Patient’S Medical Cannabis Strain Guide

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Guest 1TokeOverLine

THE PRACTICAL PATIENT’S MEDICAL CANNABIS STRAIN GUIDE PROJECT

(Matching Medical Cannabis Strains To Medical Conditions)

(Download link for the complete compilation is at the bottom of this page)

To some new patients the task of acquiring the right medication with the most benefit for their conditions seems a daunting task. There seems to be little practical information available in one convenient guide. In this practical guide to selecting Medical Cannabis strains I will try to clear up the cannabis mysteries and answer patient questions about the medicine and selecting the best possible strain to ease their suffering. I have been using cannabis as an alternative medication to avoid long term damage from pharmaceuticals and poison approved by our current government to ease my arthritis pain in my youth, to helping me cope with my current failing health problems for over 50 years without life threatening side effects. I have been researching and growing my own “alternative medications” since 1958. I am suffering from numerous conditions and medical cannabis contributes to a somewhat more active life than pills have, without life threatening side effects. In coping with the debilitating effects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, severe Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis and accompanying Osteoporosis, and a recent soft tissue neck tumor I’m not only forced to deal with the medical conditions, but also with the unacceptable side effects of currently acceptable poison my doctors seem so adamant on pushing. I’ve written this article in an attempt to compile the most recent and pertinent information available on the internet so that a new patient can be informed as completely as we can convey. All comments are mine, I do not have a medical degree (although I have two degrees in other fields), and in no way mean to advertise or influence choices of patients. The sole purpose of this compiled guide and associated comments is to achieve the main goal in assisting a new patient in wading through the myriad of misinformation and outright lies they encounter during their medical cannabis research and use. Presenting the most truthful information found in one convenient location is my sole purpose, for which I am not receiving any compensation other than the satisfaction of contributing to ease the pain and suffering of fellow patients. United We Stand. – 1TokeOverLine

Let's Start By Comparing Sativa With Indica And Their Hybrids

When choosing a medical strain a patient must first make a list of desired benefits from the use of cannabis, for instance if you have chronic fatigue with rheumatoid arthritis you may wish for the following benefits:

1) pain relief

2) immunological support

3) increased energy

A patient would then research which variety (strain or hybrid) has shown to be effective in these areas and choose one or more varieties to achieve the results which work for them. A single hybrid can produce all desired effect (in this case possibly a sativa dominant hybrid). One must remember that most of the information on this is anecdotal and some what subjective so any specific application is greatly dependent on ones’ own response to the variety and method of medication. Recent studies indicate that cannabis edibles may affect some patients more profoundly than others and care must be taken to reduce the dosage to one’s needs. Vaping a medication is also proven a safe medication method compared to the alternative of inhaling burnt plant matter to receive the benefits of your medication. Every patient has their own tolerances and preferences and must research with trial and error to find what works for them. Hopefully this list will save you time and money by guiding you in the right direction from the start.

Let’s talk about the most common dilemma a new patient faces and try to answer the questions like "How do I know which strain will work best for my ailment, what’s the deal with Indica and Sativa, and what the heck does 50/50 mean?”

I offer this opinion that has been repeated many times in the numerous internet forums; in general, Cannabis Sativa is the taller lankier variety that under optimal conditions can reach 16-19 ft outdoors, it is usually characterized by narrow serrated leaves and a loose spear-like flower cluster. The cannabinoids in Cannabis Sativa are characterized by an elevated thc to cannabidiol level (THC-CBD) and a more stimulating psychological effect (although certain African and Hawaiian types can be quite sedative in a somewhat unique way). Sativas apparently have greater immune enhancing abilities than Indica varieties. There are numerous compounds in cannabis smoke and vapor and the same amount of debates about them, but as our main goal is to simplify the scientific mechanics and present the layman’s view to selection, let this short intro to compounds from the Cal Canna Labs suffice:

Cannabinoids are the organic compounds found in cannabis that are responsible for it’s desired effects. Percentages of THC and other cannabinoids vary from strain to strain as well as growing methods used. When consumed, these organic compounds affect the cannabinoid receptors giving marijuana it’s desired effect. Found mostly in trichomes, they all share the a basic molecular structure similar to Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC.

