Dte Is Comparing Your Electrical Use Against Your Neighbors

Dizledot

I received a "report" from DTE today explaining to me my electrical use is 5 times that of my neighbor. I had heard what I thought was a rumor about DTE tracking electric use and using it to turn in alleged grow operations. Due to the quick thinking of my husband who called them and gave explanation as to what would cause us to be so high. We are lucky in one aspect that our home is 3 times the size they used to compare usage. I would definitely call them and come up with a story such as we have 2 air conditioners and 2 furnaces. It was a little upsetting to read this today...

Anyone else get one of these?

"magic number is a bill of $1000 or higher for reporting" / quote

It appears that they have lowered the magic number my bill before the lights were turned on was around $400.00 a month its now a little over $700.00 a month. My bill has also steadily increased as opposed to just jumping up $300.00 more instantly. As long as I pay my bill every month its none of their f-ing business how much electricity I use!!!

Oh but silly ME! I forgot the transmission lines belong to the federal government and DTE just maintains the lines, the equipment and bills us for service....darn feds again!

So what did the report claim. "hey Mr and Mrs. Dizldot, you are using 5x more electricity than your neighbors"

Yes that's exactly what it stated, we are using 5 times more than our neighbors and we ranked #100 out of 100 which put us in the category of overusing electricity and doing nothing to reduce our use....basically we are electric pigs! It had a graph of our gas use as well as electrical use that compared us to 100 of our neighbors. It really pissed me off to see this show up in the mail today.

I know mine is a lot higher, however having a much bigger house I am not too worried, and I would tell them it is medical equipment.

Now for what some of those are if questioned, I would make up a hot tub, and and and... I like to keep my hot tub at 105degrees 24/7... Even in winter... and I also have a endless pool, which I keep on just in case the dogs want to use it, and I have it cooled to 65 degrees 24/7...Tanning bed, keep that on for the dogs too.

Then there is the respirator, medical bed, heart monitors, etc etc... I don't even know what half this stuff does. Geez, call my doctors and ask them.

I received a "report" from DTE today explaining to me my electrical use is 5 times that of my neighbor. I had heard what I thought was a rumor about DTE tracking electric use and using it to turn in alleged grow operations. Due to the quick thinking of my husband who called them and gave explanation as to what would cause us to be so high. We are lucky in one aspect that our home is 3 times the size they used to compare usage. I would definitely call them and come up with a story such as we have 2 air conditioners and 2 furnaces. It was a little upsetting to read this today...

Anyone else get one of these?

I have received a hard copy of these I think 2-3 times a year. But they do have a comparison online with every bill. When I first bought my house I checked it all the time, it was kind of a contest for me to pay less than my neighbors.. lol As a matter of fact my last bill was for 700 kwh less than my bill last year!! And I am running $20 less than my neighbors. Nice! lol

Because the federal government does not have the money to spend to install new transmission lines, these are the high tension lines that run cross state and country, they have given local utilities money to reduce electric demand. One project was rebates for replacing HID lighting in commercial buildings with high output fluorescent lights. The thought is that reducing power usage will allow for growth without adding new transmission lines. The government does not own the local lines or poles which run behind your homes, they only own the high tension transmission lines. Those poles behind your homes are owned by one utility or another, usually the electric utility and they lease to the phone and cable companies. The purpose of sending you that letter is probably to prod you in to reducing your electrical usage and may have nothing to do with growing operations.

I would check out the DTE website and their energy saving tips and giveaways like free appliance haul aways . ITs the last month to file for a home heating credit . Don't stress it wont help and everyone has higher bils nowadays with computers on , tv's especially the disabled sadly whose run every waking hour or more if monitoring health care equipment . A 1000 watt light is equal to a dehumidifier or 10k air conditoner running . A old CRT monitor or TV can be a energy hog . same with old freezers or refridgerators . Don't stress it wont help to panic . We have to support eachother to stay calm and as stress free as possible for our health .

When we feel stress we need only remember we encourage freedom of choice . 2 we seek the course that allows everyone to follow their concience without reverting to harming those who differ . Prohibitionists or those supporting the status quo cannot say the same . They offer no choice ,they harm those who differ with them and support a industry that profits by a manafactured crime , and forced treatments , testing and punishment .

Ive seen alot of the new electric meters going in , my friends in toronto say they have been putting them in there so they can moniter electric useage more accurately ,ie light cycles ect. Should be interesting to see what hapens here in Mi.

Well, You would think ALL the money DTe, Is making off our grows, You would think, they would be backing us to KEEPP growing as Patients..SO they KEEP making MLLIONS off us..We should get a cpl Lawyers to send them a note, asking for MONEY donations for our cause...What you all think of that idea?

