Treating A 13 Year Old

My 13 year old daughter (and 8 year old son) have severe intention (essential) tremor due to a mitochondrial disorder affecting them neurologically. They both use wheelchairs because of gross motor issues, but the tremor is by far the most troublesome symptom. It makes it impossible to write, carry things, bathe easily, or eat with utensils. My aunt is a caregiver in Maine and she told me about a patient who has MS and how marijuana calmed her tremors significantly.

But I'm afraid to give it to my kids until I feel more comfortable with it. I wouldn't have them smoke it, she told me there were a few different delivery systems, but I'd love advice on what the pros and cons are. Anyone with experience treating their own children with it?

Thanks, Paige

I'm an MS patient and use only cannabis for the symptoms. Not perfect but superior to the pharm poisons.

For a 13 year old, you might think of starting with the absolute minimum dosage. Preparation may be key to benefits. I'm no expert Dr Bob or PeanutButter would know.

I heard there's a 5 year old boy, a cancer patient, and his mom cooks cannabis with his food.

Where's Dr Bob or PB? They would know what to do. I'm sure they'll be here. Hey guys... :rock:

I do not know of the affects of marijuana on tremors but it sounds like it does help.

I do know there is a procedure that they do where something is surgically installed in

the brain that helps with certain tremors. Good luck and I hope things get better for your

children.

Thanks for the quick replies. I will keep thinking about your advice.

Ozzrokk, I am familiar with Deep Brain Stimulation and it does do wonders for some, but the people it helps have a disease (like those with Parkinson's) that has been located to a specific place in the brain. So the Drs put the stimulator in that point or location. The place in the brain where my kids' problems stem from cannot be pinpointed close enough for them to get the stimulator in the right place. Boy, I wish it could be though. Good thought! Thanks!

I can't speak to treating children, but I can on different delivery systems. I personally don't like smoking. I do from time to time, but not often.

I make Rick Simpson Oil (RSO) and take it as a pill. I also treat a paraplegic with it that has severe musle spasms and it works well for both of us. You can also take the RSO and put it in food, on a cracker, etc., as it is already activated and ready to use.

The biggest issue I find with RSO is that it is very potent and it only takes a very very small amount to get an effect on someone who hasn't used THC before. RSO can be dissolved in oil (butter), alcohol, or taken directly. It can also be made into a salve or balm for topical use.

From what you have said, I think oral ingesting would be the right way to go if you decide to use marijuana as a treatment. I saw a video of a person with MS that could barely walk, an hour after taking it they didn't even need a walker to get around. Not what I would call steady, but it helped significantly.

When taken as a medicine, it doesn't need to produce a high or stoned feeling, if the patient feels spinning or dizzy, back off the dose. The best part of marijuana, is it can't kill you, even in a significant overdose. The worst it does is make you tired and puts you to sleep for an extended period.

Read all you can. I can't even imagine the stress of a parent trying to decide if MMJ is the right choice for a minor. If you do decide to try it, try to find someone experienced who can help with dosing. for a 13 year old, I wouldn't even use 1/4 the size of a short grain of rice to start.

Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Cedar

Thanks for the quick replies. I will keep thinking about your advice.

Ozzrokk, I am familiar with Deep Brain Stimulation and it does do wonders for some, but the people it helps have a disease (like those with Parkinson's) that has been located to a specific place in the brain. So the Drs put the stimulator in that point or location. The place in the brain where my kids' problems stem from cannot be pinpointed close enough for them to get the stimulator in the right place. Boy, I wish it could be though. Good thought! Thanks!

Yep that is the one I was talking about. Sorry to hear they

cannot pinpoint. Will be thinking and praying for you and

your children.

Thanks, CedarSprings, for the info and the video. If it worked for my kids it would open up so many things that most of us take for granted. Just eating like a normal person (I feed my daughter most things) or typing on the computer easier so she can do her own school work. And thanks for your prayers, Ozzrokk.

I've been looking around the forum a bit though and now I'm scared. My understanding was that under Michigan state law it was legal if you go though the right qualifications and get the card, etc. but that it was still technically illegal on a federal level. And there's talk of the legislature "messing things up" and people being taken off to jail. I have 3 children and a husband. I cannot be arrested and taken to jail. I want to try this for my children, but what in the world am I getting into?

I have to be the caregiver for my kids if we go forward with this, but does that mean I have to grow it? Are you more likely to land in jail if you grow it? I don't want others to shoulder all the risk, but I can't endanger my whole family for the benefit this might offer. Good grief, I'm scaring myself just writing this :(

Unfortanately Paige, it is kinda scary out there right now. But it seems that dispensarys, doctors and farmers markets are the ones on the chopping block. They seem to be trying to stop patients from becomeing legal and getting the medicine they legally are allowed to get. Ive seen it have AMAZING effect on children with Autism, and a young woman with Huntingtons Disease. Her tremors are horribly bad and would fling her down to the ground (90 lbs soaking wet). The Marijuana slows her tremors down, helps with the jerkyness, and keeps her somewhat able to do most for herself.

It sucks that as a mother your looking to find something that will help your children and not hurt them like the pharmo's do, yet, get discouraged because of all the trouble the state is causing with the patients that this medicine helps. The people voted! But I understand where your coming from, the greatest thing going for us is that there is NO LIST, they dont know who is legal and who is not, but if you follow the law it would be hard for them to know!

The RSO would be a good thing to use, but also the butters, oils, and topicals are great also. I myself dont smoke it much, I eat it with non sugary foods and use a topical that I LOVE!!!! Its great to finally have some releif without all the ill side effects...

