Fox Farms Ocean Forest Ph Issues?

Daddy Nothing

So I have two White Widows entering their third week of flower in 3-gallon pots with Fox Farm Ocean Forest...and I've got to say I've been having insane pH issues! About a week and a half ago I was noticing lockout (which turned out to be my fault, accidentally gave them two waterings with water of too high a pH) so I flushed both plants with h20 adjusted to 6.8, that being the pH that was recommended for me to use for Ocean Forest. For a few days after the flush the plants seemed to be looking better, leaves regaining color, buds began to really develop and begin to pack on some crystals (at two weeks!). But, two days ago I began to notice the symptoms of calcium deficiency, spreading fast. The last two nights in a row at lights out I've given a foliar spray of Cal/Mag, but this did nothing to solve or even slow down the problem. In the past two days the symptoms have overtaken nearly the entire plant, and after a watering (at 6.8) now my run-off is coming out in the low 5's! Hoping to correct this I leached the soil with a few gallons of h20 adjusted to the mid 7's...with no effect on the run-off. Has anyone else had similar problems with Ocean Forest, and what did you do to correct this? It's kind of an emergency, since at the rate these symptoms are spreading, I don't know if my babies will last a week. I also have a Casey Jones also in Ocean Forest at 8 days of flowering and another Casey I was planning to pop in there next week, both plants are vigorous green and healthy but I feel like the chit-storm could open up on them at any time. To lose all these plants would strike me a major blow, so I would also love some advice on preventive measures for those two plants that have yet to experience any problems. I mean, maybe they'll be fine but, I'm rather nervous about it.

Ugh. I should have stuck to Pro-Mix....

Edited by Daddy Nothing

Ugh. I should have stuck to Pro-Mix....

You totally just answered your question with that last sentence. I too tried to venture off and try out the ocean forrest. I ran into the same problems with major ph fluctuation. Luckily I was still in veg, and after trying out multiple adjustments and flushes i said F it,I got as much of the ocean forrest off as possible with very careful root pruning, and transplanted them into new containers with promix. After about 3 weeks of zero growth from the shock, they rebounded quite nicely and produced some very potent product. I dont know if this would be a good option for you since you are a few weeks into flower. One thing I can tell you, if you are having cal-mag issues and the foliar feed isnt showing any improvement you need to water it in to your plants. I would give them a nice flush with ph adjusted water and then with the last gallon you use give them a nice dose of cal mag. Best of luck

If it means anything my ww fades early in flower. I use ffof 2-1 with roots organic.

I don't think it's because the ff is too hot. you would have noticed problems in veg.

My cut of ww will tolerate no nutes when in the ffarm. It's just too much. I feed them once & it resulted in lockout & the symptoms you describe. I flushed them and they survived but yield was diminished.

It's sad when the kids get sick, best of luck to you. hope you figure it out.

• 1 month later...

I'm done with ocean forest! I love it for about 3 years I tried to start some seedlings 3 times in the last 3 months and all 3 got brown spot as soon as I put them in ocean forest all I gave them was plain water one time when I tranplanted them in to the o.f.! Three days later brown spots!!

http://www.rollitup.org/indoor-growing/412002-would-you-go-ph.html this link is to my posting about it and here another guy with o.f. pph issues!http://www.rollitup.org/marijuana-plant-problems/305201-fox-farms-ocean-forest-low.html I'm going to go with sunshine mix 4 I just put some seeds in L.Worrior and then got some sunshine mix so I put some seeds in the sunshine mix the seeds are doing better in sunshine than in the light warrior. Now on l.w. for me!!! You can put your seeds in it on day one with no worries! You can get under a MH light sooner!!!! Everywhere else I'm MrGhettoGrower!!!

Edited by MrNatural

Yep you'll have to run a fair amount of lime or the ph will drop to the low 5's later in bloom. Much better stuff out there then this over priced crap......Sunshine mix number 4 is super stable and canna coco is way better then that. If ya have to stick to fox then add 3 tlbs of dom lime to each bag along with perlite and you should be fine.

Add 2 tlbs of dom lime per gallon of water and water them with this. This will help. Several folks have had the same issue. You can sprinkle some right on the top of the soil and try to mix it in a lil too but but mix it in water and water them. I'd feed and water in the low 7's too and the run off will still drop to the 5's and lock them right out. Your seeing lockout as the ph is to low for them to uptake so ya have to get that back up or they will die.. I can show you tons of pic's of the same thing as your seeing so trust me, been there done that. Switch to a dif soil or soiless or add lime......

