbsoluteRoyal

AbsoluteRoyal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 08:52 AM

I grow using all organic nutrients, but have yet to make a tea. What kind of system do you use to brew it?

5 gallon bucket with a small airstone in the bottom for me

1/2 cup EW casting, 1/2 cup ground alfalfa pellets with 1 Tbl molasses all in 5 gallons of water. leave it for close to 2 days with an air stone. Then filter (I use a cone shaped colander) and water when ready. This is the full strength version so use 1/2 amounts to start off with, especially if already on a nutrient regimen.

#13 1337Gr33n

1337Gr33n

Faded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

That is really cool Mezz. how long do you bubble before feeding? Are you using RO water? Do you use any Micorrhiza? Knowing your preferences, do you prefer an organic black strap molasses? any preferred brand?

#14 1337Gr33n

1337Gr33n

Faded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

For my soil grow(Happy Frog), i use Age Old Kelp, Age Old Grow, Age Old Bloom, and Earth Juice Catalyst. I brew the catalyst and Kelp with the Oregonism grow or bloom for about 5 hours or so before feeding while bubbling the gallon of water i have added the amendments to.
I usually feed feed water for my pattern (generally). Because of the multistrain nature of my grow, i have to adjust how much nutrient rich water and how much plain water for each individual flowering plant. In veg, they get feed feed water, as well as a light Kelp and water foliar spritz as often as possible.

#15 MightyMightyMezz

MightyMightyMezz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationParts Unknown

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

That is really cool Mezz. how long do you bubble before feeding? Are you using RO water? Do you use any Micorrhiza? Knowing your preferences, do you prefer an organic black strap molasses? any preferred brand?

Anywhere from one to three days of bubbling. Water is from the tap until I get a filter. I just draw it the night before and let it sit.

Haven't added any mycorrhizae products yet. My friend has some Humboldt Nutrients mycorrhizae I want to try out.

I just get whatever organic molasses they have at the store.

#16 1337Gr33n

1337Gr33n

Faded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 04:38 PM

that whole Humboldt line really intrigues me. if i had more money in the budget for changing grow stuff, and i stuck with soil, i would want to try that line. I am about to start a DWC bucket, and am a lil trepidatious.

#17 gardenlover

gardenlover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

has anyone tried to use natural maple syrup as a replacement for molasses. I just picked up some and am going ot test it out. it has lower values of calcium and iron so I will need to use a bit more I would guess. The lable dose not say anything about magnesium so I think this part may be lacking but not sure? Anyone know about maple surip? all they do it boil it down right? I just want to make sure its an organic process and to see if there is any Mg in there just not on the label.

I will probably mix molasses and the maple surip together and see how that works.

#18 uhphrayed

uhphrayed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

Organics for Beginners

Recipe #3 is on organic teas, you won't need this until flowering (or at all) if your soil already has stuff mixed into it, so be sure to find out whats in your soil before you possibly burn your plants!

#19 Gravity

Gravity

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

I just picked up some pre-made concentrated teas from ebay.

http://stores.ebay.c...untain-Organics

Haven't tried them yet but found some good reviews on other sites.

#20 MightyMightyMezz

MightyMightyMezz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationParts Unknown

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:50 PM

1337, now that I think about it I have mycorrizae already in the form of fresh homemade worm castings. I've been feeding them scraps for nine months and am now able to harvest castings at will. Today I made one of my first teas with homemade ewc plus I added it to the medium during a transplant today. Hopefully they go crazy about it. I'm pretty sure it's way better than store-bought ewc, probably because it can only harbor far greater beneficial bacterial/fungal growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users