Do I Need A Lighting Controller?

dxhydro

post-26031-0-40388900-1308136296_thumb.jpgLighting Controllers: A Fundamental Component of All Indoor Gardens

Every year, hundreds of growers find out that plugging H.I.D. lights into regular timers and power strips is a very dangerous combination – one that often results in fire due to electrical overload. Overloaded circuits used to power H.I.D. lights are the most common cause of grow room and greenhouse fires and the problem is more common that most people realize. It’s something you should never let happen to you and by learning how to choose the right equipment, you can avoid a potential disaster.

To run safely and avoid risking a fire, grow lights require a special lighting controller designed specifically to handle demanding power loads. Grow room lighting requires more power than any other component in your garden. So it only makes sense that before you invest in all of the gear to make your garden a success, you start with a good lighting controller – one that can safely provide the power your lights demand. It’s a fundamental building block that no indoor garden should be without and anything less is putting your entire operation at risk. The right lighting controller will ensure the safe operation of your H.I.D. lights, while preventing dangerous overload conditions that can lead to a fire. It will allow your lights function at their full potential, and also give you piece-of-mind knowing that you have eliminated unnecessary risks. This article will explain the major components that make up an H.I.D. lighting controller and how they help keep you and your garden safe and keep your lights running at peak power and efficiency.

Lighting controllers contain a number of main components that help provide safe and secure operating conditions for H.I.D. lights. Most typically, a quality lighting controller will contain:

1.) A circuit breaker to protect against overloads;

2.) A high-power relay to allow the power to cycle on and off;

3.) A timer and/or a trigger cord to activate the relay;

4.) An array of outlets for plugging the lights in to; and

5.) An enclosure that houses all of these components safely and ensures containment in case anything overheats. All of these components work seamlessly together to provide control and safe operation of your lights.

Circuit Breaker. Good lighting controllers contain a built-in circuit breaker, which provides safety and protection from overloads. A circuit breaker acts like an ‘automatic shutoff valve’ if the lighting devices are trying to draw more current than the wiring and overall circuit is intended to handle. When the circuit breaker senses dangerous conditions, it cuts the power before an overload or an accident like a fire can occur. A circuit breaker with Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupt Protection (GFCI) provides the highest-level of safety, as it can prevent a fatal electrical shock in the event of a water splash, a flood, or a short-circuit in the garden area. GFCI circuit breakers immediately cut power when a microprocessor inside senses dangerous conditions. They are more expensive, but installing a GFCI in your main panel is worth it because they can literally save your life. Due to the presence of water in gardening areas, it is highly recommended you consider installing a GFCI breaker on the lighting controller's circuit.

High-Power Relay. The high-power relay (sometimes referred to as a ‘Contactor’) is one of the most important components in a lighting controller. The relay is like a valve that opens and closes when activated by a timing device, allowing power to flow, or stopping power from flowing. When activated, the relay’s contacts close and power flows to an array of power outlets in the controller. Relay contacts are plated with specialty metals designed to withstand the heavy electrical arcing that occurs when the contacts close. A lighting controller with a high-quality relay is a must, as the relay is typically subjected to very high stress levels. A high-quality relay also decreases resistance and allows the maximum amount of power to flow to the outlets, providing your lights with the maximum voltage and amperage levels they require.

Outlet Array. The outlet array refers to the power receptacles contained in the controller. These are the outlets that you plug the lights into. The outlet array is wired directly to the relay and the outlets are supplied power when the relay contacts are closed after being activated by the timing device. Depending on the capacity of the lighting controller you choose, there may be anywhere from two to 20+ outlets to plug lights into. It is usually wise to choose a controller that will run the lights you currently have, plus leave a couple of extra outlets in case you decide to expand in the future.

Timer or Trigger Cord. Most lighting controllers have either a built-in timer, or a trigger cord, that activates the relay at specified intervals. The timer is programmed to activate the relay according to the desired on/off light cycles. Lighting controllers that use a trigger cord operate in the same manner, except the trigger cord is plugged into an external timer (or other control device) that activates the relay via the trigger cord. The timer does not carry any of the load current, it merely activates the relay, which in turn carries the load current to the lights. Some high-end lighting controllers contain the option of both a timer and a trigger cord to allow the user greater flexibility in controlling the lights.

Enclosure. The enclosure houses all of the components of the lighting controller. Some lighting controllers have plastic enclosures, others have metal or steel enclosures. It is a wise idea to choose a controller with a durable enclosure that is sealed tightly so that moisture from the garden cannot infiltrate the case and cause components to corrode or otherwise degrade from excessive moisture and humidity.

We have now covered the basic function and component makeup of a lighting controller, you can see how it is an essential part of any indoor or greenhouse garden. As with all electrical devices, when installing a lighting controller, it is prudent to consult an electrician if you do not fully understand what you are doing. Remember, the most important lesson is: Don’t put your operation at risk. Be sure to invest in a high-quality controller to power your lighting and other electrical devices in your garden!

MOD EDITED POST

Here's a "Power Thief" controller that allows you to use your existing dryer circuit to run your grow room without losing the use of your dryer. This was a custom job for a Michigan grower.

post-26031-0-83689900-1308135868_thumb.jpg

As well written as it may be, this does appear to be more sales oriented than information oriented. Just in case it was something someone wanted info on though shouldn't this thread just be directed to the 'General Equipment Information' where our members can discuss the equipment needed to grow MM? (New & Used)

I found the information helpful. I had came up with the Dryer Circuit idea myself - you would run the dryer only when the grow room is off.

It is somewhat true about the surge protectors/power strips - do not overload them. 2 fans and 1 600watt light system runs fine on a work/industrial strength power strip, but I would not run 2 600watter on one strip.

yea - too bad you are killing your good posts with advertising - you could have just had your site in your signature and let people find you on their own.

-DN

Although it is an ad, it's very informative.

I got something out of reading it. I've already got a controller though.

If you're going to do anything, I would just delete his link to his store out. There's enough info above to help people around here.

Archived