Odd Leaves And Small Bud. Can You Tell Me What Is Going On With This Plant.

I have a two Northern Lights plants ( seedsman seeds) that both have three leaves on each stem at the top of the plant. The leaves are standing straight up and the buds are tiny. The plant is in its 7th week of flowering . They are in bubble buckets using GH Floranova (8-10ml/g). I'm wondering are these plants stressed or what. can anyone tell me whats going on with these plants. Its looking like some pretty pathetic yields. from both of them. Thanks in advance.

My strawberry cough looked just like that, cant tell yuh what wrong cause mine were stolen before I had a chance to find out.. I don't know what caused mine to do that

mine started showing 5 then 7 near the end of flower though, only those 2 plants I had did that.

Sorry I wasn't any help :huh: curious what you get for a answer though...

gallery_14200_584_41382.jpg

Trix

I have a two Northern Lights plants ( seedsman seeds) that both have three leaves on each stem at the top of the plant. The leaves are standing straight up and the buds are tiny. The plant is in its 7th week of flowering . They are in bubble buckets using GH Floranova (8-10ml/g). I'm wondering are these plants stressed or what. can anyone tell me whats going on with these plants. Its looking like some pretty pathetic yields. from both of them. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if this will be helpful to you because your plants are older and are in flower, but it may be for others. This pertains to clones....

From High Times, Dear Danko:

Clone Wars

I've been growing for some time now, and I've noticed that sometimes after I clone, there's a period of time that the clones grow leaves with only three blades. I haven't been able to figure this out. The plants are still very vigorous, but only produce three-bladed leaves. Could you please tell me why this is? - Annoyed in Colorado

Dear Annoyed,

The reason the plants are growing leaves with only three blades is because the process of cloning causes stress to the cuttings, which transfer their resources into growing roots to stay alive. Think about it: You're cutting a piece off a growing plant and then forcing that piece to create roots and grow on its own. This technique is bound to hurt the cuttings, and its fearful reaction to pain causes it to only put out enough leaves to survive this trying time.

Eventually, once the clones have developed sufficient root systems and have been planted into a growing medium, the new shoots should have more blades per leaf jutting out from the stem. That's how you know the clones have recovered from the stress of being cut from the mother plant and that they're ready to begin the vegetation stage of life.

Again, I realize this doesn't apply to you, because you're in flower. Just thought it was good info to share and it may help others....

plus...it'll bump your thread so somebody may be able to help... :D

i had a tendency to clone right befor flowering (lol, poor timing? maybe, but i have some crazy BB growin as a result :) ) anyhow, when they reverted back to veg, they produced 3, 2 and even single bladed leaves. i havent seen them from seed before, but ive only grown out a few dozen plants from seed.

gallery_15187_312_566004.jpg

Thanks for all the responses.

Its under a 1000watt hps but was under a 600w. Switched a couple of weeks ago but the leaves have not changed. They have been this way for a while. standing straight up too. They are super green and waxy looking.

I have been battling the PH. It keeps dropping. The roots are stained from the Floranova (i think). It doesn't look like root rot but they don't look as healthy as

a couple of other younger plants I have going.

The buds are larger lower on the plants and the leaves are more normal.

Its probably to late to do much with these but I would like to figure it out so it doesn't happen again.

Trix,

Looks like PH. For future reference :-(

farmerandnurse,

what's the lighting setup?

what's the timer settings and type?

• 2 months later...

Looks like light pollution to me, where some light interrupted your dark cycle at the top of the plants and forced them back into a vegative state, but the lower parts didnt get affected. My 2 cents, as I have had this happen myself.

Wildman

yup! agreed

in the Medical Bible by jorge cervantes Theres a pic exactly like yours Trix ( page 96 if you have the book ) with "circle leaves"

Heres what it says:

"This female received 18 hrs of light daily. A mistake made it receive a 12/12 day/night schedule for three days, which induced flowering. The grower put it back on 18/6 day/night photoperiod. The plant took 6 weeks to resume normal veg growth. The light stress also caused the leaves to grow in circles!

• 2 months later...

i had a tendency to clone right befor flowering (lol, poor timing? maybe, but i have some crazy BB growin as a result :) ) anyhow, when they reverted back to veg, they produced 3, 2 and even single bladed leaves. i havent seen them from seed before, but ive only grown out a few dozen plants from seed.

The plant goes through a lot when revegging. I always looked at it like the plant is starting over. Cannabis grows single bladed leaves when it starts from seed, then 3 bladed, then 5 bladed etc. The plant kinda goes through the same kind of thing when it is forced to reveg. I'm not sure what kind of lighting the OP used but using weak lights like T-5 floros or HID's under 400 watts can trigger certain strains to go into flower mode or get caught into a kind of limbo mode caught between veg and flower.

My clones don't go through this reveg kind of mode where the pedal numbers drop.

Plants not showing signs of flowering but have been under 12 hours of darkness for days are in flower imo. I don't take cuttings from flowering plants unless it's totally necessary. Taking clones from clones from clones etc. and re-vegging them nearly every time will eventually change the clones and the final product.