Delta-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC):

Tetrahyrocannabinol, or THC, is the most studied and is generally accepted as the most psychoactive ingredient of marijuana, thought to be the compound most responsible for the “high” or intoxicating effects experienced by users. Reported medical benefits include: appetite stimulation, relief from nausea, and an be used as a mild or moderate analgesic. THC partial antagonists binding to both CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors in the nervous and immune tissues.

Cannabidiol (CBD):

Is thought by some to be the most medically relevant compound in Cannabis as recent studies have linked CBD to a decrease in the growth of breast cancer cells. Other studies have suggested Cannabidiol to have antipsychotic properties in treatment of schizophrenia, reduction of spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis, reduction of nausea, and as an analgesic. CBD has also been shown to counteract feelings of anxiety or paranoia caused by higher THC content medicines. The ratio of CBD to THC is a key indicator for Cannabis efficacy.

Cannabinol (CBN):

Alone Cannabinol is thought to be only slightly psychoactive if at all, and is a product of THC degradation forming only after the plant dies and is exposed to oxygen. Most of the samples from medical cooperatives have very low cannabinol levels. Elevated Cannabinol levels might suggest improper curing or storage.” – Cal Canna Labs

(There are many more compounds that contribute to the effectiveness of our wonderful medicine plant, such as a myriad of turpines and we are discovering more every day research goes on. However we have no strain specific tracking information on these, but we do have THC and CBD content that can be assigned. The guide table will be expanded as this additional information becomes available.)

According to recent patient reports tinctures made from Sativa cannabis seem very effective on strep throat, and the variety seems to be preferred by immune compromised patients as stated on numerous medical web sites. Cannabis Indica is characterized by a shorter stockier growth pattern (3-6 ft) with wide deeply serrated leaves and a much more compact and dense flower cluster. The cannabinoids found in Indicas generally have an elevated cannabidol to thc ratio (CBD-THC) and apparently a much more narcotic type psychological effect. Indicas seem to make very good pain relievers and sedatives. Tinctures made from Indicas are reported by website forum members to be effective on muscle spasm and various types of myalgia and neuralgia. These varieties seem to be preferred for nausea also. When describing strains and their properties it’s good to know the Indica/Sativa ratio, such as 40/60 which tells us that the strain is a hybrid mix of 40% Indica to 60% Sativa, resulting in a Sativa leaning profile. A 60/40 for instance, indicates an Indica dominant profile.

A patient needs to know that there are probably 1000 (or more) different hybrids of Sativas and Indicas each with its own unique cannabinoid profile. We are dedicated and working hard to collect the most up to date strain information on their affects to various medical conditions and to this end have created the table and associated information for the new patient. It is our intent to provide the most accurate and current information and to that end we encourage personal strain experiences and their effect on patients and their conditions. With the misinformation machines and government propaganda circulating the world wide web we are dedicated to weeding out the garbage and get to the meat of the matter once and for all. No one will do it for us, it’s up to patients like us to watch out for other patients.

By using these general recommendations, one can experiment with different hybridizations to fine tune the effect desired. Keep in mind that you are the best judge of what works for you and it will be up to you to determine what that will be.

First, let’s take a look at the body systems and what it will take in a medication to ease the suffering of that condition. I have researched the medical conditions associated with each body system and matched strains reported to have beneficial effects on coping with them. Then, we can look over a medical cannabis strain chart in that body system section to answer specific strains and how they affect all known reported conditions to date. It is important to note that a lot of this information is claimed on breeder sites to promote their profits, when that is the case I have tried to flag it and note it. Thus, if you know which body system is involved, you can look up strains reported specifically beneficial, or you can opt to go right to the Medical Strain Guide to look up a strain name and its’ reported associated benefits to a medical condition. I sincerely hope this contribution can be of help, and good luck in your search for the perfect match. – 1TokeOverLine

Be sure to download the complete article with the Medical Strain List

MedicalStrainGuide.htm

Guest 1TokeOverLine

We're trying, _abbenormal :unsure:

Thanks TajMahal :D

Keeping patients first in mind check back often as this will be updated with feedback. As you learn of verified testimony feel free to post for addition to the Guide. With dedication this can be the defining guide for patients.

