Blood Pressure/heart Rate

I have noticed since my wife has high blood pressure we know have a blood pressure monitor at home and I have been using it. Normally my reading are around 120 over 85+ heart rate around 90. Well when I smoke my heart rate may go upwards of 125 for a while after using. I have noticed on every occasion that the next day my reading will like 102+ over 74+ with heart rate around 74+ thats a big difference and it is everytime well three times I tried and tested it. So could small doses of a cannabis oil regulate your heart and blood pressure? I have read that Cannabis can do things to your blood pressure but have never experienced it on a monitor.

I used to work on a cardiac unit.

When you first start marijuana, until your body gets used to it, you can expect higher heart rates, and not necessarily blood pressure (it only went up 5 points for you). As your body gets accustomed to the vasodialation effects of the drug, it compensates faster.

I also stopped using blood pressure meds. I notice I was having 'orthostatic' blood pressure issues - uncomfortable drops or rises when using medical marijuana. I stopped using norvas 5mg. I would caution others, that have been using blood pressure medicine for a long time, stopping them could cause DEATH! You might be taking the medicine to control plaque and clotting. This is one medicine you have to think carefully before stopping.

One last medical note: some people can be allergic to marijuana. If the person vomits, has bad nausea after smoking marijuana - do not make them smoke more - they need to stop. As more of the population tries marijuana - more will find they might be a part of the small percentage that cannot use marijuana.

blood pressure safe range is at minimum 100/50, and the lowest safe heart rate is 60 bpm. If your blood pressure is around 200/100, smoking anything can be dangerous. Doctors follow the rule - start at a low dose, monitor, and work it up.

-DN

Longhairedbri is right. The stuff acts as a vasodilator, some of which are pharmaceutical agents that act as a class of drugs that any cardiologist will insist a heart patient, especially having had one or more heart attacks, take religiously, and have some miserable side effects. A couple of those drugs are Vasotec and Niaspan. The latter is the theme of one of the latest pharma advertising pushes; you know, the ads that pretend to be a loving family member telling us that eating cheeseburgers without the cheese is not enough. Many of us are allergic to these drugs. Vasotec caused me head to toe severe hives and Niaspan caused immense itching down to my bones to the point that I wanted to rip into my flesh to get to all of the itch. I am convinced that cannabis is a better alternative in my case. While not included in the allowed conditions within the law, it is an excellent off-label treatment, just as it is for other unnamed conditions. My cardiologist does not agree, but he is not looking at having to survive a fourth heart attack. Most people do not live to see the second.

When blood vessels become dilated, blood has a larger volume of space to fill. Hence one experiences typically lower blood pressure and a mild increase in heart rate to keep the newly opened vessels filled. I seem to have experienced that the effect is more beneficial in the long term, as the immediate effects are more pronounced. Regular use promotes cardiac health and results in more stable bp and pulse readings. This I know from experience.I avoid smoking the stuff very much, preferring to vape or make caps. Oil is a real option.

And whythehell has no one filed suit to have new conditions allowed as is provided for in the law?? We are doing ourselves no favors in ignoring that provision. In fact, we need to press more on that front because it hits close to the mark and makes for an articulate argument that it has more use as effective medical treatment, and is a legitimate foil against arguments that medical cannabis laws are nothing more than a move to open up recreational use. Then too, it has to be considered that if we can bring this to the fore, it will give the stooges something to keep them busy and away from the more harmful behavior we see daily.

The Digital Nomad made a point that each of us should consider very seriously. The medicines which we are prescribed to treat high blood pressure should not be abandoned to the idea that MMJ will take care of the problem. There are huge systemic things involved in maintaining our blood pressure. There's a constant attempt to adjust/adapt/compensate for conditions, and it involves multiple organs. The vasodilation affect of MMJ should reduce blood pressure temporarily, but getting up from laying down does the same thing, and all that has to do with is gravity. Reducing pain and anxiety should also reduce your blood pressure. It also involves being properly hydrated and having adequately functioning organs. I hope that it works for some of us, but it's not something that should be done haphazardly. Hypertension kills a lot of people. Be careful!

So GregS does is seem to regulate your pressure if you are on a constant low dose of Cannabis? I mean like every day take a capsule with a small amount of oil?

What ratchets my blood pressure up more than any other factor is the pain. At one time I attended a number of occupational therapy sessions. It was required that we take our bp before beginning and at intervals during the session. As my pain went up, so did my bp, to the point that I was told to quit the sessions and return after I got it back in line. I did not use cannabis then. Dope helps it as well as, if not better than, the pharmaceuticals (I remember Imdur and somethig else). So there is something to be said for the effectiveness of cannabis to control bp by way of helping to diminish pain. That said, my pain can become severe enough that there is nothing more, not even using massive quantities of dope, can relieve it altogether. At that point there is little left to do to get any more relief from the pain except to blow out my brains. Even while hurting that much my bp remains quite good. Inasmuch as anxiety is a real issue that bumps up my bp, cannabis does help to relieve that too, and I can watch my bp come back in line. There are enough times when I have to dose pretty heavily, beyond taking a cap or two daily and using a one hitter occasionally. On those occasions I break out the vape and enjoy a bag.. Taking caps, and I do use vegetable oil infused with the stuff by heating the oil combined with some leaf and/or bud and heat to temps between 212 degrees F with a double boiler or to maybe 250 degrees in a saucepan to cook with and to eat, It makes excellent salad dressings, makes a real nice cream sauce, and is great for sautee'. I find that those methods work very well. You might try making french onion soup. Using the cannabis infused oil to cook the onion down adds a whole new dimension to the term "comfort food. I have not ingested straight oil but once. It was great and I cannot say anything against using it. I am going under the knife soon to find relief for some of my pain, but there is other pain that is out of reach for the state of medicine without using some extreme whiz bang kinda treatment so I will continue to treat with it for what pain remains and the anxiety, and the tricked out bp they can bring.AndI still use plavix and other heart meds.I find that beta blockers make me extremely tired, and have avoided them for a long time now. Statin drugs, used to lower cholesterol intensifies joint pain, so I stay away from it.

The short answer is yes, I think so. By and large,since I began using cannabis, my bp remains consistently better. I have to wonder if you have tried caps, given the nature of your question. If you suffer from hypertension I recommend you try it, with the caveat that I have never been employed or trained in medical practice. I am speaking of my own experience which has been good.

And when heavily medicated, it becomes rreaaally easy to write too much.

The best part about visiting the "traditional" doctor was that she tried to act like I was a non-compliant patient because I quit taking my blood pressure pills. Then she took my blood pressure and it was lower than when I was on the pills. I've noticed that the medibles made with butter-not hash work better for my bp. I'm sure everyone is different. I think cutting out stress is the main thing and thats not easy when we are dealing with a bunch of bs with our law.

I have never used caps but am curious about the BP and if they would help my asthma. Since I started using MM my asthma ihaler use for both advair and alhbuterol have gone down to 1 time advair in morning and probably 5-8 uses of alhbuterol. I used to use both twice daily. My goal is to get off the advair if possible. My blood pressure is a little high due to the advair I think. so getting off that will probably help

Archived