Nice job everyone , those two answers of ph and light are right on although I would diagnos trixs as light polution as noted and not ph , but I have seen ph do some leaves a twisy like so but then theres normaly sighns of defeciencies due to lockout

I love seeing the grow skills we are building here within the community . You guys should make Bubblegrower smile .......OD :thumbsu:

I agree, this probably has something to do with lighting. When plants start kicking out single blade and 3 pedal leaves they are trying to go back to veg mode if in the flower room. Most likely there is a light leak or somebody is looking at their plants when the light cycle is in off mode.

Looks like light pollution to me, where some light interrupted your dark cycle at the top of the plants and forced them back into a vegative state, but the lower parts didnt get affected. My 2 cents, as I have had this happen myself.

Wildman

Truth. Those circular leaves are a sign of reveg and nothing else that I know of. I see them every time I take flowering clones.

I'm pretty sure the following quote is a complete myth but because I can't find my source I won't state that as fact.

Taking clones from clones from clones etc. and re-vegging them nearly every time will eventually change the clones and the final product.

it looks just like the plants ive revegged. it grows 1-3 bladed non serrated leaves then starts growth as normal. if im bored and can remember ill post some pics of the plants i revegged.

@ sinsemilliaplease

"Taking clones from clones from clones etc. and re-vegging them nearly every time will eventually change the clones and the final product."

im not sure if its a myth or not, but ive heard of genetic drift look it up. google: genetic drift marijuana

All of the photos illustrate what happens when clones stall* and young plants never hormonally mature. All these plants have the tight internodal spacing indicative of the condition. When the spacing remains this close, no node can establish apical dominance and control of the whole plant. In this state of anarchy and flux vigor and production will suffer until the malady is remedied. The potency of bud grown in these conditions is seriously comprimised.

The cure is experience and vigilance. If you see, or anticipate this condition, you need to start trimming nodes below the apical shoot until the stem length between the nodes is long enough to allow the apical hormones to exert control. Usually an inch or two is sufficient, although sometimes the process needs to be repeated for a few days until the apical shoot calms, and stops popping out such short internodes. It hurts to attack young plants with such sharp surgery, and the process adds a week to your journey, but it is the cure that needs to be applied before proficient flowering can begin.

* can be caused by lighting, disease, pot bounding, shock, stress, re-veg, ph, nute lock, bad breath...

Truth. Those circular leaves are a sign of reveg and nothing else that I know of. I see them every time I take flowering clones.

I'm pretty sure the following quote is a complete myth but because I can't find my source I won't state that as fact.

Yes, you are correct - that is complete crappy myth perpetuated by the great unwashed ( and ill educated). You can screw up Moms, you can screw up clones, it's pretty darn hard to screw up genetics without lots and lots of money and schooling.

Yes, you are correct - that is complete crappy myth perpetuated by the great unwashed ( and ill educated). You can screw up Moms, you can screw up clones, it's pretty darn hard to screw up genetics without lots and lots of money and schooling.

I'll educated??? Where does experience fall? Guess I'm an uneducated rookie that don't understand what he experiences.

The real myth is that a clone can live forever with zero change through a long life.

To clear this up, genetic drift has nothing to do with the potential "myth" that cloning a strain multiple times or keeping a mother indefinitely damages its genetics. Genetic drift always involves 2 parents. A simplistic explanation is that all the alleles in the parent's dna may not be expressed in a small group of offspring leading to later generations "drifting" from the genetics of the parents and some alleles being lost forever. I have been able to find zero evidence that cloning a healthy plant repeatedly or taking clones from clones indefinitely does damage to dna... which would be necessary to change the expression of the plant. There doesn't seem to be any reason that my skepticism about this idea should be overcome. I don't give much credence to the "experience" from the few internet handles I was actually able to locate with google claiming the "myth" to be true. None of them give anyone a tangible reason to believe them. I prefer tangible evidence.

Tangible evidence.....exactly. I saw it more than once and it really happened. Everything that is alive on planet Earth ages. Nothing lives forever. If you take terrible care of your genetics they will get old and tired just like any living thing. Each time you put stress on a clone it holds that stress for the rest of it's life. Cloning and re-vegging puts a ;lot of stress on a clone. I'm not arguing the genetic drift crap because I don't believe the genetics have changed. What can change is the way the plant expresses the genetic make-up.

It's like this...... If you are born with a lot of cancer in your back ground there is a chance you will get cancer but it's not a given. The genes are there but they don't usually "activate" til you get old or introduce something to your body that triggers the cancer. Stress can trigger cancer in humans,.... Yes there is more to it than that but....

Genes don't change but the way a living organism expresses them can.

Another example:

If I grow the same clone as you I guarantee the finished result will not be the same. Why? Because you will put different stresses on the plant than I and the clone will express itself differently. I don't know a grower who will argue with the fact that each grower will get a different result. . That fact is very plain to see and it's a given.

It's the same thing that causes a clone to change during it's life.

This is science fact and not pothead myth.

Growers who choose to dispel the "genetic drift" term are only dispelling the definition, not the actual phenomenon we are discussing.

I could start tearing into growers when they use the term "clone" instead of "asexual propagated plant" but it would be lame because we all, or most of us know it's not really a clone, but a rooted cutting......

Plants age and when they get old and stressed they can change the way they express their genetic make up. Sometimes they change that permanently when too old and over stressed. The key is to keep your moms as stress free as possible. That's what should be learned here.

Google it lol...... I've lived it and witnessed it.....

Archived