Canna Pet Treats?

I have an adopted Dog that came with prescription xanax for anxiety attacks associated with Thunder and Lightening Storms. I will definitely be trying some Doggie Treats for him when I can. This Has to be a more humane way to do it. Right now when it storms he tries to climb the walls, tables, anything higher up than him. He jumps at the light like he is trying to get to it. Then we have to hold him until we can get him to ingest the legally prescribed drug mixed with some cheese. I am pretty sure he would much rather eat a biscuit instead.

Is this thread explaining why shaggy always ate scooby snacks too???

Really tho, animals love pot...there is a study done (ill try and find the link) that animals would go back into rooms where they were exposed to second hand cannabis smoke, opposed to rooms where they were not. but those were just scientists...what do they know!? lol.

be careful giving pets butter, my vet says that it is really hard on their organs (I think kidneys). Before giving them much, I would ask my vet what would happen if my dog ate 2 tblsp of butter every day... It isn't good for them. The same vet did say that small amounts of trim wouldn't hurt them, they just might get a little silly for a while.

Some trim or sugar leaf on the floor, well, that's OK, some cookies made the right way without butter (if you notice, most dog treat recipes don't call for butter) would be OK. Just keep dosing in mind, a 1 oz piece of cheese to a 20 lb dog is like 2 whole cheeseburgers to a normal person. (something like that, I know it is a lot more than you wold expect).

If someone were to start doing this, start slow and increase dosing until the symptoms subside, your not tryign to get your dog stoned, you are trying to alleviate pain.

Cedar

be careful giving pets butter, my vet says that it is really hard on their organs (I think kidneys). Before giving them much, I would ask my vet what would happen if my dog ate 2 tblsp of butter every day... It isn't good for them. The same vet did say that small amounts of trim wouldn't hurt them, they just might get a little silly for a while.

Some trim or sugar leaf on the floor, well, that's OK, some cookies made the right way without butter (if you notice, most dog treat recipes don't call for butter) would be OK. Just keep dosing in mind, a 1 oz piece of cheese to a 20 lb dog is like 2 whole cheeseburgers to a normal person. (something like that, I know it is a lot more than you wold expect).

If someone were to start doing this, start slow and increase dosing until the symptoms subside, your not tryign to get your dog stoned, you are trying to alleviate pain.

Cedar

Thanks we had been using cheese to wrap his meds to get him to take them. :thumbsu:

Make sure you don't give them anything with chocolate, that can kill a dog. Here is a recipe adapted from a regular dog treat recipe.

Homemade Liver Brownies

2 lbs chicken livers

2 C corn meal

2 C wheat germ

2 eggs

2 1/2 tsp. granulated garlic (not salt)

1/2 C dried cannabis

Liquefy livers in food processor, pour into mixing bowl and add other ingredients. Mix until smooth like a brownie batter. Spread on a cookie sheet (1/2 sheet cake size) (I use parchment paper to line the pan) until it's evenly spread about 1/3 inch thick. Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes. When cool cut into squares, or whatever shapes you prefer. I keep them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

Bone Appetit

Make sure you don't give them anything with chocolate, that can kill a dog. Here is a recipe adapted from a regular dog treat recipe.

Homemade Liver Brownies

2 lbs chicken livers

2 C corn meal

2 C wheat germ

2 eggs

1/2 C dried cannabis

Liquefy livers in food processor, pour into mixing bowl and add other ingredients. Mix until smooth like a brownie batter. Spread on a cookie sheet (1/2 sheet cake size) (I use parchment paper to line the pan) until it's evenly spread about 1/3 inch thick. Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes. When cool cut into squares, or whatever shapes you prefer. I keep them in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

Bone Appetit

Thanks, Wild Bill I will try those when I get a chance.

I have to honestly say it was only a matter of time before the animal and cannbis thread came up.. Ive been wondering myself about treats and dosing..

Our animals in not only the past yrs but recent fur kids have all "liked" being around it.. weve had dogs that practically sit on your lap while your trying to medicate.. wont leave ya alone.. we have one inparticular right now.. hes so damd hyperactive that its almost as if he knows it calms his anxiety and he can actually lie down for a while lol..

Now, we've had numerous pets die of cancer, have to be put down.. and most times we could not afford the astronomical vet bills to not only diagnose that it WAS cancer (despite the apparent tumors) but to then treat it.. thousands of dollars later... So it honestly stands to reason that if this medicine is helpful to humans its only ignorance and uneducation that leads others to think it cruel and inhumane to administer to animals.. Realistically id rather them naturals then the synthetics and essentially you wont have to spend thousands for drugs and tests etc.. we love our animals but they make it just as difficult to care for them as it is to care for ourselves..esp with health care and essentially is f'ed up..

