Problems

johnbs8

ok so im having some yellowing on the leaves. red veins on the leaves and stem is red on my 11 day old beans. Theyre just putting on the second set of real leaves. im figuring they are hungry? i gave them a small feed of canna A 6ml +B 6ml and rhiz 15ml per gal. ppms were 330 and ph at 5.8 with RO. Ive got these under a 4' T5 6 bulb at about 13" above them. 2gal pots canna coco. im also wandering if i stuck them in the 2 gal pots too early. they were makn nice roots in the dome after 7 days. they are at about 11 days now, room temps nvr get above 82deg and no lower than 69deg. humidity is a lil low ranging between 40% and 60% but how crucial is humidity? any help would be greatly appreciated TY Johnbs8

Hello " johnbs8 "

Really hard to help w/out photos ...

you can upload here or at photobucket

and post here ...

Im pretty sure there are other posted similiar Questions ?

I thought i read one not too long ago ...

But either way its Kool ...

Especially if you could get a few pictures posted

Thanks for Sharing

also up untill now i havnt given them any nutes accept for rhiztonic @15ml per gal along with RO water. im thinking they are being deprived of nutes. i fed them this morning and will give another feed in the A.M. yes no? what do you guys think.

No, no, no -you are overwatering and drowning your plants! With that soil mix you won't need to water but once a week... Folks, reading is a whole lot cheaper than trial and error, do your homework!

its not in soil. canna coco read the original post

Edited by johnbs8

You have to feed coco always or you'll stave them.. I'm runnin coco and been dealing with the yellowing issues for a bit now. Flood often even if the pots is still wet and heavy as coco will not keep the nutes so ya have to keep the food going to them all the time or they yellow. I'd flood them everyday with food of course and if they stay in those small cups then go to 2 floods per day atleast. maybe more like 4 to 6 times a day at shorter floods or waterings.

I run flood tables so not sure if you are or just top watering. Wont matter, you'll need to feed them all the time as the coco wont retain the nutes.

I'm now runnin a soiless mix in smart pots in the tables that are kicking the snot out of the coco so may dump runnin coco. I run bcuzz coco and add earth worm castings and other goodies to the mix so they have food right from the start. Helped some but increasing the floods to several times a day worked better to green things back up. PPMs to 1800 thru veg and mid bloom at 5.9ph..

thanks for the help, ill start giving them tap water with the canna food. so ill start with 200ppm tap then add some canna A + B and rhiz. at this early stage how many total PPMs should i be looking at for a total to feed with the tap water? with the RO, A n B + rhiz i was at 330ppm...

Edited by johnbs8

the strains that are really showing the purple veins are blueberry. the other three im growing are orange kush. they seem to not be affected as bad as the BB's are. i fed them all anyways. tap water at 200ppm + coco A n B 6ml of each and PH to 5.8. total PPM is around 400. hoping they come back but im sure they will as they just have to be hungry. will keep all udated. thanks for the help. also, how often should i be feeding these guys? it takes about 2 days for them to start to get dry. i read that i should always keep the coco moist. for theses lil guys what kind of feed schedule should they be on. what to look for?

+1 to zapatosunidos and his shoes. I've been growing in coco, handwatered, for a few years, treating it exactly the way he describes.

I would back off on nutrients a bit while they're growing roots into the larger pot, but you likely need some added calcium and magnesium since you started off with RO water. I usually water in my seedlings and new clones with 1/2 strength nutes (that's 1/2 of my normally weak feedings), 6 ml / gallon Botanicare Cal-Mag, 5.7 PH, tap water.

i think they're short on nurts,,,check PH..you can give them a little super thrive...i start seeds in coco core mixed with per/vert and slowly start adding nurts at the stage your showing now..alittle goes along way at this stage don't burn them...keep nurts/water off leaves if there under hot lights...good luck...zb

thanks for the help guys. ive started them on tap water at 200ppm a n b with rhiz total about 400ppm. they seem to be coming back. 60% humidity at 79deg consistant under T5 lamps. seems the 2 gal smart pots take about 2 days till they seem to need a feed (top starts to dry out) . i just checked run off on one and it was PH of 6.1 and about 400 ppm coming out so im hoping im doing this right. Thanks for all the help. johnbs8