I'm done with ocean forest! I love it for about 3 years I tried to start some seedlings 3 times in the last 3 months and all 3 got brown spot as soon as I put them in ocean forest all I gave them was plain water one time when I tranplanted them in to the o.f.! Three days later brown spots!!

http://www.rollitup....-you-go-ph.html this link is to my posting about it and here another guy with o.f. pph issues!http://www.rollitup.org/marijuana-plant-problems/305201-fox-farms-ocean-forest-low.html I'm going to go with sunshine mix 4 I just put some seeds in L.Worrior and then got some sunshine mix so I put some seeds in the sunshine mix the seeds are doing better in sunshine than in the light warrior. Now on l.w. for me!!! You can put your seeds in it on day one with no worries! You can get under a MH light sooner!!!! Everywhere else I'm MrGhettoGrower!!!

Ocean forest is way to hot for seedlings. Its not a PH issue, ocean forest is extremely stable, I mix my soils but have used plain ocean forest in the past. It likes higher PH 6.7-7.0 but its still way to nutrient rich for seedlings and young plants, it will cook them. It does work amazing with older larger plants though. I love sunshine mix as well, Its one of the only plain soils I've ran and didn't have issues with. Currently my soil I've been using is straight ocean forest in the bottom 3-4" of my pot, then a mix of Happy frog, ocean forest and light warrior til about 3" from the top, then just straight light warrior on top, the soil gets progressively hotter as it gets deeper, by the time the roots can reach the straight ocean forest the plant will be big and strong enough to take advantage of the rich soil.

When you say your feeding with ph adjusted water, just what are you adjusting with? I have heard of some folks having used too much ph adjusters that built up in the soil over time. For now, I'd follow the other posters who suggested adding lime, but would back off adjusting the water on each watering. If your soil's ph is low, and your water's ph is high, no need to adjust.

Another thing worth mentioning, is the waterings themselves. With all this flushing do you think you could be overwatering? that could cause simular symtoms as well.....good luck.......shredder

None taken, however I've used it more times then not with soil and never had much for ph issues, with sunshine I usually go about 6.3-6.5 and with ocean forest I usually go 6.7-7.0 So I mean no doubt the PH is lower on ocean forest, compensating for this with your water and nutrient ph levels does have amazing results though.

You never said what you feed the plants with. Your problem could be your nutrients.

For the first 2 weeks, I just water. I did notice that if you try to feed during the first two weeks of using it - it can lock out.

After two weeks, I do the feed, water, water routine and the plants act normal.

If you use PH Up or Down, you need to let it sit for at least 20 minutes.

-DN

Ocean forest is way to hot for seedlings. Its not a PH issue, ocean forest is extremely stable, I mix my soils but have used plain ocean forest in the past. It likes higher PH 6.7-7.0 but its still way to nutrient rich for seedlings and young plants, it will cook them. It does work amazing with older larger plants though. I love sunshine mix as well, Its one of the only plain soils I've ran and didn't have issues with. Currently my soil I've been using is straight ocean forest in the bottom 3-4" of my pot, then a mix of Happy frog, ocean forest and light warrior til about 3" from the top, then just straight light warrior on top, the soil gets progressively hotter as it gets deeper, by the time the roots can reach the straight ocean forest the plant will be big and strong enough to take advantage of the rich soil.

I took back 2 bags of o.f. got 2 sunshine mix4 the guy at the local shop said o.f. was burning my plants. When I feed with the sunshine I water it twice then feed 1/4 strength or 1/2 tsp big grow the first feeding and water next time second feeding go 1/2 strength or 1 tsp?

I took back 2 bags of o.f. got 2 sunshine mix4 the guy at the local shop said o.f. was burning my plants. When I feed with the sunshine I water it twice then feed 1/4 strength or 1/2 tsp big grow the first feeding and water next time second feeding go 1/2 strength or 1 tsp?

Almost all soils I don't add nutrients for the first week or two, until the plant looks like it could use some, then I feed full strength every third watering, with ffof I ph at 6.7+ with sunshine #4 I was always around 6.3 I never feed half strength or double strength I always shoot for about 1000ppm.

Almost all soils I don't add nutrients for the first week or two, until the plant looks like it could use some, then I feed full strength every third watering, with ffof I ph at 6.7+ with sunshine #4 I was always around 6.3 I never feed half strength or double strength I always shoot for about 1000ppm.

You joking? 1000ppm for seedlings? The grow shop said to water once or twice then add Grow Big at 1/4 dose the first time then do 1/2 dose next feeding watering in between? You don't have ph issues with sunshine mix 4? GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I heard was a lot more stabe than ffof!

You joking? 1000ppm for seedlings? The grow shop said to water once or twice then add Grow Big at 1/4 dose the first time then do 1/2 dose next feeding watering in between? You don't have ph issues with sunshine mix 4? GREAT!!!!!!!!!! I heard was a lot more stabe than ffof!

