Homemade Tincture Cooker

Found this West Bend four quart cooker at a garage sale this last fall. I have two patients that use green dragon for neuralgia and wanted something better then using the stove top.

gallery_1942_553_42249.jpg

I tossed the plastic top and cut a hole in the bottom of the pan just big enough for a pint mason jar to fit.

gallery_1942_553_146728.jpg

I used a couple of paper clamps to hold the lid in place while cooking.

gallery_1942_553_72479.jpg

There's no flame so alcohol based tinctures are safe to cook without worry of fire. The temperature control lets you set it at the perfect temps you need. You could easily put two holes in the bottom to double your product.

Guest Happy Guy

Very nice work on the DIY ISO. You have basically the same machine as the ISO 2 invented in the 70's. There are still a few that come up for sale. This is a great thing for those that can't find one or afford the expensive newly invented glass units costing around $900.

• 1 year later...

Ok so im a little confused should you cook your tincture? i was alway taught to just let it evaporate after the alchahol soaks for 20 day .... is this a differant way to just do that or dose it help with the final product... any imput would be great i have a patient that needs something stronger than butter that works faster so i started making tincture this way if there a better way i would love to know.....

THNAKS DR.GT :drinking-coffee:

Ok so im a little confused should you cook your tincture? i was alway taught to just let it evaporate after the alchahol soaks for 20 day .... is this a differant way to just do that or dose it help with the final product... any imput would be great i have a patient that needs something stronger than butter that works faster so i started making tincture this way if there a better way i would love to know.....

THNAKS DR.GT :drinking-coffee:

If there is no heating the resulting tincture will not be orally active, no psychoactive effects.

The heating decarboxylizes the thc, making it orally active. Unheated tincture will still have effects; calming antianxiety, pain reducing, and antioxident, but not much buzz. For the right situation/patient this can a plus.

I had a patient who did not want to be high, and got acceptable results a no buzz tincture ( bubble hash dissolved in everclear), non-decarboxylized.

That slow cooker looks very impressive and I'm sure works well, but I find a coffee maker also does the job without modification, and requires no explanation to nosey relatives.

And please do not forget to vent well enough, or just work outside if possible.

R

Archived