The only thing that I suggest to all new growers is START OUT IN SOIL. Sure, non soil grow meiums are fine, an aqua grows are okay, but nothing forgives errors like good old dirt. Many of us make common mistakes when growing, some of us never learn...but...if you really want to understand this plant, how nutes work and all the aspects of growing this plant, please folks GIVE SOIL A CHANCE, it will improve the number of successful start ups immensly...just too many things can go horribly wrong with any grow medium, soil as more forgiving than all others...Peace...j.b.

Zapatos, Thanks for the great info. I have successfully grown and harvested nice budz with soil but i was looking for something different. hence the coco. with every plants its diff but basically the same principles.I'm glad you guys are chiming in and giving a fellow brother a hand. I need to get this off n running as i have some people that are seriously in need and i really want to help them. I know first hand about the affects of medicine(Mary Jane) and how it really does help people as my wife died of cancer at the age of 30. marijuana was the only thing that kept her eating and not feeling sick all the time. it actually gave her some life!! These politicians are fuckn donkey holes and this country needs to wise up!! This is our country! we the people are responsible!! we've let the gov get way out of control while we laxed back. enuff already i say!! let the marijuana grow freely and save this country !! Anyways,thanks for the help, I'm sure ill be back with more what did i do wrong here lol when i make it threw a harvest, all who has been involved with helping me on my way, we should get together and try out the harvest. i call it a harvest party and have had them before to celebrate the harvest lol good times and Ty guys a bunch!!

• 4 weeks later...

i just checked the runoff of my coco as i PH my nutes to 5.7. the runoff is 6.56 my leaves are cupping under and the edges are pointing up. im thinking i have lockout from high PH. im going to recalibrate my combo pen just to make sure and then recheck. any of this make sense? also if i do have to flush to bring down the PH should i use RO with some canna A n B at a very low dose? TY john

• 1 month later...

You are getting nutrient lockout because of overwatering. Now granted....coco will only use what it can hold but that does not mean that you should keep the roots drowned in water. Do not water everyday when you have a small plant in a container. You should be able to go several days with out water. OXYGEN is critical to root development as well....canna coco pith are like microscopic sponges that retain a great water to air ratio when watered properly. If you compromise this ratio by feeding everyday or more than once in a 3 day time than you will overwater the plant...thus creating nutrient lockout. You need to let the top inch or so...depending on the size container....dry out that lets you know that the plant is using the water. After the flush and the coco dries a little...you should start a feeding.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...

I'm also in the process of trying Coco . Seems to be 3 main schools of thought : 1) Treat it like hydro . Small pots totally rooted out & then multiple feeds per day with as much as 20% overflow . 2) Hempy style with Perlite . Most using 2.5 to 5gal black pails . Only have to feed every 3 days again with 10-20% overflow . Takes longer starting in a bigger pot & slower growth compared to method 1 until roots hit res in bottom of buckets . Traditionally done with straight Perlite , or fill up to just above drain with Perlite & put Coco on top . Seems like this is made for a geezer like me . 3) Some folks have plenty of room or can grow outdoors . Use huge pots , some have beds full of Coco & grow trees .

CalMag - Canna assumes use of tap water around 140ppm . RO & like me ( tap 30ppm ) gonna need additional calcium & magnesium also , until you're feed is 700ppm or above . At those levels Canna A & B supply enough + their Coco is pre buffered . Without supplement around week 4-5 precharge is used up & feed level not up to the 700 threshold . Canna is also real sneaky on what they put in each bottle , unlike other companies working up a nutriant profile with Canna is difficult . They & AN actually grow their products work well but aint cheap . I've got their whole lineup & Coco . Once used & I'll probably be looking at Jack's .

Lots of good info on ICM , The Farm . Google growing in coco . Hope this helps .