33 replies to this topic

#1 Lennox

Lennox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

I just encountered my first and hopefully last meeting with mites. How do these get into your garden, how to treat & prevent this from happening... Also can one just prune all the leaves in addition to treating with like a Zero Tolerance, can or do they just eat leaves or do they eat or the fruit as well???

#2 Kingdiamond

Kingdiamond

Basement lumberjack

• Forum Leaders
  • 5,483 posts
  • LocationDeadford

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

I use Hot shot pest strips in my grow areas and so far it has kept mites from invading my grow room :thumbsu:

Mites usually come from infected clones thats why each person should closely examine any outside genetics.

#3 curegiver

curegiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 07:11 PM

I use Mighty Wash and am 100% satisfied.

But I find is VERY difficult to get rid of them 100%. Many rooms, different schedules, unable to clean all at once.

*intake filters are a must!

#4 goonies never say die

goonies never say die

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

I just encountered my first and hopefully last meeting with mites. How do these get into your garden, how to treat & prevent this from happening... Also can one just prune all the leaves in addition to treating with like a Zero Tolerance, can or do they just eat leaves or do they eat or the fruit as well???

I keep several treatments around, including neem oil, No Spider Mites (thanks to Tarzan), Mite Rid and Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap (concentrate).

I use Hot shot pest strips in my grow areas and so far it has kept mites from invading my grow room :thumbsu:

Mites usually come from infected clones thats why each person should closely examine any outside genetics.

I also keep pest strips handy - most are strongly against using this though. I havent had any bad experiences, it works the best.

#5 goonies never say die

goonies never say die

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

I keep several treatments around, including neem oil, No Spider Mites (thanks to Tarzan), Mite Rid and Safer Brand Insect Killing Soap (concentrate).

I also keep pest strips handy - most are strongly against using this though. I havent had any bad experiences, it works the best.

From what I've been told, it's good to have a variety of measures to kill and prevent mites. Keep them on their toes and keep em guessing!

#6 Lennox

Lennox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yeah I am using 2 inline fans each with their own organic filter, after networking with my guy apparently their is like 10 different types of mites & the one I encountered was 2nd to worst(figures with my luck :notfair: )anywho he said it was fine to continue on with the Zero Tolerance but also suggested that I use it in conjunction with something else so the mites do not become resistant like the one's by way of Cali.... So I picked up something & wish me well :bow: ....So I cleaned my room THRICE and after discussing it with everyone only way to stay on top of em is doing preventive treatments to EVERYTHING introduced into our gardens and also choose strains contingent upon our season as well... It is only my 2nd medicinal grow and am eager to learn and pay my dues!!! :gym:

#7 LongHairBri

LongHairBri

Plant Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationTrees in the D
Contributor

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

in michigan there are two types we deal with. the orange spider mite (easier to eradicate) and our little friend the two spotted brown spider mite

#8 Lennox

Lennox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:35 AM

Yeah but seeing that we or at least I do & several others network with Cali, Denver, Las Vegas for different genetics and hence got their bug...

#9 LongHairBri

LongHairBri

Plant Manager

• Administrators
  • 2,578 posts
  • LocationTrees in the D
Contributor

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:08 AM

Neem cake (mosquito dunks) work great

#10 Shredder

Shredder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

If you want an ounce of prevention protection try using neem meal in your soil, it is a nutrient, plus it has 6% neem oil in the meal. The plants take up the neem, and bugs do not eat neem tasting things. Also crab meal in the soil attracts chitin eating bacteria. Crab shells are made of chitin as are exoskeletons of bugs. So the bacteria will actually eat the bugs alive. I've done two cycles now using neem meal, karanja meal (similar to neem) and crab meal, along with a weekly spraying of neem oil up to early flower. So far no bugs, no problems, and the plants are digging the nutrient values of the meals in their soil.

If you have mites currently, I would spray with something with pryethrums in it, like fox farms don't bug me, or cheaper garden store varieties. This will kill adults, but not eggs. And after two or three sprays they become immune to it, but it is organic, and has pretty good knockdown power. Then start the neem spraying every three days, untill there gone.

In flower I recommend using dried lavender flowers. You mix up a quart of water to around a half cup of the dried flowers, let it sit for 48 hours, shaking on occasion. Mix this at one cup of the strained water to one gallon of water for an effective spray. This will kill eggs and mites, and it is also a nutrient for your plants plus it smell great.

