If The Mother Tested Negative, Will The New Born?

Hello! I have a Medical question. Let's say a pregnant women tests positive for thc the first two months of her pregnancy.

Since than she has not been around it and has tested negative ever since and has been fine. She will be giving birth in about a month. My question is, will the baby be born thc positive? If she is clean, the baby should be as well right? Is there a chance that she is testing negative and the baby will be positive? Or if the mom is clean the baby should be too? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Zero chance of the baby testing positive.

None at all.

Rest easy ..

I disagree, Me and my girlfriend were in a similar situation 2 years ago. She had morning sickness everyday throughout her pregnancy and I felt treating with a couple of tokes of cannabis were safer than the synthetic medication they prescribed. She didnt use cannabis for the first 5 months and dealt with the sickness. We were told that even if she used cannabis before she knew she was pregnant the newborn still can test positive cause it will be in the first stool they have while still in the womb, and they drug test the stool.

Here is another publication about that kind of testing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672735/?tool=pubmed

Meconium analysis offers an alternative, more accurate method of quantifying the level of drug misuse in pregnancy. It was developed in the United States of America for several screening studies.2,3 It is a better indicator than maternal history, and maternal and neonatal hair and urinalysis.3,4,5,6 Drug metabolites accumulate in fetal meconium after 16 weeks gestation.

Thank you for mentioning this kind of testing. I wasn't aware of it.

I was just lucky that my first response was correct.

The topic of morning sickness has been raised here lately. Cannabis works great for morning sickness and has the least side effect potential of any medicine available today.

Less side effects than neonatal vitamins.

That said, the state will sometimes try to take a child based on the presence of the child being exposed.

So if it's being used for morning sickness, then there should be a strong attempt to stop when the first trimester is over. That covers the majority of time when morning sickness is in effect.

The morning sickness poses a much larger risk, to both the baby and the mother, than cannabis does.

if it were my child, this question wouldn't even be brought up, there's no way my wife would use anything. however, it's a free country.

Even if refusal would cause the child to die?

That's silly. Your wife would ignore the doctor saying "you need this.." if talking about vitamins?

What about white sugar? or a cup of coffee? herbal tea? black pepper? peppermint?

More power to her .. but I don't think she abstains from every kind of food and drink while preggers.

I highly recommend avoiding cocaine and heroin while with child. And any other time also.

i'm sorry if this is against your opinion.

there have been no unbiased studies to show it is harmful, but there have also been no biased studies to show it is not. i would not take the chance with the future of my child.

wanting something to be one way, does not make it actually be the other. i understand you want it to be healthy for a pregnant woman to smoke mj, but that does not make it so.

to the point of this topic, however, it would appear by meconium testing the would (like hair sampling) be able to see a larger window of the past, just as hemoglobin A1C testing shows with diabetes

also, just to add, urine collection in a newborn is not difficult at all. a device called a puck in placed on the infant. it is essentially a baggie with adhesive strips that stick around the genitals, collecting any urine produced. (so no one thinks, "oh, i don't have to worry about them collecting urine, it's hard to do)

my point is not to be a downer on marijuana. my point is i would not take the chance of having my child taken away or even threatened to be taken away.

be informed, do not stick your head in the sand with the first study that tells you what you want to hear

i'm sorry if this is against your opinion.

there have been no unbiased studies to show it is harmful, but there have also been no biased studies to show it is not. i would not take the chance with the future of my child.

wanting something to be one way, does not make it actually be the other. i understand you want it to be healthy for a pregnant woman to smoke mj, but that does not make it so.

to the point of this topic, however, it would appear by meconium testing the would (like hair sampling) be able to see a larger window of the past, just as hemoglobin A1C testing shows with diabetes

Well .. there have been some studies that show no harm. You believe them to all be biased?

