'lil Sprout To Green Giant?

Timmahh

as some of you may know, i ve got a small stash of beans ive had since the early mid 80s.

i had approximatly 16 beans. about 13 were from a 1980s Real Stamped Columbian Gold kilo. the rest were from a qp of Hawiian Blue i got in 82. well over the last 5 or so weeks, ive been attempting to get any of these 30plus year old beans to pop. i tried to shots of 4. first 8 i did the paper towel thing in groups of 4 each time. both attempts yielded No sprouts 2 weeks later.

2 weeks ago i tried 2 using the soak in a shotglass thill they sink and plant them.

no sprout after 12 days. so 2 nights ago, i tried 2 more seeds. I have 2 or 3 now left.

well i soaked the 2 on Tue night, and wed am, stuck them in dirt. got up this am, and had a SPROUT! only one, not sure if the ohter will come up.

SO i seem to have successfully sprouted ONE 30 plus year old bean out of 14 so far. only problem curently, is i just do now know if it is a C Gold sprout or a Hawiian Blue Sprout. never labled the seeds, just knew what i had in the stash for type.

So i ll be keeping a journal of this infant, and hope it grow up into a fine Male C Gold, (the pollen would be exquisist as their really hasnt been any GOLD pollen around for DEcades) or a M or F Hawiian, same reason on the M, but a female would be exquisit. i could keep here loving for years before her genetics got tired.

Wish me luck, and I hope i can keep it going. im really eager to see how well it does, and if its the Hawiian or the Gold. should be evident for sure once its about 2 ft tall or sooner.

today an 10am thru the dom. about 24 hrs after stuffing them in the dirt.

gallery_21883_709_553192.jpg

gallery_21883_709_577675.jpg

gallery_21883_709_38702.jpg

and again at 8pm tonight. its came up a bit and the helmet has nearly dropped off already.

gallery_21883_709_539554.jpg

gallery_21883_709_434373.jpg

and again at 10pm tonight. already kicked the shell to the side. this is pretty much 36 hrs since it was stuffed in the extra peet laying off to the side of the last two failures. i honestly didnt expect to get one to pop.

gallery_21883_709_712754.jpg

just re did the pics, WOW, i thought the forum albums resized the TUNEUP way, au to mat ic ly. lol nevermind they got smaller for me. lol.

sorry about the large pics, but i think it looks MARVELOUS. lol

ive heard you can help sex a baby. any info?

not sure which i would want if i can sway the gender.

i mean, its my understanding a pure male pollen of either Hawiian or Lumbo Golds has been long gone, or locked into a safe for germination once we destroy the planet and people repopulate and find our seed banks that are burried around the world. lol

But wouldnt pure 30 yr old pollen be a major bonus to the current genetic strains? especially one of 2 that seems to be virtually extinct?

well, considering if its realy hard to get and 30 yrs out, i would be inclined to share. but on a very controlled enviroment. my intentions would be try to keep it as pure as possible, ie. find a female A gold or C Gold that is as pure as possible, and go for it. or back breed it if the female has been crossed.

so ya, id be willing to share, but on the intention to keep the strain as pure as possible, and ofcourse not flood the market and get a bunch of cross breads. theirs something to be said for pure strains imo.

and for what its worth, i stuffed in 2 seeds, one of each. im pretty sure the HB seed are a light green, while the golds were darker brown. im nearly 100% positive, the sprout is from where i put what i believe is the c gold seed.

Good Morning RIU. feel pretty good after a nice nights rest. Feels Great to be Growing.

here i am this morning. 48 hrs after grounding.

gallery_21883_709_448441.jpg

heres a pic of my "time capsule" and a shot of my last 3 roomies that are left of the 16 of us that where here. (SHHH Dont say anything.. but i think they are crazy, they said they were from this place out in the ocean, and said they are blue. i think they are smoking wacky tabacky personally).

gallery_21883_709_377857.jpg

gallery_21883_709_198304.jpg

ok. so Sprouts gonna have to come out of the peatpot and zippy dome anyday now.

now in my thought pattern, it goes: old OLD seed. its Mom and the strain was likely grown in dirt in the columbain mountains. so whats the best option/choice for a dirt medium? imo, to this plant hydro means a 5gallon bucket of water, and artificial light was from flashlights from latenight would be theifs. lol basically, the plant is likely used to a natural grow setup. so whats my best soil for it?

