Green Lights In Flower Room For Dark Cycle?

A while back I ran flower rooms side by side, one totally dark, one lit continuously with incandescents and cfl's spray-painted green. Yield was same. Working in a green lit room is a spook, like time off in another planet. Kind of a vacation of sorts, an other-worldly experience.

I use a flashlight with green lens for close-up exams when the HID's are off. The science of it you can find on internet search, but basically green light does not activate photsynthesis, just totally bounces off the plants.

A while back I ran flower rooms side by side, one totally dark, one lit continuously with incandescents and cfl's spray-painted green. Yield was same. Working in a green lit room is a spook, like time off in another planet. Kind of a vacation of sorts, an other-worldly experience.

I use a flashlight with green lens for close-up exams when the HID's are off. The science of it you can find on internet search, but basically green light does not activate photsynthesis, just totally bounces off the plants.

This might be the Kandy Kush talking, but I think I remember this from Physics in college. I think that when something is green in color, that means it reflects only green, and absorbs all other wavelengths.

If your going for not affecting your plants, i.e. no hermies; Then store bought green cfl's shouldn't be used. As they warm up their light spectrum will change and this is enough to bring out the herm in some strains.

OK this is exactly what I didn't want to hear.... so I will be passing on the green lights heheheeh

• 2 months later...

I'm not convinced about the green light trick and don't go in my flower room when the lights are out.

Why would anybody need to inspect their pants so badly during lights out that it couldn't wait 12 hrs? I can understand if there was an emergency of some sort but other than that don't mess with your plants lights schedule.

I have strains that won't hermie if you turned the lights on every night during flower and have others that would hermie if the lights were turned on one time during flower. So..... getting away with the green light trick on one or 2 strains don't prove that it actually works.

Also just because a plant doesn't hermie under light stress doesn't mean it's not going to affect your plants in a negative manor. Light pollution can prolong flower time and decrease yield. It's not worth inspecting plants or turning on any kind of light during lights out unless you absolutely have to. Don't use a green light to show your friends your plants and don't make a habit out of using it......

I'm not convinced about the green light trick and don't go in my flower room when the lights are out.

Why would anybody need to inspect their pants so badly during lights out that it couldn't wait 12 hrs? I can understand if there was an emergency of some sort but other than that don't mess with your plants lights schedule.

I have strains that won't hermie if you turned the lights on every night during flower and have others that would hermie if the lights were turned on one time during flower. So..... getting away with the green light trick on one or 2 strains don't prove that it actually works.

Also just because a plant doesn't hermie under light stress doesn't mean it's not going to affect your plants in a negative manor. Light pollution can prolong flower time and decrease yield. It's not worth inspecting plants or turning on any kind of light during lights out unless you absolutely have to. Don't use a green light to show your friends your plants and don't make a habit out of using it......

agreed, emergency use ONLY. why take a chance?

I have a green incandescent I use when I am in my room too long, not finished and my lights go out. Its a 25w party bulb. Haven't noticed anything, and it has no warm up cycle like CFL's. But I still only use it rarely. Also I think the inside is the one coated, so little chance of it scratching off.

I use a green CFL in my flowering room for lights out. It's worked fine over several cycles, no hermies. I only use it once in a while if I absolutely have to get in there. You can have your 12 hours on any time you want so why not set them up for when you're home the most often? For instance, my lights off are set for when I'm at work and come on almost exactly when I come home so I can work in there all night if I have to.

green lights should be fine. marijuana doesnt use green light for keeping track of the light cycle it uses red light. thats according to ed rosenthal.

jorge cervantes grow bible also says green lights do not effect the plants. Many people use the "party lights" from home depot and lowes.

The green lights don't harm the flowering cycle at all. Not sure who said it above, but I will say it again, when you see a color from a plant, house, car etc etc, it is because the light the is refelcted off the item is what you see. So a green plant reflects a green light.

Archived