Any One Use Organic Tea ?

69AARVIPER

The sugars are deff there in honey, I would think there is a bit of mg and cal but not as much as molasses. I have also used maple syrup, the mg and cal are not as good as Molasses but it is close enough to substitute for a bit I would think, I think there is more cal mag in this than honey if you have some.

Edited by gardenlover

just a note about using honey.. honey is known for its anti bacterial property's in health circles. so even though it does have natural sugars it is counter productive in a bacterial culture. corn syrup would be a decent alternative.

I am brewing an experimental batch right now. heres the run down.

to start I am using about a 1/4 cup compost juice, 1/4 cup oatmeal juice(organic, not packet). table spoon corn sugar. in four gallons of well water. Thats day one. I use a small water pump instead of an air stone, lots of water movement and it keeps the temp at about 68. I have heard that it is good to varie the temp for different strains of bacteria. so I move it from the basement floor up to a work table at random intervals. The oat meal juice is to feed myco activity.

Day two I added about a 1/2 cup of worm castings (fresh) into a coffee filter with a twist tie for 4 hours a few big drops of molasses less than a table spoon I am guessing. now I will let it brew for another day and use it up.

just thought I'd share my idea's with ya'll. I wish I had a microscope to take a look at it to see how active things become through out the cycles.

The bud swell would go a lot further if you you used it to inoculate an aerated tea all you need is some molasses and an airstone or powerhead/pump and 48 hours time. but some people have more money than time, while others have more time than money.

Edited by Glacier Hills

GH, I bet your stuff taist exelent by the sounds of it. Do you know the valure for sugar? any-micro nuts like molasses? I have often wondered if i added more sugar without the extra micros if make a big difference and when was too much. I usually just try stuff and see that way but I am sick of waiting for my plants to come out of a coma when I try a new treatment. I go big most of the time and most of the time that mentality dose not go well with growing as you would guess. Also hows your pump setup? I have heard of pumps (some) that will beat the microbes to death if too violent. I also want to get a microscope and should have the money for one eventually. That is the best way to see if the tea brews are in fact vital I would guess.

Idica J, I have almost bout that stuff numerous times. I am kinda tired of doing special blends with 4-5 ingredients two time every week. Do you make a tea with it or just apply? How does the final product taste.

just a note about using honey.. honey is known for its anti bacterial property's in health circles. so even though it does have natural sugars it is counter productive in a bacterial culture. corn syrup would be a decent alternative.

I am brewing an experimental batch right now. heres the run down.

to start I am using about a 1/4 cup compost juice, 1/4 cup oatmeal juice(organic, not packet). table spoon corn sugar. in four gallons of well water. Thats day one. I use a small water pump instead of an air stone, lots of water movement and it keeps the temp at about 68. I have heard that it is good to varie the temp for different strains of bacteria. so I move it from the basement floor up to a work table at random intervals. The oat meal juice is to feed myco activity.

Day two I added about a 1/2 cup of worm castings (fresh) into a coffee filter with a twist tie for 4 hours a few big drops of molasses less than a table spoon I am guessing. now I will let it brew for another day and use it up.

just thought I'd share my idea's with ya'll. I wish I had a microscope to take a look at it to see how active things become through out the cycles.

The bud swell would go a lot further if you you used it to inoculate an aerated tea all you need is some molasses and an airstone or powerhead/pump and 48 hours time. but some people have more money than time, while others have more time than money.

The anti bacterial properties of honey are easily overcome by water. They work by dehydration, so honey in water works well. I have heard raw sugars work, and malt extract, and some fruit juices work as microbe food........shredder

Hey guys, anyone looking to make teas fairly inexpensively might want to check out alfalfa meal. Around me it is $12 for 50lb at the farm/feed store. You can also use alfalfa pellets, (rabbit food) just make sure they don't have added salt as some do. Anyway your teas only need about a tsp of alfalfa meal per gallon, along with ewc and molasses. The alfalfa is usually around 3-2-2 in npk, and has growth hormones in it. You can use the tea as a soil drench or as a foliar spray, both work well. But filter and dilute the spray. As a spray I see new growth in a day or so. For molasses, I have been using earth juice high brix, it is fairly cheap by the gallon, but if your operation is small, split a gallon with a friend it will last forever, it really smells great and works very well. You have to be careful with some of the blackstrap as they sometimes have a lot of salt/sodium.

