Jury Nullification

Jury nullification occurs when a jury returns a verdict of "Not Guilty" despite its belief that the defendant is guilty of the violation charged. The jury in effect nullifies a law that it believes is either immoral or wrongly applied to the defendant whose fate they are charged with deciding.

I have been writing letters to representatives and will continue to do so. I can't help but think however that if we wait on the politicians to help us, we will die waiting.

I think the people or maybe the press is the only way forward. Perhaps we could pay for radio or TV spots that explained how our rights were being trampled and innocents were being put through the judicial wringer just to feed the forfeiture/prison/probation machine. We could explain that the politicians don't have the courage and that it is up to the people to stand up for our rights.

We should start our own Just say No campaign....No to marijuana convictions!! If we could produce an informative as well as an entertaining video and it went viral, just imagine the numbers we could educate.

If we could educate the Michigan public on their jury nullification rights perhaps enough Marijuana trials would be derailed that the prosecutors would finally realize the futility and would stop trying. A stretch...I know but I think that efforts need to arise from the grass roots level, just like the MMJ law.

Just my opinion, and I may be wrong.

But, I believe I witnessed "Jury Nullification" at its finest late this morning out in Howell, Michigan.

The jury did the right thing!

Amen!

Mizerman

I think the jury in Howell did the right thing too. I think we should start advocating that publicly through radio and TV. Let the citizens know that if they are ever seated on a marijuana jury, they can simply refuse to convict.

Wouldn't it be great if the prosecutors pushed back on LEO for fewer arrests because they knew they probably couldn't get a conviction?

Jury nullification is the bedrock of freedom against tyrannical unjust laws. People don't understand it because it's no longer taught in high school let alone college. Many judges instruct juries that the opposite is true that they must rule as per the law ,as written. Untrue, the law itself is always on trial by the will of the people.

Archived