And really it only takes someone or a few someones with the proper knowledge of chemistry and measurments corrosponding with varied weights and metabolisms to come up with a proper formula to administer the proper amount of meds for the animal.. its no different from the very ways they do it with synthetics.. go by weight b reak it down and viola.. NOW its finding those people with the knowledges and abilities to figure this out and spread the info to others.. anyone know of anyone willing to research this? ;) would be well worth it.. after all most our animals ar just other members of the family..

contrary to some of the cold and pathetic people in this world that simply dont care about animals.. I could name names but anyone who read all the above comments can decipher a few of whom im talking about...

Also i realize that its generally known that choclate is bad for dogs.. ive heard that since i can remember.. but its ironic that every single dog weve ever owned be it as a kid growing up, other family members, and even those upon living on my own have always had chocolate (within moderation) and never onc e have we had any problems.. Ive even had dogs steal candy stashes and eat the whole bag of choclates wrappers and all and still be fine.. These are various breeds, various sizes and most all of them lived to old ages.. and by old im talking about into the 14-18 yrs old ranges.. So contrary to popular belief.. I dont follow that rule personally! but its your choice..

Its funny too cuz OD wanted to kill my cat quite a few times in the past for eating "girls" she had no buisness near!!!! lmao... yupp chonk chonk chonk trust me - wasnt happy-- however flip side shes never gotten ill, she didnt get all messed up nothing... so this cruel and inhumane to animals is a load a BIG LOAD!!!! :)

This is a good posting.,.. hope to hear more about what people think and recommend.. And im sure the more doors that open to study of this medicine the more knowledge we will one day recieve on even the animal forefront..

If anyone gets the scientific formula down to dosages and weight etc please pass along... its ignorant to think there isnt one... it just hasnt been found yet im sure :)

peace and love to all including our fur, feathered and scaled friends.. :)

Shining

Edited by shiningheartwoman

Also i realize that its generally known that choclate is bad for dogs.. ive heard that since i can remember.. but its ironic that every single dog weve ever owned be it as a kid growing up, other family members, and even those upon living on my own have always had chocolate (within moderation) and never onc e have we had any problems.. Ive even had dogs steal candy stashes and eat the whole bag of choclates wrappers and all and still be fine.. These are various breeds, various sizes and most all of them lived to old ages.. and by old im talking about into the 14-18 yrs old ranges.. So contrary to popular belief.. I dont follow that rule personally! but its your choice..

We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate it will kill him". We'll how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,

Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.

Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.

Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:

1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate

1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate

1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability

Hyper irritability

Increased heart rate

Restlessness

Increased urination

Muscle tremors

Vomiting

Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. And the half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc..) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the the proper treatment for your pet.

Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs

• 2 weeks later...

i read in a couple of different books that marijuana was toxic for dogs and cats, but how does that explain the medical benefits that some of your pets are receiving for mmj?? maybe the people who wrote the books didnt know what they were talking about, but then alll their other information fits with everything else that i have read and believe to be the truth. boy am i confused about it now. i mean my dog eats every roach that she can find, she has even picked them out of an ashtray and she has never gotten sick, but then shems never gotten more than two roaches either.

• 1 month later...

Inhuman for dogs... BAH...

My dog loves it... How could I possibly deny him something he loves so much... silly...

Thanks for the dog treat recipe, I'll be trying that out soon, my boy is all but blind now, going deaf, and coughing a lot, so the smoke is a problem...

inhuman for dogs... lol... I think it's up to the DOG, not the HUMAN society.. don't you... lol...

My two dogs HATE thunderstorms and fireworks. I think it is more cruel to not dose them when they are in that panicked state.

They spent the holiday weekend medicated and much more relaxed. Just don't give too much or yeah, they'll throw up and lose all bladder control.

We found out this when we left a chunk of butter on the counter to thaw and one of the counter surfers got a hold of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

my bullie has sever skin issues,I have been making a topical oil for hi and it clears it up the nest day,I also give him canna oil a couple tbls every other day mixed with brewers yeast in a bowl he gobbles that right up nd his coat and skin have NEVER looked better

Hey Wolfgang! Can you share your topical oil recipe? My bouvier had a hot spot on his face that the vet said was an allergic reaction to something most likely outside. After 2 weeks of anti-biotic, the hot spot was smaller, but not gone. The day after the anti-biotic ran out, the spot started to grow again. I tried some canna-oil that was gifted to me. I applied it to the hot spot at night. The next day the spot was in total reversal. The skin was not thick or seeping, the open parts were scabbed over. It was an amazing result from only one application. I have since given two more treatments yesterday and today the spot looks great.