Did I say anything about seedlings, I don't even put seedlings into soil for about 2 weeks, then I feed straight water for the next 2 or so weeks until the plant begins to look like it could use nutrients. Also I don't use fox farms nutrients, just their soil and I mix 2cu.ft happy frog, 1.5cu.ft Ocean Forest and 1cu.ft Light warrior. Now since you apparently aren't very well book learned I'll spell it out for you.

I sprout seeds in a wet paper towel, when the taproot is showing I put them into starter plugs in a humidome to live out the first 2 weeks of life, once the seedling has its first set of leaves and it beginning to show new growth I transplant into a 5 or 7 gallon pot w/ 2-3" of pure ocean forest on bottom, my mix til about 3" below the top of the pot and then pure light warrior on top of the pot. Transplant the starter cube and veg 2 weeks with just plain PH'd water, depending on the soil I adjust my ph differently. After about 2 weeks when they're looking a little weak I feed them at 1000ppm one feeding, then ph'd water for the next 2 (on average about every other day to every 3rd day) At that point they follow the same schedule the entire time.

I don't have PH issues with anything, simply adjusting based upon which brand is common sense, I'm simply offering help here, I don't ask questions or seek assistance, I've done this far longer then you and can say from experience while I do like sunshine mix #4 if you know how to handle Fox Farms soils they'll out produce any other soil plant to plant. In all honesty I grow 80% hydro anyways, but again I'm trying to offer assistance to an obvious new grower.

Did I say anything about seedlings, I don't even put seedlings into soil for about 2 weeks, then I feed straight water for the next 2 or so weeks until the plant begins to look like it could use nutrients. Also I don't use fox farms nutrients, just their soil and I mix 2cu.ft happy frog, 1.5cu.ft Ocean Forest and 1cu.ft Light warrior. Now since you apparently aren't very well book learned I'll spell it out for you.

I sprout seeds in a wet paper towel, when the taproot is showing I put them into starter plugs in a humidome to live out the first 2 weeks of life, once the seedling has its first set of leaves and it beginning to show new growth I transplant into a 5 or 7 gallon pot w/ 2-3" of pure ocean forest on bottom, my mix til about 3" below the top of the pot and then pure light warrior on top of the pot. Transplant the starter cube and veg 2 weeks with just plain PH'd water, depending on the soil I adjust my ph differently. After about 2 weeks when they're looking a little weak I feed them at 1000ppm one feeding, then ph'd water for the next 2 (on average about every other day to every 3rd day) At that point they follow the same schedule the entire time.

I don't have PH issues with anything, simply adjusting based upon which brand is common sense, I'm simply offering help here, I don't ask questions or seek assistance, I've done this far longer then you and can say from experience while I do like sunshine mix #4 if you know how to handle Fox Farms soils they'll out produce any other soil plant to plant. In all honesty I grow 80% hydro anyways, but again I'm trying to offer assistance to an obvious new grower.

You can hold your insults their not really necessary are they? you don't even know me!

What insults? You're gonna talk down to me when I try to offer my assistance, that's offensive, respect those with knowledge greater then you and 90% of the time they'll share it all with you.

"Now since you apparently aren't very well book learned I'll spell it out for you."

This is a condescending statement. Obviously you did not mean it that way.

Peace.

• 10 years later...

O'yeah Fox Farm Ocean Forest Ph is fron one extreme to anorher I gave 6 plants right niw suffering major problems. I wasn't sure what was going on but now reading these post about it , bvb it has become very obvious to me. ITS THE FOX FARM OCEAN FOREST soil , man I bought like 15    2 cubic bags of this stuff readying for my Spring plant. Man what the heck. Fox Farm should pay us fir the troubke they have caused

I don't know what they have done to their soil but you can bet they have list this customer. I thought it was something I had done , now I know. Anybody out there know what we should do? Somebody oyt there give us some good advice . PLEASE My ph is from 3.0 to around 8.5 depend on where you check it at in my pots. My plants are suffering big time. It had fungus knats in it to " lot if them ".

10 hours ago, Ken Van said:

O'yeah Fox Farm Ocean Forest Ph is fron one extreme to anorher I gave 6 plants right niw suffering major problems. I wasn't sure what was going on but now reading these post about it , bvb it has become very obvious to me. ITS THE FOX FARM OCEAN FOREST soil , man I bought like 15    2 cubic bags of this stuff readying for my Spring plant. Man what the heck. Fox Farm should pay us fir the troubke they have caused

I don't know what they have done to their soil but you can bet they have list this customer. I thought it was something I had done , now I know. Anybody out there know what we should do? Somebody oyt there give us some good advice . PLEASE My ph is from 3.0 to around 8.5 depend on where you check it at in my pots. My plants are suffering big time. It had fungus knats in it to " lot if them ".

By plain soil like Promix and add your nutes.