More Allies & Possible Funding For Mm Research

Mememe

http://nccam.nih.gov/about/ataglance/

What We Do

NCCAM sponsors and conducts research using scientific methods and advanced technologies to study CAM. CAM is defined simply as a group of diverse medical and health care interventions, practices, products, or disciplines that are not generally considered part of conventional medicine.

http://nccam.nih.gov/grants/priorities/#esi

Areas of Special Interest

Although a wide range of research topics are of interest to NCCAM, studies focusing on CAM interventions used frequently by the American public, and on the conditions for which they are most frequently used are particularly encouraged. These would include, but not be limited to, investigations of the impact of CAM modalities in alleviating chronic pain syndromes and inflammatory processes, and improving health and wellness. Among all types of studies, attention to a range of endpoints meaningful to improved health, well-being, and quality of life is strongly encouraged.

Investigators are urged to discuss applications with a relevant NCCAM Program Officer.

NCCAM is strongly committed to assisting new and early stage investigators in establishing a research career. Early stage investigators are those within 10 years of completing their terminal research degree, or their medical residency, or its equivalent. New investigators are those who have yet to compete successfully for a substantial (e.g., R01) NIH research grant. Each Advisory Council round, based on available funds, NCCAM: 1) will consider early stage or new investigator status as one of the criteria for designating grant applications as being of high program priority and 2) may make additional R01 grant awards to new and early stage investigators with percentiles or scores beyond the formal payline.

http://nccam.nih.gov/about/offices/od/director.htm

Exhaustive research by the scientific community has already been done, and the data is available.

One needs to only read the scientific data contained in the federal gov't patents on cannabis as neuroprotectant and you will see this is true.

The 'more research need to be done' is just another poor excuse to stop us from choosing what we put into our own body, which we have the right to choose.

• 2 weeks later...

Exhaustive research by the scientific community has already been done, and the data is available.

One needs to only read the scientific data contained in the federal gov't patents on cannabis as neuroprotectant and you will see this is true.

The 'more research need to be done' is just another poor excuse to stop us from choosing what we put into our own body, which we have the right to choose.

Actually there is almost no research on medical marijuana at all. The only research involving the actual administration of marijuana (like in, you know, a REAL scientific experiment) is Mexican ditch weed supplied by NIDA.

The problem with the threadmaker touting this as 'new allies' is this organization is just a division of NIH and the following quote:

"In fiscal year 2008, NCCAM funded 12% of applications received."

I have written 4 of these darn things and it takes WEEKS of work. For a 12% chance of getting funded....

Screw that! :growl:

If not research, where did they get all of these statistics? http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6630507/fulltext.html

I realize there has not been so much research done on actual patients but they sure know the molecular composition and what each of those substances are good for. Neuroprotectants for the demyelinating condition/mid-brain lesions of MS would sure be beneficial to MS patients which is what I am currently using cannabis for.

Was using cannabis for cord compression and pain of nerve damage, and it does help with some with that as I cut down on the opiates by 40%. I can also say there are no pharm-produced MS meds in me but only cannabis. My progressive relapse-remit MS is well under control due to cannabis and has not progressed in 2 years, according to my neurologist who is still anti-cannabis. My pain doctor is pro-cannabis but has been verbally warned by the hospital administration with total loss of hospital priveleges if he would ever recommend it. Who knows what the DEA told him too.

We are the living cannabis research project. They need look no further than us. I'll be a cannabis lab rat if it would make a positive difference.

Cannabis pour la paix ! :rock:

Actually there is almost no research on medical marijuana at all. The only research involving the actual administration of marijuana (like in, you know, a REAL scientific experiment) is Mexican ditch weed supplied by NIDA.

The problem with the threadmaker touting this as 'new allies' is this organization is just a division of NIH and the following quote:

"In fiscal year 2008, NCCAM funded 12% of applications received."

I have written 4 of these darn things and it takes WEEKS of work. For a 12% chance of getting funded....

Screw that! :growl:

I'm sure many here would help to reduce the workload, myself included, if you would like to try again. (I would like to see the 4 you already tried if that is OK.) Perhaps you may want to change the way the proposal is written. If it looks like you are trying to show positives of MM, then you are probably going to get denied. If, in your proposal, it looks like you would be trying to show MM is ineffective you likely would have a better chance of getting funded. The results of the MM study would be the same either way. Gotta use honey to catch the flies.

PS NCCAM was going through growing pains in '08

• 1 month later...

I'm sure many here would help to reduce the workload, myself included, if you would like to try again. (I would like to see the 4 you already tried if that is OK.) Perhaps you may want to change the way the proposal is written. If it looks like you are trying to show positives of MM, then you are probably going to get denied. If, in your proposal, it looks like you would be trying to show MM is ineffective you likely would have a better chance of getting funded. The results of the MM study would be the same either way. Gotta use honey to catch the flies.

PS NCCAM was going through growing pains in '08

I wrote 2 F31 (NIH) and 1 NSF Predoctoral Fellowship Grants proposing to use neurimaging biomarkers to predict early criminality in adolescents and a HUGE Michigan Economic Development Corporation grant (that ran over 90 pages with 40 pages of citations) on developing functional MRI into an infallible lie-detector. So no cannabis studies proposed for grants.

Currently I am doing a PhD dissertation interviewing medical marijuana patients and I did not bother to write a grant for funding, knowing that NIH, NIDA, and any other government agency is definitely NOT interested in funding cannabis research (unless you can show how awful the drug is, naturally). If I had chosen to study recovering cannabis "addicts" I PROMISE you I would have been able to find funding. The decks are more than stacked- the whole darn game is RIGGED.

I wrote 2 F31 (NIH) and 1 NSF Predoctoral Fellowship Grants proposing to use neurimaging biomarkers to predict early criminality in adolescents and a HUGE Michigan Economic Development Corporation grant (that ran over 90 pages with 40 pages of citations) on developing functional MRI into an infallible lie-detector. So no cannabis studies proposed for grants.

Currently I am doing a PhD dissertation interviewing medical marijuana patients and I did not bother to write a grant for funding, knowing that NIH, NIDA, and any other government agency is definitely NOT interested in funding cannabis research (unless you can show how awful the drug is, naturally). If I had chosen to study recovering cannabis "addicts" I PROMISE you I would have been able to find funding. The decks are more than stacked- the whole darn game is RIGGED.

Lawyercargiver working on PhD. Must be one of those dumb, lazy stoner types.

Timaaahh!!!!!!

Nice suggestion but I suspect that just like in 1971 when R Nixon had the NIH do a study on cannabis (he was probably hoping for negative material) his reaction to the NIH report that suggested that it be decriminalized was to do the opposite.

Really tough to operate when those in power deny science. I suspect that the only things that are going to make a difference is when enough states (lets say 26 make med mj legal. Then you will have people worried about getting elected again and start courting those who they used to denounce.

Timaaahh!!!!!!

Nice suggestion but I suspect that just like in 1971 when R Nixon had the NIH do a study on cannabis (he was probably hoping for negative material) his reaction to the NIH report that suggested that it be decriminalized was to do the opposite.

Really tough to operate when those in power deny science. I suspect that the only things that are going to make a difference is when enough states (lets say 26 make med mj legal. Then you will have people worried about getting elected again and start courting those who they used to denounce.

Nixon intended anti marijuana laws to be applied to people involved in the anti war movement. His discussion on the topic was recorded and preserved for the sake of history.

Nixon knew he couldn't put the protesters in jail just for protesting. But he intended to reek havoc on the movement.

Archived