Another cheap but great tea is made with fish hydroslate. Fish hydroslate is much better than fish emulsion. Fish emulsion has the oils removed in a hot process, and the hydroslate is made in a cold process and does not have the oils removed. So it makes for better microbe food. So make up a tea with one tsp of fish, one of molasses, and a small amount of kelp concentrate, or get neptune's harvest with both fish and kelp already in it. Another very nice product and less stinky than fish emulsion. Anyway another cheap nutrient/microbe rich tea.

My favorite everyday easy tea is just ewc and molasses bubbled 24 hours. Plants love it, it's simple to make and hard to scew up, and if you have heavily amended soil, you really don't need nutrients as much.

If your sailing along and then for some reason you have trouble, try a top dress with ewc, followed by a soaking of compost/ewc tea. It has been said it is like hitting a reset switch on a plant. I do it routinely at the start of flowering.

Shredder

Edit I forgot to mention these teas are great for starting new soil mixes to cook, or get the microbes actively eating......

Edited by Shredder

• 11 months later...

Hi guys. I have been growing Organically for about 6 months now. I have been using Super Soil that I mix at home and then supplementing it with aerated teas. Although they say that you shouldn't have to do anything but water with plain ph'd water I have found that it is much better to also supplement with a tea once a week. I used to use the Full Fox Farm line until i stumbled across the recipe for the Super Soil. I go with a classic flowering tea of Worm castings, FoxFarm Peace of Mind, Soft Rock Phosphates, Molasses, Jamaican Bat Guano and Maxicrop in the first half and then finish with a fungus dominant tea in the last half consisting of Worm Castings, Mushroom Compost, Rolled Oats, Kelp Meal and Soft Rock Phosphates. I have had no issues with deficiencies and my strains and never been better. The taste and yield far exceeded my expectations. I will never go back to chemicals again.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried honey and it doesn't foam like molasses but maybe theres still activity.

The mixture i use is 1/3 cup wc(in a sock, placed over airstone), 1 tblsp molasses(deer molasses is the cheapest found it for $12 a GALLON at TSC), 2 tsp alfalfa meal, and 1 tsp kelp meal. If I need more nitrogen i'll add a tsp of cotton seed meal and a tsp of mayan mycozyme b/c i have it sittin around. I also have a small aqaurium heater, it keeps temps around 70. Takes about 24-48 hours brewing.

Aerated compost tea has made a huge difference in the health of my plants.

Been experimenting with a lot of recipes and have settled on this one for now.

I use it in both veg and flower, soil drench and foliar spray every 10 days or so.

3 gallons de-chlorinated water

3/4 cup EWC from my vermicomposter

2 tablespoons biodynamic manure innoculant

3 teaspoons water soluble sea kelp

3 tablespoons Fox Farm 5-5-5 dry fert (mix of guanos and meals)

3 teaspoons Azomite

3 tablespoons insect frass

3 tablespoons molasses

Bubble for 24 hours. I use roughly one cup ACT to every gallon water.

mycorrhizae works great, friend turned me onto that and it definitely makes a huge difference Mizer. Plants are bigger but more importantly the buds are noticeably larger. Your recipe for tea compost is almost the same as another friend gave me, haven't tried the tea yet have to get a few more things for it

Wow, you can buy frass? I can find it in the summer, but 2 tablespoons would be a lot to procure. Wow, what will they do next? Good post EP.

Peace...

Thanks!

The insect frass came in a 2 lb bag at my local gardening store.

It's a natural 2-2-2 fert and has a boatload of microbeasties and fungi that go crazy when you bubble them in tea.