Traffic Stop Turns Into Drug Bust,

Captain Obvious

This will be an interesting case, They obviously must be CA Card holders and do have some protection under MMMA.

Question is just how much protection do they really have ? Do they have to follow Mi or CA MM Law ?

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/calhoun-1391449-pounds-county.html

May 26, 2011 8:17 PM

CALHOUN COUNTY, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – The Calhoun County Sheriff's Department says a traffic stop netted them fourteen pounds of marijuana, prescription narcotics and illegal steroids.

Deputies say they stopped the vehicle Thursday on I-96 near 27 Mile Road in Sheridan Township for speeding. Upon further investigation, deputies discovered the drugs rolled up in a sleeping bag.

The vehicle was being driven by a 30-year-old man from Auburn, California. Also in the vehicle was a 31-year-old man from Desert Hot Springs, California.

The men told deputies they were heading to the Detroit area.

The passenger told deputies that he owns a medical marijuana growing company out of California. Deputies were told that the marijuana was valued between $60,000 and $80,000 in Michigan.

Charges for both the driver and the passenger are currently pending for delivering/manufacturing marijuana, possession of prescription narcotics and possession of illegal steroids.

tricky choice, support "our law" or defend "no imported medicine"

This presents a conundrum. Do we rally behind people importing medicine?

If I take the stance that they have protections under the act, will that be construed as i support imported medicine?

or the reciprocal, If I oppose the importation of medicine from other states, will i be seen as not supporting the language in the act that may justify it?

tricky indeed

This has nothing to do with the MMMA, they are dealers and got busted, pills, steroids and 14 pounds, yea that's medical LOL. Interstate transport also puts them under federal jurisdiction. They are going to prison, regardless of either mi or ca law! And I hope they do for making the law look bad, they are stupid and deserve an education.

If it was just MMJ and a legal amount, I wouldn't have a problem with them having it as I have openly admitted to knowing friends who have flown back LEGALLY with LEGAL amounts of meds from cali (they have all been incredible BTW) and I don't think anyone should be arrested for MJ at all, especially if they are medically certified. BUT 14 pounds, come on, that is not medical that is drug dealing, and the fact that they had other things is no bueno. I don't want them to go to jail for a long time or anything like that, but if they were willing to do the crime they better be willing to man up and take the charges for what they did, I think they are going to be spending some time in jackson.

Well since they are from cali, they could NOT have any MI patients, so that would mean that they could only have between them 5oz if they are Cali patients. So that means that 13lb's and 11oz's were for a "continued and uninterrupted supply"? I dont buy it and I doubt a jury will either... Plus having pills and steroids too, I would not not back these two either way.....

Why is there even a question if we'd support this type of crime?! Freaking carpetbaggers is all they are! Figured they'd come here to Michigan with their illegal drugs make some money then bail back to Cali with the illegal profits.

I don't want them people or any other out of state drug dealers coming here and giving us another black eye and or ammunition to be used against us in the court of public opinion.

Some places in CA allow 3 lbs or more per patient. And you can go over that with a Dr Rec.

I don't agree with what they are doing, but if they go with CA law, they aren't that far off if they have a few PT's under them. The steroids and whatnot, they better have percriptions for themselves for that stuff too though.

I am with many others here though, until LEO and legislatures leave our law alone, I would acquit. Just straight up, not guilty... Now if Snyder and his minions left the good people of MI alone who are abiding the law or trying to at least, then I might listen to the whole case.

VOTE NOT GUILTY ON ANY MARIJUANA CASE UNTIL THEY LEAVE US ALONE.

Just my $.02

Cedar

Why is there even a question if we'd support this type of crime?! Freaking carpetbaggers is all they are! Figured they'd come here to Michigan with their illegal drugs make some money then bail back to Cali with the illegal profits.

I don't want them people or any other out of state drug dealers coming here and giving us another black eye and or ammunition to be used against us in the court of public opinion.

Why would we support them? Well, if a jury acquits, the general public assumes there is evidence that the jury knows of and the public doesn't, so it must not have been a real crime. If you vote guilty, then the public says our law is bringing in crime and illegal activity.

Besides, why would you want to throw 2 californians in our jails, and pay $40,000 a year to keep them there? Send em back to CA, let CA pay for their jail time.