Also, one thing I found when looking into it for a child with Aichardi disease (Part of Brain stem didnt develope, causing massive seizures and cognitive problems) was that no proof is out there that is causes any long term ill effects. I didnt find any proof or stories of proof that by ingesting marijuana it caused any long term side effects. I think that is the part we need to watch for, the fact that it doesnt hurt people, you cant OD from it, it has no ILL side-effects, and it helps in tons of ways, like its naturally individualized to help the patient where the patient needs it to help. Some with pain, some with seizures, some with eating, some with cognitive, spasms, tumors, autism, nerve damage... It plugs right into our Cannibinoid system and repairs those cells, giving reielf where needed.

I hope you find the information you need, and if ever any questions, dont hesitate to ask. I pray that if you choose to use Marijuana, that it will help your children and their quality of life, because as a mother, I know that is what we want for our kids.

Look up Montel and/or marijuana for autistic children... I have seen several segments on it and it all has good reviews on how it has helped them...

Good Luck

Peace

B

Thank you Bethany. That is helpful and encouraging. When I hear how this medicine is helping so many it just makes my heart leap thinking that maybe there's something safe that might help my kids. We've tried so many drugs that gave just a little relief, but the side effects were too much to justify the little improvement.

How is it there's no list if we have to register with the state to get the card? Couldn't the authorities just come to our homes and search them since they have documentation that we have applied to have the stuff? I mean federal authorities? I know that in the end there are just some risks inherent in this situation and I'll have to decide if it's worth it. But it's just too tempting when I know it might help them. That's been my prayer for so many years. So many years.

ANd thanks, Blueberry for the list you posted. I've been looking through it, boy it's huge, and learning a lot on this site. So good.

Any opinions about this: I'm getting ready to make an appointment in Detroit with Michigan's Choice, a group that helps you get in touch with doctors who can sign off and also make sure you get all your paperwork straight, etc. Anybody heard of them, had a good experience with them? I read that most doctors can actually lose their licenses for writing a rx even if it's legal in the state? I asked my kids' geneticist and he looked at me like I was crazy. He's with U of M. so I figured that all the Dr's with U of M would have to say no. Any hoo.

Love talking with you all, and thank you so much for your generosity and kind words!.. Paige

if you decide to use mm for your children,,you can make butter and all kinds of oils that can be injested and not smoked,,,injested mm is far more effective in my opinion any how,,,with butter you can make em cookies brownies toast,,just about anything,it dont take alot,,,I believe there is something in mmj that helps everything that ails you!

Peace and good luck please keep us posted!

FTW

Jim

Paige,

It is scary, but really the people they are going after are the large growers and anyone in the public eye. Yes you would have to be their caregiver, but you can acquire it from any source, meaning another caregiver or a farmers market. If you have a small amount at home, then you are protected under state law, and it wouldn't be enough for the feds to even bother.

I am not trying to talk you into doing this, I am just trying to calm your fears of prosecution. Don't let that deter you from helping your children. Especially if your not growing, More than 1 million Michigan Residents use marijuana at least once a year and don't fear prosecution. Small amounts are not going to get you in trouble.

Best thing though is to talk to a Dr that is not anti-mmj, and knows the condition you children face, so that he/she can tell you if it might help or not, and what to expect in treatment.

Cedar

Paige, one of the doctors working for my certificiation clinic would do intake on your kids to see whether they would qualify. If they do he will sign their certification. You need two Certs signed by two doctors for a patient under 18 so look to us for one. We're based in Lansing, may be able to do a house call. We have certified a 16 year old and a 10 year old in the past with compelling cases. Call me at 877.MED.KWIK for more details.

Paige, one of the doctors working for my certificiation clinic would do intake on your kids to see whether they would qualify. If they do he will sign their certification. You need two Certs signed by two doctors for a patient under 18 so look to us for one. We're based in Lansing, may be able to do a house call. We have certified a 16 year old and a 10 year old in the past with compelling cases. Call me at 877.MED.KWIK for more details.

THANK YOU

paige i know how you feel i have a son with cp in his legs and his mother and i have talked about getting him certified as well he has already had one surgery where they have cut his Achilles tendon and his arches in his feet have all but collapsed the cp in his legs makes it so that his muscles in his legs are always flexed try flexing your leg muscles and see how long you can do that before it starts to hurt that is him all the time they have him on about 6 to 9 different pills just to help him right now but i know that taking that meaning pills can't be good for a 12 year old so we have be dissing it good luck with your search i really think that we are going to start looking to get him on mmj im already on it for a sever back issue and i also have and arthritis in my knees that they want to replace my knees already at 40 but they told me that it may not work and that it will only be a temp solution that i will be in the same spot im currently in within 5 to 10 years and that it will not take away the pain so good luck i hope it goes well for you you are in the right place to get help the mmma has helped many people and will in my opinion continue to do so this is a great place for the sick and the people that are trying to help them

Thanks again everyone for your replies and your encouragement. I feel better that I probably won't land in jail. I have an appointment next week with Michigan's Choice to see a doctor. I may have to postpone it because the gov wants a photo ID even from a minor. I think I'll have to go to the Sec. of State and get an iD card made, but it could take 2 weeks to get it in the mail.

ccpulsipher, I'm sorry to hear about your son. Spasticity is awful. Luckily my daughter only has minor spasticity in her left arm and we've recently started getting botox injections and that has been the first thing to ever be helpful for her. Just making it easier to get her clothes on is a big deal. I'll try to keep posted about how things go since it seems like there's almost no info out there about treating minors.

GreenCross, thanks for your info. I will keep you in mind for further help if things don't go well otherwise. Thank you!

PB, what's with the chopper? :D

Archived