Spider Mites

Lennox

I just encountered my first and hopefully last meeting with mites. How do these get into your garden, how to treat & prevent this from happening... Also can one just prune all the leaves in addition to treating with like a Zero Tolerance, can or do they just eat leaves or do they eat or the fruit as well???

I just encountered my first and hopefully last meeting with mites. How do these get into your garden, how to treat & prevent this from happening... Also can one just prune all the leaves in addition to treating with like a Zero Tolerance, can or do they just eat leaves or do they eat or the fruit as well???

I keep several treatments around, including neem oil, No Spider Mites (thanks to Tarzan), Mite Rid and Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap (concentrate).

I use Hot shot pest strips in my grow areas and so far it has kept mites from invading my grow room :thumbsu:

Mites usually come from infected clones thats why each person should closely examine any outside genetics.

I also keep pest strips handy - most are strongly against using this though. I havent had any bad experiences, it works the best.

I keep several treatments around, including neem oil, No Spider Mites (thanks to Tarzan), Mite Rid and Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap (concentrate).

I also keep pest strips handy - most are strongly against using this though. I havent had any bad experiences, it works the best.

From what I've been told, it's good to have a variety of measures to kill and prevent mites. Keep them on their toes and keep em guessing!

Yeah I am using 2 inline fans each with their own organic filter, after networking with my guy apparently their is like 10 different types of mites & the one I encountered was 2nd to worst(figures with my luck :notfair: )anywho he said it was fine to continue on with the Zero Tolerance but also suggested that I use it in conjunction with something else so the mites do not become resistant like the one's by way of Cali.... So I picked up something & wish me well :bow: ....So I cleaned my room THRICE and after discussing it with everyone only way to stay on top of em is doing preventive treatments to EVERYTHING introduced into our gardens and also choose strains contingent upon our season as well... It is only my 2nd medicinal grow and am eager to learn and pay my dues!!! :gym:

If you want an ounce of prevention protection try using neem meal in your soil, it is a nutrient, plus it has 6% neem oil in the meal. The plants take up the neem, and bugs do not eat neem tasting things. Also crab meal in the soil attracts chitin eating bacteria. Crab shells are made of chitin as are exoskeletons of bugs. So the bacteria will actually eat the bugs alive. I've done two cycles now using neem meal, karanja meal (similar to neem) and crab meal, along with a weekly spraying of neem oil up to early flower. So far no bugs, no problems, and the plants are digging the nutrient values of the meals in their soil.

If you have mites currently, I would spray with something with pryethrums in it, like fox farms don't bug me, or cheaper garden store varieties. This will kill adults, but not eggs. And after two or three sprays they become immune to it, but it is organic, and has pretty good knockdown power. Then start the neem spraying every three days, untill there gone.

In flower I recommend using dried lavender flowers. You mix up a quart of water to around a half cup of the dried flowers, let it sit for 48 hours, shaking on occasion. Mix this at one cup of the strained water to one gallon of water for an effective spray. This will kill eggs and mites, and it is also a nutrient for your plants plus it smell great.

I get my neem oil, karanja oil, both cakes(meals)from neem resource. The dried lavender flowers you can grow and harvest yourself or order over the net. The pryethrum sprays I get at the local hardware store. The crab meal is available on the net or at one of the larger well stocked hydro stores........good luck.......shredder

edit be sure to spray at lights out as neem degrades in light and heat, and spray untill they are drooping over, the next day they will look absolutely great because they love neem.

Guest Mr_smith

This is just my opinion.. I deal with alot of people that come into my store with mite problems.

Organic- Real Ladybugs (although they actually prefer aphids) and Liquid Ladybug.. Azamax is good too

Non-organic- Hot shot strips.. Dr doom Spider mite ko..

• 3 weeks later...

This is truly the best method, never use the same anti-mite measures twice in a row, these little buggers can adapt to your methods, what works this time won't necessarily work the next... at least in my own experience...Peace... j.b.

If you want an ounce of prevention protection try using neem meal in your soil, it is a nutrient, plus it has 6% neem oil in the meal. The plants take up the neem, and bugs do not eat neem tasting things. Also crab meal in the soil attracts chitin eating bacteria. Crab shells are made of chitin as are exoskeletons of bugs. So the bacteria will actually eat the bugs alive. I've done two cycles now using neem meal, karanja meal (similar to neem) and crab meal, along with a weekly spraying of neem oil up to early flower. So far no bugs, no problems, and the plants are digging the nutrient values of the meals in their soil.