Cedar

Guest knucklehead bob

Deputies say they stopped the vehicle Thursday on I-96 near 27 Mile Road in Sheridan Township for speeding. Upon further investigation, deputies discovered the drugs rolled up in a sleeping bag. ................ OBEY ALL TRAFFIC LAWS ! Avoidance is the best chance anyone has with LEO . I tell at least 2 people a week about brake or tail lights being inoperative on their vehicle . Simple , avoidable ,

reasons to be "Lit Up" by LEO .

I do NOT support these guys....they are not only engaged in a criminal enterprise.....they are STUPID !!!!!

dr. jinx

"Before the GODS knock us down, they make us crazy !!!!"

I agree with you.

I wouldn't support these guys, I would however vote not guilty. It is about what we believe the law should be, and protesting the ill treatment of truly sick people who need MMJ by the LEO, judges and lawmakers in MI, Michigan should be ruled by "We the people" and not "We the Rick Snyder Supporters".

There are many ways to protest, but sending these guys to jail, even if they deserve it, would be worse press for us than if they were just sent back to CA without their stash.

Plain and simple the reason they did it - "The men told deputies they were heading to the Detroit area. The passenger told deputies that he owns a medical marijuana growing company out of California. Deputies were told that the marijuana was valued between $60,000 and $80,000 in Michigan."

A cali dispensary wanted to jack up prices on their meds for profit, not to help patients. And since they took money out of local growers hands, local growers have trouble substaining compassionate prices.

If we could grow outdoors legally in Michigan - other states that allow outdoor growers will not profit in our state.

-DN

if the facts presented above are all to the story, then they are breaking the law.

Mi MMM law allows for a VISITING Pt (not sure if these 2 guys are CA Pts or not, but if they are)to be in possession of 2.5 oz of useable cannabis at any given point. 2 guys, 2 CA PT Cards to cover visiting Pt rule, is 5 oz, which is approximatly 13 lbs and 11 oz over the limit. Illegal.

Illegal Narcotics, Illegal Steriods (both way more dangerous)

imo, they took their spin of the wheel and landed on the busted square.

regardless of intent, they are way over the laws allowance. IE Illegal

jm2c.

Timmahh

Why don't we formally ask the police to donate the medication to a group that provides simpson oil free? If they said no, it would be quite a lack of compassion on their behalf. Instead destroy the evidence.

"STOP THE CALI"...Money the Root Of All Evil!!!..."No I Do Not Support Breaking The Law"...I'd Rather Know My Tax Dollars Are Thaking Care Of The Inport Of MMJ!!!.. Rather Paying For some Kind of Witch Hunt On, US!!!....Mich ~ Patient's/Cargiver's....Just My Opion!!..Peace!!

"Money the Root Of All Evil!!!...

Money is not the root of all evil. The love of money is the root of all evil.

There is a difference.

and who hopes someone goes to prison for making a law look bad? wow How are you going to feel when cannabis is legalized? That it should still be a controlled substance and there should be laws on the books that lock people up for this plant? Rhetorical, no answer needed.

I can't wait till I read the first "STOP THE OHIO MEDICINE FROM COMING ACROSS THE BORDER!!!!!!!" post on here.

And who drives to transport these days anyway........ especially from out there?

I do like the idea of the medicine that was "netted" be released back to population.

This has nothing to do with the MMMA, they are dealers and got busted, pills, steroids and 14 pounds, yea that's medical LOL. Interstate transport also puts them under federal jurisdiction. They are going to prison, regardless of either mi or ca law! And I hope they do for making the law look bad, they are stupid and deserve an education.

Education in how to be a law-abiding citizen is not available in prison.

This is why I like carrying pennies, makes it easy to add my 2-cents.

Illegal steroids are illegal regardless what state you’re in.

As for the possession of prescription narcotics, they must not have been packages, or the pill bottles listed names of people not in the car.

One thing certain, if these two had any protection under MI law, it would be the same as a registered MI patient -2.5 ounces. There is no caregiver protection. Fourteen pounds of marijuana, well hell, that’s 13 pounds-13.5 ounces too much.

Pick one of the three items found, and their arses are toast.

Oh yeah, there is that pesky interstate commerce, drugs across state lines thing.

Archived