Emergency Request. Patient Not On The Internet.

A patient that I know in Reed City has a urgent need.

The police have taken their car. The night before last, her husband was arrested for possession of a gram of cannabis. He has a patient card and is also a caregiver. The police arrested him anyway and impounded the car.

There was no testing of the patient that was driving.

In the morning the patient with the urgent need, is supposed to be in Ann Arbor for testing required for her transplant.

PLEASE .. can someone provide a ride for her?

There's a life in the balance right now.

Anyone?

Interesting .. the officer that arrested her husband last night was headed to the impound yard to release the car.

Then the officer got hospitalized before he could get there. He was in a traffic accident on his way to the yard.

Hmm. karma...

I hope everything works out. I would her help if I could.

Interesting .. the officer that arrested her husband last night was headed to the impound yard to release the car.

Then the officer got hospitalized before he could get there. He was in a traffic accident on his way to the yard.

Let's assume a little-known fact about this officer--he's deathly allergic to every known painkiller and his lone remaining hope--is cannabis. LOL.

If this woman meets the definition of a qualified individual with a disability, which she almost certainly does, it is possible and necessary to file a complaint with the ADA people at the DOJ for police misconduct. They have denied her reasonable accommodation for her disability. She has 180 days from the time of the police infraction to submit her complaint. Forms and information are available at http://www.ada.gov/. Also see http://www.nlg-npap.org/html/documents/HarringtonADA.pdf. It must be said that this only works where a systemic disregard for training and compliance with the ADA can be established.

In my case, a complaint filed regarding events wherein I was flatly refused accommodation is the hands of a DOJ officer and the complaint is being considered for prosecution. The details of my complaint must be held confidential for the time being because it would be stupid to let the departments and individuals involved know what my complaints are. IF the DOJ finds that there is enough merit in this instance, they will move forward with prosecution. Treble damages are available under certain circumstances. Keep in mind that the department receives an awful lot of complaints and finds it necessary to carefully sort through them. Adequate and pertinent documentation must be provided with the complaint, and subsequent documents can be added by mail or fax in your behalf. They do not take up every case.

This type of complaint could put the DOJ on the horns of a dilemma in that they must, by law, ensure that disabled individuals are not discriminated against within the definitions of the ADA, arguably even in cannabis related instances. For that reason prosecution of a claim would be immensely interesting, but not, I think, assured. The process can be expected to take at least several months.

Yes .. she made it.

Thank you for asking.

Oh good! Thank you!

If this woman meets the definition of a qualified individual with a disability, which she almost certainly does, it is possible and necessary to file a complaint with the ADA people at the DOJ for police misconduct. They have denied her reasonable accommodation for her disability. She has 180 days from the time of the police infraction to submit her complaint. Forms and information are available at http://www.ada.gov/. Also see http://www.nlg-npap.org/html/documents/HarringtonADA.pdf. It must be said that this only works where a systemic disregard for training and compliance with the ADA can be established.

In my case, a complaint filed regarding events wherein I was flatly refused accommodation is the hands of a DOJ officer and the complaint is being considered for prosecution. The details of my complaint must be held confidential for the time being because it would be stupid to let the departments and individuals involved know what my complaints are. IF the DOJ finds that there is enough merit in this instance, they will move forward with prosecution. Treble damages are available under certain circumstances. Keep in mind that the department receives an awful lot of complaints and finds it necessary to carefully sort through them. Adequate and pertinent documentation must be provided with the complaint, and subsequent documents can be added by mail or fax in your behalf. They do not take up every case.

This type of complaint could put the DOJ on the horns of a dilemma in that they must, by law, ensure that disabled individuals are not discriminated against within the definitions of the ADA, arguably even in cannabis related instances. For that reason prosecution of a claim would be immensely interesting, but not, I think, assured. The process can be expected to take at least several months.

Hmm. I wouldn't count on our Department of InJustice to do anything right, however, it may be worth pursuing.

Archived