I get my neem oil, karanja oil, both cakes(meals)from neem resource. The dried lavender flowers you can grow and harvest yourself or order over the net. The pryethrum sprays I get at the local hardware store. The crab meal is available on the net or at one of the larger well stocked hydro stores........good luck.......shredder

edit be sure to spray at lights out as neem degrades in light and heat, and spray untill they are drooping over, the next day they will look absolutely great because they love neem.

Edited by Shredder, 07 June 2011 - 09:23 AM.

#11 Lennox

Lennox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:23 PM

Thanks Shredder

#12 Lennox

Lennox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

I got some Ladybugs & Praying Mantis in the garden for everto help :sword:

#13 Guest_Mr_smith_*

Guest_Mr_smith_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

This is just my opinion.. I deal with alot of people that come into my store with mite problems.

Organic- Real Ladybugs (although they actually prefer aphids) and Liquid Ladybug.. Azamax is good too

Non-organic- Hot shot strips.. Dr doom Spider mite ko..

#14 Honeyoil

Honeyoil

Question Authority

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationThe Twilight Zone

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:26 AM

If you want an ounce of prevention protection...

Great Post Shredder!!

Thanks!

#15 bsmith

bsmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

Aza Max has worked great for me feeding it to the plants as a nutrient works great as a preventive.

#16 Frank R

Frank R

MMJ Community Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • LocationKeep it secret, keep it safe...

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:30 PM

I've had good success with Azamax/Azatrol.
Recently I've been using SM-90, as a drench and as a spray, with great success.
Much less expensive than Azamax...

#17 JuztBudz

JuztBudz

Advanced Member

• +CC-Organizer
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:22 AM

This is truly the best method, never use the same anti-mite measures twice in a row, these little buggers can adapt to your methods, what works this time won't necessarily work the next... at least in my own experience...Peace... j.b.

#18 JuztBudz

JuztBudz

Advanced Member

• +CC-Organizer
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

Neem cake (mosquito dunks) work great

How do you use these in a soil grow? Tyia (thank you in advance)... j.b.

#19 JuztBudz

JuztBudz

Advanced Member

• +CC-Organizer
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:28 AM

If you want an ounce of prevention protection try using neem meal in your soil, it is a nutrient, plus it has 6% neem oil in the meal. The plants take up the neem, and bugs do not eat neem tasting things. Also crab meal in the soil attracts chitin eating bacteria. Crab shells are made of chitin as are exoskeletons of bugs. So the bacteria will actually eat the bugs alive. I've done two cycles now using neem meal, karanja meal (similar to neem) and crab meal, along with a weekly spraying of neem oil up to early flower. So far no bugs, no problems, and the plants are digging the nutrient values of the meals in their soil.

If you have mites currently, I would spray with something with pryethrums in it, like fox farms don't bug me, or cheaper garden store varieties. This will kill adults, but not eggs. And after two or three sprays they become immune to it, but it is organic, and has pretty good knockdown power. Then start the neem spraying every three days, untill there gone.

In flower I recommend using dried lavender flowers. You mix up a quart of water to around a half cup of the dried flowers, let it sit for 48 hours, shaking on occasion. Mix this at one cup of the strained water to one gallon of water for an effective spray. This will kill eggs and mites, and it is also a nutrient for your plants plus it smell great.

I get my neem oil, karanja oil, both cakes(meals)from neem resource. The dried lavender flowers you can grow and harvest yourself or order over the net. The pryethrum sprays I get at the local hardware store. The crab meal is available on the net or at one of the larger well stocked hydro stores........good luck.......shredder

edit be sure to spray at lights out as neem degrades in light and heat, and spray untill they are drooping over, the next day they will look absolutely great because they love neem.

I just purchased a two pound bag of the lavender flowers to use in my vaporizer when my COPD acts up, now I'll have to give this method a try, thanks Shredder... Peace ... j.b.

#20 LansingAreaCaregiver

LansingAreaCaregiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationFlint, Lansing, Serving Statewide

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:38 AM

This is just my opinion.. I deal with alot of people that come into my store with mite problems.

Organic- Real Ladybugs (although they actually prefer aphids) and Liquid Ladybug.. Azamax is good too

Non-organic- Hot shot strips.. Dr doom Spider mite ko..

Amen. I ordered 4000 ladybugs online from http://www.highsierraladybugs.com/. $25. I had a bad orange mite infestation. Two days after ordering I received the bugs and released about 1/4 of them into my grow area. I noticed a difference within just a couple of days. Yes, they prefer aphids, but will eat mites if no aphids are present. I keep the rest of the ladies in a container in the fridge (you can keep them this way for several months) and release a few hundred a week to ensure that I'm getting all live mites and any newly hatched guys.

Plus, to be honest, I think they're just kind of fun to watch work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users