Well, You would think ALL the money DTe, Is making off our grows, You would think, they would be backing us to KEEPP growing as Patients..SO they KEEP making MLLIONS off us..We should get a cpl Lawyers to send them a note, asking for MONEY donations for our cause...What you all think of that idea?

If they would maintain their antiquated lines that fail when there is a large demand for power they wouldn't be so concerned about our use. Recently on a daily basis we heard news reports of areas with brown outs and no power at all. They would have to upgrade the lines, sub stations etc in order to supply the capacity needed during high usage periods. God forbid should these guys actually have to work...LOL...its like watching the county guys, 1 to hold the shovel and 5 more to watch and make sure the 1st guy is doing it right! Most of their conserve power talk is an environmental issue but the other reasons is the fact they don't want to invest the $$$$$ to upgrade and maintain what is already in place.

If they would maintain their antiquated lines that fail when there is a large demand for power they wouldn't be so concerned about our use. Recently on a daily basis we heard news reports of areas with brown outs and no power at all. They would have to upgrade the lines, sub stations etc in order to supply the capacity needed during high usage periods. God forbid should these guys actually have to work...LOL...its like watching the county guys, 1 to hold the shovel and 5 more to watch and make sure the 1st guy is doing it right! Most of their conserve power talk is an environmental issue but the other reasons is the fact they don't want to invest the $$$$$ to upgrade and maintain what is already in place.

The problem with that is that sure they could replace all the lines, but they would have to SEVERELY increase our bills to do this. It is more cost efficient for them and for US that they do send out the usage comparisons and notices to try and cut your electrical usage at certain times. If DTE or any other electrical company is playing unfairly or not doing the standard you believe is good, then there are options to remove your business from them. You can now purchase consumer sized wind turbines and solar panels nowadays.. :-) And with these types of power, you have batteries storing the power, so the chances of your grow room ever getting hit with a black out are slim to none.

Nope don't call them. Pay your bill and ignore it. As long as you keep paying they will leave you be.

Believe it or not the electric utility makes its money from commercial customers. Residential is not where the money is at. They provide you power to keep you happy so they can milk the commercial customers. If you want more supply you need to talk to the federal government. Its the feds who decide when to upgrade the electric grid to handle more load not DTE. And a fallen tree will knock down a brand new wire just the same as a 50 year old wire, brand new lines won't guarantee no more outages. The best way they can spend there money for reliability is to clear the tree branches from near the lines and make sure the electric poles are in good shape.

100 plants in a 900 square foot home is insane. I also dont think PA has a medical law. Also, maybe the LEO was tipped onto the house before the electric company and just asked them to comply by giving the energy usage. Any LEO can walk into the energy store and ask to see energy usage of any address. This isn't private information.

I dont see a big problem in them sending you a letter. Don't take it personal. We are in the day and age where Americans consume as much as possible. This lifestyle needs to be changed. Pay your bill and try to consume less.

Do you mean the prosecutor of Wyandotte, MI?

And if I'm not mistaken a judge has to approve the search warrant request as well correct? I know that doesn't mean much these days but I assume the PA can't just order a search without approval. So maybe there was more information that they had on the location. Electric usage has always been one of the indicators that something is going on. But that alone should not be enough to justify searching a home.

This happened to me a couple of years ago. I was breeding South and Central American Cichlids in my basement. I had over 14 tanks running the smallest being two 55 gallon tanks. They called and I told them what I was up to. My wife thought I was crazy but for the next four months everyday between 5 and 7 PM the Oakland County Sheriff's helicopter was in the area of where my home is, 10 to 20 minutes at a time. LOL I mean everyday!! It was comical really. Even when I showed her the darn helicopter for an entire week, she still thought I was insane. I felt like I was in "Goodfellas" I wasn't concerned as I was just breeding fish but my bill was $750.00 average every month.

Do you mean the prosecutor of Wyandotte, MI?

And if I'm not mistaken a judge has to approve the search warrant request as well correct? I know that doesn't mean much these days but I assume the PA can't just order a search without approval. So maybe there was more information that they had on the location. Electric usage has always been one of the indicators that something is going on. But that alone should not be enough to yjustify searching a home.

Repeated it they way it was told to me and typed while this person was passing the info. Yes the protocol was inaccurate but this person was very upset. I did clarify late last night that the magistrate signed the search warrent after electric co tipped off Leo who watched the house and then house was raided. The whole point is Leo is being tipped off by the utilities of high power usage and homes are being raided. They don't question commercial buildings due to expected high power usage.

Archived