• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Meangreen222

Meangreen222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:48 PM

I just tried molasses in my water for the first time in my recirculating DWC system, I'm running it with nutes in RO water. PH fluctuation seems normal so far, I'm on day 2, the only problem is a buildup of foam in the buckets that have air stones. I used a dose of one TSP of molasses per gallon. My question is, is this foam going to hurt anything? I've been using a spray bottle filled with RO water to pop the bubbles in the foam and it seems to be working out OK. I also run 1 ml per gallon of 29% H2O2, which is why I'm guessing that this is just a matter of the air stones blowing bubbles and not some crazy growth in my reservoir. Any input is appreciated.

#2 Bisharoo

Bisharoo

Audio/Visual Expansionist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationSomewhere out there, between dimensions...

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:54 PM

Sounds interesting, we'll see what some experts say about using molasses in hydro. Nice second post.
Welcome Meangreen222!![media]Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 bob boberson

bob boberson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

Why did you put sugar in the water?

#4 Meangreen222

Meangreen222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:43 PM

Why did you put sugar in the water?

I added it trying to add density to the flowers. And thanks for the welcome :)

#5 1337Gr33n

1337Gr33n

Faded

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:08 PM

Welcome to the site!
i have two thoughts on this. the first is that even organic black strap molasses does not get broken down in DWC the same way it is in soil. for that reason, it is not advisable. There are specific products out there to add sugars to your plants. Bud Candy is on popular one, but i have never used that.
My second thought is that foam tend to occur in DWC when more biological agents are present. My hunch is that the molasses has caused this, as there are bacteria in the molasses that could cause this. in itself, this isn't anything to worry too much about. But i think taking molasses out of your dwc grow would be better for it in those ways, losing the foam and not adding things that cannot be taken up by the plant immediately.
Happy growing, and remember to take everything you hear here balanced against the common wisdom, basic biology, and your knowledge of your genetics in the plants, as well as the area they live in!

#6 Meangreen222

Meangreen222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

Thanks for the advise, I've talked to a few other people I know as well and they're saying the same things.

#7 bob boberson

bob boberson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

I added it trying to add density to the flowers. And thanks for the welcome :)

You want answers or love?
Don't put that in there, just the regular nutes, no other mumbo-jumbo.
I've heard molasses is supposed to make the weed taste better if used in the last weeks of flowering, I would think sugar would dissolve better and still give the same result. If it does effect the taste at all.
Decent genetics, not to much stretching and plenty of light, give firm nugs, the last being the most important.

Edited by bob boberson, 17 August 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#8 pjaynes

pjaynes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

there are so many products on the market that claim big buds or sweet buds growing hydro has its advanteges but it can be tricky at times in my experience keep it simple less is best find a method and products that work and stick with it for me i run general hydro nuts but i use advance big bud and bud candy in flower i have had great results! I have heard of people use molasses but it was black strap molasses and it was soil growers

#9 Meangreen222

Meangreen222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for the input all, I'm running advanced nutrients 2 part for nutes, and I've got big bud and bud candy on hand, I'm actually switching the water out as I type this :P

#10 treehugger

treehugger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

I abhor the flavor of molasses in my meds, try cod liver oil, that'll add some flavor too...(sarcasm)

Frankly, molasses is a just a crutch for bad growing practices, makes most meds "generic", and contributes to poor combustion. I generally find it to be a marker for poor inherent quality.

#11 Green-Nubie

Green-Nubie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Locationlower michigan..

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:19 PM

Molasses feeds bacteria. The foam is a clue u have bacteria brewing. Literally.. good or bad bacteria I don't know. My guess is bad unless u use beneficial bacteria.

#12 ToadInCan

ToadInCan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:43 PM

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a newb, but I've gotten comfortable enough with growing that I'm willing to experiment. I added 5ml of Earth Juice Hi-Brix molasses to one tote. The pics tell the story. I don't know about the smokeability, but I'll let you know in about six weeks or so. These plants are only a few days apart. The first two pics are with molasses, the last pic without. I haven't had any issue with foaming.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 newbie313

newbie313

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Keep us updated.

#14 ToadInCan

ToadInCan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:33 PM

Keep us updated.