Medical links and information is weak at best, and we need verifiable medical confirmation and feedback on ailments is paramount.

1T

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Thanks 420lover, check back for updates, and if you come across success testimony post it, please!

I know there are more helpful strains out there that have not been reported, let's get the info out there for the patients.

Just a thought, but a adding a section for strictly Michigan strains? Any thoughts?

1T

Guest OxXGarfieldXxO

Toke has graciously sent me mass information and we'll eventually be making tokes suggestions/guide a static section of the site. The list of 2800+ strains is as good a place as any to start.

I think what I want to do is make a "strains" category in the gallery section, and those that would donate images of strains could post images there. In my head I see individual pages for each strain like say how Attitude seeds displays their strains that are for sale...only we'd just have information and pics. We're going to need all you aspiring photographers out there to take pics and submit them as we can't very well steal pics of strains from other sites. So any image posted in this section would constitute a willing submitting of the users copyrighted images for our use on this site...

People have been asking for a strain guide as long as I can remember, so we'll see if we can't get a data base going with tokes work as a jumping off point.

(Note to Toke: I Did notice much of the commentary in your stuff you emailed me was copied from other sites and we'll not be able to post that as there is no way to verify where it started(so we could ask permission). I know a majority of the marijuana sites out there just copy and paste info back and forth but we can't do that brother. )

Anyways thanks Toke. Great start!

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Thanks for your contribution mayor, I will attempt to cross reference with our information and seek their permission to use it if needed.

Garfield, I have written the entire article in my own words by recalling to the best of my knowledge what I have found in my 20+ years of research and interpretation of my notes. Where opinions are offered on numerous public website member contributions I have indicated that they are generally accepted quotes, and as such public domain. The latest update is Feb 8, 2011 and is the result of my own research, comments and opinions. What I sent you was background research notes, and is not this final compilation.

1T

Guest 1TokeOverLine

There are many medical strain lists floating around, they all appear to be copies of each other. They all mention Alien Trainwreck as useful for Asthma, but none state breeder or marketing info. Casey Jones, Master Kush, Bug Cheese, Jack's Cleaner, Kush, THC Bomb, Vortex are also listed for Asthma on the MedicalMarijuanaStrains site.

1T

There are many medical strain lists floating around, they all appear to be copies of each other. They all mention Alien Trainwreck as useful for Asthma, but none state breeder or marketing info. Casey Jones, Master Kush, Bug Cheese, Jack's Cleaner, Kush, THC Bomb, Vortex are also listed for Asthma on the MedicalMarijuanaStrains site.

1T

Thanks for your work here 1 T. Some of us individual human beings appreciate your efforts and service to others.

Peace.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

I have seen the list but not all the other good info :) just been looking for alien train wreck with no luck.

From what I can see, it's only offered in Cali shops. The alternative strains mentioned are just as good if not better IMO. Good luck in your search, if you locate the breeder info I'd like to hear about it for inclusion.

Thanks Bisharoo, United We Stand.

1T

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Thanks Retta, it's an ongoing work in progress. I've located about 2 dozen more strains that haven't been circulated to most of the online strain guides yet, will get them into ours and update the link ASAP.

1T

Hey 1T!!

Thanks for posting this.

Question for you .. I noticed, in the first post, that both Sativas and Indicas are supposed to have elevated cannabidiol. Is this correct? Or is one of them supposed to have a repressed CBD content?

Also .. growing conditions can modify the cannabinoid profile. Example would be the CBN content which depends on how much of the THC and CBD have oxidized into CBN.

Also .. little attention has been given to beta caryophylene. This compound has long been considered as one of the turpines. It's ability to protect the gastric system has been documented. It is also a well documented pain killer and anti inflammation compound. It was only 2008 that it was discovered to be a cannabinoid with affinity toward the CB2 receptor. The first plant cannabinoid discovered outside the marijuana plant.