I have a 5 in or a 3 gal pot or a 5gal bucket i can trans plant into right now. im leaning toward the 3gal.

for soils. i have FF Happy Frog soil, some Vermiculite to lighten it up a bit, typical outdoor mi soil (sandy as normal) some thick black marshy soil out back *(no idea whats in it) and i can get a bit of PM BH from a buddy.

so between what i have, whats my best options?

my idea is. take the Happy Frog and mix 2 1/4 cf of it with the bag of virmiculite to air it up a bit more. then flush the mix with water a couple times to thin out the naturally involved nutes. I dont want to kill the Sprout with too hot a mix. maybe toss in some Moss for more fluff? but im not sure, which is why im asking now.

I figure i should get it transplated by tomorrow evening? i dont expect just the peat and the seeds stored engergy to last too long over all. tomorrow am at 10, will be 72hrs sprouted, from grounding.

ok, i head out in the am for 4 days for work, wont be back till thrus night, or friday.

so it was time to move Sprout

Took a bag of FF Happy Frog, poured into apale. added about 1/4 of what i had in HF of vermiculite to the HH, to thin it up just a bit, and mixed well. took a sytrofoam cup, put holes in bottom and sides, put drian traps on bottom ring, found a small tubberware dish to set it in. Filled the cup with my HF/Vermic mix, and flushed it with straigt water a couple times to drain it out a bit to temper the HF down a smidge. Got the cam ready, and put a hole in the filled cup for Sprout to go to.

not sure if i should of done this, but when moving from the jiffy tray, it was pretty loose with the peat around it, so i just picked it up gently out of the peat and put it into the cup, and gently pushed the dirt so it would fill in around Sprout. i put the stem about 1/4 to 1/2 inch lower into the dirt that is was when in the jiffy tray. just before i put it into the new cup. i snapped a quick pic as i dropped it into the cup, showing some of the root base, and its size compared to the rest of the plant.

i didnt want to trust it in the peat for 4 days to be ok wihtout me here. so figured it was now or never with the transplant.

so i guess its pic time.

the new digs

gallery_21883_709_11439.jpg

just before move. say good bye to old digs Sprout

gallery_21883_709_803845.jpg

id have to say rooting is great. twice as much root structure than actual plant

gallery_21883_709_117104.jpg

and the new digs. Live Long and Prosper lil buddy.

gallery_21883_709_782778.jpg

gallery_21883_709_542737.jpg

overall the transplant was eventless. put a nice deep hole in the middle of the cup, and let the roots slip down in easily, gave teh cup a light squeeze along teh outside. tapped it down to settle.

pushed some dirt around the stem so about 1 inch of stem was out of the top area.

gave it a light water to help it settle more and gets 3 hrs of ligth before night.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is either of those strains, make sure you clone it before you flower it so you can keep it around, then depending on if its male or female you share the clones according. All I know is regardless of male/female or strain I would love to get my hands on some, especially if its a lumbo male!

ok, left Monday Am, got back today, and took these 2 pics. the pics above are of last sunday (4-3) and today (4-8).

gallery_21883_709_545599.jpg

gallery_21883_709_1092893.jpg

Timmahh

hmm, i was sure i did another transplant update from the styro to the 5inch pot, but i didnt, or maybe it was lost in the switch to the new server. at any rate, no big whoop. as you can see, its in a new pot.

i took a 5 inch pot, and a 3 inch pot, i flipped upside down, and set in the center of the 5 inch pot to create an area of air under the root base of the pot. seems to be a nicely working setup, i get plenty of flush and fair run off. but also allows it to wick back up the run off while im away. but as you can see, its looking very healty.

i found a thread on RIU im watching, staring to read. the OP has a plant he calls a CG. im not sure if its true, a back breed, a hybrid of some sort, but mine is looking alot like his in the shape and leafs sawtooth appearance is similar. maybe my imagination, but it looks very close to his when his was on day 18.

• 2 weeks later...

plan is to take a cutting or 2 once it starts to mature(staggared leaf growth). then put those into bloom. leaving the seedling to continue to veg. then i ll be able to figure out sex, and have one to send to a lab to have genetics tested. once i know what it is, sex and genetics, then i ll be able to make the next step forward with it.

here are a couple pics from friday evening.

gallery_21883_709_302413.jpg

gallery_21883_709_402925.jpg

gallery_21883_709_568482.jpg

gallery_21883_709_722679.jpg

getting stipules forming. getting older.

Archived