I will. It's interesting to see these plants side by side. I know much more about how we use sugars to generate ATP, which is the energy that we use. It's a metabolic process of respiration. But plants use transpairation, and that's really different. I'll tell you what I see. The plants without molasses are building typical buds. Airy buds, like I'm used to seeing. Nice big full colas, which start nine or ten inches below the tip. Based on my experience, they'll fill up nicely and produce some beautiful tall buds. The plant that got molasses at four weeks is distinctly different. The buds are stacking in the nine to ten inch range, but they are staying separate. Instead of a really large airy cola, they are producing large dense nuggets. The calixes seem to be exploding from them. I know that the plant uses the energy from the light, along with the nutrients, to produce the sugar necessary for growth. I'm hypothesizing here, but by dumb luck I might have provided them with sugar at just the right time to promote individual bud development. I gave them another shot of molasse this week, so it was 5ml into six gallons of nutes at four weeks, and 5ml again at eight weeks. Don't know if I'll do it again, but I've definitely got more density in the plant that got molasses. The foliar development looks better also. Trichomes look almost identical at eight weeks, but the nuggets look heavier. And I have to admit that I'm having fun!

#15 newbie313

newbie313

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:20 AM

I used molasses in my last grow with.just three of my plants abdthey had denser buds... by far, however I cannot fully attribute this to molasses as i dis other things to them that werE Different than the rest. But I am very interested in your reaults...

#16 Meangreen222

Meangreen222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:06 PM

I will. It's interesting to see these plants side by side. I know much more about how we use sugars to generate ATP, which is the energy that we use. It's a metabolic process of respiration. But plants use transpairation, and that's really different. I'll tell you what I see. The plants without molasses are building typical buds. Airy buds, like I'm used to seeing. Nice big full colas, which start nine or ten inches below the tip. Based on my experience, they'll fill up nicely and produce some beautiful tall buds. The plant that got molasses at four weeks is distinctly different. The buds are stacking in the nine to ten inch range, but they are staying separate. Instead of a really large airy cola, they are producing large dense nuggets. The calixes seem to be exploding from them. I know that the plant uses the energy from the light, along with the nutrients, to produce the sugar necessary for growth. I'm hypothesizing here, but by dumb luck I might have provided them with sugar at just the right time to promote individual bud development. I gave them another shot of molasse this week, so it was 5ml into six gallons of nutes at four weeks, and 5ml again at eight weeks. Don't know if I'll do it again, but I've definitely got more density in the plant that got molasses. The foliar development looks better also. Trichomes look almost identical at eight weeks, but the nuggets look heavier. And I have to admit that I'm having fun!

What you're reporting is the type of thing I had read about and was trying to recreate, but I notice that you were using much less molasses than I was. I had read that you want to use one tsp per gallon, which is around 5 times what you used, that could have been part of the problem I'd imagine. Also, I still don't think the foam had anything to do with any type of growth, if it was a growth it seems like it would have kept growing after I changed the water, instead what happened was that the foam simply melted into the new water and disappeared.

#17 newbie313

newbie313

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:11 PM

So... Do we have an official verdict on molasses?

#18 ToadInCan

ToadInCan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:22 PM

So... Do we have an official verdict on molasses?

Not an official verdict, but I'll tell you what I see. Side by side comparison. OGKush, nine and a half weeks in flower from the same mother. The plant that got molasses is still building seperated buds. They're dense! The plant without molasses is building colas, stacked up colas that are approaching a foot tall. It really is interesting to see the difference from giving them some readily available sugar. The seperate buds are more dense. Trichomes on both plants are just getting cloudy. Maybe a hint of amber here and there. It'll be interesting to see the difference in mass. I'm gonna go into flush soon, and I'll keep you posted. The colas without molasses are heavier. I know that because I've had to truss them up. But maybe the branches got stronger on the plant with the molasses bump.The no-molasses plant is getting so heavy that they flopped. I'm gonna try this again with more molasses next time. It's fun to play around a bit. I'll give you a smokeability report in a few weeks.

#19 Meangreen222

Meangreen222

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:33 AM

Not an official verdict, but I'll tell you what I see. Side by side comparison. OGKush, nine and a half weeks in flower from the same mother. The plant that got molasses is still building seperated buds. They're dense! The plant without molasses is building colas, stacked up colas that are approaching a foot tall. It really is interesting to see the difference from giving them some readily available sugar. The seperate buds are more dense. Trichomes on both plants are just getting cloudy. Maybe a hint of amber here and there. It'll be interesting to see the difference in mass. I'm gonna go into flush soon, and I'll keep you posted. The colas without molasses are heavier. I know that because I've had to truss them up. But maybe the branches got stronger on the plant with the molasses bump.The no-molasses plant is getting so heavy that they flopped. I'm gonna try this again with more molasses next time. It's fun to play around a bit. I'll give you a smokeability report in a few weeks.

Thanks again for the information, it is much appreciated.

#20 newbie313

newbie313

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:44 AM

Awesome... Thanks... Keep me updated... I am very interested as I have some taking molasses as we speak :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users