Such as this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=1886543&ordinalpos=15&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Everyone has been taught that marijuana is just as bad as heroin. Some of us still believe that.

also, just to add, urine collection in a newborn is not difficult at all. a device called a puck in placed on the infant. it is essentially a baggie with adhesive strips that stick around the genitals, collecting any urine produced. (so no one thinks, "oh, i don't have to worry about them collecting urine, it's hard to do)

my point is not to be a downer on marijuana. my point is i would not take the chance of having my child taken away or even threatened to be taken away.

be informed, do not stick your head in the sand with the first study that tells you what you want to hear

The real danger to the child, in this context, is the government willing to rip a child away from it's mother for a plant.

That's a much larger danger the the well being of the child.

darn thank god my other half didn't have to deal with that NAZI reasoning....she had my last kid in 06 and they weren't tested. The rules the brainwashed follow... I personally choose to break EVERY rule that is put in my face. I believe we are controlled by a system that is designed to consume us and leave us to feel the consequences of the greed that is so sought after.

When did the SOM start testing EVERY mother and child? I had my last child in 2009 and I know that neither I or my baby was tested. My OB delivered all 3 of my children over a 10 year span and I have never been tested for cannabis, and would object to it if tried. BTW I did not use during any of my pregnancies, but seriously considered during my last to combat my MS and my OB did not object to it.

One of our friend's girlfriends was tested early on (1st trimester) by her OB (without her knowledge) and was told she had to submit to further testing throughout her pregnancy because she tested positive. I told her to find another OB.

But when you go to the hospital to deliver, they have you sign papers during your stay and they say it is for different tests for the baby. Well, little do people know, there is a drug test clause in the paper work that is almost ALWAYS over looked. What you were to refuse to sign the papers for the testing, what would happen? The mom did not consume during the pregnancy. She quite, got pregnant, BUT was still around the second hand smoke of other patients. So she tested positive the first two ob visits in the first trimester. She was told by the ob that it was probably from the second hand smoke but she would have to report it if she tested positive again. So she has not been around any secondhand smoke or other patients since then and has tested negative ever since. She only tested positive the first two visits!

SO, would the baby test positive at all? Even if she has not medicated and tried her best to stay away from second hand smoke? She has been tested every visit since then and has been fine. Will the baby be positive or should everything be fine?

I would have no doubt tested positive through my whole pregnancy because of second hand from my hubby. I was not in the "Oh my god, the baby's coming!" frame of mind when admitted to the hospital because I was induced the last two pregnancies, and my husband and I both went through the paperwork...no drug test section, that we WOULD HAVE NOTICED. Not saying that this is not happening, but IMHO I don't believe that every mother/child is tested, at least not where I live.

Just my experience with the whole thing.

Hello! I have a Medical question. Let's say a pregnant women tests positive for thc the first two months of her pregnancy.

Since than she has not been around it and has tested negative ever since and has been fine. She will be giving birth in about a month. My question is, will the baby be born thc positive? If she is clean, the baby should be as well right? Is there a chance that she is testing negative and the baby will be positive? Or if the mom is clean the baby should be too? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

no chance, none absolutly none,

My hat is off to your friend for thinking of that other life while she is carrying the baby!

I couldnt imagine not being able to take or do so many things when pregnant, Thank God for Moms!

Peace

FTW

Jim

Here is another publication about that kind of testing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....35/?tool=pubmed

Thank you for mentioning this kind of testing. I wasn't aware of it.

I was just lucky that my first response was correct.

The topic of morning sickness has been raised here lately. Cannabis works great for morning sickness and has the least side effect potential of any medicine available today.

Less side effects than neonatal vitamins.

That said, the state will sometimes try to take a child based on the presence of the child being exposed.

So if it's being used for morning sickness, then there should be a strong attempt to stop when the first trimester is over. That covers the majority of time when morning sickness is in effect.

The morning sickness poses a much larger risk, to both the baby and the mother, than cannabis does.

P.B How would you say they should actualy use mm. maybe a lil low dose butter on a cracker?

Im not for any kinds of meds while woman are pregant, on that note though, I beleive the woman should have the choice, her own choice!

I know woman who have smoked mildly while preg and drank a lil whine here and there and smoked cigs, their kids are now in late 20's early 30's! there should be some kind of medical studys on this subject eh?

Im to lazy to find it! but if you find it I will read it!

Peace

FTW

Jim

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...