BCE is the same compound that is responsible for the taste and smell of black pepper. It is also the pain killer in oil of cloves. As a pain killer, it's effects are similar to Novocaine. It is easy to detect this in a batch of herb by the smell.

Guest 1TokeOverLine

Hey 1T!!

Thanks for posting this.

Question for you .. I noticed, in the first post, that both Sativas and Indicas are supposed to have elevated cannabidiol. Is this correct? Or is one of them supposed to have a repressed CBD content?

Also .. growing conditions can modify the cannabinoid profile. Example would be the CBN content which depends on how much of the THC and CBD have oxidized into CBN.

Also .. little attention has been given to beta caryophylene. This compound has long been considered as one of the turpines. It's ability to protect the gastric system has been documented. It is also a well documented pain killer and anti inflammation compound. It was only 2008 that it was discovered to be a cannabinoid with affinity toward the CB2 receptor. The first plant cannabinoid discovered outside the marijuana plant.

BCE is the same compound that is responsible for the taste and smell of black pepper. It is also the pain killer in oil of cloves. As a pain killer, it's effects are similar to Novocaine. It is easy to detect this in a batch of herb by the smell.

Good catch, peanutbutter, the sativa typo should read cannabidiol (CBD) and indicate an elevated THC to CBD ratio, and the indica should read elevated CBD to THC ratio. CBN elevation is an indicator of poor growing/curing and degradation. I will tend to that correction ASAP.

As to caryophylene and BCE, those profiting from medical cannabis aren't offering more data than needed to boost their ratings or sales, and turpines along with other compounds aren't documented in strain specific data. We know of them and how they benefit, but have no clue which strains contain beneficial ratios or even what those ratios would be. Their mention is fine in a debate on medical cannabis benefits, but is it elemental data that we can enter and track for specific strains in a guide?

1T

PATIENT’S MEDICAL CANNABIS STRAIN GUIDE

(Matching Medical Cannabis Strains To Medical Conditions)

(Download link for the complete compilation is at the bottom of this page)

To some new patients the task of acquiring the right medication with the most benefit for their conditions seems a daunting task. There seems to be little practical information available in one convenient guide. In this practical guide to selecting Medical Cannabis strains we will try to clear up the cannabis mysteries and answer patient questions about the medicine and selecting the best possible strain to ease their suffering. I have been using cannabis as an alternative medication to avoid long term damage from pharmaceuticals and poison approved by our current government to ease my arthritis pain in my youth, to helping me cope with my current failing health problems for over 50 years. I am suffering from numerous conditions and medical cannabis contributes to a somewhat more active life than pills have, without life threatening side effects. In coping with the debilitating effects of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, severe Degenerative Disc Disease, Arthritis and accompanying Osteoporosis, and a recent soft tissue neck tumor I’m not only forced to deal with the medical conditions, but also with the unacceptable side effects of currently acceptable poison my doctors seem so adamant on pushing. I’ve written this article in an attempt to compile the most recent and pertinent information available on the internet so that a new patient can be informed as completely as we can convey. All comments are mine, I do not have a medical degree (although I have two degrees in other fields), and in no way mean to advertise or influence choices of patients. The sole purpose of this compiled guide and associated comments is to achieve the main goal in assisting a new patient in wading through the myriad of misinformation and outright lies they encounter during their medical cannabis research and use. Presenting the most truthful information found in one convenient location is my sole purpose, for which I am not receiving any compensation other than the satisfaction of contributing to ease the pain and suffering of fellow patients. United We Stand. – 1TokeOverLine

“Comparing Cannabis Sativa With Cannabis Indica And Their Hybrids”

When choosing a medical strain a patient must first make a list of desired benefit from the use of cannabis, for instance if you have chronic fatigue with fibromyalgia you may wish for the following benefits:

1) increased energy

2) pain relief

3) immunological support

A patient would then research which variety (strain or hybrid) has shown to be effective in these areas and choose one or more varieties to achieve the results which work for them. A single hybrid can produce all desired effect (in this case possibly a sativa dominant hybrid). One must remember that most of the information on this is anecdotal and some what subjective so any specific application is greatly dependent on ones’ own response to the variety and method of medication. Recent studies indicate that cannabis edibles may affect some patients more profoundly than others and care must be taken to reduce the dosage to one’s needs. Vaping a medication is also proven a safe medication method compared to the alternative of inhaling burnt plant matter to receive the benefits of your medication. Every patient has their own tolerances and preferences and must research with trial and error to find what works for them. Hopefully this list will save you time and money by guiding you in the right direction from the start.