I would like to make some of my own topical oil in case this happens again.

Homemade Liver Brownies

2 lbs chicken livers

2 C corn meal

2 C wheat germ

2 eggs

1/2 C dried cannabis

Bone Appetit

Thanks for this Recipe Wild Bill, I want to try it for our pooches. Sounds healthy with that wheat germ too.

Hey Wolfgang! Can you share your topical oil recipe? My bouvier had a hot spot on his face that the vet said was an allergic reaction to something most likely outside. After 2 weeks of anti-biotic, the hot spot was smaller, but not gone. The day after the anti-biotic ran out, the spot started to grow again. I tried some canna-oil that was gifted to me. I applied it to the hot spot at night. The next day the spot was in total reversal. The skin was not thick or seeping, the open parts were scabbed over. It was an amazing result from only one application. I have since given two more treatments yesterday and today the spot looks great.

I would like to make some of my own topical oil in case this happens again.

I second that, please share the recipe! One of our dogs has severe itching & don't know why. Next step is testing for allergies. Would be nice if we could do something to relieve the itching for him other than monthly steroid shots (prednisone or whatever it is).

• 1 month later...

High all,

My buddy Ruzz-T loves medicating with me... He also has some interesting cataracts shaped like Peace signs, a torn ACL, arthritis and gennerally is just gettin old... He's such a good boy... Had a rough life before I rescued him from the Pound...

So I ask, what about making Canna-Pet treats?

Usually, after hashing meds, I drop the leftovers in the crock-pot and make butter/oil with it...

What I was THINKING IS...

After making butter/oil, couldn't the roughage/fiber easily be used in beneficial medical treats for our 4 legged friends.. ???

If so, what sort of recipes would we be talkin about??

I thank you and Ruzz-T thanks you..

gallery_11199_188_26694.jpg

We have made custom dog treats before the people & dog loved it. I hear it helped the dogs hips lots. sorry I cant find the recipe right now but hope to post it soon. So dogs should not eat too much human food & some not at all like chocolate. putting rso into a soft treat works too. Heard a person used canna goat milk for a cat. strange but it works. now dose I would say 1mg thc per 10 pounds. if you are going to measure dose you need to test your oil milk or edibles, we use cannalytics they are great.

MedHead

Well, as a little update, my Buddy Ruzz-T has been coughing a lot lately, the beginning of Congestive Heart Failure.. :thumbsd:

His heart is swollen to over 1/3 natural size has been pressing on his esophagus causing the coughing, and the coughing is causing calcification of his airway..

He's been on a anti-inflammatory and Lasix to try and curb some of the issues, the coughing is subsiding...

That being said, it makes it more and more difficult for me to blow medication in his face, as it makes him cough, like it does me sometimes...

Animal Cruelty.. ok, so i'm cruel... :lol:

Oh poor baby. My dog didn't like it until I found some of the fruity ones. Wow he goes crazy over it. I use the vap and set it on the floor, I turn on the fan and it gives him a bit and he sleeps well.

i read in a couple of different books that marijuana was toxic for dogs and cats, but how does that explain the medical benefits that some of your pets are receiving for mmj?? maybe the people who wrote the books didnt know what they were talking about, but then alll their other information fits with everything else that i have read and believe to be the truth. boy am i confused about it now. i mean my dog eats every roach that she can find, she has even picked them out of an ashtray and she has never gotten sick, but then shems never gotten more than two roaches either.

I bet they gave them very large doses of it like they do mice. Hard to rely on a lot of that info at times. I think if you make sure you don't give them too much at a time there is no harm. I am thankful my little sweeties can get some sort of relief.

• 2 months later...

I know this is an older thread, but did you guys see this!? The first medical marijuana medication for pets....apparently for sale in dispensaries in CA. I will try to get my hands on some to give to my old Rottie and report back to the forum with the results.

http://www.companioncannabis.com/

post-32132-0-06016700-1341102620_thumb.jpg

Sounds like a simple glycerin tincture. There is a great recipe for it here:

http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/65/entry-147-glycerin-tincture/