If you have mites currently, I would spray with something with pryethrums in it, like fox farms don't bug me, or cheaper garden store varieties. This will kill adults, but not eggs. And after two or three sprays they become immune to it, but it is organic, and has pretty good knockdown power. Then start the neem spraying every three days, untill there gone.

In flower I recommend using dried lavender flowers. You mix up a quart of water to around a half cup of the dried flowers, let it sit for 48 hours, shaking on occasion. Mix this at one cup of the strained water to one gallon of water for an effective spray. This will kill eggs and mites, and it is also a nutrient for your plants plus it smell great.

I get my neem oil, karanja oil, both cakes(meals)from neem resource. The dried lavender flowers you can grow and harvest yourself or order over the net. The pryethrum sprays I get at the local hardware store. The crab meal is available on the net or at one of the larger well stocked hydro stores........good luck.......shredder

edit be sure to spray at lights out as neem degrades in light and heat, and spray untill they are drooping over, the next day they will look absolutely great because they love neem.

I just purchased a two pound bag of the lavender flowers to use in my vaporizer when my COPD acts up, now I'll have to give this method a try, thanks Shredder... Peace ... j.b.

This is just my opinion.. I deal with alot of people that come into my store with mite problems.

Organic- Real Ladybugs (although they actually prefer aphids) and Liquid Ladybug.. Azamax is good too

Non-organic- Hot shot strips.. Dr doom Spider mite ko..

Amen. I ordered 4000 ladybugs online from http://www.highsierraladybugs.com/. $25. I had a bad orange mite infestation. Two days after ordering I received the bugs and released about 1/4 of them into my grow area. I noticed a difference within just a couple of days. Yes, they prefer aphids, but will eat mites if no aphids are present. I keep the rest of the ladies in a container in the fridge (you can keep them this way for several months) and release a few hundred a week to ensure that I'm getting all live mites and any newly hatched guys.

Plus, to be honest, I think they're just kind of fun to watch work!

I just purchased a two pound bag of the lavender flowers to use in my vaporizer when my COPD acts up, now I'll have to give this method a try, thanks Shredder... Peace ... j.b.

It works very, very well JB. i have been using it in my veggie garden on beans, along with my herb. The last 5 years my bean leafs are eaten up by some invisible bugs every year. This year one neem spray and a couple of lavender sprays have worked very well. And i doubt you will ever have a better smelling bug spray. I have not had enough experience to tell if it loses effectiveness over time yet, so on that question IDK.

But i do disagree with your advice not to use the same thing twice in a row. That is good advice for pyrethrum sprays and maybe other sprays, but not neem or karanja cake (meal) or there oils. This stuff along with crab meal in the soil works great. I look at it as maintainance that must be done regularly to prevent bugs. While i have only done this routine through two cycles I'm sold on it. And it's not just mites it works on, the crab meal will take care of gnats and the neem takes care of powdery mildew as well. Some folks on the north west coast are now mixing the neem and karanja oils and selling it as a cure all for bugs and mildew. But we can buy this direct from neem resource, and probably will be much cheaper than when big bussines catches on.

Where i live (in the woods) mites are a fact of life, you can't really avoid them. They live in short needled pines, in grass. They float on air currents, attach themselfs to you, your dog, your cat and so on. I am now thinking I can not stop every mite, but I can prepare to make their time in my grow room, not worth their time and effort.

If I had more ambition, and better health, I would buy this stuff by the gallons and mix it up in small quanities and market it. I feel that strong about it.

Let us know how the dried lavender works in your vape, that's a new one on me..........shredder

Guest Mr_smith

If I had a mite problem, I would personally use predator mites. Once they eat all the regular spider mites they eat each other. No mess :sword:

You have to stop growing, and start from scratch.

1. only have clones.

2. clean clones with a ice wate, azamax, and captain jacks dead bug dip.

3. move clones to clean area and repeat dip weekly.

4. clean the grow area with bleach.

5. drop bombs.

6. repaint

7. hope you got them all

anything else your wasting time.

If that seems like to much, you can skip steps 4-7 just move.

If I had a mite problem, I would personally use predator mites. Once they eat all the regular spider mites they eat each other. No mess :sword:

Doesn't really work, there super expansive with the amount you need to get rid of a full blown mite infestation, plus you cant use any pesticide while using predator mites because they will kill them, so before the predator mites can even make a dent in a mite population the mites will have destroyed the crop. Predator mites might work well on moms and clones.

But making a dip works for sure!

Clones are the root of mite problems, only having clones means bunny muffin from an outside source which is how mites spread, Remove everything, clean well and the mites will die without a food source, restart from seed, or properly treat the clones prior to bringing them in.

Archived