Let’s talk about the most common dilemma a new patient faces and try to answer the questions like "How do I know which strain will work best for my ailment, what’s the deal with Indica and Sativa, and what the heck does 50/50 mean?”

I offer this opinion that has been repeated many times in the numerous internet forums; in general, Cannabis Sativa is the taller lankier variety that under optimal conditions can reach 16-19 ft outdoors, it is usually characterized by narrow serrated leaves and a loose spear-like flower cluster. The cannabinoids in Cannabis Sativa are characterized by an elevated thc to cannabidiol level (THC-CBD) and a more stimulating psychological effect (although certain African and Hawaiian types can be quite sedative in a somewhat unique way). Sativas apparently have greater immune enhancing abilities than Indica varieties. According to recent patient reports tinctures made from Sativa cannabis seem very effective on strep throat, and the variety seems to be preferred by immune compromised patients as stated on numerous medical web sites. Cannabis Indica is characterized by a shorter stockier growth pattern (3-6 ft) with wide deeply serrated leaves and a much more compact and dense flower cluster. The cannabinoids found in Indicas generally have an elevated cannabidol to thc ratio (CBD-THC) and apparently a much more narcotic type psychological effect. Indicas seem to make very good pain relievers and sedatives. Tinctures made from Indicas are reported by website forum members to be effective on muscle spasm and various types of myalgia and neuralgia. These varieties seem to be preferred for nausea also. When describing strains and their properties it’s good to know the Indica/Sativa ratio, such as 40/60 which tells us that the strain is a hybrid mix of 40% Indica to 60% Sativa, resulting in a Sativa leaning profile. A 60/40 for instance, indicates an Indica dominant profile.

A patient needs to know that there are probably 1000 (or more) different hybrids of Sativas and Indicas each with its own unique cannabinoid profile. We are dedicated and working hard to collect the most up to date strain information on their affects to various medical conditions and to this end have created the table and associated information for the new patient. It is our intent to provide the most accurate and current information and to that end we encourage personal strain experiences and their effect on patients and their conditions. With the misinformation machines and government propaganda circulating the world wide web we are dedicated to weeding out the garbage and get to the meat of the matter once and for all. No one will do it for us, it’s up to patients like us to watch out for other patients.

By using these general recommendations, one can experiment with different hybridizations to fine tune the effect desired. Keep in mind that you are the best judge of what works for you and it will be up to you to determine what that will be.

First, let’s take a look at the body systems and what it will take in a medication to ease the suffering of that condition. I have researched the medical conditions associated with each body system and matched strains reported to have beneficial effects on coping with them. Then, we can look over a medical cannabis strain chart in that body system section to answer specific strains and how they affect all known reported conditions to date. It is important to note that a lot of this information is claimed on breeder sites to promote their profits, when that is the case I have tried to flag it and note it. Thus, if you know which body system is involved, you can look up strains reported specifically beneficial, or you can opt to go right to the Medical Strain Guide to look up a strain name and its’ reported associated benefits to a medical condition. I sincerely hope this contribution can be of help, and good luck in your search for the perfect match. – 1TokeOverLine

Be sure to download the complete article with the Medical Strain List

Thi sis awesome I see several of our strains on this list: Dynamite, Chemo, Blueberry, Deep Chunks, NYC DIESEL, C99, Juicy Fruit, Purple Kush, Blue 2.2,Cali-O, Burmese Kush, just to name a few that we have chosen.

It good to know that other people recognize MED strains like the DEEP CHUNKS.

Thxs for posting this. Great for patients to look at and make educated decisions with.

Archived