Medical Marijuana, Medicaid & Pregnancy

Obviously there is disagreement on weather it is safe or not (which wasn't my question).... and when you google for info on it you get a lot of different opinions and info. I'm not trying to debate it ;-)

Just an update on my situation, in case anyone was wondering how it went.....

When I saw my OBGYN for the 1st time, we discussed it and he did not tell me that I have to stop using it. He told me that there are a lot of unknowns and basically it is like any other medication that I would have a prescription for, that it's up to me to continue or stop the medication. He said I shouldn't have any problems w/ the state (CPS) due to MJ being in mine or the baby's system, b/c I have the prescription for it. He also said he's had patients in the past that used medical MJ, and he hasn't seen any problems b/c of it (its nice to know that I am not the only one out there).

* The use of marijuana to ease the pangs of childbirth has been discussed in the United States as well. In 1930 a Pennsylvania physician sent this query to the Journal of the American Medical Association:

"If cannabis is taken to a point of intoxication during labor, what effect will it have on labor and on the newborn child?"

The AMA's consultants replied:

"... Its chief effects are on the central nervous system. There is a mixture of depression and stimulation similar to that occasionally seen under morphine. Soon after its administration the patient passes into a semiconscious state in which judgment is lost and vivid dreams occur. The sensation of pain is distinctly lessened or entirely absent and the sense of touch is less acute than normally. Hence a woman in labor may have a more or less painless labor. If a sufficient amount of the drug is taken, tile patient may fall into a tranquil sleep from which she will awaken refreshed. Some degree of tolerance for this drug is rapidly acquired and death from acute poisoning is rare. As far as is known, a baby born of a mother intoxicated with cannabis will not be abnormal in any way." 14 This opinion, of course, is subject to qualification today. The effect is not similar to morphine, and tolerance is not acquired. http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/library/studies/cu/cu53.html

• 1 year later...

Badbert. I am definitely not a doctor. I am an advocate of having my rights and making my own choices that are best for me and my family. Someone who smokes anything with a child inside them has taken the choice away from the child and is making a selfish decision. My wife is a patient and completely stopped while pregnant. Again I am not a doctor, but I do understand "natural selection". I don't feel the government should have to protect stupid people from themselves. People like the woman above are the reasons there are laws criminalizing marijuana. These are not victimless crimes when there is a child that this is forced upon. I am embarrassed that no one else on this site finds a problem with this. Some people look at marijuana users as" dopers", losers,etc. I wonder why. When I decided to have a child I put him first, not myself. I watch pregnant people smoke all the time. Whether it be cigarettes or medical marijuana, the mother has made a selfish decision to force onto their child. Thanks for helping the fight. I have found success in my life while being a medical marijuana patient. Im still a dad first.

DITTO! So well spoken I need not add anything, but well, Im gonna, I beleive a woman has a choice to do what she wants as far as birth or abortion, but once you choose to give birth, you should put that lil human in your belly ahead of all, You will be doing it all of your life once baby is born, why not start now, that baby has no say, god said woman should feel pain( sorry im not realy religious) but ive read the bible, if woman would have never told adam to eat the apple we wouldnt be having this discussion! :yahoo-wave:

did I realy say that last part? it is not fair to a baby to be getting high inside of the mothers belly, unless she/he passed you a message saying I need mm to feel better, I know they dont have a note pad or a way of getting you a note, so sorry there is no reason for a woman to put anything in her body other than nutritional foods and drinks to help that baby grow inside of you the best baby can, you cant have it both ways, choice for woman, no choice for the unborn, dont make much sense does it! stop abusing your baby, with any kind of medications, that is where i draw the line, I say listen to your dr. even if he is pro mm!

Thats my story and im sticking to it, I would never put something harmful in my body if I was a woman and pregnant, I didnt put anything bad in my body when my sons mother was pregnant, either, I lived like she lived, I may not have physicaly felt her pain but i mentaly felt it and I was there for the whole pregnancy and birth, and I will never have any regrets, my son turned out very well also, and yea it may all be by the grace of god, but you can help the outcome yourself and not rely on god or anyone else!

Peace

Jim